Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Eurochance 100! Is it a con? (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Eurochance 100! Is it a con?
Views: 83,387
# 41
Trampy
Old 23-04-2008, 4:13 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I forgot I mention a couple of things. Firstly, every time you do one of Eurochance's online comps you get put back into the database. Also, if you enter something else with slightly different details the system cannot identify you as already being on the system, so you get duplicated.

Secondly, each agent's commissions and performance are also linked to dead calls per hour, calls made and calls converted. This means that some agents put you back into the auto-dialler's pot as 'unavailable,' 'callback,' or something else so that on their stats the call doesn't count against them as wasted.

These two factors result in lots of peole getting multiple calls. It's unfortunate, but it happens.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 42
MrsTee
Old 23-04-2008, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ok, Ive just received a call, having a badheadache means I can't think straight and I gave my sort code and account number to this lady, she assures me no money will be taken from my account until June 1st and just after that I'll receive my 208 lines.
As soon as I put the phone down I regretted it. 44 a month is an awful lot of money to me right now, sometimes I don't even do the normal lottery if I don't have enough money that week. I don't want to be committed to this amount of money every month. What can I do? I know I have a 14 day cooling off period, shall I cancel now or wait till I get my haggle card?
# 43
MrsTee
Old 23-04-2008, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ok decided I didn't need the 14 days, 14 minutes was long enough, called them on the 0844 number I was given. After 3 and half minutes of being told you are first in the queue you will be answered in approx 1 minutes...I got through and told her I wanted to cancel, she's blocked my phone number but said it may still go through as I've not yet got a membership number, so if I receive a welcome pack I've got to phone them again.

Thinking about it after reading this thread, if they haven't recruited 100 people since this thread started last August there's something sadly amiss. Also if there are 208 lines at £1.50 per line, yet people pay an average of 40 p line where's the other money coming from? Probably the winnings.
# 44
DaveSaunders
Old 24-04-2008, 1:12 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Arrrrgggggghhh Euroshare100

What happened to the epic I posted on this topic a minute ago eh?
Anyway

A few weeks ago while staring at a quiet facebook, I saw 'win an Audi', and thought, well..... 'someone has to win it '.....Click

Today my friend takes a phonecall and tells me it's about a draw I had entered to win a car, I could easily remember cos it was the only time for at least six months that I have actually abandoned all reason and even looked at a pop-up advert.

And now, they were ringing ME, about the Audi.
I thought I may of possibly won something as I moved to the phone.

The fella only referred to MY Audi and the draws host, planet49 momentarily, he just stated that I was 'still in' the draw.!!!
Whatever next.?
Well, it's not a 'cold' call anymore, But it's a very cold hearted script, cleverly worked, planned and then fronted by pleasant sounding naive pawns.
They want your bank account details. Of cause they do.
NO friendly company should ever ask of their customers so damn blatently.
No way should you give in to this breed.
I won't, you know.
EuroLottery syndicate might not drain your account overnight, but it is a proper mug's game..... please ask a mathematician if you don't believe me.
Haggle card comes from the same place ...........
The too trusting, the too naive, the life sheltered and the poor
pay all their wages. And they couldn't care less.
Their kind will evolve out and we'll all have a laugh about it.
# 45
moanymoany
Old 24-04-2008, 7:41 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Boy are there some weird posts on this thread!

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who is a regular on any forum would simply hand down the phone their bank details! :rolleyes:

And what's with all the 1st and 2nd time posters? Call me a cynic but I don't believe a word of it! They're 'avin a larf

As said before - if it sounds too good to be true ..........................
# 46
Trampy
Old 24-04-2008, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Mrs Tee, it's roughly 5.3p, not 40p per line.

832 lines per month @ 5.3p = 44.10.

Their profits are from their bulk-sale commission and the deficit between 100 members at 44 and 1,248 to buy the tickets. This doesn't take into account people dropping out of a syndicate and the extra four weeks that are paid for 'free.'

The sums add up and the deal is completely transparent. It's just that some (most) people are unable or unwilling to do the maths and then complain when they finally figure it out. The syndicates aren't scams, they're just very cleverly worded. You get exactly what you're told you'll get for your money, but it'd be cheaper by a substantial amount to find ninety-nine other people yourself! It would then only cost you 13.52 per month to be a member of such a syndicate.
# 47
fonemonkey
Old 27-04-2008, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi everyone, I know this is my first post and some of you will treat this with suspicion but there is no need to as i am genuinely posting to tell/warn you of my experience with the eurochance100.

I myself am a student in brighton, and i work at telegen on church street, i have worked there since the beginning of march, and when i started, we were working on a campaign for the telegraph newspaper, and this was really an actual bargain (for people who read the telegraph) and for most people the reason they didnt sign up, was because they didnt read it often enough, or because they didnt want to part with large sums of money quarterly (even though they would be making quite a large saving)...but anyway, a couple of weeks ago, we were told the telegraph campaign was coming to an end and that we were all going to go onto the DTD Eurochance100 campaign.

Now i was absolutely dreading this. When i began in telesales (this was my first job in this type of work) I imagined that we would be calling people trying to sell them things of no use to them that they didnt want, and the Telegraph campaign was a shock as it didnt involve a strict script, and was a real bargain, that a lot of people wanted.

On the other hand, now working on the eurochance campaign, this is how i imagined telesales to be, its a complete and utter con, not in any way that you will be ripped off by you having money stolen from you, but just look at the returns on it!

thanks to Dooped for sharing this information

"I actually need to learn to say.. "NO" and hang up the phone to these calls. As far as I'm concerned Eurochance100 is a complete and utter scam and I've been trying to cancel my 'account' with them for over a month. My Personal Account page on their site looks something like this (well, it looks exactly like this):

Date Discription Amount
02.01.2008 Payment 36.00
16.01.2008 Fee -36.00
21.01.2008 Win 0.37
28.01.2008 Win 0.42
31.01.2008 Payout -0.79
31.01.2008 Payment 36.00
04.02.2008 Win 0.75
11.02.2008 Win 0.83
13.02.2008 Fee -36.00
18.02.2008 Win 0.29
25.02.2008 Win 0.91
29.02.2008 Payout -2.78
02.03.2008 Payment 36.00
03.03.2008 Win 0.75
10.03.2008 Win 1.17
17.03.2008 Win 1.19
18.03.2008 Fee -36.00
24.03.2008 Win 0.72
31.03.2008 Payout -3.83
31.03.2008 Payment 36.00
01.04.2008 Win 0.65
07.04.2008 Win 0.57
14.04.2008 Win 0.36
15.04.2008 Fee -36.00
21.04.2008 Win 2.79

I've royally taken it up the rear and am getting slammed by overdraft fees, don't be a tard like me and fall for this kind of nonsense.

Rgds,
Dooped"

So Dooped has spent 144 on the eurochance and has won a grand total of......11.41
totalling a loss of 135.59 ....and whats worse, is now the syndicate costs 44 a month, 8 more than at this point!

now what that meant is that in 3 and a half months, Dooped syndicate won 1141, which would be nice, but he gets 1/100th of it....

anyway what i'm trying to say by posting all of this is saying that this really is something you should not sign up for!!

I know this means i wont be getting any commision but to be fair, in the 3 weeks ive been on this campaign ive made only 6 sales, and they were to people who frankly couldnt tell their !!!! from their elbow.

Another thing that really !!!!es me off about this is that we open the script on "you registered to win an audi of 500,000 on one of our websites"..
Now i dont mean to be horrible, or offencive, but for gods sake, who ACTUALLY believes they will win ANYTHING by entering your information onto a website competition!!??

This, for people who have a general lack of awareness of marketing companies, is how they collect information, (we were basically told this when being trained for this product) that they assume people who sign up for competitions online are very suggestable and possibly gullible to the fact that they have a chance of winning.

The fact that i would use to support this would be that people have been being told they are "in the final stages" of this prize draw since at least january!
I personally reckon that there isnt an Audi, and there isnt 500k to be won, and that a great deal of people have been royally mugged off.

I'm planning on leaving this week, and going to work in the american express call centre here in brighton... hope you guys can forgive me for just doing my job!

hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fonemonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
cheznal
Old 29-04-2008, 11:01 PM

I cant believe we have been so stupid and have signed up to this thing. My husband even gave them his bank details. We have called the bank and asked them to stop any payments coming out of the account but they cant do anything until the scammers have taken money from the account - or so they say! I dont know what else to do, apart from give us both a big kick up the backside. He sounded very convincing on the phone, and knew my name, date of birth, address, telephone number etc etc, and said I had entered a draw for an Audi too. As soon as my husband put the phone down, I realised that we have never entered any prize draw for a car - why would I do this when we cant drive???

We are now stuck with what to do and I feel physically sick at what I have done. Any ideas of what to do next as I am stumped for ideas and the bank wont help.

thanks
Smoke-free since 7/12/2011 :0)
October Wins: Dark choc KitKat, Aero Orange biscuits, Sunderland tix, 3 x echo falls nail wraps, 2 x Google Nexus 7 tablet, 23 x 5 google play vouchers, Tesco Hudl Tablet, Now Tv Box, 4 cushelle koalas, Pair of cineworld tix
# 49
cheznal
Old 29-04-2008, 11:02 PM

oh and the website for Eurochance 100 is now unavailable with the message 'DB failed too many connections'
October Wins: Dark choc KitKat, Aero Orange biscuits, Sunderland tix, 3 x echo falls nail wraps, 2 x Google Nexus 7 tablet, 23 x 5 google play vouchers, Tesco Hudl Tablet, Now Tv Box, 4 cushelle koalas, Pair of cineworld tix
# 50
Trampy
Old 30-04-2008, 12:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cheznal,

Unfortunately, since you or your husband accepted the telephone 'contract' it'll be difficult to do much about it at this stage. The only thing you can do to ensure that no money leaves your account is to cancel as soon as you receive your confirmation letter. The letter normally arrives ten days before the 1st of the month. Monies get taken on the 1st in order to be processed for that month's playing period.

If you're in the May period and haven't received your letter yet, then there's something amiss. If it's for June you'll have plenty of time in which to cancel. Poor salesperson who sold it to you will lose their commission, but that's far less than the amount you'll be paying out in the first three months.

By the way, keep a hold of the Haggle Card that you get - it's complementary anyway!
# 51
cheznal
Old 30-04-2008, 7:56 PM

thanks Trampy, I hope it works. He caught us off guard at 8.50pm when we had just got home from work, cold wet and tired. The bank is monitoring the account now and I will cancel as soon as i receive this pack.

thanks again
# 52
Trampy
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Can anyone who has signed-up please post a copy of the confirmation letter and the first letter showing their numbers?

I'm curious to see what the wording is.
# 53
moleman1985
Old 24-05-2008, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Its not a scam but very unfair. You pay 9 pounds for 224 cards.
That means you pay 9 pounds for 336 pound worth of cards so you'd expect to get a 2.68% payout of the total prize, wrong! ok you'd expect the company to have it's cut but they give you 1.01% of the prize money! They take more money than you! They take 62% of the prize leaving you with only 38%, now that is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That should be illegal to take so much from you!
# 54
cyclatronics
Old 01-07-2008, 3:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry eurochance is a con

i too got a call today got suspicious when they asked for my bank details just to send me a no obligation information pack hmm also when i asked "when is the competition being drawn " my reply was eerr um its eerr later in the year ." when "i said . he went on to say eerm um its later in the year somtime i found this quite amusing i've led him to believe i am interested can't wait for him to call back to see how many more aquward questions i can throw at him hee hee i'm proper glad i checked up i could have fallen for it were it not for the handing over of bank details on the phone if i'd be sent or emailed some blah i might well have done. hmm well maybe not but he was quite convincing please excuse the spelling
# 55
slickdavid
Old 08-07-2008, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

they phoned me yesterday ,my wife answered i told her to tell them i was out .they said they would phone back .did a redial on the phone and it goes to a cancellation area.this was also for the audi
# 56
starean
Old 14-07-2008, 2:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Chances are...

Hi...

Not ordinarily one to engage in forums but this particular one came up when I did a little background research into this Eurochance thing, having received one of these apparently common calls offering me haggle cards and the opportunity to be a part of these syndicates. The bullsh*t radar went off and I was quite irritated by it. I got a call from a guy with an enthusiastic french accent, was told of my 'final draw status' for an Audi, which, unfortunately, I do remember signing up for in Liverpool St Station, but it was over year ago. Not again. But the point is this.

Financial 'anything' is having a tough time at the moment as you are all aware. Whether this Eurochance operation falls under the definition of scam or not is for each own to interpret; the law will have a surprising view.
Spending 11 per week, 44 a month or 528 a year is a lot of money to put into something with no definable return. For those who can afford this, easily or otherwise, it is not enough of a return to be worth it - as an exercise for your intuitition, if nothing else.
They are playing a continent wide game. this means literally hundreds of millions of potential players. The odds are too low. and even if your syndicate was to win it is only 1% that is yours.

That kind of odds for 500 p/a is crazy. and the chances are that the ones who end up going for it are the ones who can ill afford it the most. please be careful with your money. times are hard. they will be so for at least another 18 months, if not longer and that is only when the markets start to hopefully see some recovery. Consumers will have to wait a time longer. We are seeing the cost of everything go up. dont add to it by giving money away for useless and virtually impossible returns. This may not be a 'scam' but it plays on the trusting, the disproportionately hopeful, the less-aware and the ones who are managing a ever-squeezing budget and are just about desperate enough to try this out in the hope of a big win.

Apologies for the length!
# 57
DeepintheRed
Old 14-07-2008, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I thought this kind of thing featured regularly on Watchdog and similar programmes? Wouldn't touch any of them with the proverbial bargepole ... and I don't think Audi could make enough cars for all the winners!!

Mind you, I could always sell it and put the money towards my debt :-)
# 58
johnnymtt
Old 05-08-2008, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default audi draw

I'm in there for the Audi too!
I listened to a very good spiel re the Haggle card from a very personable agent.

The maths were very clear to me - when he eventually explained there'd be 99 others paying 11 a week and sharing a total of 208 chances, I realised the returns weren't good enough.

This clearly isn't an illegal scam, but you need your wits about you to work out how much you will probably lose.
# 59
pupkit
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Eurochance !!!

This scam .. if it is a scam is still on the go.. I received a call today claiming i could win my Audi A3, and join the Eurochance syndicate and get a FREE Haggle card!! having not heard of the haggle card i looked up on the net and ended up finding all these postings!! I wasn't happy giving my bank details either so i asked Antoni to phone me back which he did (after not agreeing to me phoning him back on 0844 8802598) even gave me address where the company is based and quoted the direct debit rules and regulations for the UK!! I must have my wits about me today as i didnt give him any details... the phone rang an hour later but i ignored it ... caller was from a network that does not transmit numbers... i presume to be this company!! I'm now glad i didnt give any details.. if anyone is interested in the address they gave me i will happily pass it on!!
# 60
kayla20
Old 20-08-2008, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

i recently sighned up with euro 100 but to be honest im not quite sure how it works .it seems genuine as a few friends of mine are with them and have recived regular winnings . im looking forward to giving it a try