Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Futura Bold
    • By Futura Bold 15th Jan 15, 6:33 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Futura Bold
    Holiday abroad on ESA & PIP
    • 15th Jan 15, 6:33 PM
    Holiday abroad on ESA & PIP 15th Jan 15 at 6:33 PM
    Does anyone know if you're able to go on holiday while claiming ESA and PIP?

I've researched and posted on another forum yet I'm getting mixed responses.

I'd only be going away for 4 days but, unless I absolutely have to, I don't really want to inform the DWP and draw attention to my case.

How would they know anyway? Is it something to do with using your passport?

Thanks
Page 3
    • bspm
    • By bspm 19th Jan 15, 12:11 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    bspm
    Update

Telephone call to DWP this morning at 8.10am

Me.......Hello I am in receipt of ESA SG and PIP and i'm going on holiday soon and not sure if I have to notify you?

DWP.....How long are you going for?

Me........22 days

DWP......Well it wont affect your benefit but when are you going?

Me.........26th February

DWP.......Well it is a little early to notify us, if you want to call back a few days before you are going and we can update your records unless you want me to update now?

Me........So I don't have to fill in a 15 page brochure because I am going away?

DWP......No, would you like me to update your case now?

Me.........Yes Please

National Insurance and security questions answered.

DWP.......So you are going on the 26th February for 22 days, where are you going?

Me..........Florida

DWP.......Thank you for letting us know, I have updated your records.

Me..........Do I HAVE to let you know if I go away in the future?

DWP.......Well there is nothing that says you HAVE to let us know and in your case it does not affect your benefit, the only thing it would affect is if we wrote to you while you were away but I cannot see how that would affect your time away, nothing would appear that urgent that it would need dealing with within a normal two week holiday, as you are going for three weeks it is probably best you do notify us.

Me........Thank you very much.

So that, in a nutshell, was my experience of notifying the DWP that I would be away from home, they weren't bothered, when I go away in June and October I wont tell them as I will only be going for two week holidays.
    Last edited by bspm; 19-01-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 19th Jan 15, 12:24 PM
    • 29,844 Posts
    • 55,818 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Some years ago, when my husband was claiming Incapacity Benefit, he could even claim it whilst LIVING abroad. It was just administered from a different department and he had his medicals in Marbella

Before that, we were going on holiday to the place we actually ended up living, and he asked the doctor if it was allowed, and the Dr said 'if I could put it on prescription, I would do'.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 19-01-2015 at 6:04 PM.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    'Let me tell you this one thing. When you fall out, as you will, don't get blaming each other. Look inside yourself first'. - Hilda Ogden, to Sally on her wedding day to Kevin, Coronation Street 1986. '
    • bspm
    • By bspm 19th Jan 15, 4:22 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    bspm
    yes you can BUT you have to notify them before you go,for esa they send you a 15 page form to complete and they will try and stop your esa and start payment again when you notify them you are back BUT you should insist that they are not allowed to do this
    for PIP I'm not sure but i suspect the same applies
    Originally posted by woodbine

This is incorrect information
    • bspm
    • By bspm 19th Jan 15, 4:24 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    bspm
    its possible to get conflicting advice from the dwp as under IB you didn't have to tell them unless it was for more than 28 days under esa you do have to tell them BEFORE you go,as i said ^ you have to do this before you go and you also have to provide evidence of when you will be coming back e.g a plane ticket or tele them when you get back
    they may try and suspend your esa if you are due any payments while out of the country THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO THIS
    as for esa awards not telling you to do this like most things its covered by change of circumstances(i.e you won't be in the uk)
    Originally posted by woodbine
    They didn't ask for a copy of my plane ticket, only the date I was returning.
  • SweetBean12
    wow no fair..
    NOW THEN!! get yourself on holiday & dont be such a silly person ! , think of yourself only, & not what you want or worried about what other people think, if the plane crashes !!!, then i will inform them.
    My neighbour goes for 6 months of the year, every year,if you do start going for 6 months at a time !, just get someone close to check your mail & if you have to come home,so be it, its not the end of the world,

but to be serious its 28 days i suspect,
    Originally posted by robotrobo

How can your neighbours go away for six months every year and still allows to claims benefits? Did they inform anyone? My benefits already stop when the adviser been informed because I told him bout my problem, he told other staff I bet and ESA office did not send me a clami, form when I came back just 3 month s, damn not fair hey. Any point for appeal? I am upset. Better get a job so don't have to let the, crappy benefits bonkers staff bother me again ever.
  • SweetBean12
    Stupid peoples too nosey like jobcentre. I bet every where is same.
  • neta85
    This is disgusting, I work for DWP and as a Legislation of any benefit, it is Your Responcerbility to notify the DWP of any changes to your curcumstances, weather it be going on holiday or starting work. Should you fail to do so then this is defrauding the goverment.
    Anyone who leaves the country is not entitled to money from the goverment, which includes JSA, ESA, Housing and Council Tax Benefit, PIP/ DLA, Careers Allowance and Income Support plus many others. However this does not stop completely it could be like a pause in your claim and a full entitlement could start again after.
    Please note the people who are doing this will be caught out sooner or later.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 27th May 15, 12:13 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    NYM
    This is disgusting, I work for DWP and as a Legislation of any benefit, it is Your Responcerbility to notify the DWP of any changes to your curcumstances, weather it be going on holiday or starting work. Should you fail to do so then this is defrauding the goverment.
    Anyone who leaves the country is not entitled to money from the goverment, which includes JSA, ESA, Housing and Council Tax Benefit, PIP/ DLA, Careers Allowance and Income Support plus many others. However this does not stop completely it could be like a pause in your claim and a full entitlement could start again after.
    Originally posted by neta85

According to https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/illness-injury-and-disability-benefits

Going abroad temporarily

You can claim the following benefits if youíre going abroad for up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeks if itís for medical treatment):

Attendance Allowance
    Disability Living Allowance
    Personal Independence Payment
    You can carry on claiming Carerís Allowance if you take up to 4 weeks holiday out of a 26-week period.

Tell the office that deals with your benefit that youíll be away.

Don't know how accurate this link is, but it also gives some info.
    http://www.focusondisability.org.uk/leave-uk.html
    • tomtontom
    • By tomtontom 27th May 15, 12:25 PM
    • 7,190 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    tomtontom
    If you are posting as a DWP employee then you could at least take the time to spell check your posts - it gives a very poor impression. You would also be advised to check the social media policy before posting further.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 27th May 15, 12:26 PM
    • 10,321 Posts
    • 19,016 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I asked my Disability Employment Advisor about this as I went to stay with my Mum at Christmas (she does live in this country) and she said they aren't really interested in those who are just going to be away visiting family in the UK or whatever. They're more interested in those going to Spain for three months in the winter and things like that she said. I'm going to ring them later and clarify this because I'm going to Cornwall for five days the week after next and I don't want my money stopped!
    Update- just rang them. Was told because I'm staying in the UK they don't need to know.
    Last edited by Mrs_Ryan; 27-05-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Eileen Purves
    • By Eileen Purves 19th Feb 16, 12:20 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eileen Purves
    Is this info still current? Thanks for your help.
    • LongTallKatie
    • By LongTallKatie 19th Feb 16, 3:51 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    LongTallKatie
    No you don't need to tell them.
    • LongTallKatie
    • By LongTallKatie 19th Feb 16, 3:53 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    LongTallKatie

If you say so, I've been claiming ESA for several years and have been travelling back and forth to Europe. Not told the DWP anything and have no intention of!
    • emmsie123
    • By emmsie123 19th Feb 16, 4:11 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    emmsie123
    If you work for dwp, you need to do a bit of reading. As your talking rubbish.
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/illness-injury-and-disability-benefits
    I notified them when i went for five days last year and had no stop in my claim.
    Its only jsa where you would have to do a rapid reclaim on return.
    Carers allowance only stops abroad if the disabled person isnt with you.
    Last edited by emmsie123; 19-02-2016 at 4:14 PM.
    • stuedpot
    • By stuedpot 2nd Oct 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stuedpot
    Passport
    Has a Reflector Beacon included . U are constantly being tracked by our Law loving Government?
    • stuedpot
    • By stuedpot 2nd Oct 17, 11:39 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stuedpot
    chip in the cashcard chip in the credit card radar reflector in your Passport. Big Computor in Either Stansted or Swansea. All digitalised and having an identifying numeric value. Enjoy Your Holiday.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 30,399 Posts
    • 19,220 Thanks
    DCFC79
    chip in the cashcard chip in the credit card radar reflector in your Passport. Big Computor in Either Stansted or Swansea. All digitalised and having an identifying numeric value. Enjoy Your Holiday.
    Originally posted by stuedpot

Why drag up an old post ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 2nd Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    epitome
    Originally posted by stuedpot
    Why drag up an old post with implications of impending doom for anyone going on holiday?

ESA claimants do not need to tell the DWP if they are intending to go out of UK for 28 days or less.

However, if you want your claim to be managed while you are away...you might decide to tell them you are going....just incase you are asked to go to a
    Jobcentre Appointment
    Work Program appointment
    Medical Assessment

Otherwise when you return you could find your claim is suspended or closed and you would then need to take action.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter