Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    • 12,549Posts
    • 45,992Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The Happy Savings Fund
    • 18th Feb 15, 6:31 PM
    The Happy Savings Fund 18th Feb 15 at 6:31 PM
    I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 03-12-2016 at 8:16 PM. Reason: to re-focus my savings
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) £7000/£8000 84%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £60/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
Page 61
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I went to the car boot, we got there late but had a fried breakfast for myself and the friend that took me. I bought an assortment of things eg lots of petunia plants, some pretty cake shaped pots, a few decorations, two punnets of apricots and some disposable gloves.

Total spend £25! But that is my treat for the week. I'm washing my bedsheets, then I am going to have a nap then clean the windows. I have 200 bulbs to plant tonight too. I might not have the energy to paint my garden table but will try when I wake up.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Gosh you are going to be busy planting all those bulbs SW ! Sounds like you had fun at the car boot.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jun 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I planted the petunias from the car boot and some bulbs but don't know if the bulbs will come up this year or next year.

Tomorrow I have to investigate changing my gas/electricity supplier and also start thinking about renting out a room downstairs so I don't fall into financial problems after the summer holiday. I hope it all works out.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jun 17, 6:38 AM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am sunburnt after yesterday but will go out and plant a few more bulbs before it gets really hot. It is 19 degrees now. Yikes. I don't think the bulbs will come up this year but they will do next year so it'll be fine.

I'm having a rest and then visiting my friend in the afternoon. Ive got to vacuum before I go.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 19-06-2017 at 8:08 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope you've got your suncream on today SW its scorchio out there ! What sort of bulbs did you get ?
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I don't have suncream on but I did keep my hat on as I learnt my lesson after the carboot.

I have just come back after a great afternoon away. I am so de - stressed.

This morning I planted over a 100 crocus and anemone de caen bulbs, I have freesia bulbs too but will plant those later in the year when I can decide where I want some taller flowers.

I sat in the shade in my friend's lovely garden. We also popped into a great garden centre and I have soooo many ideas of pretty flowers I can get over the summer and next year. My friend will be buying a really fancy garden set (cost £2000!!!!) tomorrow once she checks the final measurements. OMG. Holy moly!!! I only spent £5 on taxi fare there and they gave me a lift back.

I have asked my parents to pick up a new garden parasol for me on G*mtree near where they live. It is only £20 instead of a lot more. But I should not buy anything else now. They will be bringing the last of the bedroom furniture on Monday when they visit (also purchased from G*mtree).
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Your garden will look lovely SW. Lucky you parents coming to stay and bringing bargains with them
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I had a leaflet in the post today it says they are looking for host families in my area???? Foreign tourists will pay to stay here. I will investigate when I can.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The only host family adverts I have seen in my area are for foreign students rather than tourists ? Might be worth looking into if you prefer short term tenants
    Aims for 2017 -
    2. no takeaways !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Yes that's what I've seen. I thought it might be ok to try it first as I might make some money over the holiday but it means I can't stay over anywhere as I have to feed them. If I earn anything it will go straight into my happiness/retirement fund!

A short term tenancy sounds great but I don't know if anyone will move in. I am going to prepare an advert on gumtree too.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; Yesterday at 8:12 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 45,992 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    The foreign student lady is going to ring me tomorrow after one and she will make an appointment to see the house. I am hoping they can come the week after next as my parents are going to be here next week.

I hope I can host a student it will be nice to make some money over the hols. I have applied for a student union card (we can get them through work) and it means I get some discount in the shops. I am not planning on going to the cinema (on my rubbish budget) but it might help with other purchases.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; Today at 5:03 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

8,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin