Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 366
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 27,454 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Just poppjng in briefly, not at home right now so borrowing internet. Work in the house is going wild... will talk on that later. Love to all xx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Oct 16, 7:17 AM
    • 10,917 Posts
    • 30,687 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - at least its getting done Softstuff. Shouldnt be long now before it's all done and dusted. Errr...slight correction - to allow for the extra dusting that tends to need doing for months after major work

Then you can sit back and take your ease - well you could...I wouldnt care to bet that you will though (knowing you).
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 41,732 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Have a lovely holiday monnagran xx

I may not post again for a few days, as poorly brother is coming to stay for a couple of days. He's only here for 2 full days iyswim, so it's been really difficult making sure he and the children/grandchildren get to see each other as all were already very busy this weekend and I've ended up with migraine
    Managed it in the end though by the children suggesting possible times.

Thinking of you Softstuff, hope you know where the gin is and I think you'd better have one for me too while you're at it!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    • 10,917 Posts
    • 30,687 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well - with that Full Moon talk and Halloween coming up - one that's going the rounds and makes me laugh. Could do with a laugh again - after a bit of a downer "You should conform" conversation yesterday.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/05/witches-dancing-german-reggae.html
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hello all Isn't it quiet without dear Monna ? I hope she's enjoying her break and her extremities haven't turned blue .
    Have a good if rather hectic weekend Ivyleaf ,
    Thoughts as always with Mar x
    Hester seems very quiet , I hope all is as good as can be for you both .
    I've had a lazy day today . Heavy , leaden skies and pouring rain didn't inspire much activity . I've really been looking forward to doing my impression of the hare gazing at the moon as my birth sign is ruled by the moon . Doubt I will even get a glimpse with the heavy cloud .
    Hope you are enjoying a break from the disruption SS .
    Take care all x
    polly
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 15th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 8,822 Thanks
    shanks77
    Well you can tell I'm on hols as it hasn't stopped raining since I left work at 7am yesterday . Oh well at least I don't have to go back for 2 wks.
    Hope Monna and nursemaggie both have lovely breaks away.
    Hope everyone keeps warm and dry and has a good weekend xx
    • burtha
    • By burtha 15th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,158 Thanks
    burtha
    Hi all,
    Have given in tonight and ordered a takeaway, for kids /dh, absolutely frozen been face painting all day outside, sooooo cold , not home till about 30 mins ago ....will warm up before back out to the bar ....
    Hope all on holiday are having a good time
    X
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 16th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,032 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

I spent yesterday working, trying to ensure I meet my deadline so today is over to chores and a bit of time sewing/relaxing if possible. OH is off on half term so is taking on most of the household stuff for a bit.

For once we've had lovely weather up here. I'm still getting washing mostly dry on the line, it just has to be brought in and finished off overnight for the corners and thick bits. Radiators are going on in the evenings now, but only once we're chilled.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 16th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 27,454 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Brief drop in again, things here are... difficult.

The industrial grinder barely made a dint in the tile glue. A lot of dust but no action. So I've been chiselling it off with a hammer and chisel. I've also taken down a wall, removed a lot of architrave and generally worked myself senseless. Tomorrow more chiselling, the Tuesday the tiler is back.

So glad we only have 110m2 of floor.....
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    SS Maybe you should ask GQ to send Nursie over again , she'll soon shift it ! whether you can then is shift her is another matter
    Have a good day all .
    polly x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 16th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 13,301 Posts
    • 122,743 Thanks
    mardatha
    Has anybody watched the BBC series on life in the Victorian slums? I followed links on the BBC site and read a fascinating report on Vicotoran diet and life expectancy.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 16th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 27,454 Thanks
    Softstuff
    SS Maybe you should ask GQ to send Nursie over again , she'll soon shift it ! whether you can then is shift her is another matter
    Have a good day all .
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Right now if I thought she'd do it, she could move in. Sadly Nursie is nobody's fool and if manual labour is involved she makes sure someone else is doing it.
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 16th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 15,565 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Has anybody watched the BBC series on life in the Victorian slums? I followed links on the BBC site and read a fascinating report on Vicotoran diet and life expectancy.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Read an article about this - going to have a look at it later today. I always think that a massive impact through modern life is the lack of physical activity in our day to day lives - even those of us who exercise regularly. I know when we moved to the mainland I had to be much more careful about how much and what I ate - I think a combination of home-produced food and the work entailed in crofting kept me much healthier than I am today.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Mar I watched the first episode last Monday and am looking forward to part 2 tomorrow night . I have always been interested in the social history of Britain particuarly from Victorian times - my interest is the lives of ordinary people . Last week was really quite sobering although a re- enactment . For the whole family focus each week was to be able to just keep a roof over their heads without any food etc being possible unless that first target was met and maybe a little left over is unthinkable now for most of us . I found the links interesting and over the years have sent for many of the ou information on the background to these series offered free via the bbc website .
    WCS I agree with your post . I felt much fitter when things were tougher and I think the extra activity and determination led to a more positive mindset .
    polly
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 10,917 Posts
    • 30,687 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Right now if I thought she'd do it, she could move in. Sadly Nursie is nobody's fool and if manual labour is involved she makes sure someone else is doing it.
    Originally posted by Softstuff

I must admit that my laughter there was at my own expense - as Nursie and I would have that in common. <Visions of clean pair of heels running up the road in the other direction>

Mere thought of manual labour - and I'm figuring out if I can find money to throw at it to persuade someone else to do it...

Hence my astonished admiration at how much you are doing

Do take care though - as I've certainly been very curious as to why so many people in the area I'm now in come over as so visibly unhealthy as they walk down the street - compared to what I'm used to seeing. Finally got an answer to my queries on that and it seems to boil down to many of them have spent years doing hard physical work on all the tiny farms round here and that, coupled with noticing many will go out in a lot harsher weather than I will, would explain it. I didnt realise it could have that effect.....

Yep...that makes me a "soft Southerner" I know...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 16-10-2016 at 3:52 PM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th Oct 16, 4:56 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 21,168 Thanks
    Floss
    ...I've certainly been very curious as to why so many people in the area I'm now in come over as so visibly unhealthy as they walk down the street - compared to what I'm used to seeing. Finally got an answer to my queries on that and it seems to boil down to many of them have spent years doing hard physical work on all the tiny farms round here and that, coupled with noticing many will go out in a lot harsher weather than I will, would explain it. I didnt realise it could have that effect.....

Yep...that makes me a "soft Southerner" I know...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Improvements in healthcare, housing and living conditions aren't the only reasons we live longer nowadays - the changes in formerly traditional industries and working conditions have helped.

Oh, and if you run a farm, the work needs doing 365 days a year no matter what the weather.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 16th Oct 16, 7:15 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Totally agree Floss . I am grateful for my milkman who delivers my milk in glass bottles long before most of the world is awake and has never let me down in the snowy times when shops struggle to get their supplies . Likewise , the postman , emergency services , public transport , medical staff and all who keep the world turning .
    I never try to assess people by appearance , I have met a lord of the manor who on appearance would have been judged a vagrant with twine holding his jacket together as he mucked in with the estate workers .
    My wish would be a life well lived and empathy and caring for all . I will probably end up like the velveteen rabbit , a bit broken and shabby round the edges but loved
    polly
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 16th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 27,454 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thanks Mtstm, I am taking care. I see tradesmen and their injuries often (we have a few tradie friends ), the difference is that they do it week in week out. I think often with builders and general tradespeople, the "how to" knowledge isn't what you pay for (my builder friend says "any fool can do it, I do") you can find that out if you're determined, it's the grunt and experience that lets them do it at speed and successfully first time and more importantly you pay for wear and tear on their body.

My friend, builder/chippie, has 2 !!!!!!ed knees, a terrible back, persistent shoulder problems, is missing the tips of 2 fingers and has a couple that are flatter than they were as a boy. Yet he's working full time. He's impressed at my progress, he says if he does that for a day he's sore. ... I told him that makes him a wuss I'm sore, but ok, a few bruises. I have exercises and pilates and will return to my normal cushy existence soon enough, hopefully with a couple of new muscles to show for it. Oh, and a level floor.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,512 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Morning Fencers - I wont say good as it's persisting down still .
    Shanks Would you like to return to work early from your hols ? I'm blaming you . I've been doing my Travis impression and singing " Why does it always rain on me "
    For Mar and anyone else interested there is a website " Hidden lives " which has detail on poverty and family in the victorian era - not the best website out there but a lot of archives . I read about the attitude to the poor and it was truly shocking .
    I've mentioned previously on one of the threads a book Round about a pound a week by Maud Pember Reeves which is an account of how the poor managed or not as the case may be . I see it's still available on the Am*z*n site from various sellers . If interested opt for the virago reprint in paperback as the later hb remake is rubbish .Well I hope the weather is better for you all .
    Sending strength - literally to SS and virtual healing balm for the bruises . Keep focusing on the day when it's all finished .
    polly
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 17th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 8,822 Thanks
    shanks77
    Sorry polly will try and do a sun dance just for you. If it makes u feel better I am being punished by having the most awful cold so I would probably be as well being back at work lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

6,007Users online

Martin's Twitter