Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    • 12,958Posts
    • 46,516Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Happy Savings Fund
    • 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    The Happy Savings Fund 18th Feb 15 at 6:31 PM
    I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-12-2016 at 8:16 PM. Reason: to re-focus my savings
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
Page 75
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Nov 17, 7:30 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good news on the rent SW ! Enjoy putting up your xmas decs, I don't do mine until first weekend in December but some people round here have there outside ones up already
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello my lovely I am so tired after going out I haven't done anything. I will try later in the week.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Nov 17, 6:47 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Relax and enjoy your weekend SW. I don't do much in the way of housework during the week as I am too tired so I try to get caught up at the weekend. We all do what we can when we can
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Nov 17, 9:31 AM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Today I have to do marking, hovering, mopping and ironing. Yikes. Slow and steady methinks.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Nov 17, 8:56 AM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    jobs to do :
    ironing
    visit supermarket
    do a bit of work - not done as I spent my nieces friend with preparing for a job interview. lol.

Am drinking a glass of mulled wine and chilling.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 21-11-2017 at 6:54 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    chillin' with mulled wine how lovely
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 24th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    atrixa
    Ooh, I haven't had any mulled wine yet. Wonder if one of the discounters would stock it.
    I work in Pensions and I'm currently saving for my first house deposit
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Nov 17, 9:44 AM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Mine was bought at a reduced price from Tosco. I had a lovely party at my house yesterday mum and dad are here. The boys came and my nieces. It was so nice to see everyone.

I have spent money on fleabay purchases two jumpers as I need them for the cold and some stupid egg cups which are so expensive but they are my weakness. No more. I had to go out for work and that cost me about twenty pounds.

Next week I am not spending anything at all.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Nov 17, 8:33 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Party sounds great SW. Am fascinated by your egg cups do you have a collection ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Not really. I am always buying the same things, egg cups, canvas pictures and glasses cases. I don't know why? It is a waste of money but these Martin Gulliver stripey ones look great.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Three days left till payday. I can't wait. I have a huge credit card bill but after this I will cut back. I am only buying some Christmas presents and will try to keep my costs down this year. I don't need any extra nonsense at all.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 27th Nov 17, 8:38 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I haven't really done any Christmas shopping yet. Just a big box of shortbread when I was in the range the other day for DS as its his favourite.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 28-11-2017 at 4:30 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Ive done nothing. I am going to use the rent money to buy some things. I dont even know how much I should spend. Do I cut back or spend the same as usual? I'm thinking aloud.

There is no job security at work. I am hesitant to use the rent money. We shall see.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 3rd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I think you need a make a list of people you want to buy a gift for, and then write down some ideas for them, and then see how much each thing will cost (using Amazon or other online shop as a guide).

Then have a serious think about whether you really want to spend money on everyone on the list. There's bound to be someone who you think you'd rather not buy things for this year. You can always give them a gift with a note in saying you'd like to take them out for a cup of coffee in the new year, then some of the cost can be pushed back.

With those left on the list, see if you can find a cheaper version of your idea, or find an online shop where it's stocked and see if you can get an online discount code for it (or check Quidco to see if you can get cashback).

It's easier to spend too much if you don't plan I think sitting down with a cuppa and a notebook and having a think will be the best way to start.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Thank you so much Vintage Historian. It's weird isn't it but other than my parents I'm quite happy to buy people stuff for a tenner each and I would save so much but it's just not done you know?

I don't need anything either. Christmas is about being with the family not buying nonsense. Most of my friends are like me and we don't gift but the one's that do take it sooo seriously.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 3rd Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    If people are willing to stop being friends with you because you can't afford to spend more than £10 on a Christmas present then I don't think they were friends in the first place.

Could you have a look on Pinterest for gift ideas that look expensive but are actually quite cheap? You can do things like a little winter evening hamper with a mug (£2 from TK Maxx) some hot chocolate sachets (I think you can get 4 for £1.50 from Tesco?) and a box of shortbread, should come in under £10 but if you manage to get a nice box of biccies and a posh looking mug then they won't necessarily know how much it all cost!

That said it's always easier said than done, especially if you don't necessarily have easy access to a wide range of shops Could you try starting a thread asking for cheap-but-posh-looking gift ideas in the Christmas part of the forum?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Dec 17, 11:27 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I agree with VintageHistorian true friends and close family won't care if you don't buy presents. I would rather someone offered to clean my oven, or took me out for a cheap lunch or afternoon tea voucher can get those for £10 locally or on groupon. Maybe you could give out IOU's instead maybe a free nights babysitting or dog sitting whatever you can manage. Or just come clean and say you can't afford it, you never know they might all be relieved and in the same boat x
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I might have to. I'm still thinking about it??????? We have 3 weeks till xmas hols. This weekend I am going to Winter Wonderland. I will try not to spend too much. I'm taking sarnies as much as possible.

The sun is shining but it is freezing cold. Please let work pass quickly this week. Susan is coming tonight. I will be so busy with marking and setting work this week.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 4th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 46,516 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I came home and ordered a huge Chinese with my birthday money for myself and lodger (we take it in turns). The food was rubbish but it saved me cooking. lol.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Dec 17, 12:01 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 18,380 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    You didn't mention it was your birthday

I hate it when you treat yourself to food and it's not up to scratch, such a waste of money but totally understand when you cba to cook. Hope your blood test goes well, does Chinese affect your sugars much ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,418Posts Today

7,783Users online

Martin's Twitter