Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,750Posts
    • 27,301Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
Page 346
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 10th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    ellie99
    Well done FurryBeastOz, you done good!

Pleased that I've done well today, given that Saturday is the day I usually overindulge. Had planned to have sausage butties for lunch to use them up, but sons appeared and I had to give them up and have a healthy egg salad sandwich instead. Much better for me

Any one watching Mrs Browns Boys? She's on a diet, it's the best laugh I've had all week.

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • pretz
    • By pretz 11th Jun 17, 12:00 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    pretz
    I'm coming out my cave of shame, I've been all over the place as we have been at dance competitions for the last 3 weeks as well as shows and dress rehearsals. Food has been all over the place to the point we had 2 takeaways in 1 weekend

My weight kind of went to pot taking leaps everywhere and now it has finally settled at a 4lb loss

Well done dumpling on your weight loss that's fantastic also well done to everyone else losing or just sticking it out.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Jun 17, 12:46 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I am proud of myself. Got myself back on track and then a threatening letter arrived from my boss yesterday. I went for a long dog walk with a friend, got legal advice, went to the Dr and collected my sister from the airport, all without giving in to the desire to comfort eat.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    stay strong

No walk for me yesterday as my knees hurt so the steps were down to the 5k mark and today I had a farmers market this AM and then spent the afternoon cleaning out the chickens so again steps were only around the 5k mark again. Having said that I'm pretty sure I'm getting stronger as I have a lot more energy and don't get out of breath as easily. Only another three days to go before my stress ECG - bit scary.

L 2 pears, 1 apple, small piece of cheese
    D loads of vegetables, slice of turkey, sugarfree jelly, 20gm dark chocolate.

I've discovered a roasted garlic and herb grinder at S..nsbury. I love it to bits as it really makes the veggies zing.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 11th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Can I ask what people use to count their steps? I used to have a cheap pedometer but it missed loads of steps and I stopped using it.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I use a Nakosite I got it from Amazon and it wasn't expensive. I set it to zero each morning and It just lives in my pocket. It's probably not deadly accurate to 'the step' but to me it's a good indication of what I'm doing.

This morning I turned right at the gate into the lane, again, I've never walked this way along the lane. Interestingly, I notice any slight incline when walking which is something I don't notice when driving, Anyway it was a longer walk with only slight inclines and no pub at the end!

4255 steps so far - hopefully I can smash my record of 8k by the end of the day, not a lot I know 'but every step helps'

L No boring turkey soup today, the remainder went down the dog last night as I was bored with it and it wasn't that tasty. So I'm heading for 1-2oz goats cheese and walnuts with leftover jelly from last night.
    D - not sure, possibly half a rib-eye steak (they are quite thick) and loads of veggies followed by strawberries from the plot and greek yogurt, maybe a glass of the vino as its Sunday and 20g dark chocolate.

Dumpling, you are doing great, like you I find small goals are the way to go in the bigger picture - congrats

I hope the weather holds so have a lovely day everyone.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 11-06-2017 at 10:29 AM.

• CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 11th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Good to see everybody's efforts are still going strong. Well done everyone! Keep it up through the good and bad times and you will get where you want to be!

Saw my Health Coach this morning (my surgery is open 7 days a week). My hba1c is down to 39 - goodbye diabetes, goodbye pre-diabetes, I hope not to see you ever again.

Still need to see the diabetes nurse on Tuesday morning before work, so we'll see what she says but it won't be bad.

Health coach said I should now consider a bit of dark chocolate - it has benefits plus it's a little treat. Do I.....
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Jun 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 8,132 Thanks
    karcher
    STS Yet again
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 12th Jun 17, 7:27 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Yay. Thank goodness. I don't think I could have coped with bad news this morning.

Almost at my target for this 3 months. Fingers crossed I don't do what I did in the previous challenge and comfort eat for the final 2 weeks

Getting my big girl knickers on today. Legs session with PT at the gym. Then I'm finding a lawyer with hob-nailed boots.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 12th Jun 17, 7:48 AM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    ellie99

Saw my Health Coach this morning (my surgery is open 7 days a week). My hba1c is down to 39 - goodbye diabetes, goodbye pre-diabetes, I hope not to see you ever again.

Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    CBA, don't know what the reading means, but that is marvellous news and it sounds like it's all down to your own efforts, so well done you!

Re the chocolate...hmmm, only if you're not the type to get the taste of it again, and want to devour the whole bar in minutes

I had a good weekend, no takeaway, proper eating and calories counting all the way. Still a pound up this morning though, perhaps down to the fact I'm active during the week but this weekend weather was so bad I didn't leave the house. Don't count my steps, but if I did might have reached about 200

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 16,278 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's so nice to read everyone's news this morning and such good results too, fantastic. I'm especially impressed with CBA's blood test results. I am a type 2 diabetic and my last number was 120!! I am hopeful that it will have dropped a bit (a lot) when I go for my next blood test in a couple of weeks.

I popped on my lovely super duper talking scales and I have lost 4lb over the weekend . I could have kissed them .

My menu today looks like this:
    b - eggs on toast
    l - jacket potato with tuna mayo and salad
    d - moroccan baked chicken and rice with a flat bread.
    s - milk for teas

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices xx
    May GC - 202/200
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 12th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,764 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Good to see everybody's efforts are still going strong. Well done everyone! Keep it up through the good and bad times and you will get where you want to be!

Still need to see the diabetes nurse on Tuesday morning before work, so we'll see what she says but it won't be bad.

Health coach said I should now consider a bit of dark chocolate - it has benefits plus it's a little treat. Do I.....
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Very good news on the diabetes front. Can I ask whether you are/were taking medication for it?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all - some good progress being made by everyone

Had family up for the weekend for a big meal for our joint 50th - everlasting birthday this one! Lovely but not lightweight.
    We had a BBQ on Sunday and walked around a local artist studio trail but now I have a fridge full of leftovers.

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: leftover salads from BBQ
    D: sausage pasta bake (LO sausages from BBQ)

50 min dog walk (still limping)
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 12th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Just 1lb loss this week but I'm not disappointed because it's in the right direction.
    There are some really inspiring weight loses posted -congrats to all. I don't think I'll make my target before the end of this challenge but I'm happy with what I've done so far.

Did 10,500 steps yesterday, so happy I think it's the first time I've managed so far in at least 6 years.
    So far today I've done 6900 steps because I took the dog round the block. I'm tired but OK. I'm going to give my legs a rest tomorrow as it's the stress ECG on Wednesday and I don't want to arrive tired but I'm already getting worked up about it because I'm a 'white coat' syndrome sufferer.

L and D not sure will post later with food diary.

• GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 12th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 13,840 Posts
    • 73,764 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Just 1lb loss this week but I'm not disappointed because it's in the right direction.
    There are some really inspiring weight loses posted -congrats to all. I don't think I'll make my target before the end of this challenge but I'm happy with what I've done so far.

Did 10,500 steps yesterday, so happy I think it's the first time I've managed so far in at least 6 years.
    So far today I've done 6900 steps because I took the dog round the block. I'm tired but OK. I'm going to give my legs a rest tomorrow as it's the stress ECG on Wednesday and I don't want to arrive tired but I'm already getting worked up about it because I'm a 'white coat' syndrome sufferer.

L and D not sure will post later with food diary.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984

I've had a couple of stress ECGs. Nothing to it, really. The worst part, if you are a man, is they shave bits of your chest hair, so they can attach the ECG leads.

It's quite hard work, but you don't have to finish the whole protocol if you don't feel up to it.
    Last edited by GDB2222; 12-06-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 12th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    Very good news on the diabetes front. Can I ask whether you are/were taking medication for it?
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    I got through it via diet and exercise alone. I have enough pills for everything else. It shows it can be done

I see the diabetes nurse tomorrow but the health coach told me yesterday, so she's stolen the nurse's thunder

Good morning everyone

It's so nice to read everyone's news this morning and such good results too, fantastic. I'm especially impressed with CBA's blood test results. I am a type 2 diabetic and my last number was 120!! I am hopeful that it will have dropped a bit (a lot) when I go for my next blood test in a couple of weeks.

I popped on my lovely super duper talking scales and I have lost 4lb over the weekend . I could have kissed them .

My menu today looks like this:
    b - eggs on toast
    l - jacket potato with tuna mayo and salad
    d - moroccan baked chicken and rice with a flat bread.
    s - milk for teas

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices xx
    Originally posted by dumpling
    120? I didn't know it went up that far. I feel a bit of a fraud for being in the high 40's now

I hope it lowers itself when you next get tested and well done on the 4lb loss - that will help

CBA, don't know what the reading means, but that is marvellous news and it sounds like it's all down to your own efforts, so well done you!

Re the chocolate...hmmm, only if you're not the type to get the taste of it again, and want to devour the whole bar in minutes

I had a good weekend, no takeaway, proper eating and calories counting all the way. Still a pound up this morning though, perhaps down to the fact I'm active during the week but this weekend weather was so bad I didn't leave the house. Don't count my steps, but if I did might have reached about 200
    Originally posted by ellie99
    HbA1c
    Normal Below 42 mmol/mol
    Prediabetes 42 to 47 mmol/mol
    Diabetes 48 mmol/mol or over

I'm now 39, so well inside 'normal'. I was diagnosed last June, so 6 months in to it (December) I had reduced it back to normal/pre-diabetes but now i'm just 'normal'.

I reckon I deserve to reward myself

I'll go for dark chocolate, when I eventually do.....if I do. It's not like i've missed it.

Well done on the good weekend eating. UK is meant to warm up later this week, so hopefully by next weekend you'll be out and about and even more active
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 10,475 Posts
    • 146,039 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The weight is still slowly coming off, triumphant today as the first two digits on the scales this morning are 66 not 67!!! Oh Happy Day!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 12th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    Carmen

Lots of positives since my last post
    I have STS at least no gain!

Missed breakfast so for brunch had 5 rice cakes with scrape of mayo and sliced beefeater tomato sprinkled wit garlic and pepper.

Dinner will be veggie lasagne (hm) with salad

Fruit and yogurt
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Blackberrycurved … 0/18
    Carmen … 0/3
    CathA … 0.6/5
    Chocolatepennyfarthing … 2.5/7
    Cloth of Gold … 6.5/20
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 4/6.5
    CRANKY40 … 3/10
    Doveling … +3/9
    Dumpling … 14/14
    Ellie99 … 5/14
    Frith … 7/14
    FurryBeastOz … 7.4/13
    Gresleyrover … 0/7
    Jules81 … 10/20
    Karcher … 6/14
    Katkin … 7/14
    Knit Witch … 5.5/3
    MallyGirl … 2/6
    *Margaret* … 1/12
    Meekie … 3.74/8.8
    Muddles … 4/7
    Munchin … 0/14
    Pinknsparkly … 0/3.5
    Pop Up Pirate … 13/24
    Pretz … 19/10
    Sazzle13 … 1/7
    SIRENS … 2/14
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tammykitty … 8/10
    Tessie bear … +2/9
    TiredTrophy … +2/12
    Troll35 … 5/10
    UnionGirl … 0/5
    Weewdy … 20.5/14
    Zafiro1984 … 17.75/20)

11 st 13.49 lb
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 12th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 28,135 Thanks
    tessie bear
    cba good work thats splendid very inspiring

dumpling kissing the scales yikes i normally feel like kicking them

i am trying to drink more water think i might be on to something as i keep running to the loo so plenty of exercise

hope everyone is having a good week lyn hows it going with you ? all good i hope
    tessa
    on the brink...
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all
    WI today - put back on the 2lb I lost last week (not a surprise) so I am now back to square 1 for this challenge.

B: FF yogurt, berries, seed mix, maple syrup
    L: leftover sausage pasta bake
    D: LO burgers from the BBQ - not my favourite thing but I won't waste them. I did look at recipes to use up cooked burgers but they all started with 'crumble the burgers' and these are very solid 6oz ones and I can't see that they would crumble.

MIL picked about a kilo of raspberries from my garden on Sunday so breakfast is very fruity at the moment.

50 min dog walk (still limping, but not quite as much )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin