Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,662Posts
    • 26,485Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 3.5/3
Page 325
    • CathA
    • By CathA 18th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    CathA
    Sorry to hear you're not well, Lynnejk. Hope you're better soon. X
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 18th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Sorry Lynnejk I thought I had posted but I must have pulled out before finishing.

Sorry to hear about your recent health problems, stay warm and get better. Keep posting.

Regarding goats/ewe cheese - I can tolerate the small amount of cow's milk, butter and cream I consume it's just the cheese I have problems with. Apparently it's got a larger molecular structure than cow cheese and therefore doesn't pass through the gut wall so easily. Cooking with cow cheese alters the molecular structure and therefore it should be OK for me but I have such a violent reaction to uncooked cow cheese that I haven't the courage to try it cooked. I've only been like this for about five years, before then I think cheese was my main source of protein. I ate it most days especially the sort with the furry rind
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £29.55

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 18th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 48,532 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Afternoon all

Thanks for all the good wishes and support - hope soon to be back to 'normal'.

It was interesting to note that they use proper butter in hospital - even in the heart ward !

I am still really tired and no appetite as such yet, which I think is probably due to lack of taste atm. I am trying to concentrate on small portions of nutritious food and plenty of fluids. I will definitely get there

Hope you all have a great week
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=593.....APR=256.39/300
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=451.....APR=188.20/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=63.64
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=46....APR=14/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=394.22
    OS WL= -1/4 ......CC =0......Savings = £7600
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Apr 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    good to hear you sounding so positive LynneJK.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Apr 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    The other thing you could do is to have a cup of Cadbury's Highlights hot chocolate (Galaxy does one too I think). It's only 38 calories a cup and 4g of carbs. It's quite nice and gives you the sweet taste but without a lot of calories or carbs.
    Originally posted by Cloth of Gold
    I am another fan of Highlights - although I do put 1/3rd of a teaspoon of instant coffee in mine to make it a mocha otherwise I find it too sweet. Decaff would be fine for an evening pud replacement as you wouldn't tell the difference. Sometimes I just need something different than tea or water and I have cut out fizzy drinks.
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 18th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    Meekie
    Lynne, so sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. Hope you are managing to stay positive and I'll be thinking about you on the road to recovery. Hope your family are giving you extra tlc.

Mrs lurcher Walker- Thanks for sharing your story. I also have had a bmi over 25 for most of my adult life and its recently crept below 30 for the first time in ages. I felt like having a party to celebrate being overweight not obese! Wasn't write sure how to explain that to my leaner friends though! Working towards 25 now.

Like you I think it's helpful to have a lower carb low fat high veg diet, but I'm very uncomfortable with the very low carb and high fat combination. I also just don't like

And thanks to you all about your suggestions for my lodger. I don't mind cooking or eating low carb but she is almost zero carb, low fat and won't eat salad veg, mushrooms, anything with onions etc. I've given her lots of eggs but it's not much variety. I just feel its a bit demanding to join a family for four weeks and expect everyone to bend to your dietary requirements with no warning. And although pop up pirate may be right about everyone's eating patterns all over the world, there still seems to be quite a lot of pasta, Rice and bread in the shops so someone must be eating it !

Hope you all had a nice bank holiday weekend
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 18th Apr 17, 8:56 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    I am another fan of Highlights - although I do put 1/3rd of a teaspoon of instant coffee in mine to make it a mocha otherwise I find it too sweet. Decaff would be fine for an evening pud replacement as you wouldn't tell the difference. Sometimes I just need something different than tea or water and I have cut out fizzy drinks.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    That sounds interesting, I'll try it.

The other thing I'm going to try is Angel Delight made with unsweetend almond milk (only 13 calories per 100ml ). It might not thicken or it might taste weird but I though I would give it a try as it shouldn't be too many calories and I loved Angel Delight when I was a child.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 19th Apr 17, 8:01 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Meekie - Of course people eat bread rice and pasta as they have literally been rammed down our throats for years as 'healthy'. There was never anything wrong with these things when they were made at home years ago.
    Today, however, manufacturing and farming processes have created 'bad' products made with wheat that has no nutrients any more, rice that is high in arsenic and other not 'normal' ingredients.

Take homemade pasta eaten once a week, made with organic flours, freshly laid eggs and no additives, A pretty wholesome product containing nutrients the body needs and no additional rubbish.
    But today's pasta bought in shops doesn't resembled the original pasta in any way and that is what most people eat and think of when they say "pasta". It doesn't even contain eggs!

The same can be said for today's shop bought bread, which isn't anything like the bread of yesteryear with no health benefits whatsoever.

People eat them because that's what they're used to, that's what they are advised to, and that's all on offer at prices they want to pay and they eat them far too often, every single day.
    Many people don't cook or bake any more and so we rely on manufactured rubbish to fill the gap. Most of which is produced cheaply, economically and has 'profit' not health as it's main goal.

When losing weight and getting into new eating patterns, I do think it's a good idea to be conscious about health too and not just have the weight off as a goal, Otherwise the weight will go back on and health won't improve.

Low carb, low fat is damaging to health. What is the body using as fuel?
    The preferred fuel for the body, especially the brain is fat. For years we have been fed the line that fat is bad and many of us bought into it and went low fat all the way. Our bodies then had to use Carbs (sugar) as fuel, which isn't good for us especially as it messes with insulin production and the brain doesn't like it, leading to mental health issues like depression.

So take away carbs and fat, what is feeding the mitochondria? What is feeding the brain? What is helping all the nutrients to be absorbed?
    Yes, weight will be lost because there are hardly any fuel being consumed but the long term health effects of that aren't bright.

As for the lodger, have you asked her what she eats at home?
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Apr 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 10,727 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    As always PUP, I completely agree.

I'm going to fast every Monday starting next week. Liquid only, plenty of it. Help me get into ketosis.

Today's meals look like this;

B - Bulletproof coffee
    L - Salad
    D - Bunless burger with cheese, jalapenos served with sugar-snap peas and asparagus.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 19th Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 27,860 Thanks
    tessie bear
    minus 1 lb for me please knit witch

hope everyone had a fun easter
    on the brink...
    • jules81
    • By jules81 19th Apr 17, 2:12 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    jules81
    I lost 3 lbs last week forgot to update sorry. I was 22.10 and will weigh in again on fri.

I am TRYING to eat more protein. I have ME/CFS and wheat seems to make my tiredness worse.

1 slice Corn beef-at the mental health unit. No eggs needed to go shopping

4 slice of bacon ( 2 with fat removed ) and salad

1 x skinny cappuccino, water and black coffee

PUP it intreasting reading what you are saying hun. I have only just ( a few days ago) upped my protein and am still tweaking my diet, but go info for someone like me who's so new to this-thank you .

Xxxx
    Last edited by jules81; 19-04-2017 at 2:23 PM.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 19th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I don't normally suffer from feeling hungry but this lunchtime was an exception. I ate some prawns and salmon in a stir fry - ok there were not many prawns just the uncooked ones from yesterday and the salmon was about the size and depth of a matchbox and I only used 5 spice as a flavouring. I've moved out of the kitchen away from the food but I'll have to venture in there again soon as the fire needs some more wood adding. Then I'm off to the veg plot to plant some fruit bushes in the hope I'll forget about food - tummy's rumbling

• Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 20th Apr 17, 7:38 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    I lost 3 lbs last week forgot to update sorry. I was 22.10 and will weigh in again on fri.

I am TRYING to eat more protein. I have ME/CFS and wheat seems to make my tiredness worse.

1 slice Corn beef-at the mental health unit. No eggs needed to go shopping

4 slice of bacon ( 2 with fat removed ) and salad

1 x skinny cappuccino, water and black coffee

PUP it intreasting reading what you are saying hun. I have only just ( a few days ago) upped my protein and am still tweaking my diet, but go info for someone like me who's so new to this-thank you .

Xxxx
    Originally posted by jules81
    I too suffered from ME. Awful awful thing and I thought I was doomed to a life of being in bed, unable to think straight, too weak to do anything, my personality changed, depression...it is...was just awful.

I had other conditions too (MS, hypothyroidism etc) and just thought "Its just bad luck I was born this way" but when my husband was diagnosed with RA it triggered something in me.
    I started wondering why. I have auto-immune issues, he has auto-immune issues. Other people in the family have issues such as depression, autism, eczema to name a few and I just thought "There is something going wrong here. We were not all born this way"

My original research had only come up with diet as being the secret to better health but then I discovered that around 40% of the population have a mutated gene, called the MTHFR gene mutation which gives us a predisposition to certain medical conditions.
    However, it does not mean the conditions are definite because changing our diets can stop the gene from expressing in the wrong way.

It's quite a complex issue but basically, if you have this mutated gene you are more susceptible to stress and toxins due to a decrease in glutathione. The methylation pathway is crucial to glutathione production. Low levels of glutathione are found in people with most chronic illnesses.
    The diet should be geared towards keeping it under control and that means paying attention to everything you eat and all environmental toxins,

I started out and did the following.
    No Sugar
    No Grains (no refined carbs)
    No Dairy except butter
    No Soy (soy is in many items inc many chocolates)
    No Legumes including peanuts
    No processed foods (inc bagged salads)
    No fruit juices
    NO cooking oils or spreads such as sunflower or vegetable oil
    AVOID any FOLIC ACID

I added more healthy fats, buy as much organic as I can afford, try to eat as many different veggies I can each day even in small amounts, limit fruit to one or two pieces a day if any, eat more organic nuts, and pay careful attention to any additives in things such as supplements. Many doctor prescribed vitamins are not good for MTHFR gene mutation.
    I take omega 3 in triglyceride form (missing from diets)
    B12 (must be Methylcobalamin if you have chronic illness)
    Folate (which is the natural form of folic acid)
    Magnesium (we can't get enough from diets anymore)
    Vit D3 with K2 (in liquid drops)
    Glutathione

I also pay careful attention to other toxins such as what I put on my skin, medications, household cleaners and smells etc
    Its difficult at first but as you feel better and get used to it, it does get easier.

I have managed to give up all my meds, I am no longer 'ill'. I can think straight and have my life back. I've also managed to lose 2 1/2 stones without exercise so far.

MTHFR does not have to ruin health.
    Check out anything on MTHFR for more in depth information.
    Last edited by Pop Up Pirate; 20-04-2017 at 7:41 AM.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 10,727 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning all,

B - Bulletproof coffee
    L - BBQ pork with homemade coleslaw and steamed greens
    D - Grilled tuna steak with steamed greens and tons of butter

Drinks - Black coffee or water
    Exercise - Might go for a run tonight
    Snacks - I've a bit of LCHF tart in the fridge.
    NSD (5/15)
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 20th Apr 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Good morning all,

B - Bulletproof coffee
    L - BBQ pork with homemade coleslaw and steamed greens
    D - Grilled tuna steak with steamed greens and tons of butter

Exercise - Might go for a run tonight
    Snacks - I've a bit of LCHF tart in the fridge.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    What is bulletproof coffee?

• Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 20th Apr 17, 10:00 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    What is bulletproof coffee?
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I wondered that and so I googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_Coffee
    • Muddles
    • By Muddles 21st Apr 17, 7:07 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Muddles
    I didn't actually log in my weight last week due to visitors although I did STS. Quite surprised this week to have lost 1lb. I have felt rotten this week with an awful chesty cough and didnt think my food choices had been brilliant so surprised at a loss.

Anyone got any advice about fitbits? I had a birthday recently and am debating whether to spend some birthday cash on one.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 21st Apr 17, 8:59 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 6,905 Thanks
    Doveling
    STS for me this week.

Lynnjk - look after yourself x

PUP - your posts are so interesting.
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st Apr 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 10,727 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Bulletproof coffee is made like so; in a blender, make a standard black coffee. I then add butter, MCT oil and a splash of double cream then blend. Surprisingly delish and high in all the right fats and helps send me on my way to ketosis. If you do try it, you really do need to use a blender. Otherwise the oil and butter make a layer on top of the coffee.

B - Bulletproof coffee
    L - Salmon flakes and salad
    D - TBC, I'm going to a boxing dinner so it'll no doubt be a set 3 course menu.

NSD (5/15)
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 21st Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,091 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Anyone got any advice about fitbits? I had a birthday recently and am debating whether to spend some birthday cash on one.
    Originally posted by Muddles
    I started with a Garmin vivofit as there was an offer at Tesco. I now have a running watch that I am happy to wear all the time and it measures steps so when the vivofit battery dies I probably won't replace it - at the moment I wear both!

I have found that measuring steps has really highlighted the days when I haven't moved much during the working day. I aim for an average of 10,000 steps a day over the week but I usually have to do more at the weekend to make up for lighter days in the week. I do about 5000 on the morning dog walk but then sit at a desk all day, at home.

These devices give you information - it is still up to you what you do with that info. If I am really down on my steps I make a conscious decision to walk to town or to the co op instead of driving. Before the vivofit I would not have done that as the awareness wasn't there so it has had a really beneficial effect for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,286Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• RT @ctsi_uk: Section 75 credit card protection may fail due to payment processing loophole - shoppers beware @MartinSLewis https://t.co/8uQ?

• Follow Martin