Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ruby_Roo
    • By Ruby_Roo 1st Mar 15, 4:26 PM
    • 311Posts
    • 248Thanks
    Ruby_Roo
    Credit Cards for Isle of Man resident
    • 1st Mar 15, 4:26 PM
    Credit Cards for Isle of Man resident 1st Mar 15 at 4:26 PM
    I've never had an issue getting credit cards - I earn a good salary, we have our own home and sufficient disposable income - but I'm having difficulty finding a card to shift a balance to because of where I live.

It seems in the last 6 months or so, credit card providers have stopped classing the Isle of Man as part of the UK, and so won't accept credit card applications from Isle of Man residents.

Does anyone know why this is? And can anyone suggest a card I can try with a decent 0% balance transfer offer?
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 1st Mar 15, 7:01 PM
    • 23,190 Posts
    • 10,539 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 1st Mar 15, 7:01 PM
    • 1st Mar 15, 7:01 PM
    Isle of Man banks?

Either that or a lot of homework before applying for a UK card.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 1st Mar 15, 7:06 PM
    • 50,949 Posts
    • 21,495 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 1st Mar 15, 7:06 PM
    • 1st Mar 15, 7:06 PM
    For some suggestions see this thread: Credit cards
    I don't know how up-to-date the information is as the thread is more than 6 months old.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • ricky_v
    • By ricky_v 2nd Mar 15, 9:08 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    ricky_v
    • 2nd Mar 15, 9:08 PM
    • 2nd Mar 15, 9:08 PM

It seems in the last 6 months or so, credit card providers have stopped classing the Isle of Man as part of the UK, and so won't accept credit card applications from Isle of Man residents.

Does anyone know why this is?
    Originally posted by Ruby_Roo
    IOM isn't officially part of the UK. The fact the island is a self governing crown dependency will be your answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependencies
    • Fruit and Nut Case
    • By Fruit and Nut Case 2nd Mar 15, 11:10 PM
    • 3,987 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Fruit and Nut Case
    • 2nd Mar 15, 11:10 PM
    • 2nd Mar 15, 11:10 PM
    Barclays seems to offer one.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 3rd Mar 15, 7:09 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    • 3rd Mar 15, 7:09 AM
    • 3rd Mar 15, 7:09 AM
    Channel Island residents effectively have the same issue. MBNA issue to CI residents and so do Halifax Clarity, but you may have to ring them as it appears that you can no longer apply online. Lloyds you will probably have to apply locally and offers are nowhere as good as those offered nationally from what the website states.

You could also try Barclays. Virgin cards were offered by MBNA so could also try them. Best plan is to ring them up and ask rather than apply online in case you get through to final stages and then get declined.

Very frustrating!
  • 12user
    • 3rd Mar 15, 9:51 AM
    • 3rd Mar 15, 9:51 AM
    This question is very much informative and useful.I am one of resident in Isle.I also want to know how to make a credit card. If anyone suggest more information or post useful links in this site which will helpful for us.
    • Fruit and Nut Case
    • By Fruit and Nut Case 3rd Mar 15, 10:16 AM
    • 3,987 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Fruit and Nut Case
    • 3rd Mar 15, 10:16 AM
    • 3rd Mar 15, 10:16 AM
    This question is very much informative and useful.I am one of resident in Isle.I also want to know how to make a credit card. If anyone suggest more information or post useful links in this site which will helpful for us.
    Originally posted by 12user
    Welcome to the Forum. You have a quaint use of English. Is that standard dialect on the IoM? I look forward to reading more posts from you.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
  • Unicornface
    • 3rd Mar 15, 1:43 PM
    • 3rd Mar 15, 1:43 PM
    I am also having trouble finding a credit card i would be accepted for on the Isle of Man as a first time credit card. I recently lived in the UK and there are plenty i would have been able to get, but here it is a different story. Any advice greatly apprecited.
    • Helen Fargher
    • By Helen Fargher 13th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helen Fargher
    As from August this year, M&S, Lloyds and Tesco are not accepting new applications for credit cards from Isle of Man residents. You cannot get a credit card from Virgin or First Direct either but at least Virgin has been up front about this for a while now. Noone I have asked on theirr helplines seems to know why this is, or if they do they are not telling. It may be fall out from Brexit, but as we were not in the EU anyway why would it make a difference? A policy decision has been taken somewhere and this is the result. It's pretty rich of M&S and Tesco since they have 2 of their most profitable stores in the UK sitting right here in Douglas and they are more than happy to take our money. The other thing is that a refusal goes on your credit report and they do not say why - and in this case it is nothing to do with your monetary situation.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    zx81
    The other thing is that a refusal goes on your credit report
    Originally posted by Helen Fargher
    No, it doesn't.
    • Helen Fargher
    • By Helen Fargher 13th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helen Fargher
    Well it most certainly has in this case and we are talking to the credit reference company about why this should be so and if a statement about why it has been refused can be added. This would require a letter from M&S and they are not wanting to do this. Tesco have provided a letter. They are also baffled as to why this person has been refused a credit card as there is no reason for such a decision to be made based on financial history. Or indeed anything else.

If you ask for an insurance quote it goes on your credit reference too. Or are you going to say no it doesn't for that as well?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    zx81
    The search for a card application is shown. The decision, whether acceptance or decline, is not.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    GingerBob
    The search for a card application is shown. The decision, whether acceptance or decline, is not.
    Originally posted by zx81

Yes, another abuse of the credit reporting system. If the provider disqualifies an application for non-credit related matters why should they hit the applicant with a hard search? In the case being discussed here, the fact that the applicant's place of residence excluded him from having a card should have been the end of the matter; no search, straight rejection (with explanation). No doubt it will be claimed that the process is automatic and an online application immediately results in a search - a feeble excuse, if ever there was one; the process needs fixing if this is the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter