Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Eurochance 100! Is it a con? (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Eurochance 100! Is it a con?
Views: 83,386
# 21
bank_of_slate
Old 13-03-2008, 6:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Was the letter signed by Tom Champagne?
...Linda xx
It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
saggingvenus
Old 13-03-2008, 6:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

nope - not signed - just ends with:

Eurochance100 Service Team

Whats worrying is the account details aren't even mine or I am not sure perhaps they relate to the haggle card account? Although thinking about they can't be the haggle account because the sort code for the bank account started with 40 which means HSBC. I bank with HSBC and when I called them earlier to stop any payment demands, she agreed it would be an HSBC account so to make things worse they seem to have given me someone else's account details
# 23
saggingvenus
Old 13-03-2008, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

just got an email from eurochance:

Dear XX,

Corresponding to our 14 day "cancellation of agreement clause" we have duly accepted your notice of cancellation.
Due to technical reasons beyond our control it is not always possible for us to manually cancel the direct debit order once the order has been placed. Please contact your bank immediately to stop the debit being booked. If your account has already been debited please request your bank to reverse the transaction.
Please ignore any failure of payment notification you may receive.

Yours faithfully

Curt von Guionneau

I have replied asking how the hell they set the account up in the first place and to explain how they have revealed someone else's bank account details to me. Not a good add for their security...
# 24
bank_of_slate
Old 13-03-2008, 6:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

To be honest I wouldn't even have replied!
...Linda xx
It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
The Following User Says Thank You to bank_of_slate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
Toto
Old 13-03-2008, 6:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

How would you know if you won the jackpot. Call me a cynic but what's to stop them from buying tickets, pocketing a big win and you'd never know the difference, would you? ohh now I wish I'd got an exclusive invite so I could torture the sales person until they are sobbing for mercy

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
# 26
bermy
Old 14-03-2008, 2:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default have i been scammed

hi all, this moring i too had a call from eurochance claiming i had entered the top 50 places for the audi and that i had been selected to join their lottery sydicate. i mad the msitake of parting with all the information they required. for a short while i was quite excited then it strated to dawn on me what i had done. i promptly phoned HSBC and told them to not allow any direct debits to be set up onmy account without my signtur eof approval.

they recommended i close my entire account,all my savings accounts, credit cards etc, and swap over to a new account number etc. i have subsequently done so and await my new cards etc.

Bit of a panic but atleast i have rid myself of further risk.
# 27
saggingvenus
Old 14-03-2008, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

the company have called me back and indicated they had checked the records against my name and indeed they had a log of all the calls their employee had made to me (totalled about 10) and I confirmed with the exception of the first one (when I answered and said I had no time to discuss and gave no details) that none of the calls had been answered. He told me the name of the person who called me and when i advised I had contacted my bank and also given them the details of the 'account' eurochance had detailed in their letter to me he said something along the lines of 'oh this is obviously much more serious than I realised - it will have to be referred'. I think it scared him slightly to say the least that I had informed the bank (he even confirmed the bank details relate to an HSBC account in Middlesex!). I also mentioned that the police may be interested in this....

he said he would call back and let me know the outcome of the investigation - I doubt I will hear more but have email confirmation of cancelled account with them and my bank have confirmed they will not let any direct debits be set up on my accounts.
# 28
kirsteenatom
Old 20-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I just got a phone call from them today - thankfully i was just pleasant and said no and that was it - but it's obviously going on
Sporadic comper due to two small children - best prizes, PSP, Ipod, Christmas hamper from Selfridges

# 29
kittykat500
Old 22-03-2008, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Has anyone else actually signed up with their bank account details? My ex has done so and when he told me about it - apart from calling him a no. 1 to88er, I urged him to cancel asap - which hopefully he has done. He seemed convinced that Virgin Media had something to do with it - any truth?
# 30
weebit
Old 22-03-2008, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i got a call from them a few weeks back. i was on the tube at the time and when i said "i've never heard of you" to them, loads of people looked at me funny! as soon as he mentioned about me entering a competition to win half a million pounds, i just hung up the phone.
Yo-yo DFW!
# 31
nikkihawkins84
Old 28-03-2008, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Im the same as tjurek, Ive given them a chance and if I dont win then I wont sign on properly - I was told it was a trial and they wont carry it on for more that 3 DD's unless you agree to it.
And whats the harm in having a little faith in this syndicate, I mean how many of you do the lottery every week, thats taking a chance on random numbers as much as this is.
xxx
March Grocery Challenge: 58.26/200
# 32
mcjordi
Old 28-03-2008, 1:14 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to mcjordi

im in the draw too for an audi
i hung up when they wanted money
Sealed pot challenger # 257
this week (sun-sat evening so far) 2.9km
total distance 2.9km
# 33
Dan_Brown
Old 13-04-2008, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

This thread is possibly dead due to the last ever post here, but for future refrence heres my piece on it. I too gave my bank details and decided to give it a go. i did enter the audi draw, and i did get my haggel card.

Ask yourself this guys, if it really is a scam (which it may well be, i dont even know yet) then why do they take so long to set up your account? I gave them my DD details, and it took them almost 8 weeks to set up my DD and take my first payment. If they were ripping you off they could set it up that day and start taking money.... thats my first point

Second, my 1st DD came out, and they took only what stated, so they havent emptied my bank. I now get to see if i get any returns for the next 4 weeks, before i even think about letting the next payment go out. DDs can be cancelled easily and i think they would be taking visa payments if they wanted to rip you off.

One other point, like i mentioned above, the fact it took about 8 weeks to set up, actually makes you think it would take that long to place you in a syndicate of 100 people and get it set up right so you can begin playing...

Meh i dunno, just my views, but its the first company that took my details and said, "unfortunatly Mr brown, no, we cannot let you start playing any sooner, you must wake 8 weeks, then wel start taking your money"

Il let you know if i win anything mind.

Dan
# 34
tallyhoh
Old 13-04-2008, 9:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Brown View Post
Ask yourself this guys, if it really is a scam (which it may well be, i dont even know yet) then why do they take so long to set up your account? I gave them my DD details, and it took them almost 8 weeks to set up my DD and take my first payment. If they were ripping you off they could set it up that day and start taking money.... thats my first point

Second, my 1st DD came out, and they took only what stated, so they havent emptied my bank. I now get to see if i get any returns for the next 4 weeks, before i even think about letting the next payment go out. DDs can be cancelled easily and i think they would be taking visa payments if they wanted to rip you off.

One other point, like i mentioned above, the fact it took about 8 weeks to set up, actually makes you think it would take that long to place you in a syndicate of 100 people and get it set up right so you can begin
Sorry Dan, but first time posters posting in defence of possible scams are viewed with great suspicion, not saying thats the correct thing to do but thats how it is.
Let us know how you get on.
Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 14,040 so far!
The Following User Says Thank You to tallyhoh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Dan_Brown
Old 14-04-2008, 9:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sorry, i understand. Didnt think about that. I saw the last post was last year so didnt want a reply. I only just posted because my first DD weant out and my first set of syndicate tickets are due soon. So thought id read up on it (bit late now i know) I never did any research, and when i searched eurochance100 this came up on google.

Was just curious why it would take 8 weeks to set up if they actually didnt do anything, if iw as scamming id drain money from day one before they did there google research and saw everyone saying "scam scam scam", lol. but il soon find out. Il play for this month, let next months DD go, then cancell if by 8 weeks ive seen no luck.

Il certainly let you know how i get on, dont want others ripped off if it is a huge scam.

Thanks for your reply
# 36
weebit
Old 15-04-2008, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

since this thread has risen back, i thought i'd add that they ahve called me up 2 more times since my previous post! the first time i told them i wasn't interested in taking part in their lottery scam, and hung up the phone. they called again a couple of days later and asked to be taken off the list because "i'm not interested in taking part in your weird lotttery syndicate thingy"
Yo-yo DFW!
# 37
jak
Old 15-04-2008, 2:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

They calle dme and I told them to !!!!!! off. I've been getting loads of calls since I filled in a couple of competitions i found on the comp. thread! Not doing that anymore...
Sober and happy!
Pay back Dad 1000, Credit card 497
# 38
plastic47
Old 20-04-2008, 8:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

This is even more of a scam than you may have realised. If you get involved with Eurochance100 your details will be passed to Telegen UK - a call-centre that is well-known for nuisance calls. They will call you repeatedly, not just on behalf of Eurochance but also on behalf of AXA, PPP, The Telegraph Media Group, HBOS and the RAC. They ignore the Telephone Preference Scheme because they say that you have given them permission to make unlimited spam telephone calls. They also ignore the fact that you may be ex-directory. To see more details go to www.whocallsme.com and type in any of these numbers - 08000520029, 08009121695 or 08009121698. It is not a scam in the sense of taking your money, but it is a real nuisance - just ask the 200 or so victims who have complained on www.whocallsme.com so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plastic47 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Dooped
Old 22-04-2008, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I actually need to learn to say.. "NO" and hang up the phone to these calls. As far as I'm concerned Eurochance100 is a complete and utter scam and I've been trying to cancel my 'account' with them for over a month. My Personal Account page on their site looks something like this (well, it looks exactly like this):

Date Discription Amount
02.01.2008 Payment 36.00 £
16.01.2008 Fee -36.00 £
21.01.2008 Win 0.37 £
28.01.2008 Win 0.42 £
31.01.2008 Payout -0.79 £
31.01.2008 Payment 36.00 £
04.02.2008 Win 0.75 £
11.02.2008 Win 0.83 £
13.02.2008 Fee -36.00 £
18.02.2008 Win 0.29 £
25.02.2008 Win 0.91 £
29.02.2008 Payout -2.78 £
02.03.2008 Payment 36.00 £
03.03.2008 Win 0.75 £
10.03.2008 Win 1.17 £
17.03.2008 Win 1.19 £
18.03.2008 Fee -36.00 £
24.03.2008 Win 0.72 £
31.03.2008 Payout -3.83 £
31.03.2008 Payment 36.00 £
01.04.2008 Win 0.65 £
07.04.2008 Win 0.57 £
14.04.2008 Win 0.36 £
15.04.2008 Fee -36.00 £
21.04.2008 Win 2.79 £

I've royally taken it up the rear and am getting slammed by overdraft fees, don't be a tard like me and fall for this kind of nonsense.

Rgds,
Dooped

Last edited by Dooped; 22-04-2008 at 9:58 PM.
# 40
Trampy
Old 23-04-2008, 3:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

First things first, I am a Telegen employee on this campaign.

Without dwelling on who said what previously, I shall try to shed some light on what's been discussed so far.

Telegen is a call centre that runs campaigns for third parties using 100% solicited information outside of the TPS. For example, the Telegraph approached us with their database and asked us to call their readers to offer discounted subscriptions. This info was gathered from people ticking those boxes that give permission to be contacted. Telegen are given this info and don't collect it themselves. If you're called it means you ticked a box somewhere giving approval. This is allowed outside of your TPS status.

Okay, now that's cleared up...Eurochance isn't a scam just because it comes out of a call centre. The Euromillions lines are legitimately bought for the syndicated. The delay in setting up and taking the direct debits are twofold. One, a DD takes two weeks to set up. Two, the syndicates need to be filled up first and draw periods run from the 15th to the 14th monthly. All DDs are taken on the 1st. These factors can lead to delays. Whether you consider the costs and odds to be favourable or not are up to you as we're 100% transparent on what you get for how much. For the cynics, deal with this issue.

Now for the negative stuff. All agents are on a low basic plus commission. If sales per hour are under a certain amount, then all accrued commission is lost. This results in creative selling. Human nature. The opening line about the car and cash shouldn't mention you being in the last stages. We have sales compliance where this is picked up and if the score is below a certain level and the membership MIS-sold we get striped that commission. You're still at the start of the prize draw.

The clincher we use is the Haggle Card. I have one and I love it. We're supposed to really sell this as a bonus. It is good and if you use it well it can make you some money. I know someone who males 200-300 per week with theirs. Go figure!

I know I haven't addressed all the issues, but be assured that there is no scam as you get what you were sold, even though it may not be as magical as you first hoped.

I look forward to your replies!