Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 365
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 33,542 Thanks
    camelot1001
    monna, I want to be like you! I hope you find something 'just right', I agree with knowing that you will be happy in a house just by walking through the door.

I hope you poorlies feel better soon, rotten feeling under the weather.

I have a fantastic builder, it's just getting him here is the problem. Well, he calls in a lot for tea and a chat but work is another matter!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 13th Oct 16, 7:20 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Lots of builders afoot!

Nursmaggie I' sure it was irritating for you at the time, but I do hope I've still got some life and spirit in me at that age.

Work is still absolutely full throttle. I have until next Wednesday to finish this task. I have no idea if I'm on track or not so I'll just keep working as hard as I can and we'll see at the end! I'm also teaching new things this year and I like to make sure I'm current on all of the details so I'm doing a bit of extra reading etc..in my spare time, you see.

I don't think OH enjoyed the salmon parcels last night, so they won't be repeated--unless I'm on my own one evening as I thought they were delicious. I'll use some of the leftover ingredients in some pasta for my lunch and then I think we're having baked sweet potatoes, hummus and salad for tea. I have craft group tonight but I may not make it--it may be nice to get out and do something relaxing but I may be too shattered by then. I'll make my mind up while I'm at the gym. My walk yesterday was the first one of the year where I needed a coat--the weather has now properly turned. It also doused my nearly dry washing, just to keep me on my toes!

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 13,295 Posts
    • 122,707 Thanks
    mardatha
    Since the gallstones episode of Saturday night, I now need to find some recipes for low fat food. Salmon was one of the things I thought of. I like some grease in my food and am not happy. Again lol. I seem to spend my life worrying over recipes and food. Gawd knows what I'd have been like in the war- imagine me with rationing!! my god lol
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 40,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Monna - never thought you were a candidate for sheltered accommodation by a long chalk!! I think all of us value our independence - the company of like minded people is what binds this lovely thread.
    Well my little boat is being lifted out of the water on Saturday along with all the others at our club. She won't go back in the water until next year, late March or early April. Never even got across to the island this year and I so wanted to meet Monna for a sherbet or two!! Never mind - there's next season and more to chat about! It will be really hectic on Saturday as the crane arrives at 7.30 and we have 50 boats to lift out in a 4 hour window. DH will be helping with the stropping and I'm in the galley making bacon and sausage buggies to keep everyone going. I know we'll all be shattered on Sunday! Just hope it doesn't rain.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 28,195 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mar: K*l* has no fat. Neither does most of its green friends. Sorry! It rather looks as though you are going to have to give up eating.

Nursemaggie: I would rather like to be the sort of old person who played heavy metal music (in Welsh) at 5.00am. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, I hate heavy metal and I'm fast asleep at that time.

Silvasava: The thought of lifting 50 floatingthings out of the water is a huge task. DS2 and a few friends helped an old fisherman here get his little old fishing boat out of the water at the weekend. DiL begged him to film the process as that group of friends are all comedians.
    So sorry that you didn't make it to the Island this year. There's nothing else for it, I will have to make the perilous journey to the mainland, or England, as an old gent over here insists we call it.

I'm off tomorrow to spend a week with my DB and SIL. Looking forward to it, they are lovely to be with. Don't know quite what sort of clothes to take. My winter clothes are still in a vacuum bag somewhere so it will be summer clothes next week plus a cardi and toning blue skin.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 13th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Mar, I think last night's recipe might be too high in fat but you could probably adapt it fairly easily (and most of the bad fat is dairy so might be acceptable)--a higher fat version for the RV and a lower fat but higher carb version for yourself fairly easily.

I used this recipe:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/salmon-leek-parcel

You could easily leave out the capers (I used olives because I prefer them but it is flavourful on its own). Normal soft cheese would be fine instead of mascarpone and I reckon low fat would do too. You could even leave the cheese out of your portion, layer with the leeks and do spuds for yourself and none (or one ) for the RV. Dried dill would also be absolutely fine.

Otherwise, it is pretty easy to make up your own fish parcels--lemon juice does well on almost any fish and any veg--although most probably needs to be pre-steamed before going in to be fully cooked. Ironically you'd probably do well on a ration diet, it is the RV who would struggle more with the high carbs!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 13,295 Posts
    • 122,707 Thanks
    mardatha
    I find it really the pits that as a person who hates cooking, I have to be landed with a household of two people, neither of whom can eat anything the hell the other one can .
    Thanks for this FPK xx. I had already ordered this week's food from Sainsbugs and what is in the fridge now is duck and lamb. The very thought of eating them is making the gallstones
    He is doing so well on high fat and it's going to be a pain in the a$$ to to do 2 different lots of everything. But then what else have I got to do with my time....apart from about 5 million things more exciting than damn bloody cooking lol
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 42,089 Thanks
    Jazee
    When I make salmon parcels, I just get a few sheets of filo (low fat) put a piece of salmon in, some spinach on top and a squeeze of lemon juice, wrap the parcels and bake at 200 deg for 20 mins.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! Jan £0

• westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 13th Oct 16, 5:22 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 15,538 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Mar would it be worth asking to be referred to the dietician? When we found out about youngest and middle's allergens (both different) she was great finding stuff we could all eat, or easily adapt, based on what we wanted to eat and what was available out here.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 13,295 Posts
    • 122,707 Thanks
    mardatha
    Right this minute WCS, I feel like I've had enough of that hospital and the long road down to it and back up again lol. Never seem to be out of the place now. Maybe after the winter though, ty for that x
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 13th Oct 16, 7:06 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Jazee, Ridiculously it has never occurred to me to use filo for salmon parcels, I always just use parchment paper and tear them open but I use the same temperature and time as you.

Mar--there are low GI and diabetes friendly recipes on BBC Good Food and since they put the nutrition information up it is fairly easy to see what the fat content is. I find they still use potatoes and rice sometimes mixed with protein which isn't low enough for some, so you might have to pick and choose but I do find the recipes reliable. Might be worth a look if you just can't face asking to see the dietitian! You should definitely be able to find some things that both of you can eat that don't take hours to make and don't cost the earth.

Well, no craft group tonight as the dinner is still cooking and I'd need to be on a train now but I did make it to the gym and finish all of today's work.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Monna wishing you a lovely holiday . Do you have any thermals handy ? looking at the weather forecasts you may be more than a little blue - mind you they often get it wrong .
    Mar I wish I had the cash to send you somewhere warm and interesting for a break from all the madness , naturally with a personal chef at hand to cater for you both . We'll have to rely on Monnas lottery ticket yet again !
    Take care all
    polly
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 28,195 Thanks
    monnagran
    No luck so far, Pollyanna. I firmly believe that my guardian Angel drinks.

x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 19,283 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Have a nice holiday Monna.

I am flying to Malta tomorrow. See you all on 25th when I get back.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Oct 16, 9:51 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 28,195 Thanks
    monnagran
    Have a real break nursemaggie. You so deserve a lovely holiday.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Monna sometimes you should post a warning before you post , I choked on my tea - poor guardian angel !
    NM I wish you a lovely holiday , enjoy every minute .
    polly
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 33,542 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Have a well earned rest nursemaggie!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Oct 16, 8:30 AM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 40,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Happy Holiday NM and enjoy your break Monna. Hitting my list of little jobs today - one of them being sorting out DH's phone as he's a technophobe - should be fun.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 41,663 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Too late I suppose, but the thought's there - have a lovely time nursemaggie.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 14th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    I'm also too late, but I hope you have fun NurseMaggie! I hope it is nice to catch up with your family.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,852Posts Today

6,200Users online

Martin's Twitter