Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    • 572Posts
    • 347Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier GB Energy Supply
    • 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier GB Energy Supply 9th Feb 15 at 10:18 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 28
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 16th Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    sheff6107
    GB Energy Supply Ltd (No. 08500842) went into Administration on 28th November and therefore there should be a clear cut off point for customers as their contracts ceased with this company and they started new contracts with Co-operative Energy Ltd (No. 6993470) on 29th November.

For ease of continuation they have not made this distinction, which appears helpful for existing customers not in debit, but I understand customers that have switched away are being billed for energy under contract with GB Energy Supply Ltd by Co-operative Energy Ltd. Strictly speaking they need to supply a Notice of Debt Assignment to do this.

I also understand some customers are receiving bills which do not take into account credit balances and/or have not had credit balances returned to them. They would probably think it unwise to hand over money before receiving any money owed to them.

Strictly speaking if you owe money to a company in Administration you should not hand it over to a company claiming to have taken over without supplying any legal proof the debt has been assigned to them. Otherwise you could end up with the Adminstrators chasing you for money you have handed over to a separate limited company.

Ofgem's advice has been very wooly and opinion based (with an emphasis of 'everything's ok, don't worry) without any mention of the legalities of 160,000 being potential creditors to a company in Administration.
    • Snooze
    • By Snooze 17th Apr 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    Snooze
    I still have an online meter reading facility.

My billing cycle has changed from monthly to quarterly and the next is due at the end of April.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    I can still enter meter readings online as I did it this morning, My online account looks exactly the same as it did when it was GB, I'm also still on monthly billing so for me nothing has changed since the Co op have taken over.
    Originally posted by quietness
    That's odd how you guys have it and I don't. I only have the option to view old bills or contact them on their form. No area to input readings anymore. I wonder if it's because I cancelled the DD when they fell apart.
    • Grey Critic
    • By Grey Critic 20th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Grey Critic
    Email today informing me that they would be increasing my DD from £59 to £72.

I then had an interesting telephone conversation with them. Seems I have Electric on Crystal and Gas on Topaz. You can't do that for a dual fuel tariff - they have made the mistake.

I have rejected the increase in the DD as I am (a) In credit and we are moving into the lower usage period and (b) even if I accept their figures of my projected usage/cost over the next 12 months it still only comes out at £60 per month an increase of £1.00.
    • MarkYork
    • By MarkYork 20th Apr 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarkYork
    Outrageous increase in DD amount
    Despite being only £42.36 in debit after the winter period I have been informed that my monthly payments will increase from £49.00 to £87.00....!
    I called the customer support line and was told that the increased charge was to cover my anticipated use over the next 12 months. My fixed price tariff ends in August but they said that the figure was calculated assuming that I would move to their standard tariff in August and remain on it for the balance of the 12 month period. I said that this was ridiculous as I would be shopping around for a better deal when the fixed price deal ends.
    I was told that the increase was calculated automatically and that I was free to leave GB energy (now owned by Co-op Energy) at any time if I was unhappy.
    I asked to speak to a manager but was told that they would say exactly the same as that was how their systems worked.
    I am beyond gobsmacked that they would treat a customer in this way. I can only assume that they are trying to offload the unprofitable business they acquired from GB Energy.
    • Appletini
    • By Appletini 20th Apr 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Appletini
    MarkYork, this is how the vast majority (if not all) energy companies calculate their costs. Your personal projection is based on the remaining months of your tariff (so April to August) and then the remaining months on the SVR. It could be that your fixed direct debit was lowered at some point, and then because of the debit on the account after winter, plus the current personal projection being higher than your current fixed direct debit amount, your direct debit has had to be increased.
    • Grey Critic
    • By Grey Critic 21st Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Grey Critic
    I would suggest that the problem is due to the Co-op changing things round and trying to get more money in the coffers. Previously when it was GB Energy you would receive a monthly email asking for your meter reading. I am told that the new policy is not to do so. They are also stopping monthly billing. Actually not sure if they can do this as it is a change to the terms and conditions when we signed up. There are also problems with their computer data and forecasts. My latest bill says I used 43kwh gas against 2kwh in the same period last year. Total fiction which they admit, they also said that the forecast figures are wrong.

One suggestion for anyone who finds themselves with a debit balance is to make a one off payment bringing the account to zero or a slight credit.
    I have said I will not authorise an increase in my DD as I am in credit and will review it when the fixed deal ends when I think I will be moving elsewhere. Methinks come August when the fixed deals expire they will lose a lot of customers.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 21st Apr 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Received a letter from GB energy today informing me my DD was increasing from £29 to £37 from next month. I'm £75 in credit, have solar panels (although they don't know that) so why increase it by nearly 30%?
    Anyway I called them and they have agreed to keep the DD at £29.
    Don't think I'll be staying after August when my fix finishes
    • MCGONIS
    • By MCGONIS 21st Apr 17, 8:17 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    MCGONIS
    Received a letter from GB energy today informing me my DD was increasing from £29 to £37 from next month. I'm £75 in credit, have solar panels (although they don't know that) so why increase it by nearly 30%?
    Anyway I called them and they have agreed to keep the DD at £29.
    Don't think I'll be staying after August when my fix finishes
    Originally posted by hollie.weimeraner
    I have today got an email saying payments are changing from £28 to £38. I am £15 in debit. Based on what happened to you, I have contacted them and said I agree only to £4 of an increase and not £10. My contract ends mid October and will probs move then to cheapest supplier. Thanks for sharing and will post back if things change.
    • Pickle Lily
    • By Pickle Lily 24th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pickle Lily
    Same here... informed of an increase from £45 to £57 per month despite being £60 in credit after winter and them forgetting to bill me in January. They also increased my annual estimated gas consumption by 65%. They blamed the tariff ending in August (fair enough) when I called them, but were not able to address the increase in estimated gas consumption without me providing additional meter readings (I'm at work so couldn't do that). I asked them to just review the data they had as I've been a customer for over a year so there's enough information. Apparently they couldn't so I've already switched to another provider.

I recommend everybody check the deals they're on as mine (Crystal Fixed) doesn't have any early exit fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

3,968Users online

Martin's Twitter