Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,686Posts
    • 26,742Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Page 339
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 19th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 8,064 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Tired today and fed up with the rain so my steps number have been severely curtailed. I may just get up to 5000 steps by bedtime. Our daughter is going to let me borrow her treadmill for a few weeks, she says its quite large but I hope it will fit in the car. Looking forward to having a go. Apart from that I have quite a bit planned for tomorrow, it's going to be a busy day so my steps should be OK.

Lunch:- very little as I was busy doing paperwork and my OH wasn't here.
    Dinner:- (in about an hour's time) turkey thigh, veggies, goats cheese walnuts, dark chocolate.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices 43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget 3650 (10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year 13.89
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 19th May 17, 9:54 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I think you may well have a point there about male weightloss CBA, and also perhaps because guys tend to wear less fitted clothes than females so perhaps it's not as obvious? You've inspired me to go and fill up my fruit bowl (I've been sat here wanting to get some chocolate on my way home but I'm going to stay strong!)
    Originally posted by pinknsparkly
    It's possible with regards to fitted clothes. It may also be me - maybe people think I won't react well?

Stay strong - fruit and veg is the way to go

So, reporting back......I am a STS this week. I'm pleased as i've been lethargic this week and not done as much bike work as I wanted, but disappointed as it's not a loss.
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 2lbs (12 May 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More....no time frame....just lose it!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 19th May 17, 10:59 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 37,240 Thanks
    Frith
    B - porridge with blueberries and banana

L - HM parsnip soup

T - pasta with tuna and tomato sauce. Splodge of rice pudding and stewed damsons.

Few of sons' crisps whilst driving home from football practice.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 20th May 17, 12:41 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    Forgot to give weight in -1
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget 350 - Spent 64.45 to date
    • ellie99
    • By ellie99 21st May 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 10,262 Thanks
    ellie99
    No weigh in for me this week as I'm in a different house to my scales again. Probably no bad thing, as I know I've not lost anything and may well have put on. All my good intentions just disappeared and I ate whatever I wanted.
    It has to stop so I'm trying this week to eat "normally", neither dieting hard or overeating too much, in the hopes it will calm my urge to stuff my face!

Good luck to those still to weigh in

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 21st May 17, 9:50 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 8,064 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Very busy yesterday which was a good thing for my 'steps' which came in at 6570. By the end of this week the aim is for an average of 8000. My hospital treadmill appointment has come through for a late afternoon time, but because I'm much more active in the morning and my legs give up and start to ache towards the end of the day I think I will change it to a morning session. It's not my legs they are stressing but my heart. One inspiring comment on the paperwork they sent was 'Should you have a heart attack whist doing this assessment there is medical staff in attendance' I'll comment no more.

Picked up my daughters treadmill yesterday, it barely fitted in the car and took three of us to lift it. It just needs putting together and then I can have a go.

Good news:- I have officially lost 2 stone today since starting my diet. Some of it was before I joined this thread but I think I would have given up (again) had it not been for Knitwitch et al's support.

Yesterday Lunch - cheese and nuts
    Dinner - fish and vegetables plus a 'Eat Natural- apple, ginger and dark choc bar' left over from a gluten free person at lunch - it was toooo sweet, just shows me how much my 'no added sugar' diet has changed my taste buds.

Today lunch probably omelette of some sort
    Dinner vegetables with some form of lean meat, berries and yogurt.

• gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 21st May 17, 3:04 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    I've been MIA for most of this challenge. I just seemed to have lost my way and in fact rather than losing weight I was putting it on.
    However I've been more focused this week and have lost 0.8lbs. So that at least takes me back to where I started.
    Hoping for a proper loss this week
    • Frith
    • By Frith 21st May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 37,240 Thanks
    Frith
    B - Porridge with stewed damsons

T - Jack Monroe's 10p burgers with mango chutney
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 21st May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Been busy, but planning well. Lots of small meals seems to be the way to go. And Breakfast as late as possible.

Was at a family do today. I avoided the canap!s, lovely salmon Mousse and asparagus starter. Roast duck leg with braised lettuce and peas (I took the skin off and left the roast new potatoes), and I didn't have dessert.

Cue a desperate early dinner of half a baked potato with tuna and cottage cheese.

Weigh in tomorrow. I'm hopeful.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST April: NSD = 11/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 967.18/3,000, 32.24/32.88% of the year.
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 21st May 17, 11:00 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    I hate vegetables but I found a way that I can enjoy them: I boil them all up together with salt, pepper and chicken stock and a tin of toms, then blend them with a stick blender and (sometimes) some fat free creme fraiche, then it's a thick, tasty soup, which everyone enjoys. I bake a batch of fat free skinless chicken breasts, and cube one up and throw it in the soup. Fantastically delicious, filling, incredibly nutritious, fat free, low calorie.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 22nd May 17, 5:52 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 6,613 Thanks
    karcher
    STS unfortunately.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 22nd May 17, 6:04 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Yeah. Down another 1lb

Joy.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST April: NSD = 11/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 967.18/3,000, 32.24/32.88% of the year.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 22nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    B: low carb granola, berries, skim
    L: big crunchy salad with asparagus & avocado
    D: chicken breast somehow - maybe pilaff as I know there is some HM stock in the freezer

40 min dog walk in the lovely sunshine.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 22nd May 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 8,064 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Weigh-in day today 2lb loss

Steps yesterday were just over 8000, the most I've done yet. This morning walked up to the barn, called in on the veggie plot to open the tunnels and then came back down to the house all without being out of breath. I've only been trying to get more active for 9days but I'm already seeing a difference and liking it.

Off to feed, water, collect eggs and clean out the nest boxes of 150 chickens - a bit more activity.

L:- cheese and walnuts, satsuma
    D:- probably turkey and vegetables, berries and yogurt, My strawberries are producing well so that will be my 'snack'

Knit Witch How many more weeks are left on this challenge as I'm wondering if I can meet my challenge?
    Last edited by zafiro1984; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 22nd May 17, 2:32 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,742 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Blackberrycurved 0/18
    CathA 1.4/5
    Chocolatepennyfarthing 1/7
    Cloth of Gold 9.75/20
    CloughiesBrewerArmy 4/6.5
    CRANKY40 3/10
    Doveling +3/9
    Dumpling 10/14
    Ellie99 5/14
    Frith 0/14
    FurryBeastOz 10.6/13
    Gresleyrover 0/7
    Jules81 10/20
    Karcher 6/14
    Katkin 7/14
    Knit Witch 5.5/3
    MallyGirl +1/6
    *Margaret* 1/12
    Meekie 3.74/8.8
    Muddles 4/7
    Munchin 0/14
    Pinknsparkly 0/3.5
    Pop Up Pirate 13/24
    Pretz 12/10
    Sazzle13 1/7
    SIRENS 2/14
    Sue14 0/12
    Tammykitty 6/10
    Tessie bear 1/9
    TiredTrophy +2/12
    Troll35 5/10
    Weewdy 19.5/14
    Zafiro1984 16/20

10 st 10.49 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 22nd May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,742 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Knit Witch How many more weeks are left on this challenge as I'm wondering if I can meet my challenge?
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    5 more times to weigh in zafiro!
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd May 17, 2:59 PM
    • 11,432 Posts
    • 143,976 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Today the scales read 68.0 for the first time ever, I started at 82.5 in November and the BMI is under 25 now and I feel so much more energetic and healthier, it feels good folks, stick with whatever you're doing because the end result is really worth it!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 22nd May 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    good news MrsLW
    • Frith
    • By Frith 22nd May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 37,240 Thanks
    Frith
    B - 2 little scotch pancakes and strawberries

L - toast and hummus plus a banana

T - Jack Monroe's 10p burgers and mango chutney
    • pretz
    • By pretz 22nd May 17, 11:23 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    pretz
    So after a manic weekend and consuming way to much bbq food, 3 tiered coffee cake even though I hate coffee I thought a big slab of it would be fine I mean it was only slathered in coffee buttercream, edged with chocolate fingers and topped with a mountain of chocolate balls all this was washed down with more alcohol then I should consume in a month let alone a day. However I am no way gloating but I have managed to keep off the 3lb loss that I had on Friday but didn't want to share incase it all went back on, but by some sort of miracle it's not reappeared yet chances are I'm still dehydrated from all the rum.

Hope everyone else had a fab weekend and has been fixing their bodies with this gorgeous sun we are being treated with.

Congrats on all the losses and well done zafiro on achieve the steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,556Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin