Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,750Posts
    • 27,297Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
Page 347
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 8,195 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Morning all!
    I got myself a step counter and did just over 8k steps yesterday it took 2 trips to the local shops and an hour of going round and round Ikea to get there lol.
    Eating has been in comfort mode the last two days so I will make more of an effort today
    Have a good day all x
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I've had a couple of stress ECGs. Nothing to it, really. The worst part, if you are a man, is they shave bits of your chest hair, so they can attach the ECG leads.

It's quite hard work, but you don't have to finish the whole protocol if you don't feel up to it.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    GDB2222, Thanks for the support I appreciate that. To be honest its not so much the ECG that scares me but the results of the test and what happens next. It's something I will just have to deal with, but that's my make-up for good or bad.

Managed another 10500 steps in total yesterday, 6500 steps on a walk and even the JRT was tired when we got back. I'm only going to potter about today but still stay active. I say potter but carrying 25kg bags of chicken feed is no potter about, but at least I've only a few to move and my DH has a bad back so I can't ask him to do it.

Yesterday L fruit D small pork chop and veggies, 50gm cheese, 20gm dark chocolate.

I weighed myself again today and can happily say weight down another tad, I just hope it stays that way until my next official weigh-in.
    Do any of you weigh yourself every day, and at what time do you get weighed. I used to weigh myself every week and first thing in the morning, however, it can become a bit obsessional as I'm now finding myself doing it every day.

Today L omelette
    D It is a toss up between two sausages wrapped in bacon, plus veggies, or, poached salmon, ok I know the sausages are calorific but I just fancy them and think they will win. sugar free jelly and 20gm dark chocolate.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Do any of you weigh yourself every day, and at what time do you get weighed. I used to weigh myself every week and first thing in the morning, however, it can become a bit obsessional as I'm now finding myself doing it every day.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I usually weigh myself every morning but the ensuite is out of action at the moment - dead Saniflo - so by the time I have been downstairs to the loo and put the kettle on I forget to go back up.
    I am a bit obsessional
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 13th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 13,838 Posts
    • 73,723 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I usually weigh myself every morning but the ensuite is out of action at the moment - dead Saniflo - so by the time I have been downstairs to the loo and put the kettle on I forget to go back up.
    I am a bit obsessional
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    When my weight is going down, I have been known to weigh myself every hour!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 8,099 Thanks
    karcher
    Like it

A self done pat on the back is never a bad thing
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Sorry about posting twice in one day

I love raw vegetables and dips. The only problem is supermarket dips can be quite calorific so I thought I'd try to make my own.
    I started with greek yogurt and added curry powder ....horrid
    then greek yogurt and cayenne pepper... worse than the curry powder.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on what I can use before all my yogurt ends up down the waste disposal.

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I'd add some sweetness - yogurt, curry powder and a tsp mango chutney.

Tzatziki - yogurt, mint, garlic, lemon juice - plus squeezed grated cucumber if you can be bothered, otherwise it is more like raita.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 13th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 13,838 Posts
    • 73,723 Thanks
    GDB2222
    When making tuna mayo, you can substitute low fat unsweetened yoghurt for quite a lot of the mayo, and it still tastes just as good. The yoghurt gives it a nice tang.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 13th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Diabetes nurse was happy with my progress and has signed me as fit to go for 12 months

Felt alive today too - these days don't happen often.

Had a really good day for a change so have been non MSE and bought a Euromillions ticket. It might be pushing my luck, but why not when i've had the best day i've had in weeks.

Hope everyone is well. Good to see all the positivity at the moment!
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • CathA
    • By CathA 13th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    CathA
    I weigh myself in the morning, before i have a bath and before i go to bed! I find it quite interesting to see how much goes on and off during the day and overnight only trouble is it's not going off and staying of!

However I'm still nearly a stone lighter than when i started my ' not on a diet diet ', just that final few pounds i can't shift.

On the bright side, a lady i know from where i work was chatting to me today when i was in town with my grandson. He's 3 1/2 and i look after him a lot and have done since he was born, so as to help my daughter and son in law. The lady thought i was his mum, not his grandma; could have kissed her! Don't know how old she thought i was but hey, not bad for a 56 year old. ( And yes i know people my age have babies, in fact a lady at work had just had her third at 50) but still, don't rain on my parade!

Happy Tuesday everyone x
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 8,099 Thanks
    karcher

I love raw vegetables and dips. The only problem is supermarket dips can be quite calorific so I thought I'd try to make my own.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on what I can use before all my yogurt ends up down the waste disposal.
    Mix up the yoghurt with chick peas, garlic, seasoning and any spice you fancy for HM hummus.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 13th Jun 17, 10:35 PM
    • 4,993 Posts
    • 49,176 Thanks
    lynnejk

Try this site - you'll have to troll down past all the pictures to find the list of recipes. HTH

http://cookthestory.com/over-35-yogurt-dips/

Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1110....JUNE=173.49/300
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=843.....JUNE=174.76/200
    Bulk buy.......JUNE=9.12
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=82....JUNE=13/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=414.96
    OS WL= ......CC =370......Savings = £8300
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 14th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 11,720 Posts
    • 11,123 Thanks
    Chris25
    When making tuna mayo, you can substitute low fat unsweetened yoghurt for quite a lot of the mayo, and it still tastes just as good. The yoghurt gives it a nice tang.
    I do this too when making coleslaw
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: leek & potato soup - may serve cold and call it Vichyssoise!
    D: baked chicken with chorizo, roast bns and cauli

35 min dog walk - was running late due to bathroom congestion!
    Ensuite being fixed tomorrow

I have had to freeze some of the raspberries as I just can't eat that many every day. I daren't look to see how many more need picking - I try to pace the crop by having some Summer and some Autumn but there are just loads. Got red and blackcurrants coming too if I get to them before the dogs/birds.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 14th Jun 17, 12:16 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 5,554 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I just froze all the goosegogs as I like them sweetened....so not now!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Jun 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Diabetes nurse was happy with my progress and has signed me as fit to go for 12 months

Felt alive today too - these days don't happen often.
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Brilliant, well done

Thanks everyone for all the yogurt dip suggestions. Trying them will keep me going for weeks. I did the mint, lemon, garlic and cucumber one this lunchtime - lovely and cool, I'll definitely do that again. - thanks MallyGirl

Did my stress ECG this AM. First of all they refused to do it as it was contra-indicated for my problem, they rang the consultant who said to carry on and do it, so they insisted on a medic being present whilst it was done. They (not me) pulled the plug at 4mins and I wasn't feeling any pain, so all in all not a good result and I think surgery will beckon.

L salad and yummy dip
    D probably venison steak with salad or veggies, berries and yogurt, 20gm dark chocolate.

• FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 14th Jun 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,037 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I am very pleased with myself today. Despite serious provocation I have not succumbed to bingeing. My career is probably over and I have some tough decisions to make.

However, I met up with a friend who was going to take me for coffee and cake for my birthday, and managed to dissuade her - I could explain to her that I thought it would set me off.

Tonight DH has turned up with the makings of Tiramisu, but only a 2 portion receipe so we can have it tonight and no leftovers. (Apart from Mascarpone. Not sure what I'll do with that.

B - Yogurt, Nectarine
    L - Turkey meatball, raw carrots, Protein mousse (I only grazed a bit)
    D - Steak, Chips and Cabbage (plus tiramisu)

I am going to indulge and enjoy myself. What will be will be. A treat meal is permitted.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,297 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Sorry to hear about your career FBO - can you retrain?
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 14th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,037 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I was actually considering it already KnitWitch. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something. Actually my governing body offered me career counselling which is open to current and ex members, so I'm going to make full use of it.

It all depends on whether my ex-boss reports me to try and save his own !!!. He won't help himself, but if he's feeling vengeaful he might try and bring me down with him.

Gym 0645 tomorrow. I'm doing so well with the weight I really don't want to sabotage that as well.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,297 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I was actually considering it already KnitWitch. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something. Actually my governing body offered me career counselling which is open to current and ex members, so I'm going to make full use of it.

It all depends on whether my ex-boss reports me to try and save his own !!!. He won't help himself, but if he's feeling vengeaful he might try and bring me down with him.

Gym 0645 tomorrow. I'm doing so well with the weight I really don't want to sabotage that as well.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Best of luck then Hun!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

9,136Users online

Martin's Twitter