Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    • 604Posts
    • 369Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier GB Energy Supply
    • 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier GB Energy Supply 9th Feb 15 at 10:18 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 28
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 16th Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    sheff6107
    GB Energy Supply Ltd (No. 08500842) went into Administration on 28th November and therefore there should be a clear cut off point for customers as their contracts ceased with this company and they started new contracts with Co-operative Energy Ltd (No. 6993470) on 29th November.

For ease of continuation they have not made this distinction, which appears helpful for existing customers not in debit, but I understand customers that have switched away are being billed for energy under contract with GB Energy Supply Ltd by Co-operative Energy Ltd. Strictly speaking they need to supply a Notice of Debt Assignment to do this.

I also understand some customers are receiving bills which do not take into account credit balances and/or have not had credit balances returned to them. They would probably think it unwise to hand over money before receiving any money owed to them.

Strictly speaking if you owe money to a company in Administration you should not hand it over to a company claiming to have taken over without supplying any legal proof the debt has been assigned to them. Otherwise you could end up with the Adminstrators chasing you for money you have handed over to a separate limited company.

Ofgem's advice has been very wooly and opinion based (with an emphasis of 'everything's ok, don't worry) without any mention of the legalities of 160,000 being potential creditors to a company in Administration.
    • Snooze
    • By Snooze 17th Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    Snooze
    I still have an online meter reading facility.

My billing cycle has changed from monthly to quarterly and the next is due at the end of April.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    I can still enter meter readings online as I did it this morning, My online account looks exactly the same as it did when it was GB, I'm also still on monthly billing so for me nothing has changed since the Co op have taken over.
    Originally posted by quietness
    That's odd how you guys have it and I don't. I only have the option to view old bills or contact them on their form. No area to input readings anymore. I wonder if it's because I cancelled the DD when they fell apart.
    • Grey Critic
    • By Grey Critic 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Grey Critic
    Email today informing me that they would be increasing my DD from £59 to £72.

I then had an interesting telephone conversation with them. Seems I have Electric on Crystal and Gas on Topaz. You can't do that for a dual fuel tariff - they have made the mistake.

I have rejected the increase in the DD as I am (a) In credit and we are moving into the lower usage period and (b) even if I accept their figures of my projected usage/cost over the next 12 months it still only comes out at £60 per month an increase of £1.00.
    • MarkYork
    • By MarkYork 20th Apr 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarkYork
    Outrageous increase in DD amount
    Despite being only £42.36 in debit after the winter period I have been informed that my monthly payments will increase from £49.00 to £87.00....!
    I called the customer support line and was told that the increased charge was to cover my anticipated use over the next 12 months. My fixed price tariff ends in August but they said that the figure was calculated assuming that I would move to their standard tariff in August and remain on it for the balance of the 12 month period. I said that this was ridiculous as I would be shopping around for a better deal when the fixed price deal ends.
    I was told that the increase was calculated automatically and that I was free to leave GB energy (now owned by Co-op Energy) at any time if I was unhappy.
    I asked to speak to a manager but was told that they would say exactly the same as that was how their systems worked.
    I am beyond gobsmacked that they would treat a customer in this way. I can only assume that they are trying to offload the unprofitable business they acquired from GB Energy.
    • Appletini
    • By Appletini 20th Apr 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Appletini
    MarkYork, this is how the vast majority (if not all) energy companies calculate their costs. Your personal projection is based on the remaining months of your tariff (so April to August) and then the remaining months on the SVR. It could be that your fixed direct debit was lowered at some point, and then because of the debit on the account after winter, plus the current personal projection being higher than your current fixed direct debit amount, your direct debit has had to be increased.
    • Grey Critic
    • By Grey Critic 21st Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Grey Critic
    I would suggest that the problem is due to the Co-op changing things round and trying to get more money in the coffers. Previously when it was GB Energy you would receive a monthly email asking for your meter reading. I am told that the new policy is not to do so. They are also stopping monthly billing. Actually not sure if they can do this as it is a change to the terms and conditions when we signed up. There are also problems with their computer data and forecasts. My latest bill says I used 43kwh gas against 2kwh in the same period last year. Total fiction which they admit, they also said that the forecast figures are wrong.

One suggestion for anyone who finds themselves with a debit balance is to make a one off payment bringing the account to zero or a slight credit.
    I have said I will not authorise an increase in my DD as I am in credit and will review it when the fixed deal ends when I think I will be moving elsewhere. Methinks come August when the fixed deals expire they will lose a lot of customers.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 21st Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Received a letter from GB energy today informing me my DD was increasing from £29 to £37 from next month. I'm £75 in credit, have solar panels (although they don't know that) so why increase it by nearly 30%?
    Anyway I called them and they have agreed to keep the DD at £29.
    Don't think I'll be staying after August when my fix finishes
    • MCGONIS
    • By MCGONIS 21st Apr 17, 8:17 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    MCGONIS
    Received a letter from GB energy today informing me my DD was increasing from £29 to £37 from next month. I'm £75 in credit, have solar panels (although they don't know that) so why increase it by nearly 30%?
    Anyway I called them and they have agreed to keep the DD at £29.
    Don't think I'll be staying after August when my fix finishes
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    I have today got an email saying payments are changing from £28 to £38. I am £15 in debit. Based on what happened to you, I have contacted them and said I agree only to £4 of an increase and not £10. My contract ends mid October and will probs move then to cheapest supplier. Thanks for sharing and will post back if things change.
    • Pickle Lily
    • By Pickle Lily 24th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pickle Lily
    Same here... informed of an increase from £45 to £57 per month despite being £60 in credit after winter and them forgetting to bill me in January. They also increased my annual estimated gas consumption by 65%. They blamed the tariff ending in August (fair enough) when I called them, but were not able to address the increase in estimated gas consumption without me providing additional meter readings (I'm at work so couldn't do that). I asked them to just review the data they had as I've been a customer for over a year so there's enough information. Apparently they couldn't so I've already switched to another provider.

I recommend everybody check the deals they're on as mine (Crystal Fixed) doesn't have any early exit fees.
    • locky123
    • By locky123 4th May 17, 7:59 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    locky123
    Recently received email informing DD was increasing with no justification.

Replied stating this was incorrect as usage had not increased and account always in credit and asked for justification.

GB Energy/Co-op reply agreed increase was incorrect and was fault of the system but no reason. They will amend DD to original amount next month.

I then asked for my credit to be refunded but was advised that I couldnt as my DD should only be altered once per month..."Please be advised that if your credit balance is low your direct debit amount can bee increased again, since the system regularly reviews direct debit amount for the customers who have low credit balance".

I asked what the system considered to be a minimum credit amount..."We advise all customers to retain two direct debit payments on their account to allow for any fluctuations of your usage during the course of the year"
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 4th May 17, 11:41 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    The original GB requirement was to have at least one month's credit on the account which could be quite significant in the winter months, so you'd have two payments going out in the same month.

IIRC the Direct Debit system went totally up the shoot a few months ago and many people, me included, had their direct debits increased by anything up to double. I ended up £400 in credit because of this but never had a bill over £30, and unsurprisingly nobody noticed this until I phoned them up and claimed three quarters of it back.

Still it was an excellent tariff (Topaz electric) while it lasted, mine ends next month. Nothing else came cheap at the time and nothing else now can touch it, sadly.
    • locky123
    • By locky123 4th May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    locky123
    GB Energy/Co-op are not transparent with how they review and calculate DD amount. They were not prepared to answer with any detail. Not sure whether this is typical and no doubt not part of Ofgem requirements. Obviously considered satisfactory practice by suppliers. Cant see the energy market improving in being simpler and transparent.
    • Mr K
    • By Mr K 19th May 17, 12:54 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Mr K
    My Topaz tariff is coming to an end , had an email from them giving me 2 choices, their variable rate a 60% increase or a 25% increase for 'My GB Lite 2018'. This tariff doesn't even exist when logging on to my account so there's no way to switch to it !

They omitted to mention the 3rd option, leaving, trouble is the cheapest for me is Extra Energy, who I've been with before, crap customer service and non-existent bills but cheap. Might have to bite the EE bullet again, price is everything.
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 30th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    Another little trick by GB Energy when you leave...
    My fixed tariff contract (fixed 12 Ruby) ended on 7 May. I switched to a different supplier, and their supply started 16 May The final bill from GB Energy supply was incorrect because it charged me at their variable Premium Energy Saver tariff from 7 May. They should have charged for the whole period on the fixed 12 Ruby tariff, as my new supplier had contacted them in good time and the switch was completed within a reasonable period.

When I pointed out the incorrect billing they produced a corrected account, saying that the system automatically switched me to the variable tariff on the expiry of the fixed tariff period. OK, not a huge amount involved for 9 days supply, but if they are trying this on with everyone who switches when a fixed tariff ends then it probably adds up to a tidy sum for them from people who don't check their final bill.

sidbee
    • Mr K
    • By Mr K 30th May 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Mr K
    My fixed tariff contract (fixed 12 Ruby) ended on 7 May. I switched to a different supplier, and their supply started 16 May The final bill from GB Energy supply was incorrect because it charged me at their variable Premium Energy Saver tariff from 7 May. They should have charged for the whole period on the fixed 12 Ruby tariff, as my new supplier had contacted them in good time and the switch was completed within a reasonable period.

When I pointed out the incorrect billing they produced a corrected account, saying that the system automatically switched me to the variable tariff on the expiry of the fixed tariff period. OK, not a huge amount involved for 9 days supply, but if they are trying this on with everyone who switches when a fixed tariff ends then it probably adds up to a tidy sum for them from people who don't check their final bill.

Originally posted by sidbee
    I'll look out for that, just initiated a switch away from them today. They do seem to be a bit of a shambles. They won't be retaining many customers if they send out emails offering tariffs that don't exist and you can't switch to !
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 31st May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    I'll look out for that, just initiated a switch away from them today. They do seem to be a bit of a shambles. They won't be retaining many customers if they send out emails offering tariffs that don't exist and you can't switch to !
    Originally posted by Mr K
    Yep, had the same thing before my switch - they offered me a 'saving' at the end of my fixed contract if I went to an unpublished special tariff instead of their standard variable tariff. As I didn't believe their figures I asked them for details of the unit price and standing charge. Instead if revealing them they replied that the tariff wasn't available to me as I was an electricity only customer and it was only being offered to dual fuel customers - this despite the fact that the letter telling me about the "special" deal was headed "Your fixed price electricity tariff ends soon" and named the tariff as "GB Online Exclusive May 2018 Elec". I'm undecided whether they are simply incompetent or deliberately trying to mislead (surely not........ )!
    sidbee
    • jimroy
    • By jimroy 31st May 17, 12:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jimroy
    I officially switched from GB Energy Supply to Green Network Energy on 15th May. I was 19p in credit on my 9th May bill with GB Energy supply. But it looks like my IGT supplied gas is in limbo as it's still showing active with GB Energy as well as with my new supplier. My Electric left them on the 4th May. My meter readings were given on the 10th May.

I am still technically on the Topaz tariff with the gas until 6th June then as they haven't closed my gas account. GB Energy have taken another direct debit out today with the increased gas and electric summer payment amount as if I'm still with them on the variable Premium Energy Saver tariff.

I'm paying dual fuel energy to two companies at the same time, when officially I should only be paying my new supplier from the 15th May which I already have.

What should I do?

Update:

I called the Consumer Energy Helpline on 03454 040506 option 1 who in my circumstances put me through to GB Energy Helpline's complaints escalation team.
    They're going to finalise my bill today and try and fast track a refund into my account within the next seven days.

It has had something to do with the delay of confirmation back of my final gas reading from my new supplier Green Network Energy. IGT problems when switching again! But as i pointed out it's the same one i gave both of them on the same day. So that's why it should be easy for them to get it resolved and finalised. We'll see. GB Energy are emailing me back later today they said.

Apparently Project Nexus hasn't affected my switch according to the Consumer Helpline. But going forward in the future when that's completed by the 6th June, we IGT customers won't have to go through this same old c*** every time we switch. We'll see.

Update: I waited two days for the email back from GB Energy Supply. They have now finalised my account and I owed them about £3 in the end. They're crediting me back the £26 or so they now owe me in the next 7 days. I got a copy of the final bill with the email and received a paper copy in the post today.

I'm really grateful to the Energy Consumer Helpline for giving GB Energy Supply a push to get things finalised.
    Last edited by jimroy; 06-06-2017 at 1:35 AM. Reason: Update.
    • Chip47
    • By Chip47 1st Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chip47
    Miffed
    I change electricty/gas supplier regularily, however, this morning Equifax have dropped my credit score by 14 points purely as a result of an E.O.N hard search. This has never happened before. Is it now that everytime I change electric/gas suppliers my credit card score will take a drop? This has really made me think twice about changing supplier!
    • jimroy
    • By jimroy 1st Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jimroy
    I change electricty/gas supplier regularily, however, this morning Equifax have dropped my credit score by 14 points purely as a result of an E.O.N hard search. This has never happened before. Is it now that everytime I change electric/gas suppliers my credit card score will take a drop? This has really made me think twice about changing supplier!
    Originally posted by Chip47
    You've posted on the wrong thread Chip47.

It's currently the one listed underneath this one:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4132951&page=4
    • Chip47
    • By Chip47 1st Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chip47
    Opps, too many windows open!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

3,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin