Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,686Posts
    • 26,742Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Page 311
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,742 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Good evening folks.

After putting on well over a stone in weight in the last 3 months, i really need to do something about it now and if you'll have me, joining in here may give me the focus I need.

I think the next starting date is the end of March which suits me well as I have lots of unhealthy food which I need to use up...it's completely against the grain for me to throw away food for a variety or reasons, and as there is only me here, only me can eat it

So if you'll have me I want to lose 14 pounds...I've put on more than that but I need to be realistic to start with. I've never been this heavy and am quite disgusted with myself for putting on so much weight

My problem is I comfort eat, trouble is I've been doing this for too long and it is horribly evident now ...I have a wardrobe of clothes I can't fit in and so have resorted to wearing baggy cheap jogging bottoms from Primarni..a downward spiral and one i must put a stop to ...(I can't even fit in my work supplied work trousers and it makes my working day even more uncomfortable than is the norm because by the end of the day my stomach hurts so much).

Apologies for the waffle but hoping I can join the next O/S weight loss season and will do my utmost to lose those 14 pounds

Thanks
    Originally posted by karcher
    Jump right in karcher and I will add you to the challenge starting 27th March!
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 6,622 Thanks
    karcher
    Jump right in karcher and I will add you to the challenge starting 27th March!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Thanks Knit Witch.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • troll35
    • By troll35 18th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    troll35
    Can you put me down for 10lb in the next cycle please :-)
    Whilst I won't have made my 12lb target in the last round I am pleased with the 8lb i have lost, which has resulted in a drop in jeans size and a flatter belly! I no longer look 4 months pregnant lol! My eating habits are much much better, as are my portion sizes and I'm drinking far more water (and going to the loo lots too).
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Knit witch

Can I join the next challenge please. I managed to add 2 stone over the last year and similarly to Karcher I'm now wearing baggy bottoms as the go to look . I will start with 14lbs which will make a world of difference.

Thanks

M
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Yay. STS and I lost 1/2 inch off the waist. (Although official weigh in is tomorrow)

Really pleased. Particularly as I had a 2 day blow out at the end.

Can I go down for 8lb again for the next challenge please. I may change that if I think I'm getting too low - depends how the change in fat/muscle ratio shows up.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST April: NSD = 11/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 967.18/3,000, 32.24/32.88% of the year.
    • *Margaret*
    • By *Margaret* 19th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    *Margaret*
    Knitwitch, could you put me down for 12lbs in the next challenge, please? I may actually manage it this time! Thank you for running the thread, my weight loss has been slow but reading how well everyone else has done has really helped
    Save
    Save
    • Muddles
    • By Muddles 19th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Muddles
    Can I also join the next challenge KnitWitch and if you can put me down for 7lbs please . I have not been posting the past few weeks as lost motivation slightly although I have only put on 1lb of the weight I lost so not too bleak. I am hoping the next challenge will be easier due to the weather warming up and being more active etc. We can but hope
    • CathA
    • By CathA 19th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 3,941 Thanks
    CathA
    I'm going with the weigh in on Friday, so I'm calling a STS. We'll draw a veil over any other weigh ins, methinks!
    I am picking at bits a lot more, probably due to stopping smoking. (Mostly) It was difficult as when my hubby came home if I knew he had some it made me twitchy. Sometimes I stole one when he wasn't looking and had it when her went to work. Anyway the doctor has said I must stop as on my xray I have lungs older than me! My hubby had some tobacco and roll up papers in the cupboard so I cut up the papers and threw them away so I can't have any of them either. My hubby has now decided he's giving up so that's good for us both.
    I'm not too worried about putting on a few pounds as stopping smoking is a much bigger health benefit than being thinner. I'm still over a stone lighter than before I started the " not on a diet" diet so that's good.

Happy Sunday everyone x
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 19th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,067 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I am picking at bits a lot more, probably due to stopping smoking. (Mostly) It was difficult as when my hubby came home if I knew he had some it made me twitchy. Sometimes I stole one when he wasn't looking and had it when her went to work. Anyway the doctor has said I must stop as on my xray I have lungs older than me! My hubby had some tobacco and roll up papers in the cupboard so I cut up the papers and threw them away so I can't have any of them either. My hubby has now decided he's giving up so that's good for us both.
    Originally posted by CathA
    Many folk have a 'diet buddy' for support. You now have a 'non-smoking buddy' I'm sure it will help.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices 43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget 3650 (10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year 13.89
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 19th Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    This sounds like a good idea. Can you put me down for 20 lbs please?
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Mar 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    OK day today.

B - Slow Cooker breakfast

L - Ginsters Pasty (snack at about 1600 as I hadn't planned properly. Not ideal)

D - SC Chicken & Rice Provencal, Healthy HM Rice Pudding.

Did a weights session and managed a couple of 1min blocks at 15kmph on the treadmill. It was easier after a week at altitude. I need to keep pushing it. Only just over a month to my race and I'm still SLOW.

I must go to running club tomorrow evening. I have PT first thing as well.
    *** Debt Free***
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 6,622 Thanks
    karcher

Did a weights session and managed a couple of 1min blocks at 15kmph on the treadmill. It was easier after a week at altitude. I need to keep pushing it. Only just over a month to my race and I'm still SLOW.

I must go to running club tomorrow evening. I have PT first thing as well.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Blimey 15kmph is really fast!
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • CloughiesBrewerArmy
    • By CloughiesBrewerArmy 19th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    CloughiesBrewerArmy
    11st 7lb a loss of 1lb.

Not hopeful for next week - went awaay on Friday night and came back a couple of hours ago and whilst I kept to my diet and avoided all the bad things around (and boy did people try and get me to eat rubbish!) I had to have semi skimmed milk instead of skimmed, white bread instead of brown bread and they kept feeding me even when i'd had enough, so based on the milk and bread and portion sizes, I will be going up next Friday, but not down.

Still, 6 months on since my last chocolate, cake, crisps etc - If I can survive the last two days with major junk foodies by still eating healthy minus the milk/bread which still wasn't that bad, I can survive anything!

I just don't get why people don't understand why I don't want all their junk food - they seemed offended!
    Weight Loss - Start (25th September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 11st 2lbs (12 May 2017)

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed

New Target - To Lose More....no time frame....just lose it!
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 19th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    Has anyone tried unsweetened almond milk. It has only 13 calories per 100ml - quite a bit less than skimmed milk even. It takes some getting used to in coffee but if you can stick with it it becomes ok. In something such as cereal I really quite like it.

The other tip I have is to buy some 0% or 2% Greek yoghurt and stir in some stewed fruit (blackberries work well but you could use raspberries, apricots, strawberries etc.) with a little Splenda. I much prefer this to the bought low-fat yoghurts, which in any case often contain quite a bit of sugar. It makes a nice pudding and doesn't seem like a 'diet food' at all.
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 19th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 10,752 Thanks
    Sue14
    I don't know how, but I've lost another 1lb this week. Can I please be put down for 12lbs for the next challenge.
    Total weight loss 30.5 lbs
    Weight loss challenge 13.5/12
    January Grocery Challenge 23.61/100

• FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 20th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Blimey 15kmph is really fast!
    Originally posted by karcher
    Can only do it for about a minute. Then I jump off for 20 secs. I have to jump back on then or the machine switches itself off, and its not time to recover so it becomes 45 secs, then 30 But its a start.
    *** Debt Free***
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 20th Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Down another 2lbs today.
    It certainly has paid off ditching the calorie counting and the low fat nonsense.

B - Fried in lard bacon, eggs, 100% meat sausage, mushrooms and spinach in butter.

L - Salmon & 10 veg salad with HM mayo (all olive oil)

D- Roast Pork, crackling, cabbage, broccoli, carrot and swede mash fatty gravy.

Snack - High fat live culture yoghurt
    Drinks - Usual stuff
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 11,106 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone.

B - Coffee with butter and MCT Oil
    L - Salad or something from the canteen
    D - Chicken with veg

Drinks - coffee or water

This week I am going to trial using the work canteen for lunch. 2 gets you a big container from a buffet. Probably go for a salad
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Morning all - WI is not till tomorrow for me.

Yesterday was a bit of a breakthrough as DH came for a run with me. Annoyingly, since he is overweight and hasn't tried since last September, he is still faster/stronger than me but it did mean I sped up a bit. I then recovered fairly quickly from our 7k whereas he moaned quietly all day and fell asleep on the sofa at 9:30pm. The stairs were a challenge for him this morning so I think this might have spurred him into coming out again.

B: low carb granola, berries, skim
    L: some sort of salad/veg thing
    D: kedgeree

40 min brisk dog walk
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 20th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    The only 7K I might do is calories consumed in a day.

I weighed myself to today and was 2lb heaver than the last time I weighed, about a month ago, which was depressing. I'm going to try hard from today and so far haven't eaten anything and drunk only water. I know you're supposed to have breakfast but if you're not hungry I don't see the point and if I do have breakfast it doesn't seem to help me eat less later.

Someone came round this morning to quote for a bathroom refurb and cleaning the bathroom beforehand and then discussing the refurb with them took up some time and has kept my mind off food - and it's nearly lunchtime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,423Posts Today

8,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin