Cheap ways to learn a new language

Around the start of every new year many of us resolve to learn a new language in time for our summer holidays. We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on the best ways to become multilingual on the cheap. Have you found great websites or other resources that have had you conversing with locals in no time?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• A local library is a good place to get language CDs. I found Michel Thomas' ones really helpful, and they'd set you back a lot of money if you bought them.
  • It's both an online resource (duolingo dot com) and an app available for iOS, Android and WP).
    You learn sounds, written, listening, and best of all it's free!!
  • As previously mentioned Duolingo if wanting to learn a language but also Google Translate offline is extremely useful for on-the-fly translations both from English and into English.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 February 2015 at 10:35AM
    Second hand eBay.

Or, you are British, why bother? Everyone can speak English really, they are just pretending not to, especially the French.
  • I leant spanish in school but recently wanted to refresh myself! I found listening to free podcastst to be really effective. The radio lingua 'coffee break' podcasts are excellent and there's a choice of several languages!
  • I really recommend memrise.com. It uses speech and images to help you learn languages, and other subjects too. It's fun and much of it is free! Love it.
  • whites7 wrote: »
    It's both an online resource (duolingo dot com) and an app available for iOS, Android and WP).
    You learn sounds, written, listening, and best of all it's free!!

Agree about Duolingo. Granted it doesn't always have the best grammar or the most logical phrases, but it's great for learning things like sentence construction.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • GrillMonkey
    GrillMonkey Posts: 88 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2015 at 5:21PM
    I think I used the most expensive way of learning a language by marrying a foreign girl :D It was only after that I decided to learn the language.

Anki flashcards (http://ankisrs.net/) is a free spaced recognition flashcard software which you can sync between your PC and phone. Especially useful as the language I was/am learning is not a popular one for language learners so pre-made flash cards were hard to find!

BYKI (http://www.byki.com/) does a free version of pre filled spaced recognition, although I got the paid version.

Nothing beats having a native speaker to talk to or write to so try to can get hold of a native speaker to skype or penpal with. There are forums out there where people who speak your target language and want to learn your native language.

Finally, I found this page (http://fluent-forever.com/the-method/vocabulary/base-vocabulary-list/#.VNt_c_msWPN) very useful. It's the top 1000 english words. I translated them to my target language and loaded them on to Anki to learn.

Once you get better at your target language you can stream TV and radio over the internet.
  • Take a look at 'FutureLearn', my wife and I are starting a 3 weeks Introduction to Dutch on 2 March and there are many other types of courses available for free.
  • I agree with the above, infact a combination is good. Library, Duolingo, Conversation Exchange all free. Also look out for Meetup groups in your target language and try advertising locally for people who would like to meet up to do conversation exchange. Also check the usual providers for second hand language courses, easy readers etc. Lots of websites offer free resources such as About which give word for the day etc, online Italian Club offers grammar exercises every day and I'm sure there are others in other languages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure