Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 344
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 22nd Sep 16, 8:43 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 6,277 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Mar Fruit and veg ( not a cruel joke ) low salt and a number of other guidelines . Thank goodness GQ has a heart or this post would be green !!!
    Hester I hope some good luck comes to you and your DB soon .
    Will try to post a bit more tomorrow . Need an early night . Long day tomorrow .
    polly
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 22nd Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Although I didn't know about changing colours previously, I do know about pictures.

You have to host the picture somewhere on the Internet first, I've previously used imageshack. From that you get a url that links you to a forum sized piccy, you copy that. Then on the reply screen you click on the button that looks like a holiday picture in egypt. It'll ask you for the url, paste it here and press return. Job done.

Maybe if someone could make that sound clearer than mud it might be more useful!

I've spent a while trying to chip silicone off exterior brickwork.
    Originally posted by Softstuff
    THANK YOU!! A host site was what I was missing.

Hester, your poor guy! No one will listen but he gets two weeks for work related stress... That so does not make any sense!
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 22-09-2016 at 9:12 PM.
    Sept $424.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 18,492 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Mar I would think your looking at clouds would do fine. Don't race to finish a pair of socks before the wool runs out.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 22nd Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    • 24,974 Posts
    • 99,922 Thanks
    candygirl
    candygirl someone will tell you tomorrow I am sure.

We will look forward to a photo of your staffy. So pleased you have found one. I love staffies they are even dafter than labradores and twice the fun.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    I used to have labs, but have had staffs for almost 14 years now, n can honestly say staffs are much easier for me
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Sep 16, 10:15 PM
    • 13,076 Posts
    • 120,488 Thanks
    mardatha
    Thanks TiredTrophy. Suppose would have been too much too expect something NICE eh lol
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 22nd Sep 16, 10:36 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 27,012 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hard luck Mar. I don't think jelly babies, even green ones, will do the job.
    If you find something that actually works please share. I'm on BP tablets plus aspirin and although it has worked a bit it is still too high.

This from the laziest, most laid back person imaginable.

I've tried beetroot juice. Yuk!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 22nd Sep 16, 10:44 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 26,305 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Well, I got 2 large beds weeded, turned over & raked, one has been planted with 52 leeks, the other will be planted with 128 winter onions & 18 cloves of garlic Once I had picked 1.5kg of raspberries and a dozen tomatoes I was ready to go home! Am about to soak in a lovely hot bath and prettify myself as DH is taking me out for shopping & food at the Trafford Centre
    Originally posted by Floss
    That's a heck of a lot of produce Floss. Planning a market stall on the side? I seem to have accidentally ended up with a banana plantation, I keep being given banana plants. We love bananas. ... now at least, I'll let you know how we feel about them if all the plants bear fruit at similar times

Hester, glad he's been signed off a couple of weeks. It'll be a bit of a breather. It'sa bloody ridiculous situation for him.

Mardatha, a bit of gentle exercise would help too. I know you're not feeling up to much, but even an extra 10 minute of gentle walking a day would help if you can manage it.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 23rd Sep 16, 1:20 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    The DASH diet may be of help with blood pressure. It's a diet low in sodium and rich in foods with potassium calcium and magnesium.
    Dairy
    Flaxseed
    Chocolate
    Olive Oil
    Beets
    Pistachios
    Pomegranate
    Whole Grains

I'm sure there are others...
    Fatty Fish
    Sept $424.41/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 23rd Sep 16, 3:28 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 27,012 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mila: I thought for one glorious second that "Fatty Fish" was someone's username.

Soft stuff: with all the bananas you are going to be eating your potassium levels should be sky high and your blood pressure at rock bottom.

Hester: the sort of working practices your poor L&M is suffering sound positively Victorian. Surely it can't be legal these days. Perhaps the fact that he is not there for two weeks and the work he is expected to do is not being done will alert someone to the fact that the situation is wrong.
    As for being disrespectful to bring it to someone's attention, how are they respecting HIM?

Come on lottery!

x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 23rd Sep 16, 5:25 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 18,492 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    monna your opinion of what people will call themselves has sunk to a new low. It was just something lost in translation. Oily fish. Milla has managed so far to fool us into thinking she is English. Maybe it is the hour.

sofstuff I can see you next year sitting outside your front gate with a stall selling bananas. I will be nipping across to Blackpool for some leeks.

Hester maybe your L&M's Dr will give him another two weeks off after this two weeks and then they will be really desperate for him to come back. They will find it is not two bosses they need but two workers and one less boss. Give him a big hug from me. Tell him I am a little blond. I used to be but now it is white.

mar I don't think the low salt is a good idea.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 23rd Sep 16, 5:49 AM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 26,305 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Nursemaggie, what are you doing awake at this unearthly hour?

sofstuff I can see you next year sitting outside your front gate with a stall selling bananas.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    Y'know, it's quite a common sight around here to see a little stall or table with some home grown something and an honesty box. I'll not be hard pushed to find homes for surplus though, a friend has a full time job and 2 kids, with no time for gardening, our neighbours over the road are elderly and don't garden and our next door neighbours will be more of a trade.... they also have banana plants, but bananas don't fruit at the same time.

I'm so far self sufficient in all herbs (even including curry leaf and bay leaf), lettuce and celery. In 12 months time, I should be self sufficient in bananas, lemons, mandarins, passionfruit, mulberry, peaches, pomegranate, taro, choko and the more standard zucchini, aubergine, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots and beans. Long term I'm aiming for olives, tea and coffee, feijoa and lots more! After all, I've got Floss as an example to aim for it's less hassle to grow things here, sun is a given, you fight bugs and wildlife, but for many things we're extremely fortunate.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 23rd Sep 16, 6:41 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 26,328 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Funnily enough, the last task added to my L&M's list, the one that was the last straw for him. He said it wasn't feasible on top of everything else and even made suggestion for other ways of managing it.

When I left work at 8:45 to give him a lift to the Dr's someone else in another team was doing the job. By 10am, one of L&M's alternatives was in place as, suddenly, it was realised just how stupid it was!

He is tucked up in bed with a cuppa, he can have a lazy day (fortnight) pottering in the garden, playing with the DGC and doing things that make him happy. Hopefully I will be one of the thing he will be doing!
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 23rd Sep 16, 6:50 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Feijoa is yummy.....particularly as in a cocktail made with Feijoa vodka, fizzy wine, ginger beer and a slice of fresh ginger......

I like beetroot....but not pickled. I very much dislike it as juice....but as mixed roasted veg and lots of garlic very nice or grated raw with grated carrot and a can of sardines on top plus salad dressing, one hits most of the targets for DASH....just need a green salad.....or a sprinkle of mustard and cress? I know you dont like the stuff that starts with k....

Otherwise that soup with the name i cannot spell borscht? Soup is great for folks who dislike salads.

I am still at the kelp you recommended.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 23rd Sep 16, 7:02 AM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 26,305 Thanks
    Softstuff

He is tucked up in bed with a cuppa, he can have a lazy day (fortnight) pottering in the garden, playing with the DGC and doing things that make him happy. Hopefully I will be one of the thing he will be doing!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    I hope you haven't sold all the toys!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 23rd Sep 16, 7:09 AM
    • 2,892 Posts
    • 18,396 Thanks
    Floss
    Thanks for all the admiration my back has eased a bit now!

Rasps are autumn ones, and the sun & occasional rain is ideal for them, but we are getting a bit fed up now! We've been eating the tomatoes as they ripen, and will freeze any excess.

Onions & garlic will be lifted & stored next summer, and we try to be self-sufficient in them as long as possible. Leeks get used as they are ready, and also get sliced & frozen.

Am off for my first day in my new job later - will probably be exhausted when I get home!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 23rd Sep 16, 7:33 AM
    • 10,294 Posts
    • 29,239 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Softstuff,

Envious at the thought of the exotic things you can grow - some of which we can't even get here (as you'll know).

Wonders if you have such prolific pests destroying garden food as we do?

I shall be feeling quite envious if you don't have cabbage white butterflies, fleabeatles and earwigs over there - considering just how much of a nuisance they are here (oh my poor brassicas...). Though I guess slugs are spread right across the planet pretty much....
    For every person that tells you you are overthinking - there will be at least one commending you on being "two steps ahead"/planning well/etc.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 23rd Sep 16, 9:24 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 27,012 Thanks
    monnagran
    I hope you haven't sold all the toys!
    Originally posted by Softstuff
    Hester: I thought you said he was supposed to be recovering from stress.

Floss: this is a bit late but good luck with the new job. Hope you are not too tired tonight.

x
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 23rd Sep 16, 9:57 AM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 26,527 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hester: Just popping in to add my bit on your Hubbies carp employers - it is about time you put pen to paper and wrote the 'MS Guide to Hestering' - it would be an international best seller and you and the L&M could retire and keep you errrm 'happy' for the rest of your days

I hope he gets a few weeks off to 'chill' and employers to realise what a gem they have in him x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

September GC £250/£0.00
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 23rd Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 26,305 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Softstuff,

Envious at the thought of the exotic things you can grow - some of which we can't even get here (as you'll know).

Wonders if you have such prolific pests destroying garden food as we do?

I shall be feeling quite envious if you don't have cabbage white butterflies, fleabeatles and earwigs over there - considering just how much of a nuisance they are here (oh my poor brassicas...). Though I guess slugs are spread right across the planet pretty much....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    We have so many bugs it makes England look like a bug free zone. And snakes, possums, kookaburras, parrots of various kinds. But I do battle (and simply don't grow some things). We also have various moulds and mildews, caused by excessive heat and humidity. And scale and mites.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 23rd Sep 16, 12:40 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 20,564 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Afternoon all,

Floss Good luck today--both with the new job and the exhaustion from yesterday!

Just checking in while I eat lunch. I woke up with a sore and stiff neck this morning, probably the angle I was working yesterday and possibly being cold last night. I had to get up and switch to winter PJs. Might be stress too. It has relaxed some fortunately.

Yoga tonight--hopefully that will help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,872Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin