Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,750Posts
    • 27,301Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
Page 348
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 28,135 Thanks
    tessie bear
    furry sorry to hear of your difficulties hope you get onto a better wicket fwiw my career went down the swannee about 10 yrs ago and it has all worked out rather well hope the same happens for you

plus 1 lb for me knitwitch need to poke myself with a sharp stick i think

many thanks tessa
    on the brink...
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 15th Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Good start to the day. Been to the gym and had my breakfast. I'm helping out a friend with dog walking today so will be walking a lot. There are 7 dogs between us!

I'll be back for lunch - Home made Chicken Miso soup.

This afternoon I have a HUGE list of admin to do before an AA meeting this evening. Dinner will be late - Asda Sweet Chilli Turkey Sausages and Mash. DH has Gloucester Old Spot Sausages, but I'm going for something a bit healthier
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 15th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,759 Thanks
    GDB2222
    A bad day for me yesterday. Various temptations - which I promptly succumbed to. I had slept really badly, and that's always a problem with staying on track.

Today's a new day, and I'm being good so far today.

I decided that I needed more fibre, so I bought a huge bag of wheatbran. All I can say is that it is very difficult to make wheatbran at all palatable. I boiled some of it up and it makes a very chewy mush. A very small portion has taken me the best part of an hour to eat!

Also having a plate of green beans, and they're nice. I just blanched them, so they're nice and crunchy.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 15th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Feeling fat this week. I hope that doesn't come to anything with weigh in tomorrow as I have been as good as usual.
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 15th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Afternoon all - this morning was totally crazy so I have only just got online.

Plumber was due at 9am to fix the saniflo, then it was between 10 and 11. He didn't arrive till 11:40. On the other hand the pointing guys weren't due till Saturday and they showed up at 7:45. The scaffolding guys weren't due till tomorrow and they turned mid morning. Very noisy and I was having to work in the house as it is too warm to put the dogs in the car once plumber arrived.
    I also had a meeting at school at 2:30 to meet the Head as I have just been elected as a Governor.

The plumber had to turn off the power, twice, which killed my internet connection for work and set the house alarm off. At least the ensuite is now sorted and we can lose the smell of p** from our bedroom.

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: asparagus plus Thai influenced chicken stirfry
    D: sirloin steak, mushrooms, salad, probably fries
    No dog walk as DH got up at the crack of dawn to at least get that job out of the way

well earned G&T (slimline) and maybe even a glass of white as it is open in the fridge.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 15th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am very pleased with myself today. Despite serious provocation I have not succumbed to bingeing. My career is probably over and I have some tough decisions to make.

I am going to indulge and enjoy myself. What will be will be. A treat meal is permitted.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Sorry it has gone so awful on the job front Furry. I hope the ex-boss doesn't get anywhere with his machinations.

A treat meal is definitely the right thing to do.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 15th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 5,559 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Wheat bran....sprinkle a little! on your yog, add some to homemade bread.....it is really not for eating alone!! Like eating a scrubbing brush.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 15th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    GBD2222 Yuck. I second TiredTrophy, not for just 'eating'.

Works well added to porridge if you like that. Also a little added to baking - bran muffins or similar (not sponge cake, but you wouldn't be eating that anyway would you!
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 15th Jun 17, 8:53 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I 2nd the yogurt idea - I add Oatbran and Linseed to mine.
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • pretz
    • By pretz 15th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    pretz
    Well the madness is finally starting to slow down and life is starting to level out. After a very happy appointment at the doctors I am now no longer diabetic, no longer need cholesterol tablets and my lung capacity is better then it's ever been and have been taken off all of my meds which was a side goal for me.

So to celebrate we took the dogs for a lovely 5 mile walk through many country lanes and fields and had a thoroughly lovely time until about an hour after getting home when one of the fur babies decides to stroll into the front room almost completely bald. Quick trip to the vets turns out he's allergic to grass

Dinner ended up being beans on toast whilst I sat in the bathroom console a very sad looking Turkey (dog) sat in an oatmeal puddle looking at me as if this was all my fault

Going to bed to avoid the chocolate, hope tomorrow is a better day
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,759 Thanks
    GDB2222
    GBD2222 Yuck. I second TiredTrophy, not for just 'eating'.

Works well added to porridge if you like that. Also a little added to baking - bran muffins or similar (not sponge cake, but you wouldn't be eating that anyway would you!
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    I had oatmeal bran for breakfast, with some fruit. That's yummy!

We normally mix bran into porridge oats, anyway, but I was hoping to up the fibre content even higher by having the bran on its own. But, as TT said, it is like eating a scrubbing brush.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Well the madness is finally starting to slow down and life is starting to level out. After a very happy appointment at the doctors I am now no longer diabetic, no longer need cholesterol tablets and my lung capacity is better then it's ever been and have been taken off all of my meds which was a side goal for me.

So to celebrate we took the dogs for a lovely 5 mile walk through many country lanes and fields and had a thoroughly lovely time until about an hour after getting home when one of the fur babies decides to stroll into the front room almost completely bald. Quick trip to the vets turns out he's allergic to grass

Dinner ended up being beans on toast whilst I sat in the bathroom console a very sad looking Turkey (dog) sat in an oatmeal puddle looking at me as if this was all my fault

Going to bed to avoid the chocolate, hope tomorrow is a better day
    Originally posted by pretz
    Woo hoo to being off all the meds but poor pooch!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Just to remind you all there is this weekend and next and then the new challenge starts (Monday 26th) so if you want to join up let me know!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,759 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Yes please - I'd like to join. What else do I need to tell you?

BTW, Diabetes UK are starting a million step challenge - a million steps between 1 July and 30 September. That averages around 11,000 steps a day. Of course, they want you to do it to raise money for them, but you can just sign up for the personal challenge.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Fundraising-events/million-step/
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Yes please - I'd like to join. What else do I need to tell you?

BTW, Diabetes UK are starting a million step challenge - a million steps between 1 July and 30 September. That averages around 11,000 steps a day. Of course, they want you to do it to raise money for them, but you can just sign up for the personal challenge.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Fundraising-events/million-step/
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    This will be a 13 week challenge so I just need to know how much weight you hope to lose in those 13 weeks!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 16th Jun 17, 5:14 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Told you I felt fat....I actually lost 1lb So now 11st 1lb.

It reminds me of when I saw my Health Coach, i'm lighter now than when I first started at my current GP surgery 10+ years ago, so to go even lower and be 10st something is my new aim....not far away now!
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,759 Thanks
    GDB2222
    This will be a 13 week challenge so I just need to know how much weight you hope to lose in those 13 weeks!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    13 kilos! I probably won't manage it, but I'll give it a go.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    13 kilos! I probably won't manage it, but I'll give it a go.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    Wowzas! Okay 13 kg it is!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Jun 17, 6:06 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Blackberrycurved … 0/18
    Carmen … 0/3
    CathA … 0.6/5
    Chocolatepennyfarthing … 2.5/7
    Cloth of Gold … 6.5/20
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 5/6.5
    CRANKY40 … 3/10
    Doveling … +3/9
    Dumpling … 14/14
    Ellie99 … 5/14
    Frith … 7/14
    FurryBeastOz … 7.4/13
    Gresleyrover … 0/7
    Jules81 … 10/20
    Karcher … 6/14
    Katkin … 7/14
    Knit Witch … +2/3
    MallyGirl … 0/6
    *Margaret* … 1/12
    Meekie … 3.74/8.8
    Muddles … 4/7
    Munchin … 0/14
    Pinknsparkly … 0/3.5
    Pop Up Pirate … 13/24
    Pretz … 19/10
    Sazzle13 … 1/7
    SIRENS … 2/14
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tammykitty … 8/10
    Tessie bear … +3/9
    TiredTrophy … +2/12
    Troll35 … 5/10
    UnionGirl … 0/5
    Weewdy … 20.5/14
    Zafiro1984 … 17.75/20)

11 st 3.99 lb

GDB2222 … 0/28.6
    Knit Witch … 0/10

0 st 0 lb
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • pretz
    • By pretz 17th Jun 17, 12:09 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    pretz
    Thanks knit witch, pooch is fine although now having to apply sun cream to his skin which just makes him look dafter than just being bald. But it's only fur and will grow back.

Weigh in today and I've lost 6lb I'm in utter shock as I feel bigger than when I started this week. The mind is a twisted thing. Hope everyone's weigh ins go well and if they don't then just remember that this is a adventure and not a race it doesn't matter who gets there and when just as long as we get there eventually.

This is my mantra as I'm highly competitive so it keeps me in line
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,775Posts Today

8,857Users online

Martin's Twitter