Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    • 608Posts
    • 371Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback
    • 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback 9th Feb 15 at 10:18 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:15 PM.
Page 29
    • Mikeyorks
    • By Mikeyorks 5th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    Mikeyorks
    Renewal
    Similarly just had an email from GB Energy reminding me my current (and excellent) fixed term (electricity only) expires end July. And inviting me to extend for another year via a tariff (My GB Lite 2018 Elec) that apparently doesn't exist. Either on their website or via my account.

As it's virtually the best on offer (despite the 20% hike) rang them this morning and have been switched across manually.

The GB Lite is usually a dual fuel only but has been opened up to either fuel (existing?) customers. Unfortunately their IT doesn't acknowledge it yet.

Have to say it's the first 'issue' I've had since the takeover by Co-Op in late Nov. So content to stay a further year. And particularly as the slightly better price option is Bristol, whose feedback is as bad as it gets.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    • geoffW
    • By geoffW 5th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    geoffW
    Similarly just had an email from GB Energy reminding me my current (and excellent) fixed term (electricity only) expires end July. And inviting me to extend for another year via a tariff (My GB Lite 2018 Elec) that apparently doesn't exist. Either on their website or via my account.

As it's virtually the best on offer (despite the 20% hike) rang them this morning and have been switched across manually.

The GB Lite is usually a dual fuel only but has been opened up to either fuel (existing?) customers. Unfortunately their IT doesn't acknowledge it yet.

Have to say it's the first 'issue' I've had since the takeover by Co-Op in late Nov. So content to stay a further year. And particularly as the slightly better price option is Bristol, whose feedback is as bad as it gets.
    Originally posted by Mikeyorks
    My fixed term (also electricity) ends in August and my latest statement says I could save £81 pa by switching to GB Lite 2018 however when I checked the prices I found it was 2.75p per unit dearer and the standing charge was 1.65p per day dearer too.
    I believe the savings quoted are based on a completely different tariff which you might go on when the current tariff ends, so beware.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 5th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Yeah I had the same issue too, never did find out where the savings of the GB Lite 2018 came from, considering I was coming from a dirt cheap tariff with the new tariff giving me supposed savings of £92 a year.

It seemed too good to be true so I decided sod it, I'm off and found another provider with a cheaper standing charge and unit rate than anything listed on GB Energy's site.
    • Peter004
    • By Peter004 7th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peter004
    GB Energy
    Has anyone reported GB Energy to the Ombudsman
    Ofgem for their practice which seem to be obtaining money under false pretences or out and out fraud?
    • Peter004
    • By Peter004 7th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peter004
    If they are incompetent they should not be in business.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 7th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Are you talking about Co-op Energy Ltd trading as GB Energy supply billing people for a separate limited company which has been in Administration since November?
    • Peter004
    • By Peter004 14th Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peter004
    Peter004
    The question of who owns what is very interesting. Following the collapse of GB Energy Supply customers were told that Coop Energy had taken over the supply of gas and electricity and would honour the existing Fixed contracts at existing (i.e. contractually agreed) rates. I was a beneficiary of those low rates and was pleased at the time by the rapid response by Ofgem. I have (had?) a contract with GB Energy for duel fuel supply at fixed rates which expires on 9th. August, 2017. I do not know whether that contract has any legal validity any longer or whether it is deemed to be the case that I have now a contract with Coop Energy Ltd even though I have not consented to such and thus consider it to be illegal, or doubtful to say the least. I have never been informed of a transfer - takeover - of ownership of GB Energy to Coop Energy Ltd. I do not know what the legal position is. I have continued to pay the direct debit for the sum agreed with GB Energy in order to pay the estimated annual cost of providing dual fuel. I overestimated my consumption mainly because of a boiler change and improved insulation and as a consequence have always had a credit balance which is currently well in excess of £100 whilst the direct debit is (or was!) £35 per month. I suppose that, theoretically, I was a creditor at the time of GB Energy going into administration. On 25th. April I received notification from a person called Andrew Springall, Head of Customer Experiences ( honestly) that, following a review, my monthly direct debit was to be increased to £48 per month, an increase of 37% approximately. I was not pleased to state it mildly for my consumption of both fuels decreases significantly in the Summer months and even at the existing level of direct debit my credit balance would also increase when, to quote them (GB Energy or Coop Energy?) the point of spreading costs over 12 months of equal payments is to close with a zero balance. I proposed solutions for them to consider which involved reducing the direct debit and/or refunding the credit balance and asked for their proposals. The notification of the increase in direct debit letter of 25th. April listed the points which had been considered which led to the decision which manifestly had not been considered at all and my attempts to obtain clarification and details were met with obfuscation. In principle I object to lending money to an energy company or any other company and I particularly object to being required, not asked, to increase the sum which I am lending for spurious reasons for which no reliable and valid evidence is, or can be, provided.
    I do not know which company I am dealing with because it has not been made clear what the legal position is. However, if the demand for more money is representative of many of the customers who contracted a Fixed 12 Crystal agreement with GB Energy in the Summer of 2016 then the increased income for the business could be substantial and the risk taken by the business would be zero. In other words, it is "money for old rope"
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 15th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    Peter004 raises some interesting points. The situation is indeed confused - my bills following the transfer of business were stated at the foot to be in the name of "GB Energy Supply Supported by Co-operative Energy Ltd". Andy Springer's letter demanding an increase in Direct Debit which I received by email in April is from "GB Energy Supply, part of Co-operative Energy".

Much of this confusion arises from the use of the name "GB Energy Supply". GB Energy Supply was the trading name of GB Energy Supply Ltd. That limited company is in liquidation, but the trading name of GB Energy Supply was sold to Co-operative Energy (for £1!) as part of the sale of assets of GB Energy Supply Ltd by the Administrators of that company. The sale of assets to the Co-op also included all customer debts and accrued income as at 30th November 2016. All of this is in the formal Statement of Administrator's Proposals as required by the insolvency Act, and you can read it for yourselves in full here:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08500842/filing-history/MzE2NjA2MTgzNmFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

If you intend to tranfer to a new supplier when your fixed tariff ends - as I assume you will - and you expect your credit balance to cover the amount of energy you will use until then, then personally I would contact my bank to cancel the direct debit mandate and inform GB Energy Supply that you have done so and why. You could also request an immediate refund of any excess of the credit balance over the estimated cost of energy to that date, but I expect you will be unsuccessful and have to wait until you have transferred and had a Final Bill. That was my experience with them in a very similar situation when my Ruby12 contract ended. To be fair, the Final Bill was produced and the refund paid by GB Energy without undue delay following my transfer date although in my case the new supplier was prompt in giving GB Energy the opening meter read and there was no dispute raised, which have caused issues for other posters on the forum.
    sidbee
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 16th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    It doesn't make sense that all alleged debts have been sold to Co-op Energy Ltd because some debtors are being chased by the Administrators and some by Co-op Energy Ltd?
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 17th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    Yeah I had the same issue too, never did find out where the savings of the GB Lite 2018 came from, considering I was coming from a dirt cheap tariff with the new tariff giving me supposed savings of £92 a year.

It seemed too good to be true so I decided sod it, I'm off and found another provider with a cheaper standing charge and unit rate than anything listed on GB Energy's site.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    GB Energy are using the same "savings" calculations as the comparison sites. There is a presumption that when you finish your current tariff, you move onto the standard tariff e.g 1 month Crystal + 11 month's SVR.

The "savings" are, of course.illusory as prices have gone up a lot, especially from their very low rate. Their calculations are based on one month Crystal + 11 month's on a fixed tariff, which is cheaper.

Nothing dishonest here.

I wouldn't write off the new September 18 rate as it is only £30 more than the best available on comparison sites for me. However, I am still facing a big increase.
    Je suis sabot...
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 17th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    It doesn't make sense that all alleged debts have been sold to Co-op Energy Ltd because some debtors are being chased by the Administrators and some by Co-op Energy Ltd?
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    As far as I know, debit balances accrued by those who opted to transfer from GB Energy before the date of Administration were excluded from the sale and therefore being collected by the Administrator. I don't know if this accounts for all of those who have been approached though.
    sidbee
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 17th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    GB Energy are using the same "savings" calculations as the comparison sites. There is a presumption that when you finish your current tariff, you move onto the standard tariff e.g 1 month Crystal + 11 month's SVR.

The "savings" are, of course.illusory as prices have gone up a lot, especially from their very low rate. Their calculations are based on one month Crystal + 11 month's on a fixed tariff, which is cheaper.

Nothing dishonest here.

I wouldn't write off the new September 18 rate as it is only £30 more than the best available on comparison sites for me. However, I am still facing a big increase.
    Originally posted by Hoof Hearted
    Just make sure you know the unit rate and standing charge of the tariff they are offering, because the one they offered me wasn't published anywhere and when I eventually found out what the rates were and did the sums myself the actual annual cost based on my estimated annual consumption worked out at rather more than the estimated annual cost they had quoted to me in their renewal letter.
    sidbee
    • Peter004
    • By Peter004 27th Jun 17, 3:43 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peter004
    Following several interchanges of e-mails with both customer services staff and complaints officers I can honestly report that none of them understand what they are doing nor each other - always assuming that they don't set out to deceive rather than address problems. I have found that the major problem is with the "personal projection" of gas consumption. The contracted gas consumption upon transfer was 6000 kWh. This was an over-estimate on my part, this being a consequence of a boiler change to a more efficient model and improved insulation. The actual consumption on Page 1 of an Annual Gas Summary was 3397 kWh (May 2016 - May 2017). The projected consumption for gas on Page 2 of the Summary is for 9912 kWh. The latter is the basis for all calculations and GB C.S. and C.O. cannot, or do not want, to acknowledge or recognise this. They cannot grasp the significance of being on a fixed rate tariff and being substantially in credit and assume that customers will be staying beyond the fixed term. The Complaints Officer only used the 309 days which would have remained of a 12 month period after the end of the fixed rate to calculate my projected costs but still managed to estimate a cost of >£1400 and a direct debit of £119 per month!!! Estimated costs for this year were £418. I've no idea where the C.O. obtained the unit costs or standing charges used. Oh, and the Complaints Officer only included one fuel in the calculations. Needless to say, I wasn't told which one!! I have requested enlightenment but doubt that it will be forthcoming. All in all I have received five or six variations on this theme but no-one will consider the validity of the 9912 kWh projected gas consumption compared to the 3397 kWh shown, and agreed by me, on the Annual Gas Summary. No doubt that it is "the system" at fault and the GB operatives (Co-op?) are slaves unto the system.
    Thanks to everybody for their interesting replies.
    • jblackmore
    • By jblackmore 28th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jblackmore
    Impression I had when dealing with GB was the customer service was outsourced to a shared call centre who had only basic access and no understanding of the various systems, and are unable to make any changes or corrections. There is no escalation possible within the shared call centre as they can only email other teams, which generally just goes round in circles with no-one actually appreciating the issue or having authority to fix it even though it seems obvious/simple to us.

I battled with GB to pay final bill, which each time I phoned happy to pay an agreed amount, they changed the amount and couldn't explain why the amount differed from online bill (final bills being transient in GB/coop eyes) and refused to accept payment of anything else, after 3 attempts, I gave up and went through complaint route eventually they agreed to wipe out the £30 odd balance - hardly sensible or good service !

Clearly the energy market in the UK is broken, and all energy companies have systems in place to 'game' customers into paying too much, discouraging repeated switching which would be required to have genuine competition, and using dubious fixed tariffs and manipulating direct debit amounts using tenuous calculations to prolong this, with no sign of any change on the horizon !

Sadly, people on MSE are regular switchers, so are the tip of the iceberg, the vast majority just pay standard variable tariffs and are clearly being ripped off month after month and those are the true victims.
    Last edited by jblackmore; 28-06-2017 at 9:11 AM.
    • locky123
    • By locky123 28th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    locky123
    Received this yesterday...

Important changes to your account

We’re writing to let you know that after your next monthly bill, we’ll be moving your account to quarterly billing.

How does this change affect me?

Don’t worry, this does not affect the payments you make – these will be taken using your usual method of payment and at your regular payment amount.

Meter reading reminders will now also be issued on a quarterly basis. You can however provide us with meter readings as often as you like.

If you have any questions about this change to your account, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    • jblackmore
    • By jblackmore 29th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    jblackmore
    I can't believe coop are pursuing quarterly billing, surely when smart meters are moving to realtime billing, and every other supplier is on monthly, this is a huge backwards step, and the reason I left GB just before they folded.

The excuse I was given was they get so many customer service problems from incorrect monthly bills, they were hoping to reduce this by producing quarterly incorrect bills instead
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 29th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    I'm just moving from GB to Eon. I am currently about £90 in credit so will be interesting to see how quickly I get my money back.

As an aside, even though I am in credit they tried to increase my DD about 3 or 4 months ago by 30% I rang them and they changed it back after my protests.
    • musical_norwich
    • By musical_norwich 30th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    musical_norwich
    I have tried unsuccessfully to have my credit balance refunded to no avail since the beginning of the year. I have tried four times, submitted three complaints, multiple meter readings. Last time I was promised that a manager would deal with the issue but never did. I am now going to be about £160 in credit with a monthly bill of about £30. They have just written to me saying my direct debit is increasing to £49.

I think the 'switch now' emails and website messages should be banned as they are trying to switch customers from a much cheaper tariff before it ends. I can't believe OFGEM allows this.

I've had enough of them. The Lite 2018 electricity tariff I was offered was fixed until Sep 2018 with a TER of 15.12. British Gas has a fix until the end of August 2019 for a TER of 15.26. I'm off.
    • andyboro1975
    • By andyboro1975 30th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andyboro1975
    toto energy
    recently switched to toto energy as they were one of the cheapest and advertise no standing charges. I'm pre pay only. having just had smart meters installed I noticed my gas account suddenly has a 25p per day standing charge. when I queried them on this I was told it is now a legal requirement to add standing charges. I have checked their website and they and numerous others are still advertising zero standing charges. I have raised this issue with them and they say they will get back to me. does anyone know if it is in fact a legality now to have standing charges?
    • Hammer Time
    • By Hammer Time 30th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Hammer Time
    I have tried unsuccessfully to have my credit balance refunded to no avail since the beginning of the year. I have tried four times, submitted three complaints, multiple meter readings. Last time I was promised that a manager would deal with the issue but never did. I am now going to be about £160 in credit with a monthly bill of about £30. They have just written to me saying my direct debit is increasing to £49.

I think the 'switch now' emails and website messages should be banned as they are trying to switch customers from a much cheaper tariff before it ends. I can't believe OFGEM allows this.

I've had enough of them. The Lite 2018 electricity tariff I was offered was fixed until Sep 2018 with a TER of 15.12. British Gas has a fix until the end of August 2019 for a TER of 15.26. I'm off.
    Originally posted by musical_norwich
    I am also in the process of transferring to the BG Aug 2019 fix. Bad start they have mucked up my D/D already, so beware!!!
    Last edited by Hammer Time; 01-07-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Update
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,258Posts Today

7,107Users online

Martin's Twitter