Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 364
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 27,367 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I used to buy heart for my owls, because it's tough it gives them good exercise ripping it up lol
    Originally posted by mardatha
    It wasn't tough cooked like this Mardatha, I'm guessing the tough bits are the bits that get removed when you chop it.

Ivyleaf, today is beginning to go the same way. It's 7.30am here and I've already had a chap come round for garden furniture, had a skip delivered, given naming advice on a piece of software, washed up from last night (I fell asleep last night and didn't ), made brekkie for hubby and washed up. I wish I could say I was sleeping well but I spent half of last night stewing over the telephone interview

Today we shift the rest of our belongings and start taping up rooms.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 10,853 Posts
    • 30,561 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Softstuff - fingers crossed re that telephone interview.

Sounds like you are well into "It never rains but it pours" mode in your life right now - all that work on the house and that telephone thing bang in the middle of it.

Have you actually had that phone interview yet? - or it's just been put in your diary as arranged and you're still waiting to actually have it?
    There are some truths that are - quite obviously - self-evident.

What a pity that we can't all agree on the "It's obvious innit..." things in life...
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 27,367 Thanks
    Softstuff

Have you actually had that phone interview yet? - or it's just been put in your diary as arranged and you're still waiting to actually have it?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Have had it and will know by the end of the week, so my fingers are crossed. Not entirely optimistic, since it emerged during the interview that they wanted someone who would also be able to cover at an additional branch. The additional branch is an hours commute each way there by car. I wouldn't want to do that even if I could. The branch I've applied for is 5 minutes by car, 25 minutes on foot. They want a definite 1 day a week with extra cover as and when. From what I've heard of the branch it'll actually be 2 or 3 days a week, with a few full time weeks during the year, in any case, I'd be happy regardless. Not just about the money, but after 12 months doing it I'd be an experienced medical receptionist and jobs in that are everywhere.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Oct 16, 6:03 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 28,360 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Fingers crossed SS, I hope you get the job and it's what you want.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 6:24 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,707 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Yes SS I also am crossing my fingers for you!

The laundry room cabinets and ceiling have received their first coat of paint making it look so clean. Tomorrow I will buy new hinges for them because they have been painted over too many times and look manky. We are waiting for an estimate for moving the hot water heater so my pantry can be built. Years ago we removed the central heating/AC unit and there is a nice space if I can afford to move the other too.

My workman is fast and excellent. Feeling blessed.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 28,152 Thanks
    monnagran
    Islandmaid. Mmmm. We have discussed an annexe. Not possible on this house but maybe somewhere else. Something in me is not too keen but don't know why. I want to be close and accessible but not too close I'm very independent and pretty private and am not ready to give that up.

We'll see.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 27,367 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thanks for the well wishes.

Have shifted all our furniture and are now living impossibly. Hopefully less than a week like this.

My workman is fast and excellent. Feeling blessed.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Send him here when you're done with him! (Don't worry Grrenbee, I'll pass him on after)
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 11,531 Posts
    • 208,096 Thanks
    greenbee
    Send him here when you're done with him! (Don't worry Grrenbee, I'll pass him on after)
    Originally posted by Softstuff

Hope you have a productive week...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 13,280 Posts
    • 122,592 Thanks
    mardatha
    Softstuff owls dont eat it cooked lol so they dont care. It's very tough raw.
    Monna I think you need to move a wee bit further away - if you were in a granny flat then you'd quickly turn into a 24 hr a day domestic help/general maid/nursery nurse. I think there is a danger of that anyway.
    Sorry I sound quite rude today, snot meant it's just early and I hate early!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    • 2,605 Posts
    • 40,609 Thanks
    silvasava
    Monna - just had a look at properties in your area on t'internet - you wer'n't wrong about a lottery win were you! Did see there are some new builds going on though. There were also some nice looking little bungalows but they were part of sheltered accommodation and had a charge of £100pm for facilities Do hope you and your family can find something to suit you all.
    Softstuff - you're leaving me totally breathless! Don't know how you manage all that energy I've been in CBA mode for too long!
    Forgot to add - if they offer you the job would it be worth you taking it to get the experience while you look for something else??
    Hester - hoping you and L&M can find a good way forward
    Last edited by silvasava; 12-10-2016 at 9:38 AM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 10,853 Posts
    • 30,561 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Mila,

Think we'll take turns at your workman.

Don't suppose he fancies a holiday break in Wales? There's some nice scenery here...
    There are some truths that are - quite obviously - self-evident.

What a pity that we can't all agree on the "It's obvious innit..." things in life...
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 12th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Just popping in on a break. Work is very frantic at the moment. I'm looking forward to my walk this afternoon. Leftover spag bol from the freezer for lunch and a new salmon and leek recipe for tea.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 27,367 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Softstuff - you're leaving me totally breathless! Don't know how you manage all that energy I've been in CBA mode for too long!
    Forgot to add - if they offer you the job would it be worth you taking it to get the experience while you look for something else??
    Hester - hoping you and L&M can find a good way forward
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I don't always have energy, don't worry. I have bursts of activity then slouch on the sofa for a while!

As for the job, if I'm offered it just locally I'll certainly take it, but I can't do the distance one, it isn't bus-able and we've only got 1 car. It's not worth getting a car for moneywise.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 27,472 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna - completely understand, it suits some but not others - I'm not sure I would like it either x I believe in whatever is for you will not pass you by
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 28,152 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mila, SS, Greenbee and anyone else enjoying the company of workmen as house guests: you are all brave people. Hang on in there, keep your mind on the outcome, keep your teeth gritted, keep the thought of what it is all costing buried and try to smile when the thousandth person tells you, "It will be lovely when it's finished."

Mar: stay warm and as comfortable as possible. To be fair, the family have never seen me as a handy babysitter, they have very rarely asked me to do anything. My reluctance to live with them is entirely due to my loving my independence and determination to preserve it as long as possible.

Silvasava: I'm sure the time will come when I need to be in sheltered housing but PLEASE. NOT YET.

Islandmaid: I have always believed that when you need something like a house the right one will turn up. I have always found that it works for me.
    I decided to buy my old cottage before I'd even seen inside it. My friend who was with me was appalled.
    The next house that I really wanted because it was so perfect I missed out on because someone pipped me to the post. I bought one nearby but was bitterly disappointed. I heard later that the house I missed out on had a million things wrong with it and it was over a year before the owners could move in. Phew! What an escape.
    This house is one of about 5 houses I looked at in one day and the minute I walked into it it felt like home.
    I'm sure that will happen again.

I'm so excited!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 27,367 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Monnagran, sheltered housing isn't inevitable, a friend of mine is 87 this year. Last year she moved in with her daughter. It didn't last, she hated it, so she's back in her own flat now and fully independent. She doesn't like being told what to do and thinks she's old enough to do as she pleases.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 12th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 19,269 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    No one tells you what to do in sheltered housing it is just in case. If you do get told what to do it is most likely you are being inconsiderate to your neighbours.

I never thought, when running a nursing home, that I would have to ban music before 8am until I had a resident who played heavy metal at 5am and in Welsh as well. I thought with them all being over 80 they would have learned better.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 28,152 Thanks
    monnagran
    Softsruff: Bully for your friend. I hope and pray that I will take after my father who lived in his own home, in his own idiosyncratic way, to his own inflexible timetable until he was 96.
    I'm not overkeen on living too long, but like your friend I like to live in my own way, make my own decisions and if the rest of the world doesn't approve, well, isn't that just
    too bad?

x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,452 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good luck wishes to SS both with the builders and the job . I hope the latter can fit with your travel problems .
    You're in my candle Monna , like yourself I trust in the universe to come up with the right solution . Good luck .
    NM You made me laugh with the heavy metal . You never imagine what goes on behind closed doors ! Hope you and ds are ok .
    Mar Take care of yourself love you're in my candle too .
    Take care all
    polly
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,707 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Heavy metal n Welsh. Lol!!!!
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,281Posts Today

7,127Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin