Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 362
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 19,283 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Get well soon mar have the rest of my jelly babies. Sorry there is only 1 black one left.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 27,503 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Mar - thinking of you Hun x

Hester - The pic gave me a giggle 😉

After DH swearing he wouldn't need dinner after his 'Jolly Boys Outing' he has just called asking what is for dinner

It won't be gourmet.... egg and Chips anyone?
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 9th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 6,911 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    So sorry to hear about the hospital trip Mardatha. Hope you get some help & treatment soon.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 41,617 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Get well soon mar have the rest of my jelly babies. Sorry there is only 1 black one left.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    That did make me laugh
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 33,497 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Hope you feel better mar.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 9th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 27,409 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Posted a long reply and lost it, our internet and phone are having issues.

Anyhoo, keeping it brief, hugs Mardatha, hope you get some relief soon
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 28,186 Thanks
    monnagran
    That sounds ghastly Mar, you must have been in agony.I do hope that whatever they gave you at the abattoir will take the pain away. Lots of hugs.

Ivyleaf: your property problems seem to be sorting themselves out. It's such a worry when these things happen. Our happy lives can be thrown into chaos so easily, can't they? It doesn't take much to upset our equilibrium. I hope everything works out well for you.

I've had a long talk with DIL and DS tonight about what we are going to do about our housing situation. I have been back here a year now and although we love each other to bits and all get along extraordinarily well it was never intended to be a permanent arrangement. I have no intention of spending the rest of my life in one room but we have all agreed that we want to live close to each other, so after Christmas we will be putting this house on the market and I will be looking for my bungalow. It's all exciting but I do quail a bit at the prospect of yet another great upheaval.
    C'est la vie.
    x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Monna that sounds a perfect arrangement - you'll still be close enough to attempt the odd overnight challenge from dgd but will have your things around you and usable . Try to view it as the next step in your life , we'll all be rooting for you .
    polly
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 28,452 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Good luck house hunting Monna
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Oct 16, 6:45 AM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 33,497 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Just think of it as being exciting monna! Great that you can have a proper discussion about it and come to solution that suits you both. Good luck!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 21,122 Thanks
    Floss
    Ooh I love online house-hunting! Good luck!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,717 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Mardatha, what is the prognosis for your gallbladder? I finally had mine removed and life, since, has been so much better. I really hate that you have this on top of everything else!

Hester, I need your blog link. Got me curious!

Ivy, hoping it all works out with housing.

Monna, Wow! Change is in the air!! It's good that you have taken this initial step. I'll bet you are glad to have that out of the way and can now take steps toward a new domicile.

Pondering paint colors here. Tile was ripped out last week and once it was out of the laundry, I realized how bad the walls look. That led to ~~well we need to paint the cabinets too, oh and the countertop needs to be replaced (truly) and let's build that pantry we have talked about for years. That's just the laundry room...two more rooms to go.

p.s. Thank you for the kind encouragement when I was feeling so heartbroken again about my sister. Your words have helped.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 10-10-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 10th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 21,031 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Just a quick one today.

Mar-- I hope they're able to calm it down quickly and get you feeling closer to yourself soon.

Monna--how exciting!!

Mila, I seem to remember a children's book series--if you give a mouse a cookie, he is going to want a glass of milk. I think it then goes through all sorts of things he thinks of next.

Leftover sausages, roasted butternut squash and spuds for lunch today. OH is doing soup and bread for tea with a pud. I've got yoga, teaching and lots of work to do. Morning chores are done, wash is in and just eating my porridge now. We've been lucky with the weather--no rain so I'm still getting the wash dry outside and haven't had to resort to putting the heating on yet. Hot water bottles in bed at night are keeping the chill off. I daren't hope we'll hold out until November, but a bit longer would be nice!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • 4,354 Posts
    • 61,699 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Lillibet, it stands for my Lord & Master and is meant tongue in cheek!
    Oh Mar I hope you feel better soon.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    There's me trying to think of something filthy....

Aside froman unfortunate incident with one tenant and a dart board on the party wall (quickly removed when she told them), it has turned out for the best. The flats ard now occupied with older tenants, they socialize, share meals and generally look out for one another. In addition, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, modern conversions have to take noise into account with construction. So additional sound insulation would be used.

If any surveys or work is to bd done to accommodate the development, that's for them to pay surely.
    Originally posted by Softstuff
    Ah, building law is my thing... Regrettably the law is suitably fuzzy and it boils down to 'reasonable'. Reasonable amounts of noise or dust, reasonable times... I should think you will get some drilling and hammering in the day time but you are unlikely to get anything too much outside of normal work hours, you have to pay builders too much to work unsocial hours. There is likely to be dust, but all wipe offable (is that a word?). I would get in touch with your housing association / council and ask about having the plans explained. They should make provision for those who have trouble reading them.

Party walls aren't something I know about (I am construction rather than real estate), but there is a Party Wall Act 1996 which might be worth looking up.

Back home after a weekend away - we are walking the Wales Coastal Path and clocked up another 12 miles on Saturday. So far we've done 47/870 miles we doubt we'll ever finish, but it's fun to try.
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 10th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 8,822 Thanks
    shanks77
    Mar hope you are feeling better today
    Monna good luck with the house hunting
    Meal was lovely last night and got a nice present from him as well so a good night had
    Physio today then out to mums to collect dog but apart from that a quiet day.
    Catch up with everyone soon xx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 41,617 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thank you VJsmum and everyone who has been so kind and reassuring. I suspect a lot of the work will actually be done in evenings and weekends as much of it will be done by the owner's partner and he will have other jobs during the day, but we'll see.

monnagran I can understand your worrying about another upheaval and am sending you huge (((HUGS))), but won't it be gorgeous to have space of your own again and all your things around you May you find just the right bungalow.
    • elona
    • By elona 10th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 10,581 Posts
    • 53,396 Thanks
    elona
    Monna

How exciting I hope you find somewhere that is perfect for you and "feels right". There is nothing like having your own little nest.

Family came over yesterday for lunch and son in law and dd helped me turn over the superking mattress which was such a help. We also had a look online for breakfast bar stools for their new house and found some they really like with free delivery and a good set of customer reviews.

I have a load of laundry to hang outside but did manage to sort out the airing cupboard, towels and bedding yesterday. There are leftovers from yesterday's lunch and I might make some more soup as well.

Mardatha

Positive vibes that you get help with the gallbladder issues and that your overall health improves.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 27,409 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Ooh I love online house-hunting! Good luck!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Me too! Can we all join in Monnagran?

I laybyed hubbys Christmas pressie today. Will be a big surprise for him, a bit expensive, but I'll get there by being a bit more frugal.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 11,536 Posts
    • 208,202 Thanks
    greenbee
    Good luck with the house hunt Monna... I hope you can find two properties close to each other. Maybe you need a family compound?

Hope you start to get better soon Mar. Have you asked them to do a full MOT and service while you're in next, rather than finding things one at a time?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 13,289 Posts
    • 122,652 Thanks
    mardatha
    Thanks everybody for kind vibes xx Sorry to just come in to post whines.
    Greenbee I'd be scared they'd scrap me.
    Quiet day today knitting a purple shawl. Was white up here this morning and 1C.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,000Posts Today

6,913Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @councilofdeans: Really useful info for prospective students on ?Student Loans Mythbusting? from @MartinSLewis: https://t.co/8C57Kzpg3Z?

• Got questions on switching banks repeatedly to make £100s from bonuses or Vodafone missbilling, ask @itvmlshow & we may be able to include

• This is why I'm delighted many Lords are going to oppose the retrospective hike in student loans...https://t.co/lEJk8esa0v

• Follow Martin