Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • armyknife
    • By armyknife 28th Jan 15, 2:55 PM
    • 592Posts
    • 2,502Thanks
    armyknife
    Aren't Bicycles Great.
    • 28th Jan 15, 2:55 PM
    Aren't Bicycles Great. 28th Jan 15 at 2:55 PM
    Aren't bicycles great, a simple machine that let's people get places in a low cost, low impact way. Can even be maintained by people with limited mechanical skills like me.

So what are you cycle transport plans for 2015?

I'm planning on doing more long distance travel with mine and more trips by train with the folder.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by armyknife; 08-11-2015 at 1:14 AM. Reason: spelling mistake in thread title!
Page 25
    • brat
    • By brat 21st Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    Can't say I've noticed. I see a few spotters up near Shap, but I'm not out on the Mallerstang Rd often enough to have experienced the enthusiastic spotters! I've only cycled it once, and the only other times I've been on it is on refresher driver training.

I recall a progressive drive along that road in the mid 90s in an unmarked Cavalier 130 being tailgated by a lad in a tatty old Metro. He was obviously local but was desperate to keep up with us, even on the odd occasion on that road where you can get up to 70 to 80 mph! We stopped him and advised him to slow down, but it was more because he was embarrassing me by his ability to drive the road quickly in a crappy little car. 😀
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 22nd Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    This is what got me into cycling:

And I'm still at it . I love my bikes.
    all your base are belong to us
    • armyknife
    • By armyknife 23rd Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    armyknife
    It goes without saying that bicycles are great, but they save money too; there's a modest local bus journey that I've replaced by cycling and each return trip saves me £8.50 and I get a free bike ride into the bargain. :-)
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 23rd Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    My Mum has had a shot of an ebike for the last month as part of a scheme to encourage cycling, the only condition is that she had to log all her miles she would have done in the car. It's the first time running the scheme so there's been issues with it and the bike was a lot later than it was meant to and the timing hasn't been great but my Mum has put a lot of effort into it and used it for most of her short journeys.

Rather than go a run in the car into the countryside we've been going for runs on the bike, this ebike isn't as fast as the one she had last year which makes it a little easier on me but it's great being able to choose any router and not worry about how much climbing there is.

The bike goes back tomorrow and I'm pleased my Mum is wanting to buy one herself so been spending the last few hours to see if there's any 2016 bargains although I'm not seeing much so will possibly just wait until Spring.

John
    • armyknife
    • By armyknife 5th Nov 16, 10:55 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    armyknife
    My Mum has had a shot of an ebike for the last month as part of a scheme to encourage cycling, the only condition is that she had to log all her miles she would have done in the car. It's the first time running the scheme so there's been issues with it and the bike was a lot later than it was meant to and the timing hasn't been great but my Mum has put a lot of effort into it and used it for most of her short journeys.

Rather than go a run in the car into the countryside we've been going for runs on the bike, this ebike isn't as fast as the one she had last year which makes it a little easier on me but it's great being able to choose any router and not worry about how much climbing there is.

The bike goes back tomorrow and I'm pleased my Mum is wanting to buy one herself so been spending the last few hours to see if there's any 2016 bargains although I'm not seeing much so will possibly just wait until Spring.

John
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    Sounds like a very elegant solution, John.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 5th Nov 16, 11:58 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    The good news is that there's an ebike on the way - dispatched yesterday so hopefully here on Monday or Tuesday. I'd failed to find a cheap bike after much hunting and asking on the pedelecs forum so gave up but while half asleep after a call out to work in the middle of the night randomly managed to find the exact model she'd hired for £500 off.

She's been ordering her various accessories for it although the weather at the moment isn't looking great.

After the fatbike gathering dust over the summer in favour of the plus bike, this week it was wet and cold and time for it to come back out. Unfortunately this week Trek recalled it due to an issue where the fork can break so it's back with the bike shop as I'm not risking riding that. On the plus side Trek are offering £80 credit so looks like it will be getting a new rear tyre.

John
    • brat
    • By brat 6th Nov 16, 10:21 AM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    This is what got me into cycling:

And I'm still at it . I love my bikes.
    Originally posted by Lord Baltimore
    I too was a huge fan of the Q bikes when they arrived in the Beano mid sixties. Our gang named ourselves C1 to C5 after the name of the school grounds we cycled round back then.

We were K1 to K6 in the summer holidays when we holidayed on Cumbrae each year with friends we met up with there. K stood for Kames Bay which was where we would meet each morning for our ride round the island.

Great Times!
    Last edited by brat; 06-11-2016 at 7:01 PM.
    • brat
    • By brat 30th Jan 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    For the last three months I've spent much more time on the turbo than out on the road. I've ridden over 2000 miles on the turbo in the last three months which I would never have done on the road over winter.

Has anyone else taken to the garage or spare room and converted it into a mini gym with their turbo trainer, fan and associated paraphernalia?

It's not like the outdoors, but with software like Zwift to challenge you, it's damn close...

Ain't bikes great!

• Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 31st Jan 17, 1:47 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Road cycling is unpleasant in poor weather but I don't have an indoor setup as quite happy to get out on the mountain bike which is much more bearable. You're not going so fast into the cold air and generally pedalling harder for the lower speed plus the routes are often a lot more sheltered. I had a superb ride out in the snow the other week starting off belting along the snowy roads while cars were struggling and up into the snowy hills and gliding along the untouched snow under a bright moon. Annoyingly I remembered a camera but left the SD card in my PC

I saw a post which in response to a lot of the negativity of 2016 suggested putting together positive moments of 2016 so no surprise most of mine were cycling:

http://imgur.com/gallery/mO0n5

I've been looking races or events to do this year although nothing catching my eye so far, I'm in an odd position as last year I finished all the challenges I'd set myself several of which I never thought I'd do. I certainly wouldn't have thought I'd have done any of those things a few years ago but it's surprising how you can just build it up bit by bit.

I am looking forward to getting out cycles with my Mum on her ebike as that went well last year on the hire bike even when the weather wasn't great. I've also bought a little Mavic drone which should be entirely feasible to take with me on the bike and get some views of the pretty scenery.

John
    Last edited by Johnmcl7; 31-01-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 31st Jan 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    For the last three months I've spent much more time on the turbo than out on the road. I've ridden over 2000 miles on the turbo in the last three months which I would never have done on the road over winter.

Has anyone else taken to the garage or spare room and converted it into a mini gym with their turbo trainer, fan and associated paraphernalia?

It's not like the outdoors, but with software like Zwift to challenge you, it's damn close...

Ain't bikes great!
    Originally posted by brat
    I stick my turbo, mat, fan in the spare room and watch stuff on the computer, found the tablet volume isn't loud enough to hear clearly.

I tend to do about 20 miles in one go for an hour but I'll try and get out as it's just a pain to heft the bike upstairs and change the wheel and then put it back so I can commute on it as I don't use my main carbon bike on there and the CX gears aren't as good a setup as the commuter one (46/36 vs 50/39/30 - both 11-28)
    • brat
    • By brat 31st Jan 17, 5:17 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    I'm hoping to get a more permanent set up than I have now. I'm currently having to move the dining table out of the way to allow me to move the bike in through the patio door. The TT sits under the table ready to be used. It's direct drive so it's easy to haul the back wheel off and stick it on the cassette, but setting up and tidying up does take at least 20 minutes each time so I'm hoping to minimise that soon, when I get part of my garage converted into the "man cave".

Since using the turbo I've been looking a lot more at stats, although I'm not sure if that's just through geeky interest in data or a desire to improve. I hit 60 in June anyway so any notion of improvement may just be a forlorn hope.

I started looking at my Functional Threshold Power FTP figure which is the highest wattage you can maintain for an hour. What the software does is to ask you to pedal full pelt for 20 minutes (after a warm up) then it takes an average power reading over the 20 minutes and multiplies it by 0.95 to give a figure for an hour.

That power reading doesn't reflect your weight, so the figure used for comparison is the Power/Weight ratio or Watts/Kg. Because I'm light (60kg) my power/weight ratio seems to be relatively high, which is good on Zwift, because it keeps me up with the pack leaders if I wanted to compete in the races.

The other thing I noticed is that my heart rate can be quite different over the same session on two different days. If I've had a good sleep, my heart rate for a session can be 5 to 8 bpm lower for the same session than if I did it after a poor sleep off a nightshift (like today). I also notice the heart rate fluctuates downwards if I lower my body towards the bars, and it rises if I sit more upright, which is presumably because the heart has to work harder to pump blood higher.

But I do think I'm going soft. Some of my mates have done 40 miles in the wind and rain this afternoon, while I sweated away to Zwift (and Emilia Fox on Silent Witness).
    I'm starting to wonder if I'll only get out when the sun's beating down .
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 31st Jan 17, 9:49 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    The constant rain this week is really annoying on the commute, having to try and dry off the bike at home before storage etc. Roll on some dry weeks
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 1st Feb 17, 6:04 AM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,192 Thanks
    Richard53
    (and Emilia Fox on Silent Witness).
    Originally posted by brat
    That's a serious distraction.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • By 1886 5th Feb 17, 2:01 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    I've been a cyclist for approaching twenty five years and I love it. I used to race mountain bikes when I was in my mid teens.

I currently have three bikes, a road bike that I've just been out on for a quick 18 mile on Warwickshire's finest country lanes and two mountain bikes. One big travel and the other a carbon XC bike

I've ridden the London - Brighton three times for the BHF along with 25,000+ other riders which was amazing and been all over England, Wales, Scotland and went to The Alps downhilling in 2013.

One of the lads at work has just bought an electric bike. He's not a cyclist and cycles fourteen miles a day come rain or shine. He let me have a go and WOW, how cool are they! It will top out at 25mph. I've thought about one for my wife but I doubt we'll get one, I would'nt be able to keep up lol
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 12th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    It was really still and bright here last night so decided to head out on the road bike, I had a good tail wind so was dreading the return trip but just as easy on the way back. Well except from the cold which was particularly chilly when pushing into it at speed

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Mar 17, 6:54 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 6,754 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Nice pictures John.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 26th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    This topic was way too far down! The conditions have been superb here recently with bone dry trails that are riding really well with tons of grip. I didn't initially like my 29+ hardtail (sort of halfway between a normal bike and a fat bike) as it didn't have the float of the fat bike and just felt like a normal 29er. However fitting a dropper post has made a big difference and I've really got the feel of the bike taking advantage of the crazy grip and the agility. I've almost never had a top ten strava but this year I had one ride where I had five top ten finishes setting PR's that have beaten my full suspension and fat bikes.

Riding out to Loch Ness:

Visiting a nearby trail centre, kept going round until my legs were killing me and it was getting too dark:

I went looking for some new riding and headed to a trail centre further north which is a massive straight climb and then pretty much straight down. The top section is a proper black and very rocky which I wasn't too keen on but the lower red section is a lot of fun, very fast and nothing too bad to slow down for:

My mum has also been getting on well with her ebike and quickly got into using it regularly, there was a tea room I wanted to cycle out to but it would be really pushing the limits of the battery and probably a bit long for my Mum. I then had the blatantly obvious idea to chuck the bikes in the car, get a bit closer and head off from there which was still a good ride and as always, great for my hill climb times with a PR on each uphill section trying to keep up with the ebike:

• Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 14th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    Nice, is that an electric bike in the foreground of that last photo?

Electric bikes are a great affordable option now, making commuting even more possible since you can travel further before running out of puff! I think most allow you to pedal, and assist with electric power to make it easier up hills etc.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 14th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Nice, is that an electric bike in the foreground of that last photo?

Electric bikes are a great affordable option now, making commuting even more possible since you can travel further before running out of puff! I think most allow you to pedal, and assist with electric power to make it easier up hills etc.
    Originally posted by Patrick Stewart
    Yep, that's my Mum's ebike which she's very pleased with. I think there are some models that work without pedalling but they're moving away from this, her bike only gives you power when pedalling so it feels like a normal bike it's just hills and headwinds are no harder. The power is adjustable between high, medium and low plus you can switch off the assist entirely so she can work on improving her fitness gradually.

It's also better for me when I go out cycling with her as it's a much higher pace, 15mph really doesn't sound like much but it's quick when storming up hills or pushing into headwinds so it gives me a good ride too.

I haven't been out for a proper run on the road bike for a while so decided to head out at the weekend but within a mile it started pouring so I decided to give up and head back home. A short while later it cleared up so thought I'd risk it which unsurprisingly wasn't a good idea as when I was good bit into the countryside it started pouring. By the time I reached a junction I could turn back I decided just to carry on with the rest of the cycle as I was soaked anyway and the route back looked pretty wet. One of those rides that's hard to explain to non-cyclists but it's such a lovely feeling on a road bike gliding along the road through quiet and picturesque back roads I didn't mind the rain too much. The hydraulic discs are superb as it's the sort of conditions I was always wary with when riding the rim brakes.

John
    Last edited by Johnmcl7; 14-06-2017 at 1:32 PM.
    • brat
    • By brat 14th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    brat
    Just returned from a family holiday in Pollensa, Majorca. I hired a bike for 5 days but because it was a family break, I only ventured out in the mornings when the family was getting uo. Still managed Formentor and Sa Calobra. What a beautiful island for cycling and touring. We'll have to get back to do more.

Last edited by brat; 18-06-2017 at 1:44 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,722Posts Today

7,278Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin