Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,750Posts
    • 27,301Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
Page 350
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 19th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,764 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Thanks. No way would seem good time to join in I fight I may.
    I would like to lose 14lb by the end of the challenge.
    Not a good start at lunchtime.
    Grapefruit, packet of crisps , handful of nuts, coffee and a homemade flapjack. It seems I self sabotage.
    Started with good intentions re the grapefruit.
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Have you worked out how much you can eat and still lose weight?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 19th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 4,355 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Nope, but I saw a scary picture yesterday showing the difference in servings for lose maintain and gain weight.
    Snacking between meals and poor lunches are my downfall.
    Dinner I manage well, healthy food, reasonable amount because I am not eating alone.
    I did SW a few years ago, lost it and gined it all again of s time I want to avoid all he those sugar substitutes and sugars, I think I'll try cutting the carbs. Ur am open to any suggestions.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 19th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    Carmen
    Good evening all

Knitwitch can you put me down for the challenge please, I'm going for 10 kilos.
    I have lost another 2 kilos, must be all the salads during this heatwave Unfortunately it's also ice cream weather which I love

I am interested in the ladies/gents that weigh themselves daily. Is it done on good days and bad days to see which way the needle points? Weighing once a week make me anxious, daily definitely would not work for me

Arty, newbie here too.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 8,131 Thanks
    karcher
    Knit Witch hope you're ok, haven't seen you post in here for a couple of days x

I'm a STS again but for the new run I would like to be put down to lose 7lbs please.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 19th Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 33,948 Thanks
    monnagran
    Knit Wtch I would like to join you for the next challenge please.

Nearly 2 years ago I lost 2 stone much too quickly due to a traumatic event. I absolutely could not eat. Unfortunately, for slimming purposes, I am much recovered now and feeling hungry again. I have managed to maintain the lost weight and, in fact, have lost another 7 lbs, but it has been a struggle.

I would like to lose another 7 lbs please. I'm hoping that having to 'fess up will keep me focused
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 20th Jun 17, 6:54 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Hiya monna Great to see you. You need to stop ironing and start walking Or start trawling the island for bungalows. I'm sure you have a Dalmatian who will drag you along.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am interested in the ladies/gents that weigh themselves daily. Is it done on good days and bad days to see which way the needle points? Weighing once a week make me anxious, daily definitely would not work for me
    Originally posted by Carmen
    I plot all the readings on an Excel graph so that I can see an overall trend - that way I stress less about a bad week as long as the overall trend is down.

Unfortunately the overall trend at the moment is STS
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all - it is going to be another hot one but the sky looks quite threatening here. At least the guys doing our pointing have come today - it was just too hot for the lime to stick yesterday.

WI - STS so I have just maintained rather than lost for this challenge. There are plenty of good reasons/excuses why this is (foot injuries, eye surgery, mine and OH's 50th b'days, etc, etc). I will try again with the next one although the school hols do seem to be quite a challenge for me. Can you put me down for the same 6lb please Knit Witch?

We had to put the air con unit on last night as neither humans nor dogs could sleep with the heat

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: LO Korean beef stir fry extended with more veg
    D: venison sausages, maybe BBQ beans if they are done (took a long time last time).

Very gentle 40 min dog walk today - too hot for fluffy boy but they go stir crazy if they don't go out for a bit.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I did SW a few years ago, lost it and gined it all again of s time I want to avoid all he those sugar substitutes and sugars, I think I'll try cutting the carbs. Ur am open to any suggestions.
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    I did WW a long time ago - it worked for me but I never went down the route of all those nasty looking 'pink & whites' and other snacks made in labs full of chemicals. Just because they were only 1 point did not make me want to put them in my body. I just maxed out on the fruit and veg, and cut down on the booze.

I still calorie count/estimate - it works for me. When I don't lose I generally know why
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 20th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 6,937 Thanks
    Doveling
    Hi, All,

Not been posting for a while as have been a bit poorly.
    Sorted now but some of my blubber was actually fluid retention I kid you not

Can I be put down for the next challenge please Knitwitch?

I am starting off again at 11st 9lbs and want to lose a stone but I will just aim for -9lbs this time please.

Hope everyone else is doing ok
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 10,475 Posts
    • 146,037 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    BMI today is 23.9 AND I'm wearing a skirt for the first time in 15 years and in this heat it's so much more comfortable.....getting there!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 20th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 33,948 Thanks
    monnagran
    FBO , I will thank you to stop spreading my failings all across the board. Just for you I will dig out my pedometer, retire the iron, badger the estate agents for more bungalows to look at and harness up the nutty Dalmatian.

I will also say that today I have eaten...
    toast and marmite
    ham and cheese salad
    yoghurt with a dribble of honey, blueberries and strawberries.
    1 very small, (it was small, honest,) piece of flapjack.

The last food was eaten at 2.00 pm and I will not eat again until 8.00 am tomorrow.
    I find that an 18 hour fast everyday is the only thing that works for me.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 20th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    FBO , I will thank you to stop spreading my failings all across the board. Just for you I will dig out my pedometer, retire the iron, badger the estate agents for more bungalows to look at and harness up the nutty Dalmatian.

I will also say that today I have eaten...
    toast and marmite
    ham and cheese salad
    yoghurt with a dribble of honey, blueberries and strawberries.
    1 very small, (it was small, honest,) piece of flapjack.

The last food was eaten at 2.00 pm and I will not eat again until 8.00 am tomorrow.
    I find that an 18 hour fast everyday is the only thing that works for me.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Sorry monna just trying to be helpful. You are certainly doing better than me anyway.

B - 2 chocolate chip cookies
    L - 2 sausage rolls, 2 chocolate chip cookies and a chocolate sundae.

Dinner - what I didn't eat last night. Turkey meatballs with tomato sauce and Bulgur wheat.

So crap in. Am about to get all my meals for tomorrow ready so that I break out of the depression bingeing.

However, 1 x PT session (Squats up to 55kg), 2 hr dog walk. I've racked up 13,000 steps but I don't think that's going to undo the damage from yesterday and today.

I MUST snap out of it.

Well done Mrs LW
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 20th Jun 17, 7:27 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 33,948 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ah, FBO this is the honeymoon period. Don't worry, you are bound to get times when chocolate cookie beckons its siren finger at you and resistance is futile. Don't beat yourself up. Tomorrow is another day.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 20th Jun 17, 7:50 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Hi, all!
    I have just got back from 5 days hiking in the chestnut forests on the Swiss /Italian border. It was hot. I am no lighter but my head is in a better place.

For the next challenge, I should like to try to lose the 13lbs that has hung on for the last year.

I own a small plate just need to remember not to refill it!
    I do best when I weigh daily and get out of the house.

I believe that we are all different and that there is no one solution that suits everyone so I like reading what folks eat and do and maybe try things and recipes out but not to be told that that is the only way...it makes me rebellious and then I eat chocolate. ...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 20th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Odd..I'm certain I've posted lots more than that......figures are different?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 20th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 8,131 Thanks
    karcher
    Odd..I'm certain I've posted lots more than that......figures are different?
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    You are not alone . A few threads went AWOL last night along with peoples post count...

ETA pity my weight loss isn't going the same way
    Last edited by karcher; 20-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 21st Jun 17, 12:51 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    This hot weather is not helping me lose weight

L 2 pieces toast, pate, icecream. my excuse was that we had a friend to lunch.
    D lit the barbecue again - I just have to make the most of this good weather!!!! In three hours I ate 2 chicken thighs, 1 sausage, 1 lamb chop, leftover salad from yesterday but no dressing, no wine just water, cherries soaked in cherry brandy with meringue and cream and then my barbecue dessert favourite - blackened banana split and then laced with maple syrup and cream. I am hoping the weather will change for the worse soon so I can get back to being sensible and frugal.

I sure it is a case of the eyes being bigger than the stomach as I was not all all hungry - it just shows how little self control I have when it comes to food.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 21st Jun 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 16,278 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

I am reporting a sts this week but I am not unhappy about it as I fell off the track and I fell hard . Anyway, today is the start of a new dieting week for me and I am more focussed now.

My meals today are going to be:

b - weetabix and milk with sweetener
    l - chicken and bulgar wheat salad
    d - tuna and mayo baked potato with salad

My plan today is to make a couple of different salads, bulgar wheat, pasta and rice to ring the changes and use up some of my vegetable mountain. Hopefully it will be a titchy bit cooler today so I can cook without dissolving into a puddle.

KnitWitch, can I please be added to the next challenge with a target of 14lb again, thank you.
    May GC - 202/200
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 21st Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all - it is going to be another hot one

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: tuna light lunch thrown on top of a big bowl of salad. Or maybe I will try making houmous.
    D: BBQ tonight to use up the almost empty gas bottle before guests at the weekend. Chicken fillet kebabs, maybe half a burger. Will do a selection of side salads like dumpling as this hot weather is making me graze like mad.

Very gentle 40 min dog walk again today. My step count/activity level is way down at the moment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin