Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 363
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 19,283 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Good luck with the house hunting monna I know what you mean there comes a point when you can't face the packing any more. I expect you also think oh I will have to get used to a new kitchen again. I am still looking for stuff in this kitchen after 9 months. I shouldn't be as so much is on the work surfaces because of having only a couple of cupboards.

I hope you can find the perfect solution. Will put this in my prayers.

Mar I tend to agree with greenbee. You ought to have a full MOT.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 21,126 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Back home after a weekend away - we are walking the Wales Coastal Path and clocked up another 12 miles on Saturday. So far we've done 47/870 miles we doubt we'll ever finish, but it's fun to try.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    We're like that with the Thames Path - think we're up to about 60 miles down, but hardly any bits we've done are joined together!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 28,467 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Thames Path, we often find lost walkers wandering around where we live as the Thames Path stops for a mile or two round here.
    I used to walk from Chelsea to Putney along the tow path regularly in my teens between work and my bedsit.

Mila I've pm'd you the link to my blog as We aren't allowed to advertise them on the forum.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 21,126 Thanks
    Floss
    Hester I think we may have done that bit We've done both sides of Reading, Oxford and Henley, the start in the middle of a field, and Westminster to Deptford!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 21,126 Thanks
    Floss
    Greenbee I'm with your rellie, my cod have sticking plasters on
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 3,545 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    i can't remember who asked where to get the cheapest flu jab , i think its asda - £5
    (i'll post this on the other thread i follow as well just in case)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,509 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Greenbee I use the self adhesive velcro dots , the non - hook part .
    polly
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks for the ideas!

BTW - while I was visiting my parents, my dad told me about his latest scan. He went for his MRI and they gave him headphones (I usually take a CD) and it was tuned to the local radio station. As he went into the scanner an advert for Coop funeral services came on

They wanted to know why he was giggling... he has suggested that they choose a non-commercial station...
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 27,422 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Greenbee, that story reminds me of my dad when he was in the coronary care unit. Hospital radio came round asking for requests, he asked for something by Chris Rea.... they played road to hell!

Mardatha, we'll send you to the glue factory, we joke in this house that's where they stick you back together. I don't know why people don't get mot'd, maybe too many of us would be scrapped.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 208,219 Thanks
    greenbee
    Softstuff - I'm just hoping he paid attention and has sorted it all out
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 27,422 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Softstuff - I'm just hoping he paid attention and has sorted it all out
    Originally posted by greenbee

We just had porridge a la Mardatha this morning, salt, water, bit of cream (coconut cream). I'm not normally a porridge or breakfast eater, but it was good. Unfortunately I now feel the need for an after brekkie nap I don't blame the porridge, it could well have been the hour I spent moving rocks beforehand
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 27,422 Thanks
    Softstuff
    What a day. I started by moving rocks, then got a call from the fencing people that they wanted to install the side fence and gate. So I moved 8 bins of mulch so they could concrete it in. Then I began to move our belongings out of the main living area ready for the tiling. The fence was finished and I sat for a break... and the tiles arrived. So I was on the back of a flatbed unloading more than 140m2. Then the phone guy arrived to fix the phone.... and at that point I got a phone call for a telephone interview

Anyhoo, picked up another beef heart this evening, which we had for dinner. After preparing it by chopping off the skin and veiny bits, so that it was in steaks, I rubbed on oil and seasoning, then flash fried it for 4 minutes each side. Very much like steak in flavour, a little different in texture, but overall verh good.

It'd stir fry well too, or stew. Going to be having it regularly now.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 13,292 Posts
    • 122,673 Thanks
    mardatha
    I used to buy heart for my owls, because it's tough it gives them good exercise ripping it up lol
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 27,516 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna - If you need a hand house hunting

Softstuff - my mother used to make stuffed heart, not something I enjoyed and have never had it since leaving home many years ago, they way you cook it sound much more appealing
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Oct 16, 3:05 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 42,088 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello all. When my DD was waiting to go down to the operating theatre, the music played to relax the patients was "if tomorrow never comes" by one of the boy bands who's name I can't think of right now.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! Jan £0

• lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 11th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    Lillibet, it stands for my Lord & Master and is meant tongue in cheek!
    Oh Mar I hope you feel better soon.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester

Doh! Ta muchly
    [DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    DMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862
    April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000
    April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 28,194 Thanks
    monnagran
    Monna - If you need a hand house hunting

Softstuff - my mother used to make stuffed heart, not something I enjoyed and have never had it since leaving home many years ago, they way you cook it sound much more appealing
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Thanks Islandmaid, all help gratefully received. Perhaps you could begin by picking out the right lottery numbers. (It's OK nursemaggie, I'm joking, though sorely tempted.)
    When I originally bought this house I deliberately chose one in in an expensive area because I hoped it would maintain its value, and because I knew that eventually it would have to provide me with the wherewithal to buy a bungalow for my retirement plus something extra to augment my pitiful pension.
    However, by letting my family live in the house they have settled in and don't want to move far from friends, school and the little business DS has set up. Hence, as I want to be close by them, I have to buy a bungalow in the same expensive area.
    Ah well, the best laid plans of mice and men, and all that.

Having said that, my friend and I went along to the Roman Villa today, on our way to the cash and carry, and had our lunch sitting out in the sunshine overlooking the sea and various large ships anchored thereon and wondering why anyone would ever contemplate living anywhere else.

Then we remembered the cost of the ferries!

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 27,516 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna - friends of ours have just built an annexe, it is lovely - would that be an option? Be a lot cheaper than selling up and buying 2 properties x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 11th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Monna - friends of ours have just built an annexe, it is lovely - would that be an option? Be a lot cheaper than selling up and buying 2 properties x
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    I was wondering the same thing. They are called MIL quarters here and have a small kitchen/living area, bedroom and bath. You can get as elaborate (or not) as you want.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 41,637 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    mila We call them granny annexes

Actually I was wondering about that too, or whether there might be a house with such an annexe on the market.

Softstuff What a manic day! You must be knackered!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter