Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,750Posts
    • 27,301Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
Page 338
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 16th May 17, 10:50 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy

CBA...completely get you with people's reactions (or not!)) re your weight loss.
    Just shows how different people are. My parents and children never comment on my losses, nor some of my friends. And yet last week the old man next door to me mentioned how much I'd lost, and he only sees me when he goes by for his paper in the morning!

I suppose in the end we lose weight for ourselves, so let's congratulate ourselves
    Originally posted by ellie99
    Oh indeed, we do it for ourselves. We are the ones benefitting, mentally and physically.

It's just nice when people notice

CBA and Ellie, while I'm sure some people notice and don't say anything (I've certainly been guilty of seeing someone for the first time in ages and she'd lost a LOT of weight - I was so concerned I had to check with a friend that it was deliberate and not because she was ill before I mentioned it to her), but also some people just completely don't notice! I have often lost a bit of weight by increasing my exercise and cutting out snacks and not even noticed the weightloss myself (as I don't really weigh myself) until someone else pointed it out. Likewise, people have to lose an enormous amount of weight before I notice. My other half is the same - he has this theory that telling people they've lost weight is how girls pay each other compliments because he's completely blind to it too!! Other people can think that telling you you've lost weight is the same as telling you that you were fat before. Particularly in females, weight can be such an emotional topic that I think some people avoid saying anything even if they do notice as they're worried they'll offend you one way or another!!
    Originally posted by pinknsparkly
    I wonder if people don't mention it to me because I am male. It's not really a blokey thing is it and females may feel awkward saying it to a man. The people that really notice are more mature women.

I know what you mean. So many people seem to be interested only in their own lives and when you talk to them they go on endlessly about they they're doing and ask you nothing about yourself, even if they know that you have things happening in your life that you might like to tell them or talk to them about. I think social media (which basically encourages people to focus on themselves and tell the world about it) is partly to blame.

Sorry for going wildly off topic.
    Originally posted by Cloth of Gold
    Never thought about it like that - it's a very valid point.

I don't use social media so fortunately have never been pulled into that trap.

Well done to all the losers this week and those not quite fortunate enough have a better week this week. You don't need that cake, chocolate really....aim for a banana instead You can do it
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 1lb (16 June 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More.....or at worst gain muscle
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 16,276 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

I am reporting a 2lb loss today. I am very happy with that result. I am shaking up my diet this week to include more fruit and veg as there were bits of junk food that crept in last week. It is a slippery slope for me and soon one bad day turns into a week. It is really helpful to write down my menus as it keeps me focussed.
    So todays food looks like this:

b - bacon medallions, egg, mushrooms and tomatoes
    l - extra lean steak burger and salad
    d - roast turkey dinner with carrots, cabbage broccoli and green beans.
    s - yoghurt and fruit

I have been challenged to have some vegetarian days this week so I will be perusing my recipe books to get some good ideas.

Hope you all have a great day and make good choices xx
    May GC - 202/200
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 17th May 17, 10:01 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I forgot to check in here yesterday

Monday wasn't great - was doing well and then decided I deserved a bar of chocolate - but the overall calories were still low!

Yesterday
    B- Porridge
    L - Chicken Salad
    D - Pork chop, sweet potato and green beans

(Zero sweet stuff - so a good day for me!)

Today
    D- Smoked Salmon & peaches
    L - Chicken Soup
    D - Pork Chop and Salad
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th May 17, 10:03 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    MallyGirl How did the Dr's go? Hope you weren't jumping the gun earlier!
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    All signed off now - thanks for asking
    Now if it wasn't for the plantar fasciitis and the front of thigh muscles screaming from a whole 10 mins of HIIT then I would be good to go

B: low carb granola, berries, skim
    L: no idea - client has scheduled a webex from 12 till 3pm so it will have to be quick and early or very late, or something I can munch while on mute!
    D: Chinese crispy duck - not a healthy choice but we haven't had a meal together as a family for a few days and this is fun (and was on offer at Costco).

45 min slow dog walk in the rain. Foot was a bit tender after yesterday - 3 mile walk to the hospital and then there were no taxis available (big home footie match nearby) so I walked half way home before I could flag down a black cab.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th May 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 8,307 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    for me - long strides - 5000 steps equals 2.5 miles, so you are probably doing 3 miles over the day when you hit 7000.
    I do 2.5 miles every morning with the dogs before I start work. I didn't get out at lunchtime so will set off at 4:30 for my 5:30 appointment. Better than sitting in a traffic jam in a cab watching the meter tick away
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    I'm trying to get fitter for this treadmill assessment I have to undergo at the hospital to decide whether or not they operate now or later.
    I usually use an ATV which is a bit like an offroad golf buggy to get me around our place as I need to carry 20kg bags of food so I have become very unfit, also I've had 2 hips replaced three yrs ago and feel unsteady on my feet at times. However, it's no use having excuses I just have to get fitter.

Over the last 4 days I've ditched the buggy when I had no food to carry and taken to the legs. I managed to walk slowly uphill from the house to the barn and back on day one which is about a quarter of a mile. This morning I walked quickly to the barn and back, I'm now doing it 3 times a day, I'm out of breath when I get there but no pain in my chest. For me it feels an improvement, but time will tell.

If nobody minds I think I will post on this thread my fitness progress for good or bad as it may also help with my weight loss.

Lunch - boiled egg salad, sugarfree jelly
    Dinner - turkey stirfry, berries yogurt
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 17-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th May 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    That sounds like a big improvement to me. The main challenge is to keep it up.
    My SIL who has had ME for 20 odd years asked for a fitbit type thing for her birthday. She is aiming for 3,000 steps a day. For her that will be a big achievement. It is important to focus on your own health and goals and not to compare yourself to others - I fell into this trap when my target weight was many people's starting point and I used to get frustrated. Now I am trying to keep the focus on how I am doing and not worry about what the rest of the world is up to - it doesn't always work but I try.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 28,135 Thanks
    tessie bear
    yikes 3 lb on for me please knitwitch not sure why but having given the scales a kick i feel a bit better and will keep trying
    tessa
    on the brink...
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 17th May 17, 1:06 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I wonder if people don't mention it to me because I am male. It's not really a blokey thing is it and females may feel awkward saying it to a man. The people that really notice are more mature women.

Well done to all the losers this week and those not quite fortunate enough have a better week this week. You don't need that cake, chocolate really....aim for a banana instead You can do it
    Originally posted by CloughiesBrewerArmy
    I think you may well have a point there about male weightloss CBA, and also perhaps because guys tend to wear less fitted clothes than females so perhaps it's not as obvious? You've inspired me to go and fill up my fruit bowl (I've been sat here wanting to get some chocolate on my way home but I'm going to stay strong!)

All signed off now - thanks for asking
    Now if it wasn't for the plantar fasciitis and the front of thigh muscles screaming from a whole 10 mins of HIIT then I would be good to go
    That's fab news Mally, do you use any form of arch support in your shoes? I have plantar fasciitis and they help me enormously!

Over the last 4 days I've ditched the buggy when I had no food to carry and taken to the legs. I managed to walk slowly uphill from the house to the barn and back on day one which is about a quarter of a mile. This morning I walked quickly to the barn and back, I'm now doing it 3 times a day, I'm out of breath when I get there but no pain in my chest. For me it feels an improvement, but time will tell.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    That sounds like a major improvement already to me zafiro, when is your treadmill test booked for? That's an extra mile and half you're doing every day that you weren't doing before! My balance is also terrible so I've been practising standing on one leg whilst brushing my teeth or waiting for the kettle to boil (obviously holding onto the something when needed!) to try and improve it. I've only been doing it for a few days but fingers crossed I might see an improvement!

Breakfast: hot porridge with greek yogurt
    Lunch: cinnamon lamb mice with lentils, veggies and a mashed potato/carrot topping. I really struggle with making lunches so I'm trying to make extra dinner and take those as lunches instead!

Exercise: went for a walk before work and have so far got in 6,000 steps
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 17th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 27,301 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Blackberrycurved … 0/18
    CathA … 0/5
    Chocolatepennyfarthing … 0/7
    Cloth of Gold … 9.75/20
    CloughiesBrewerArmy … 4/6.5
    CRANKY40 … 3/10
    Doveling … +3/9
    Dumpling … 10/14
    Ellie99 … 5/14
    Frith … 0/14
    FurryBeastOz …9.6/13
    Gresleyrover … +0.8/7
    Jules81 … 10/20
    Karcher … 5/14
    Katkin … 7/14
    Knit Witch … 5/3
    MallyGirl … +1/6
    *Margaret* … 1/12
    Meekie … 3.74/8.8
    Muddles … 4/7
    Munchin … 0/14
    Pinknsparkly … 0/3.5
    Pop Up Pirate … 13/24
    Pretz … 12/10
    Sazzle13 … 1/7
    SIRENS … 2/14
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tammykitty … 6/10
    Tessie bear … 1/9
    TiredTrophy … +2/12
    Troll35 … 5/10
    Weewdy … 19.5/14
    Zafiro1984 … 14/20

10 st 2.79 lb
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    That's fab news Mally, do you use any form of arch support in your shoes? I have plantar fasciitis and they help me enormously!
    I have some heat moulded insoles that I get done at Sweatshop but I tend to have the new ones in the running shoes and then the older ones get relegated to my every day trainers. I suspect that I should have thrown the old ones away by now and they are probably doing more harm than good. Someone recommended Superfeet insoles so a pair of those was delivered today. Unfortunately I have to trim them to get them in the shoes so I won't be able to return them if they are no good.

Lunch: cinnamon lamb mice with lentils, veggies and a mashed potato/carrot topping. I really struggle with making lunches so I'm trying to make extra dinner and take those as lunches instead!
    ooh - no mice for me!!!!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th May 17, 6:23 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 37,780 Thanks
    Frith
    B - scrambled eggs, one piece of toast

L - hm parsnip soup

T - Dahl with rice and mango chutney
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 13,048 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Managed to stay on track so far today despite significant provocation. A client gave us a fiver to treat ourselves - cue a debate over what cake? Work is a nightmare, so I was sooooo close to asking for something totally indulgent.

But I managed to ask for Strawberries instead. And they were delicious. Lovely sweet Scottish Strawberries made all the nicer because I didn't feel guilty.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST May NSD = 13/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/6/17 £1226.18/£3,000, 40.88/41.37% of the year.
    • Sazzle13
    • By Sazzle13 17th May 17, 8:09 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Sazzle13
    Today I didn't stick to plan.
    Tomorrow is looking better.
    Breakfast: porridge
    Lunch: Leek and potato soup
    Dinner: Smoked haddock, new potatoes and veg

Looking at planting some veggies this weekend to help bring the costs down, can't wait to see how I get on
    I like looking at all the plans, give me ideas.
    I struggle with breakfast because I'm used to having a bacon sandwich on the way to work
    Lunches I like left overs or there's a few pasta salads I like.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th May 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    karcher
    Bit late weighing in but a tentative 1lb loss for me!

I say tentative as my stress levels have gone through the roof today and food is my current comfort
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning everyone

B: berries and FF greek yog, drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of seeds
    L: got to shop at lunchtime so will see what I find
    D: DH and DD out so I might make some houmous, carrot sticks etc for a picky dinner. If not it will be a single portion of something from the freezer that needs using up.

45 min dog walk - legs are still screaming from the 10 min HIIT session 2 days ago so I obviously used muscles I don't use for walking.
    Physio (from when I had tendon issue) called to say I still had one session left if I wanted it - I hadn't got around to it because of the eye issue. I said yes please - foot is now OK but I have plantar fasciitis in the other one. She is going to put me on the treadmill and do some gait analysis to see if my (lack of) technique is causing bits to break.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 18th May 17, 11:01 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I have some heat moulded insoles that I get done at Sweatshop but I tend to have the new ones in the running shoes and then the older ones get relegated to my every day trainers. I suspect that I should have thrown the old ones away by now and they are probably doing more harm than good. Someone recommended Superfeet insoles so a pair of those was delivered today. Unfortunately I have to trim them to get them in the shoes so I won't be able to return them if they are no good.

ooh - no mice for me!!!!

I have plantar fasciitis too and use scholl adjustable gel arch supports - although they don't sell them anymore (I have a stock of them!) - o dpn;t wear them much anymore though, only for long walks etc, not everyday.

I also only wear boots and shoes with good thick bouncy soles, and that makes more difference than any insoles.

I am going to physio for sprained ankles for hoping the exercises also help the plantar fasciitis.

Todays Meals
    B (on the go) - carton of pure orange and an apple
    L - chicken Soup
    D - Omelette and salad or mayb stuffed peppers.
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 18th May 17, 3:23 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    pinknsparkly

ooh - no mice for me!!!!

I'll have to look into those MallyGirl - I've always used the ones that you cut to size but something actually formed to my feet sounds much better. I had an NHS pair about 15 years but they were rock solid and soooooo uncomfortable!

And on the lamb mice! That was one of my worst ever typos - it makes me slightly queasy even thinking about it!! Though I'm sure it's probably a delicacy somewhere in the world
    • Frith
    • By Frith 18th May 17, 5:03 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 37,780 Thanks
    Frith
    B - porridge, blueberries, banana

L - scrambled eggs on toast (our hens are in overdrive!)

T - will be hm tuna pizza and baked beans
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 19th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    B: low carb granola, berries, skim
    L: something light to offset dinner
    D: LO quorn green curry I made too much of yesterday, LO sweet potato & lentil curry from freezer, LO chicken pathia takeaway from freezer, basmati rice. Maybe even a cider.

D: OH has 'had a hard week' and wants to go out for a curry. So now we will be having curry for lunch tomorrow too as I can't put the defrosted stuff back in the freezer

45 min dog walk in the rain.

The next few days are going to be bad - going out for dinner with DD and DH tomorrow. It is our wedding anniversary but DD gets to come too - will be Loch Fyne. Then on Monday it is my 50th birthday. Tuesday am is WI!
    Last edited by MallyGirl; 19-05-2017 at 4:50 PM.
    • CathA
    • By CathA 19th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    CathA
    Woo hoo at last! 1.4 lbs off, an actual proper loss at last. I've finally managed to get under the **** stone mark, so my change on a Thursday must be doing something right. ( says she whilst eating a chocolate biscuit!)
    Anyway I'm pleased, got a lot of coffee mornings/lunches out next week so here's hoping it stays that way.

Happy Friday everyone x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,270Posts Today

9,981Users online

Martin's Twitter