Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    • 489Posts
    • 278Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Add your feedback on energy supplier GB Energy Supply
    • 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier GB Energy Supply 9th Feb 15 at 10:18 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 21
    • horatiog
    • By horatiog 5th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    horatiog
    Cautionary Tale
    Hi,

I'm in the process of switching my mother (for whom I'm a PoA), to a new electricity supplier. I am going to switch her to GB Energy and the actual sign-up process with them has not been TOO bad.

However, the lead-up to this point has been a nightmare.

My mother is currently with Eon under the MSE Collective Sept 2015 tariff.

They started informing me that the tariff was about to expire on 11th October about a month ago - So far so good. However, I was hoping to swap with the MSE Collective again, so decided to postpone the swap until the new round of collective swap opened at the end of September - Mistake!

Once the new Collective Swap opened, I immediately found out that there were no decent deals for "Electricity Only" customers. Most of the folk in the North of Scotland have no option to be anything but "Electricity Only" customers as there is NO mains gas supply!

So, I immediately set about trying to swap my mother to another tariff using the main cheapenergyclub website and other price comparison websites. And I found out that my best swap was to going to be to another of Eon's tariffs the "Saver Plus Fixed 1 Year v2 Online". After a huge amount of mucking about by Eon (which included them "losing" my previously registered mother's PoA, then insisting we re-submit it by POST, and get my mother to verbally authorise our use of the PoA!!!!), we found out that Eon were not prepared to offer my mother this tariff. Apparently that tariff was only open to "new" customers, a process which I believed that OFGEM had prohibited since 2012. I challenged this and it took another week to escalate this all the way up to their CEO; whereupon it turned out that they had been allowed to start this "bait & switch" scam again, brought back in along with the 2015 legislation intended to restrict and simplify their tariffs.

Eon's "next best offering" for their existing customers was extortionate, meaning that my mother's annual bill would rise by 42%; something that, as a 91 year old pensioner, she can ill afford. So I looked into what tariffs other suppliers were offering. At this point I should note that my mother was in receipt of a Warm Front Discount from EOn, worth £140 annually. Naively (I guess), I assumed that, since this was a Government backed scheme, the eligibility criteria would be consistent across all suppliers. Therefore I chose the "Online Fixed Price Energy Sept 2017 v2" tariff from Scottish Power, and started the application process. However, after several rounds of discussion with SP (much complicated by the fact that I had to again register my PoA with them to discuss the application that I myself had carried out!), it turns out my mother was NOT eligible for the Warm Front Discount with Scottish Power. Further investigation reveals that beyond a "core group" of pensioners on Guaranteed Pension Credit, the suppliers can make up their own rules about who can receive this rebate! Although my mother receives a 100% Council Tax rebate due to her dementia, and is actually falls in the official definition of being in Fuel Poverty, her widows pensions take her just over the cut-off maximum annual income to qualify with SP. So the loss of the £140 rebate immediately meant that SP were, by far, not the cheapest option for my mother.

So I have now had to cancel the SP swap. And re-apply to transfer my mother to GB Energy. I had some issues here as well. Tried to do this online last night. But it let me get right through the process before informing there was a "problem" and I would have to phone them the following morning. When I phoned, of course, they wouldn't talk to me until I had submitted the PoA. At least they would allow me to do this by email and that only took around 30 mins - kudos for that. However, once we worked right through the application, I was then told that the transfer process would take 5 weeks!!!! Two of these weeks were a "cooling-off" period which doesn't even run con-concurrently with the transfer process and, apparently, which we cannot opt out of.

So my mother is now going to be subjected to 4 weeks of EOn's most expensive "default" tariff until she can be transferred to GB Energy, and even then, she is going to be subjected to an overall 35% increase in energy bill in the coming year. (Last Year: £715 - £140 rebate = £575. This Year (Assuming same consumption): £780 - £0 )

So, it appears to me that all this work that the Government has carried out to make the transfer between energy suppliers easier, more fair and more transparent, has been so twisted and turned by the suppliers, that most of the measures actually seem to have been by-passed or used against the consumer in the end!

Lessons learned?: Don't wait for a potential better tariff coming down the line - there's a good chance you will be disappointed. You need to start the transfer process as soon as your penalty period ceases, because transfer can take up to 5 weeks!
    • muddlemand
    • By muddlemand 5th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    muddlemand
    A glitch with GB Energy: I had a start date of 25th September, but on Monday I found out from my bank statement that my direct debit payment had still gone out to my previous supplier, even though the new d/d to GB Energy had also gone out.

GB Energy's customer service was great: immediately recognised the problem as a "head office mistake" which many customers have experienced, and gave me a new start date three days away (= tomorrow). She, personally, is going to phone me whether or not it works as expected, but gave me the option of a phone call only if it hadn't with "no news is good news" if she didn't call.

And as soon as I muttered something about being on my old supplier's variable (= much more expensive) tariff in the interim, she immediately said that as soon as I get my final bill from the old supplier and show it to GB Energy, they'll refund whatever I'd paid to the old supplier between the start date I was told, 25th Sept, and the start date that actually happens, ie tomorrow if nothing goes wrong.

For me, decent customer service rights all wrongs. Everyone makes mistakes and I believe GB Energy are a new company? Sooner or later errors are going to happen, but this one is costing them because of refunding, and I didn't have to argue or battle at all to be treated fairly. If you're in business you need to budget for putting mistakes right... or at least take them on the chin, and it seems that they are doing so.

Obviously I won't be completely trusting until I see it work perfectly tomorrow and thereafter see all the billing and supply etc continue to work as it ought.
    • randm
    • By randm 6th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    randm
    have moved from gb energy , in the process they decided to close my account so i couldn't access it but kept sending me emails to send in my latest meter readings, which i ended up having to do by phone. also meant i couldn't see my energy usage for the year or any of my bills. i phoned and they said they would send a pdf of my final bill. which they did. i was in credit £127 and they said this would be sent across with that final bill. couple of weeks later still no refund, sent them a message via the website, no reply after 10 days so rang them today. after going through whether i had any dirty bills or negative energy( what they are i have no idea), he finally agreed that i was owed £127 and that it would be sent to my bank account.
    within 15 days.
    they are very nice people to talk to but you would think that after all this time they are no longer a new company and should not be making silly mistakes.
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 6th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    shavy65
    Thanks to all the posts on here. Been considering moving to them for a while now, deciding not to bother. Prefer to pay a little extra to remain stress/hassle free where I am
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 8,843 Posts
    • 3,576 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    I am stress hassle free with GB Energy .
    If you read the forum you will find someone complaining about every company .Certainly a few bad reviews never put me off as those that want to moan will find every thread on the internet where those that are happy do not bother posting .
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 6th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    shavy65
    I 100% agree with you there.
    But I`m happy where I`m at and don`t feel that the negligible amount I`d save justifies changing.
    Each to their own though
    • GBES
    • By GBES 7th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GBES
    Thank you for your post. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you have faced on behalf of arranging a cheaper tariff for you mother. Please give our contact centre a call 0800 6444 451 at GB Energy and ask to speak to a Team Manager who can assist and answer any questions in regard to the transfer.

We look forward to hearing from you

GB Energy Supply Ltd.
    • Lodesman
    • By Lodesman 12th Oct 16, 9:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lodesman
    We changed from EDF to GB Energy in Feb 16 for both gas and electricity, taking a leap of faith and deciding to try one of the smallest suppliers with the cheapest tariffs.

The changeover was seamless and, yes, they do take the first months Direct Debit in advance. I knew this and, as I'm going to spend a year with them, I did not worry about this.

Their web page works well, is not too flashy, but gives the essential information you need. They ask you to supply readings each month and bill monthly by e-mail. There is no compulsion to supply readings and, if you don't supply the readings, then the bill is estimated.

I did call them on the phone while changing over and the phone was answered quickly and my query resolved.

The important matter of tariffs is that EDF wanted £190/month for this year and GB Energy estimated my usage at £140/month. Now 8 months later in October 2016, I have a credit balance of about £250 all ready as a buffer for higher usage over the winter. The savings over EDF are substantial and I have no complaints at all. My bills appear by e-mail every month and are easy to read. The web site also carries all my previous bills so comparison one month to the last is easy.

I was originally on their variable tariff but moved to their 12 month fixed tariff when it was introduced. We'll see how things turn out at the end of a year with GB Energy but it does look reasonable on the financial front. So far I am a satisfied customer.
    Last edited by Lodesman; 12-10-2016 at 9:12 AM. Reason: Additional information
    • Whiston3
    • By Whiston3 13th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whiston3
    Another nightmare!
    Can I start by saying the minimum I expect from an energy company is that they supply my energy. They transferred my gas supply but not my electric. This I found out by accident as my old supplier sent an email making me aware that they still supplied my electricity at their standard tariff.

Here I am, over a month later, still with my old supplier for electricity. Three phone calls to GB energy and no further forward. Not once during this have they been in touch by phone, email or text,not in any way. I am the one spending time and energy trying to find out what is going on.

I was told I could complain via their website and spent over half an hour filling out my complaint in detail and then hitting submit.
    What I had written then disappeared leaving me with no record of my complaint and giving no confirmation they had received said complaint. Do not use their website to communicate with them as it doesn't work. They say they have no record of my complaint.

Cheap rates sound great but not if you spend all your time trying to sort out GB Energy's appalling switch experience.

Think I would be quicker getting a bike with a dynamo to supply my own electricity!
    • Whiston3
    • By Whiston3 13th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whiston3
    Although I agree that happy customers tend not to post their good experiences. Your implication that people that have terrible experiences are just moaners suggests you have never been on the receiving end of big companies failing their customers in mind blowing ways
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 13th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    bigbill
    Just got an email today to say my prices on premium energy saver are increasing from 13th Nov.

Annoyed at standing charge increase as it's more than doubled with usage going up by 25%+ so good by to GB energy from me.
    • Snooze
    • By Snooze 13th Oct 16, 7:39 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    Snooze
    Just got an email today to say my prices on premium energy saver are increasing from 13th Nov.

Annoyed at standing charge increase as it's more than doubled with usage going up by 25%+ so good by to GB energy from me.
    Originally posted by bigbill
    Same here. Monumental price increase for me and enough for me to be revisiting the comparison sites to switch.

"Because wholesale prices have increased, from 13 Nov 2016, the price you pay for your electricity is increasing
    from 10.24p per kWh to 13.59p per kWh. The price you pay for gas is increasing from 2.84p per kWh to 3.52p per
    kWh. Your electricity standing charge has increased from 12.37p per day to 24.28p per day and your gas
    standing charge has increased from 9.10p per day to 15.33p per day."

That's taking the ******* p*ss imho !
    Last edited by Snooze; 13-10-2016 at 7:42 PM.
    • bohica
    • By bohica 14th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bohica
    Same here. Monumental price increase for me and enough for me to be revisiting the comparison sites to switch.

"Because wholesale prices have increased, from 13 Nov 2016, the price you pay for your electricity is increasing
    from 10.24p per kWh to 13.59p per kWh. The price you pay for gas is increasing from 2.84p per kWh to 3.52p per
    kWh. Your electricity standing charge has increased from 12.37p per day to 24.28p per day and your gas
    standing charge has increased from 9.10p per day to 15.33p per day."

That's taking the ******* p*ss imho !
    Originally posted by Snooze
    Same here. Fortunately I started a switch to the BG collective switch a few weeks ago and it will have gone through by November.

My estimated cost after the price hike was £1283 to a whopping £1696.

I was initially very pleased with GB Energy. The switch I did a little over a year ago was painless and the prices were good. Heck, they even reduced the price shortly after I switched. However, the July price change was a warning and I'm glad I paid attention now. Now all I have to hope is that they send me my credit without a lot of hassle.

Good bye GB Energy.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 8,843 Posts
    • 3,576 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Did you guys not have fixed tariffs available ??
    • bohica
    • By bohica 14th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    bohica
    Did you guys not have fixed tariffs available ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Nope. I prefer to just follow the best price. I'm prepared to take the risk.
    • mandm65
    • By mandm65 14th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    mandm65

Originally posted by bigbill
    +1

I guess we all need to find best alternative, could agree more GB was good while it lasted
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 14th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    Second price increase in just a few months, this time it's a 36% price increase on my standing charge alone. In total an extra £178 per year on my energy bills. I'm switching, but it's not because of bad service, just that I can get cheaper elsewhere. Risks of a variable tariff I suppose.

I've found GB energy to be an ok supplier so far. Fairly seamless, though slow transition from BG, and I find that having to take the meter readings on the same day each month a bit awkward - but that could just be my own laziness.
    In 10 months I've had to contact them twice - once when the page used to enter meter readings wouldn't accept the numbers for my first reading, and again a couple of weeks ago as I was getting four sets of bills. They said this was something about it failing to generate bills due to late meter readings or something.
    • sweenytodd
    • By sweenytodd 16th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sweenytodd
    warning!!!
    I did comment on gb energy many months ago,,,,,,,,,,,
    people need to do a company search on the guy who pulls the strings....

(Text
    removed
    by
    MsEForumTeam)

mmmmmm,,,,,
    don`t think I`d be handing over my bank details !
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 17-10-2016 at 2:01 PM. Reason: Personal details
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 17th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,400 Thanks
    matelodave
    Why is everyone whinging? Fixed tariffs were and are available but if you went for a variable tariff then you gambled whether the price would go down or up.

This time you lost so I'm not sure what all the whinging is about.

!!! there aren't any exit fee's it's not a big deal, you can go somewhere else.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 2,494 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    Hengus
    My guess is that there is a waiting game being played here. GBEnergy is playing the same game that E.oN has been playing for the past few months. That is, set a fixed tariff considerably higher than that of the competition and wait see how the market settles before coming in with a slightly below average tariff.

What is clear is that electricity prices are on the increase - partly because of the £/$ relationship but also because of increased costs to maintain peak supply. Exit fees have become less of annoyance as the rate of switching before contract end will decrease. ( The reverse is true in a falling market).

I could of course be totally wrong and my £75 credit might be at risk.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,103Posts Today

7,467Users online

Martin's Twitter