Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Mrs.W
    • By Mrs.W 4th Feb 15, 12:37 AM
    • 568Posts
    • 1,307Thanks
    Menstrual Money Saving
    • 4th Feb 15, 12:37 AM
    Menstrual Money Saving 4th Feb 15 at 12:37 AM
    I was not at all sure where to post this, but a board where men least click is probably the best place.

Four months ago I discovered menstrual cups. They are rounded cone-shaped cups made of silicone rubber. They sit in the vagina and capture menstrual elimination.

(edit: ) They are a rather new alternative to tampons and/or panty liners.

They are touted to give up to twelve hours protection. I never use them for more than five hours before washing under cold water, cleansing with a surgical spirit wipe, and giving another rinse under the tap. (The surgical spirit wipe is not advised as necessary between insertions.)

They are easy to store - in a small cloth bag - between bleeds. And because I am a hygiene freak, I clean my MC's in boiling water before using again.

Silicone is naturally resistant to bacteria, so I feel safe in using this form of menstrual protection, especially with my own precautions.

I have read many of the papers published for and against MC's, and it seems, to me, that they are a safe and money saving form of protection during menstruation.

Four months in, and, even given the price of the MC, I am already saving money against using tampons and panty liners.

Just wanted to share this money saving idea. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea (I swear that is not a pun!) but thought it worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Mrs.W; 04-02-2015 at 1:46 AM.
Page 3
    • FrugalWorker
    • By FrugalWorker 24th Jul 15, 11:37 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    +1 for the moon cup.

I bought one, and kept it for months before trying - just the yuck factor. Once I got used to it, I wouldn't give it up. First time I used it I left the stalk too long, man that hurt.

I've had to use tampons 1-2 times since, I've been away and didn't have it with me...I find I get cramps, etc... which I don't have with the MC. It's more environmentally friendly, cheaper, more comfortable, no smells, I feel fresher, no cramps - I'll never go back.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 25th Jul 15, 12:13 AM
    • 25,801 Posts
    • 88,519 Thanks
    I do have a mooncup, which worked really well for me. However, for the last 6 years I've been on the progesterone-only pill which has virtually eliminated my periods and so my cup is now languishing in the bathroom cupboard.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I've been on the Depo injection, and haven't had a period since 2008. Can't imagine going back to them .

Appreciate its not an option for women who might want to get pregnant within a year or so, but the freedom is incredible. MSE too because its obviously completely free!
    • MoonJelly
    • By MoonJelly 24th Aug 15, 11:17 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,919 Thanks
    I tried using a Mooncup but the thing seemed altogether too large for me -it wouldn't go in. I tried folding it and I ended up scratching myself (not want to get too graphic). In the end I made some cloth pads (and party liners) and I'm pretty happy with them.
    .................................................. ............................
    NW: £5014.49/£4000
    BC: £4308
    Loan: Co-op: £3777.23 / £3387.23
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • jennyhunt83
    I'd like to give this a try, is there much difference between different brands that make these? Would anyone recommend one over another?
    • juno
    • By juno 26th Aug 15, 10:02 PM
    • 6,364 Posts
    • 9,020 Thanks
    I'd like to give this a try, is there much difference between different brands that make these? Would anyone recommend one over another?
    Originally posted by jennyhunt83
    The brands are more about different sizes - they all call them "small" or "large" but this varies between brands. They have different diameters and lengths, which then does lead to different capacities. If you have a heavy flow you might be tempted to get a larger cup but it might not fit you more.

I think the most important thing is to figure out where your cervix is. This might seem a bit icky, but the whole subject can seem like that! Your cervix will feel like a lumpy bit at the top of your vagina - some people can't touch theirs as it's quite high up, and others reach it easily. Both are normal, it's just different. I have a low cervix so needed a shorter cup and found that the MoonCup was too long for me. I loved the old style MeLuna, but they have changed it since and the new one isn't as good. I now use a Lady Cup.

Cups also differ in firmness. A stiffer cup is supposed to be better if you have strong muscles but I have no idea how you'd test that. A firm cup is also better for doing sports.
    Sealed pot challenge #377
    Target £125 - 2009 total £117.57
    2010 total £151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 26th Aug 15, 10:22 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    I have a mooncup. I love it, when I have periods, which coz of my pill isn't often. Have to say being on the minipill cerazette is defintiely the cheapest form of menstrual moneysaving! No periods at all!
    • Newme2014
    • By Newme2014 10th Sep 15, 10:55 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    I got mine today, one problem I'm having, and apologies if this is tmi but once it's in I can't seem to rotate it, I just can't get my thumb and finger around the base without scratching myself, Even though I keep my nails quite short. I'm guessing it was sat right today as I had no leakage but I'm wondering if you veteran users have any tips
    Mortgage started 02/2015 opening balance -£183,349
    Due to end 02/2045
    Current balance 14/12/15 -£178,000
    MFW #48 £2395.25/£5000
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 16th Sep 15, 4:31 PM
    • 12,046 Posts
    • 22,466 Thanks
    I tried using a Mooncup but the thing seemed altogether too large for me -it wouldn't go in. I tried folding it and I ended up scratching myself (not want to get too graphic). In the end I made some cloth pads (and party liners) and I'm pretty happy with them.
    Originally posted by MoonJelly
    There are two different sizes I think. And you're also meant to cut the stem off.
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 24th Sep 15, 4:20 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    How much flow do you have? and leakage advice?
    I use a femmecup and I love it, definitely the best buy ever.

I was unsure about the sizes of the mooncup as to which one would be best for me so that was my reason for opting for the femmecup.

I have no problems with the stem or anything like that, I haven't needed to cut it and I don't feel it at all.

I do seem to have heavy periods but I wondered what amount people lose per cycle? I lose about 75mls on day 1, 40mls on day 2 and another 40mls on day 3 before it slows down to 5-10mls per day following that.

The only thing I have noticed is that at night or when I'm in the lying position on my first 3 heavy days that I leak quite bad. I have to wear extra protection (home made pads) and i literally dash to the toilet as soon as I stand up otherwise a lot comes out. I've also noticed some leakage when I am sitting. When I empty it after leakage, the cup can be anything between 1/4 full (if I've been lying down for a short time) to full.

Is this usual with all cups? I've read that different positions can sometimes cause the muscles to squash the cup etc and result in leakage but I wondered if anyone had any advice as to if they have had a similar problem with heavy flow and changed cups and noticed a difference?

Overall though I'd still definitely recommend cups and I wouldn't go back.
    • Kitty777
    • By Kitty777 24th Sep 15, 4:41 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    I have been considering these for a while now, but it has just been quite daunting. Tampons are very uncomfortable for me, and whenever I have used them I have always 'felt' them...and I am aware they are there. Is this the case with the mooncup? I use pads right now as they feel more safe and secure without the discomfort that tampons bring.
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 24th Sep 15, 5:35 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Hi Kitty777,

I can't speak for the mooncup but I use a femmecup and I don't feel it at all when it's in the right place. I didn't need to cut my stem either, as some have suggested to do, but as others have said it depends on where the cervix sits and everyone is different.

Having been a previous tampon user, I never felt tampons either when they were in.

Can I suggest to try to push the tampon higher than you are doing, as you shouldn't feel them once in place. From experience the only times I felt them inside were if they weren't pushed high enough.

Also remember to use the right tampon size according to flow as if you use one that is too large for your flow it can dry you out down there and that may prevent you from being able to push it up higher (if you understand what I mean).

Obviously I would definitely recommend menstrual cups even though they can take a bit of getting used to in the beginning, but I love mine and wouldn't go back.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 25th Sep 15, 11:03 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    I bought my first femmecup last month and ended up using it at the start of a holiday - transatlantic flight and everything. It worked like a dream - almost forgot it was in, much more comfortable than tampons.

It was a bit strange putting it in and taking it out (you definitely want a private bathroom for this!), but having got over the first one Ok, I'm less worried about continuing to use it. I'd definitely recommend it others.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 27th Apr 16, 11:48 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    A menstrual cup is a step too far for me (never got on with tampons) - but I have started using cloth pads. I will not go back to disposables.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 28th Apr 16, 7:56 AM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 6,373 Thanks
    I got the Jaydess coil last year. After a couple of months, my period dwindled to barely anything. I now spot for, at most, half a day each month and feel barely any pain at all.

Well worth trying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,883Users online

Martin's Twitter