Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnnieMags
    • By AnnieMags 3rd Jan 15, 11:12 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 13Thanks
    AnnieMags
    Oh, the shame - I forgot to scan one item in Tesco!!
    • 3rd Jan 15, 11:12 PM
    Oh, the shame - I forgot to scan one item in Tesco!! 3rd Jan 15 at 11:12 PM
    Just got home from the weekly shop, which has latterly taken the form of the scan-as-you-shop facility in Tesco. I love it - everything gets packed in the right bag as you go along, and at the end you just pay and you're on your way.

Having said that, I do worry about absentmindedly forgetting to scan something, so I am forever scrolling up and down on the scanner, checking that everything is there.

EVEN SO, today as I was chosen for a 'random service check' as they call it, it turned out that one item had not been scanned - a £1 bag of crisps! No idea how it happened - I must have got sidetracked looking for the next item on my list. I am sitting here munching from the offending object as I type. The attendant was very nice about it and said not to worry, "these things happen", but I still feel terrible that she might think I had tried to steal it. She also said that my next couple of shops might be routinely scanned as there had been 'a problem' on this occasion. Dare I ever use the wretched thing again?? Please tell me this has happened to more of you?!
Page 3
    • deely
    • By deely 15th Jan 15, 2:25 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    deely
    I am surprised they have not installed stocks at the entrance so that they can birch people who scan the items incorrectly
    and pictures on a wall of shame
    Originally posted by pem
    And a Tesco Jail - they do everything else, mobiles, banking etc....
  • BillyL81
    Perhaps if you do get detected as having mis-scanned or passed something through without scanning by mistake you could simply as "How long do you spend training your check-out operators?"
    If supermarkets get customers to do their own check-out operation then they have to accept that some customers will make a simple mistake with it.
    I wouldn't worry about it, mistakes have to be accepted by the stores using this.
    Taking a trolley past the threshold with only half the goods scanned is another matter.
  • BillyL81
    And a Tesco Jail - they do everything else, mobiles, banking etc....
    Originally posted by deely
    Ha Ha - nice one.
    It has to come soon. Maybe Tesco can look at the government tagging system hopelessly served by Serco recently.
  • frugalk15
    I had a 23p bag of parsnips that didn't scan right on the top of my shopping, they pulled everything (£80 odd) out to check everthing infront of everyone, I made a joke saying if I was going to steal it would b more than a parsnip and it wouldn't be on the top as I was so embarrassed, she just tuted at me, so humiliating!!
    I felt like everyone was staring and assistant said to be more careful in future cheeky twit!! Lol
    grocery budget Jan....£26.38/200
    • markvirgo
    • By markvirgo 27th Jun 15, 12:41 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    markvirgo
    I got the stop and check tonight and I had forgot to scan a girls top for a present as my wife was messing around trying to choose one and as I scanned them she changed her mind and chose a different one which by that time I was bored.

The lady at the till unpacked all my 10 bags to rescan and repack by throwing them in the bag with a smug face.

I had spent over £100 and I felt like a criminal trying to steal a £3 girls top.

I walked out not a happy person telling my wife that I will never use them again.

Awful things.
    • Tomteef
    • By Tomteef 24th Dec 15, 1:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tomteef
    I love it, I rob em blind
    • snoman
    • By snoman 17th Mar 16, 3:15 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    snoman
    I think this thread needs reviving.

Having recently switched to self-scan, I am less than impressed. Firstly, I don't believe re-scans are "random" and the user guide doesn't make any such claim. As we have a large weekly shop, we decided to use two small trolleys, rather than one large one. We pay for the first trolley which we then load into the car and the process is repeated with a second trolley. We are invariably selected for re-scan on the second run, never on the first, so it would appear that the computer doesn't like our procedure. We have now decided, in future, just to self scan the first trolley and use the cashier for the second to see what happens. Maybe we will eventually be able to work out what the algorithm is for triggering re-scan.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 11th Sep 16, 8:35 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    glider3560
    I get selected for a "service check" every single time I remove an item (i.e. change my mind and put it back on the shelf). This guarantees a five item check.

In my old store before moving, I used to get a "service check" everytime I slowly walked down the alcohol aisle without buying anything (usually to check out what was on offer). The aisle had an A4 sign at either end saying "red route" - no idea what that means. Maybe the scanners are aware of where they are within the store? Or maybe just coincidence?

I don't mind the service checks. It is still much faster than unloading my shopping at a conventional checkout. What I don't like is the few assistants who throw your shopping around, clearly making no effort not to squash the loaf of bread or bruise your banans.

• moominyak
    • By moominyak 29th Jan 17, 11:11 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    moominyak
    OP (I realise I am resurrecting an old thread!), don't worry about it.

I once bought a handful of items including a greetings card, no service check, sat by the checkout to write the card (as there is a postbox instore), wrote the wrong name (senior moment! ), went back to re-purchase the same card and was checked for just that one item!

More recently, I had a random check for the entire (massive) shop where it was discovered I'd missed 3 or 4 items - all from the same aisle - obviously been pondering something else at the time!

Since then I've had a couple of random checks for say 8 or 12 items, but nothing unexpected and certainly not every time (I'm in there 3 or 4 times a month with shops ranging from huge to around 5 items).

My bugbear ATM with them is why they've put ALL of the new scanner holders on the RH side of the trolleys... some of us are sinister!
    Lapsed 2009 MFW #130: Jan10 £117,889
    Apr10 Shiny new FD offset mortgage Jan17 ~£87k
    • moominyak
    • By moominyak 29th Jan 17, 11:19 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    moominyak
    ... by that time I was bored.
    Originally posted by markvirgo
    Exactly why I always shop alone, my DH and I are in agreement that shopping together would lead to divorce... or murder
    Lapsed 2009 MFW #130: Jan10 £117,889
    Apr10 Shiny new FD offset mortgage Jan17 ~£87k
    • Auslander
    • By Auslander 26th May 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Auslander
    Last week I reached for and placed two items retailing at less than 50p in to my bag but it seems I scanned only one of the pair.

I was selected for a service check where my error was realised, although as there were item in my bag from elsewhere I felt it would help if I told the check out girl that I had two packets of biscuits.

As I was paying I noticed that she had gone and was having a conversation with the store security guard who I have had serious problems with in the past (more later).

I wasn't challenged as I left but ever since then I have had a service check every other day, then every day and yesterday, twice in the same day. This cannot be random and I'm wondering if they can somehow "Fix" the system from instore by using your club card details, it's all computerised.

I'm going again today and fully expect another "Random" service check.

Last year I was stopped as I left the store by the security guard who asked to examine my receipt. Having done so, he directed me back in to the store (Directed, not invited) He put one arm in fromt of me thereby blocking my way and the other was directing me to where he wanted me to go.

Having got back inside the store I came to my senses and asked what the problem was, the Security Guard told me that I had sent the alarm off as I left. I hadn't! If I had, I should have set it off when I returnend and passed through the security barrier again, but I didn't.

I opened my bag and showed him the single item I had bought which retails at 17p and is not protected by a tag which could have been left on accidentally.

Without seeking my consent, the security guard searched my bag! He removed my folio containing personal papers and searched that too, he then took items from elsewhere out of my bag and took them to be scanned at customer services. Meanwhile everyone was watching.

I asked him if he realised that he was exercising police powers but he told me he wasn't and that he was exercising what he referred to as "Security Powers". I know there are no such thing. The law may have regulated the private security industry in 2001 but it gave private security guards no added import. They must seek permission to search or call the police.

This was all done in a total absence of any of the required "reasonable grounds to suspect" that I had or was committing an offence. I was only in the store for a few minutes and went directly too and from the aisle I wanted.

I asked to speak to the manager (three times) but was ignored. I had to ask for my receipt back three times!

At this point I was man-handled from the store and told that I was banned!

I asked the security guard if he was licensed by the SIA (Security Industry Association) as it is an offence to employ or to be employed as a security guard if you are not licensed. He ignored my question. I asked for the managers name but he told me it was on my receipt, it isn't. I asked him his name but he smirked and said "It's Fred Bloggs".

I wrote a letter of complaint to the store although they wouldn't give me his name in order to report him to the SIA (Security Industry Association) saying that the information about staff names was Data Protected. They make their staff wear name badges but the security guard wasn't wearing his at the time. So... staff names are Data protected, but the store makes them wear name badges!!

The result of my complaint was that I was informed I was welcome to return and enter the store and that the security staff had been made aware of this (No apology!)

A couple of weeks ago as I was walking away from the store, I saw the same security guard walking toward me, probably on his way to work, he wasn't yet on Tesco property otherwise I'm sure he wouldn't have shouted the obscenity he did at me.

So, I'm going back today but have been logging the dates of the so-called "Random" service checks.

Any similar experiences or advice on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance!
    • DNotebook
    • By DNotebook 16th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DNotebook
    Two days ago I got a service check and I had a loaf of bread with a reduced label. So when the assistant scanned the ithe loaf, she scanned the full price barcode instead of the reduced label so it showed as me having an item in my bag that hadn't been scanned. She admitted that it was her mistake and told the manager that she scanned the wrong barcode. So the manager had to rescan all my shopping because there's no other way to do it. Then last night I went in there again and I got another service check and when the assistant scanned the barcode thing that they have on a card that they scan before they do a service check, the screen turned red on the scanner and I was led to another checkout and had to put all my shopping on the conveyer belt and have it all put through the till. And then tonight it wouldn't let me get a scanner at all. A message came up on the screen when I tried to get the scanner saying "There is a problem. See customer services." Other people were using scanners so it's obvious my card has now been blocked. So I'm now being penalised for the staff member's mistake. I'm livid! It's literally delaying me every evening now. There's no staff override on the Tesco machine to say that it's their mistake and not mine. And when that red screen came up on the scanner they were really smug about having stopped a "shoplifter" from stealing from them a second time. I feel shame-faced going in there now.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 29,359 Posts
    • 18,565 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Two days ago I got a service check and I had a loaf of bread with a reduced label. So when the assistant scanned the ithe loaf, she scanned the full price barcode instead of the reduced label so it showed as me having an item in my bag that hadn't been scanned. She admitted that it was her mistake and told the manager that she scanned the wrong barcode. So the manager had to rescan all my shopping because there's no other way to do it. Then last night I went in there again and I got another service check and when the assistant scanned the barcode thing that they have on a card that they scan before they do a service check, the screen turned red on the scanner and I was led to another checkout and had to put all my shopping on the conveyer belt and have it all put through the till. And then tonight it wouldn't let me get a scanner at all. A message came up on the screen when I tried to get the scanner saying "There is a problem. See customer services." Other people were using scanners so it's obvious my card has now been blocked. So I'm now being penalised for the staff member's mistake. I'm livid! It's literally delaying me every evening now. There's no staff override on the Tesco machine to say that it's their mistake and not mine. And when that red screen came up on the scanner they were really smug about having stopped a "shoplifter" from stealing from them a second time. I feel shame-faced going in there now.
    Originally posted by DNotebook
    Dont use the scanner thing again, go in with a trolleyand do your shopping as per usual.

Or shop elsewhere.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 16th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Don't like the sound of this at all - our Tesco hasn't introduced this system (yet) but if I were to be treated as a criminal because of a simple mistake I would just abandon the lot and walk out. There are other shops.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 17th Jun 17, 7:45 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    glider3560
    Originally posted by DNotebook
    Get a new clubcard?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,155Posts Today

7,729Users online

Martin's Twitter