Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,730Posts
    • 27,154Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Page 349
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 17th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    ellie99
    Lovely to see some of you getting good news at the docs
    but sympathizing with pretz and that poor pup!

Not happy to say I STS this week. I ate well and was nowhere near a takeaway! Lots more fruit and vegetables than usual, at one point I felt I may turn into a vegetable

But not a single ounce lost, this fat is proving very stubborn.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 17th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 13,823 Posts
    • 73,602 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Lovely to see some of you getting good news at the docs
    but sympathizing with pretz and that poor pup!

Not happy to say I STS this week. I ate well and was nowhere near a takeaway! Lots more fruit and vegetables than usual, at one point I felt I may turn into a vegetable

But not a single ounce lost, this fat is proving very stubborn.
    Originally posted by ellie99
    That's so frustrating, when the scales don't acknowledge all the hard work you put in!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 17th Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 13,823 Posts
    • 73,602 Thanks
    GDB2222
    DW has a stash of chocolate, which she hides, in order to help my slimming efforts. She is currently ransacking the bedroom, as her hiding skills are better than her memory.
    • pretz
    • By pretz 17th Jun 17, 3:56 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 3,188 Thanks
    pretz
    Thanks Ellie pup is fine now other than being bald no harm done only his pride don't Gove up on the hard work sometimes it takes your body a week or two to catch up with your hard work.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,301 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Thanks for starting a new challenge Knit Witch. I want to drop 10.5lb by the end of July as I have a posh do I have to go to and then another 7lb by my birthday in early September as it's a big birthday the sort that has a '0' in it. So can you put me down for 20lb again.

Just about to light the barbecue, I'll try not to eat or drink too much. Weigh-in day tomorrow and I so want to meet my currant target before the 26th.

In all the years of being overweight this thread has been the best for me. I've tried going it alone and joining clubs/groups, none of which has worked as well as this thread and I came across it by accident - thank you Knit Witch.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 17-06-2017 at 6:41 PM.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 17th Jun 17, 9:19 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Weigh in today and I've lost 6lb I'm in utter shock as I feel bigger than when I started this week. The mind is a twisted thing. Hope everyone's weigh ins go well and if they don't then just remember that this is a adventure and not a race it doesn't matter who gets there and when just as long as we get there eventually.

This is my mantra as I'm highly competitive so it keeps me in line
    Originally posted by pretz
    Well done! Even more sweet when you think you've had a bad week.

In all the years of being overweight this thread has been the best for me. I've tried going it alone and joining clubs/groups, none of which has worked as well as this thread and I came across it by accident - thank you Knit Witch.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I agree. Reporting back and with all of the support has been very helpful.

Thanks Ellie pup is fine now other than being bald no harm done only his pride don't Gove up on the hard work sometimes it takes your body a week or two to catch up with your hard work.
    Originally posted by pretz
    Hope the young man can put it behind him and grow back his fur
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • CathA
    • By CathA 17th Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    CathA
    I weigh myself in the morning, my weigh in day is either Friday or Sunday. If Friday is good i use that but if Sunday is better I'll have that one! X
    Originally posted by CathA
    Haven't found a weight I like so far this week!! My hubby was away for two nights, great I thought, he won't be making yummy dinners. I've not eaten much on the days he's been away, and I haven't eaten loads of rubbish but still the tummy roll is getting bigger!
    He's away 2 days again next week, so if ok with you Knitwitch I'll post my weigh in on Wednesday, as if I've not lost anything by then I'll give up!! (Unless tomorrows weigh in is ok!!!)

Happy Saturday everyone.
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 17th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I was surprised this week with my work who are stopping some incentives at and we have to redeem our points ASAP. I thought I wouldn't bother as I didn't have much, but it turns out I had enough for a £35 voucher which I turned into an M&S voucher. I bought myself (along with a 20% off voucher I already had) a really nice pair of trousers for work (and a couple of handwashes). Total cost after using my 20% plus vouchers - 60p

There is a point to the above story - as I own enough trousers already, I bought the next size down - for when I am able to fit into them

That should help push me even more
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 18th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    ellie99
    CBA, good luck making those trousers fit! I too have trousers like that, they WILL fit by the end of summer

CathA, don't give up, you'll find a weight you like soon

I did give up yesterday, I had the chance to go to a different supermarket (there's only one in my town), so bought a few nice treat things I can't get at home. Like my favourite crisps, muesli, and bread. So after having very little bread recently, I'm now having bread at every meal!
    There's only me to eat it, and it seems my wish to not waste food is stronger than my wish to lose weight

Looks like it could be hot enough to wear shorts at work tomorrow, oh dear, where are they, and will they fit?!

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 18th Jun 17, 8:49 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    I've decided to give up this challenge. Somehow I never really got going so I'm giving myself a couple of weeks off.
    Can you put me down for 4lbs for the next challenge please knitwitch. I won't be starting until 10th July as I will be away in hopefully sunny devon for the first week of the new challenge.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 18th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 13,823 Posts
    • 73,602 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I went for a walk before 9 today, to escape the heat, but it wasn't nearly early enough. I came back so sweaty!
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 18th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,880 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Not sure what the scales are going to show, but considering the last few weeks, as long as I come out of this challenge having lost SOMETHING, I will consider it a success.

Friday I has a blowout, and then I have been away this weekend. Mum's cooking and a meal out. It's been all over the place and I haven't had hope of recording it in MFP.

However, I'm starting tomorrow with a run and Yoga, and hopefully this final week will be a bit more settled and I can shed a bit more.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 19th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 13,823 Posts
    • 73,602 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I went for my walk early today - 5.15! It really is very, very beautiful at that time of day, and really peaceful, even in London. I still came back drenched, though. it's going to be scorchio later!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 19th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all - it is going to be a scorcher!

Off to get the dogs back out of pokey in a bit - we went away for the weekend. They are going to hate today's weather

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: asparagus salad
    D: something healthy from the freezer

No dog walk today unless the temps drop later this evening
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 19th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,301 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Weigh in .5lb loss

I know people say they find it easier to lose weight when it is hot.

Not me..... leisurely meals outside with the barbecue, a glass (or 2) of the red stuff and icecream has not helped at all this week. However, I did have a slight nod towards the healthy eating with salads and fresh fruit but totally destroyed the illusion with salad dressings and cream.

One week to go to final weigh in - will I make my target...not sure but will try.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 19th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Hello!
    May I join in with you all please?
    I'm so,disgusted with myself havingnput on a st Ne since November.
    Today I couldn't get any of my losse linen trousers on.
    Boobs are huge and tummy well rounded- that me me sound like I'm oreganant! Alas it am56.
    Do I post what I would like to lose by this day next week?
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 19th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Today I've had fruit and fibre and slice of toast and marmalade.
    Two cups of tea.
    My big problem is boredom , loneliness and I enjoy baking.
    By next week I would be happy to have shed four pounds.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Hello!
    Boobs are huge and tummy well rounded- that me me sound like I'm oreganant! Alas it am56.
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Hi and welcome.
    Knit Witch runs this as a series of challenges - the next one is just starting and runs for 13 weeks so people say how much they would like to lose in that time. Then they post a weekly WI for progress.

or, just join for the chat/encouragement/advice.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 19th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 13,823 Posts
    • 73,602 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Hello!
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Hello. I'm a newbie here, too.

I've put myself down for losing 2.2 lbs a week for 13 weeks for the challenge. I have no doubt at all that that will be really quite a challenge!
    Last edited by GDB2222; 19-06-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 19th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Thanks. No way would seem good time to join in I fight I may.
    I would like to lose 14lb by the end of the challenge.
    Not a good start at lunchtime.
    Grapefruit, packet of crisps , handful of nuts, coffee and a homemade flapjack. It seems I self sabotage.
    Started with good intentions re the grapefruit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter