Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,730Posts
    • 27,154Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Page 345
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 6th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 27,154 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    MallyGirl, our cat gets destructive enough when he's bored, I don't even want to imagine what your doggies would do

I was super excited about an egg-free chocolate brownie I found in poundland (I can't eat eggs and miss brownies so much!) only to find out it was a PROTEIN brownie. It was perfectly edible, but definitely definitely not a brownie and I feel rather cheated now .
    Originally posted by pinknsparkly
    Hmm Have you looked for Vegan brownie recipes?
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 7th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 8,183 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Morning all,
    Horrible wind and rain gone I went for a walk with occasional short bursts of jogging last night, and I'm shocked at how unfit I am. DS1 was with me and I said to him I felt like I was carrying a heavy rucksack! He kept geeing me along though and kept pace with me even though he's as skinny and fast as a whippet

Yesterday's report:
    B: hm muesli
    L: tuna mayo sandwich
    D: pasta and tomato sauce, slice of seeded bread
    S: banana, cashew nuts and a praline

Have a good day all
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Jun 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 5,768 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    B: low carb granola, berries, skim
    L: got to shop at lunchtime so will have to pick something quick up
    D: Heck paprika sausages made into some sort of pasta bake I think - not tried these before

Didn't get the dogs out before work so will have to try and take them tonight. DD is in the middle of yr 10 exams at the moment and finds it helpful for me to play examiner with the mark scheme in hand when she does past papers - I am hoping we are nearly there as this is taking a lot of time. I am starting to think I could pass Biology next year if I entered (I didn't take that as an O level). I am happy to help as she is working really hard - it is just a challenge to fit everything in.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,304 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Yesterday's food
    L 2 egg salad
    D Turkey soup, just turkey, kallo low salt stock cubes and vegetables, herbs and seasoning.

I lit the Esse Ironheart yesterday as it was cold so I couldn't let the oven do nothing as the fuel is free, so cooked a turkey crown and half a carcass which made the soup. There's enough soup to last until I get bored.

Went up the lane again today, took the dog, stopped just once to get my breath back, 2855 steps so far today and no pain, just one week to go before my stress ECG.

Food today
    L turkey soup
    D maybe soup again or maybe turkey and vegetables, sugar free jelly

Got to get my head down and finish the VAT as it's the last day for submission.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 7th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 13,823 Posts
    • 73,607 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Only 957 steps so far today, but I'll go for a walk later.

Breakfast was an apple, but I'm beginning to think quite hard about lunch.

I can't get MyFitnessPal to work today. Anybody else having trouble with them?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 7th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 28,098 Thanks
    tessie bear
    sts for me please need tp get on it or i will be heavier at the end than i was t the beginning...not the general idea
    on the brink...
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 5,768 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I can't get MyFitnessPal to work today. Anybody else having trouble with them?
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    yes - it has been poorly for me too. Lots of failure to connect / schedule maintenance errors. Seems ok now
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 7th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,511 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Oh dear,,,i just caught myself sitting on the kitchen floor finishing the last of the going for a bike ride chocolate.....
    I think there's a problem.
    • CathA
    • By CathA 7th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    CathA
    I weigh myself in the morning, my weigh in day is either Friday or Sunday. If Friday is good i use that but if Sunday is better I'll have that one! X
    Originally posted by CathA
    I've changed my working days this week, as I'm vote counting again tomorrow, so yesterday was my 'Thursday'. Weighed myself this morning, and I'm going for .2lb loss-rather small but still a loss!! So that's a total loss so far of .6 lb overall-not gonna lie, I keep eating more than I should.

I still maintain that giving up smoking has had an effect on my metabolism, and every day when I walk past the garage I debate about buying some fags. Every day I tell myself I'll buy some tomorrow, so far that's working as I've not bought any, but it's so hard.

I'll be up all night tomorrow, with the added bonus (?) of being fed at odd times of the night so I don't think Friday's weigh in will be anything to write home about, hence the weigh in today. Depending what time I finish tomorrow night, I'm might be going to a friend's house to watch the results coming in (and she has cake!)

Happy Wednesday everyone. See you on the other side.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 8th Jun 17, 3:28 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,304 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Went for another walk today up the lane but this time I carried on as far as the pub, fortunately at 8am it's closed. Met a neighbour also out with her dog and the discussion was on where to find the best elderflowers, she makes cordial and I make sorbet and freeze it. 6367 steps so far today, hoping to get to 8000 before the end of the day.

L more of the boring turkey soup I made a couple of days ago, just enough left for lunch tomorrow.
    D turkey and vegetables but I need to spice it up a bit with something, sugar free jelly, 20gm 85% cocoa chocolate.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • CathA
    • By CathA 8th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    CathA
    Oh dear,,,i just caught myself sitting on the kitchen floor finishing the last of the going for a bike ride chocolate.....
    I think there's a problem.
    Originally posted by TiredTrophy
    Yes, not enough chocolate!
    • Sazzle13
    • By Sazzle13 9th Jun 17, 5:57 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Sazzle13
    Good morning,

So yesterday went completely off plan

Today looks like this, must try harder next week and try and get to the gym

B: Bacon and omelette roll
    L: turkey salad wrap
    D: coconut chicken with rice
    S: tangerine

• FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 9th Jun 17, 6:49 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,892 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Doing well this week. Plenty of exercise and eating sensibly if not extremely low calorie.

I'm desperately trying to get into some sort of routine.

Dog walking for 2hrs with a friend today. It's raining Lots of steps though. I'm going to go and do an upper body session in the gym first though
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 9th Jun 17, 7:19 AM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 16,211 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi everyone

I am reporting a 2lb loss this week. I have 4lb to go to get into the next stone down bracket and 11lb until I get into the 300+ lb bracket, very exciting for me. I have bought a journal to fill in about my weight loss and food choices. I am hoping to be able to look back in the future and see how it all went.

My menu today is:
    b - cheese and pickle sandwiches
    l - tuna baked potato and salad
    d - fish with a chorizo crust, new potatoes and green beans

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices xx
    May GC - 202/200
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 5,768 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Doing well this week. Plenty of exercise and eating sensibly if not extremely low calorie.

I'm desperately trying to get into some sort of routine.

Dog walking for 2hrs with a friend today. It's raining Lots of steps though. I'm going to go and do an upper body session in the gym first though
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Good to hear such a positive post after all the bad stuff. Keep it up
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 9th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I think my Boots machine has gone a bit wrong.

Day off work so weighed myself in normal clothes as opposed to work ones. No drama here STS - actual loss 0.1kg but heavier clothes and i've done really well this week so even that tiny loss with heavy clothes means i've done ok.

The alarm bells were the body fat - last week 18.2% this week 28.2% a 10% increase in a week where i've been really good with less calories than normal? I don't think so! From touching 'Excellent' to between average and poor? Must have been the Tesco Finest Strawberries - must go back to the cheap ones if they are doing that to me!

Anyway, not taking that seriously.

I visited family yesterday and 1 of the 11 actually noticed i'd lost weight and said "you don't need to lose anymore" (I do need to lose some fat). One of them actually noticed! An ex colleague noticed the other day too. It's actually real! I have visibly lost weight

Have a nice day one and all - lovely sunshine where I am Though the rain is coming tonight
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Jun 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 5,768 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Congratulations on having your efforts noticed CBA.
    • CathA
    • By CathA 9th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    CathA

I'll be up all night tomorrow, with the added bonus (?) of being fed at odd times of the night so I don't think Friday's weigh in will be anything to write home about, hence the weigh in today. Depending what time I finish tomorrow night, I'm might be going to a friend's house to watch the results coming in (and she has cake!)

Happy Wednesday everyone. See you on the other side.
    Originally posted by CathA
    Home by 4 in the end ( would have been an hour earlier if SOME PEOPLE could add up!) However i met my vote counting friend so we had a lovely chat whilst we waited. As usual, delightful refreshments were offered; pizza, sandwiches, cold sausages, chips, dips, cake and shortbread - yum! Plus fruit. It would be rude to not eat the offered food so i did. Surprisingly the weigh in this morning was not bad but I'm still sticking with the last number.
    Off to bed now, it's been a long day.
    Happy Friday everyone x
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 10th Jun 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 10,352 Thanks
    ellie99
    Morning everyone. Another wet day! Been soaked almost every day this week, so only walking has been at work (about an hour a day).

Have a 1lb LOSS today. Had hoped it would be more as I've really got it under control again this week, 5 good days in a row! Now for the hard part, to keep it going over the weekend

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 12,892 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I am proud of myself. Got myself back on track and then a threatening letter arrived from my boss yesterday. I went for a long dog walk with a friend, got legal advice, went to the Dr and collected my sister from the airport, all without giving in to the desire to comfort eat.

Leaving the wallet at home definitely helped!

Today, I was at an Indian cookery course. YUM. But I tasted small amounts of what we cooked and brought the rest home. DH can have it for dinner and I will stick to plan.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin