Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    • 12,944Posts
    • 46,501Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Happy Savings Fund
    • 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    The Happy Savings Fund 18th Feb 15 at 6:31 PM
    I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-12-2016 at 8:16 PM. Reason: to re-focus my savings
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
Page 71
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on having a flu jab. My arm hurts a bit but it's ok. I have been chatting on and off to parents today. The boys came and gave me their phone and I am so chuffed with it. It does all this fancy stuff.

I gave my old phone (also a present from Steven) to my dad. It ended up costing £15 as it went straight to Bluetooth. So I charged up dad's phone to make sure he had credit.

I am selling my white sofa in the kitchen to make way for the small table and chairs that I bought last week.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It sounds like you have had a nice weekend with DP's and the boys visiting Good luck with selling the table and chairs.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Sofa sold for asking price. Room cleared. Hurrah and money in bank.

I have lessons to prepare tomorrow and also a house to show a prospective tenant. I haven't researched contracts or anything yet. lol. Please don't let him be a serial killer or anything dodgy either......He emailed to say he had found somewhere so I am chilling for the day. I should have offered him a viewing when he asked much earlier in the month but I had company so I couldn't. Nevermind, I have time to take some pictures of the house and put them on the advert as the house is tidy.

I'm going to chill now.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 26-09-2017 at 1:40 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on selling the sofa ! Sorry to hear about the tenant, I'm sure you will get more interest when you add the photos It might be a good idea to say if its near to shops / amenities / public transport links if you haven't already ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope so, and will add the photos at the weekend, with Susan's help. I did take some nice pics and have chilled all day. No work done but the house is tidy.

I am being positive as eventually I should increase my income. I really would rather have a female to share with so this was for the best.

Only three days till payday not that I'm obsessed or anything. lol. It is so dark outside, winter is coming.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 26-09-2017 at 7:31 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 27th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Yes its getting darker earlier now isn't it. I've started closing my curtains as well as my blinds at night to keep the chill out.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I put the heating on when my parents came as it was so cold downstairs.

I had a good day today and didn't spend any money.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I spent 20p today on hot water for my tea!

Payday tomorrow night at midnight. Yay.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I have had the most manic weekend. On Friday my niece came to stay with me for the weekend. On Saturday Susan came. In the afternoon we went to visit the boys in Lymington.

Someone emailed asking to see my spareroom (which Susan was sleeping in on Saturday morning). We got in for 10.30pm last night, didn't sleep till midnight as we chatted to my niece and her friends who visited. I spent this morning sorting out the room as my niece left and then he emailed to say he had a room now so he wasn't coming.

I am utterly shattered. From now on I am keeping the spare room unslept in so they can just pop by without me having to exhaust myself. I was so tired I slept all day. No work done for tomorrow. I am resting to get my strength back. I can still pay the mortgage without the rent money but I don't have any spare cash and I can't buy anything apart from food. I am poor now. I wish I could busk or something. I'm too old to be a stripper and they get £90 an hour my friend told me.

Two more people have contacted me. We shall see. One is coming on Tuesday and one on Friday.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 01-10-2017 at 5:44 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It sounds like you have had a busy weekend SW take care of yourself. I hope the new people like the house. Are they females ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 1st Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    One is a female (but she doesn't say much, it's really weird I don't know anything about her??????) and the others are professional males.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good luck. Hope it all works out.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Susan treated us all to a meal at Zizzis, it was so nice to go out after work. I forget it's what normal people do. The boys bought me a contract for the lodger when they move in and did some extra photocopies, saving me lots of money.

Someone is coming at 6.00ish today to view the room. I hope it goes ok as I am poor. Susan will be at the boys house so I will tidy like crazy and hope for the best. Someone might be coming in the afternoon but they haven't really told me much so I dont think they are genuine.

I have a hospital appointment today too. It was so windy yesterday my washing line broke whilst I was at work, luckily Susan rescued the clothes. I need to get a new one while the weather is good and make the most of it. Money spent yesterday was 40p on hot water for tea, I take my own tea bags now to save money.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-10-2017 at 6:42 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    How lovely of your friend SW. I really like zizzis and they do lots of deals and vouchers

I hope the room viewing and hospital appointment went well. Good on the boys bring you a contract for the lodger !

Have you thought about taking a flask of hot water for your tea or is it more of a social thing in a caf! style canteen ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello I think I do it for socials really. I think I can get away with spending about a pound a week on teas at work or maybe two pounds max.

Work has been manic this week. Luckily Steve, Andy and Susan had the week off and we met up three times to eat out. Paid for by Susan's vouchers. I felt like I was on a cruise!!!!

Susan left yesterday and my niece comes tomorrow. I should be meeting my lodger to be to sign contracts on Monday night. So far he seems nice i will be so grateful for the money.

It might end up being like Rising Damp- one of my all time favourite programmes. I am Mrs Jones. Wonder if i can get away with calling him Rigsby on this thread?????

Note to everyone do not cancel your British Gas Home cover ever, ever EVER as when you do you are guaranteed to get a problem. Guess who's boiler is now playing up? I will try to get it fixed before lodger moves in.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 43,587 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Well done on getting a lodger, hope he turns out to be fab and maybe even a Corgi registered gas man!! so he can fix your boiler
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I was just so relieved he wasn't a serial killer I forgot to ask specific questions about his job. He works in the NHS I think.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 07-10-2017 at 2:26 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Oct 17, 7:06 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am glad you have found a nice lodger. Sorry to hear about the boiler, they go at the most inconvenient times don't they. I hope you can get it sorted and it doesn't cost too much.
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Oct 17, 10:09 AM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well it is coming on but not straight away. I think i am slowly figuring the timer out. It is an old boiler now and the only thing i didn't change when i moved in.

I had a weird dream linked i think to a phonecall i had with my property developer friend. I dreamt i was in a big meeting at work and i got so fed up with the people in my team i tipped Susan's glass of water all over them. (it's only a pint glass but there was enough to soak all the unpleasant people) then i walked out of work and was going to a job agency (which was in a street in Northampton) and stopped off to buy some peas to be healthy (from a shop in Birmingham). Then i went to another shop and bought some more peas. Then I realised I was losing my marbles as who buys two packets of fresh peas? so i had to get a refund.

Luckily Steve rang and I woke up. OMG i wonder what it means????? Steve says i will have wind as I'm going to be cooking lots of peas. lol. I think it's a tip not to quit but to keep looking for opportunities.

I washed nieces bedclothes yesterday and had to machine dry them as my niece was only here for 24 hours. I'm washing my bedclothes and tablecloth today and will try to line dry today.

I would like to cook a curry today and mop the floors. I am going to be meeting Rigsby in the evening after work on Monday and we will talk through the contract. I have to ask him for references too and find out how much he will pay as a security deposit. I also have to find out a bit more about him as i am not sure of his personal and financial circumstances. I just want a lodger who has money and no hassle. Please let it be ok.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 08-10-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 12,944 Posts
    • 46,501 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Oh dear, poor Rigsby he hasn't been able to come as he has had to travel to his home town as there has been a death in the family. Poor things. He will pop back this week.

I rung British Gas and they are sending an engineer round tomorrow afternoon to check my boiler as I twiddled some knobs and although the water is lovely the central heating wont work at all now.

I have tomorrow off work. Time to catch up, iron, mow grass etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

2,071Users online

Martin's Twitter