Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,686Posts
    • 26,743Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December , so they run Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep and Oct-Dec.)
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
Page 310
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Just had my xray result - no tb or anything else to worry about. Gotta have another xray in 6 weeks as there's still a bit of infection hanging about, to check it's all gone and I don't need any more anti biotics. Good news!

Happy Thursday everyone x
    Originally posted by CathA
    That's great news Cath!
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Allotrope 0/18
    Blackberrycurved 10/14
    CathA +1/4
    CloughiesBrewerArmy 9/12
    Cool Runnings 6.6/13
    CRANKY40 1.5/5
    Debra 0/24
    Dincanada 6.5/20
    Doveling 5/10
    Dumpling 17/14
    Eleven_Eleven 0/24
    Frith 9/21
    FrugalinShropshire 0/12
    FurryBeastOz 10/8
    Gresleyrover 3.6/10
    Guccigoo 0/7
    Hermionesaver 11/24
    Horse76 7/14
    Jjef 1/12
    Jules81 5.5/15
    Juliejim 2.5/14
    Katkin 7/16
    Littlefrugalcottage 0/16
    Lynnejk 1/4
    Magicdance 0/28
    MallyGirl 2/6
    *Margaret* 9/12
    Meekie 9.9/17.6
    Millymouse 9/12
    Missyp123 1.5/14
    Mookiepook 2/12
    Muddles 6/12
    Need2bthrifty 7.5/10
    Nozama 2/3
    Pop Up Pirate 22/20
    Pretz 23/14
    Redlaces 3.5/12
    Rolandtheroadie 11/24
    Room512 4/7
    S-annie 0/14
    Savingmore 0/12
    Sequeena 15/24
    SIRENS 5/9
    Slowdown 9.5/14
    Sue14 12.5/12
    Suki1964 2/14
    Tammykitty 3/18
    Tessie bear 1/6
    Thepennyfarthings 2/12
    TiredTrophy 4.5/6
    Troll35 8/12
    Weewdy 31.5/20
    Zafiro1984 11.5/14
    *zippy* 0/7

23 st 8.10 lb

CathA 0/0
    Pop Up Pirate 0/24
    Weewdy 0/14
    Zafiro1984 0/20

0 st 0 lb
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 4,368 Posts
    • 27,989 Thanks
    tessie bear
    could i jump on for the next challenge please even though it looks like i have been running behind for this one

i will have 9 lb please and will see if i can get going tessa
    on the brink...
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    could i jump on for the next challenge please even though it looks like i have been running behind for this one

i will have 9 lb please and will see if i can get going tessa
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Got you Tessa!
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 16th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Afternoon all. Hope you are all having a healthy day.

I'm beat. Run, Weights and then 2hrs of 'Nordic Walking'. More like Nordic route marching. Ice, snow and mud, plus mountains. I'm shortly going for a hot bath.

Tonight I feel a carb fest coming on - 65th birthday in the group I'm with, and there is cake. Damn the calories.

B - Porridge, Bread and cheese

L - Last of spanish omelette. (I had a bite of tartiflette last night and that was it)

D - Leftover Chilli with salad (I've turned down the baked potato)

Snacks - Protein shake x 2, Chocolate Grazer, CAKE to come.

Still. I'm showing over 1000cal exercise surplus today so should be fine.

Really impressed by some of the amazing weight losses this quarter.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST April: NSD = 11/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 967.18/3,000, 32.24/32.88% of the year.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 16th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 15,884 Thanks
    dumpling
    Hi Knit Witch, can I please join the next challenge with a 14lb target. This week I have STS again, I am not actively dieting at the moment just trying to maintain for a week or so.
    May GC - 202/200
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi Knit Witch, can I please join the next challenge with a 14lb target. This week I have STS again, I am not actively dieting at the moment just trying to maintain for a week or so.
    Originally posted by dumpling
    You've been added dumpling
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 4,368 Posts
    • 27,989 Thanks
    tessie bear
    many thanks knitwitch tessa
    on the brink...
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th Mar 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Big mistake with the cake last night. It kicked off the sweet craving. So Chocolate Mousse cake (delicious) was followed by half a Cadburys WholeNut bar and four squares of orange dark chocolate.

This morning I had my porridge ok, but then succumbed to croissant with strawberry jam and pain with salami and cheese.

Need to get a grip fast.

Ran into town and am going to the gym. But won't be going skiing - definitely overdid it on the glutes yesterday. I'm waddling.
    *** Debt Free***
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,116 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

B - Coffee
    L - Homemade cream of chicken and broccoli soup
    D - Omelette with spinach and cheese

Drinks - black coffee and water
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Weight has started to come down again, It seems to have turned the corner because when I came out of hosp I probably was dehydrated as my weight dropped by 5lb. It shot up again once home and drinking but now is slowly getting back on track, I've 1.75lb to lose before my weigh-in on Monday to bring me to the point where I was when discharged. I'll be pleased if I get there.

The husband (on sneaky diet) had a really low cal dessert last night, sugarfree jelly with fat free yogurt and berries stirred through it. I was wondering if anyone has other really low cal dessert ideas they could share?

Lunch 2 scrambled eggs, low cal spray, mushrooms and banana afterwards
    Tea:- venison cut into thin strips, stir-fried quickly, with ordinarily cooked vegetables, probably green beans, asparagus and sprouting broccoli. (asparagus and sp broccoli from veg plot, beans from freezer from last year's crop)
    Pudding??
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices 43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget 3650 (10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year 13.89
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Today's full checkup at the optician has confirmed I have a cataract. It has got noticeably worse in less than 2 weeks since initial diagnosis - thankfully I have BUPA. I am seeing a surgeon for an initial consult next week to see what the options are.

This news made me want to go and buy something really unhealthy as a treat for lunch but when it came to it I just couldn't ignore the numbers on the packets so I got a nice box of sushi instead.

I will have a Strongbow or 2 tonight though. DD was off sick again today so it will be a quiet evening in with no band ferrying to do
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2,025 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    The husband (on sneaky diet) had a really low cal dessert last night, sugarfree jelly with fat free yogurt and berries stirred through it. I was wondering if anyone has other really low cal dessert ideas they could share?
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I am not a dessert person but Eton mess can be made the healthy way - crumble a meringue nest into big chunks and add low fat yogurt/fromage frais/even squirty cream and plenty of berries. Not low sugar but quite low cal/low fat
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 17th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Today's full checkup at the optician has confirmed I have a cataract. It has got noticeably worse in less than 2 weeks since initial diagnosis - thankfully I have BUPA. I am seeing a surgeon for an initial consult next week to see what the options are.

This news made me want to go and buy something really unhealthy as a treat for lunch but when it came to it I just couldn't ignore the numbers on the packets so I got a nice box of sushi instead.

I will have a Strongbow or 2 tonight though. DD was off sick again today so it will be a quiet evening in with no band ferrying to do
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Sorry about the cataract but it sounds as though it can be solved quickly!
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 17th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Hope you get it sorted quickly mallygirl. Well done on the sushi. I haven't had bad news today, and I've been pigging. Final dinner out tonight. I'll try to be good. Otherwise, back on track tomorrow. I've packed my travel snack kit already.

Liking the Eton Mess idea. If you can get vanilla Quark that works well too with it.

Stirring melted chocolate into Quark makes a passable chocolate mousse too.
    *** Debt Free***
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 17th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Thanks Mallygirl and FurryBeastOz, I'd forgotten about Eaton Mess and never gave melted chocolate into quark a thought. I'll make some meringues tomorrow.

Slipped up a bit today, had a Tia Maria after tea. Love the stuff and it's the same bottle that I bought for Christmas, just a tiny bit left.

I must look at portion size I've already changed to a smaller plate but I think it is being filled too much. I do miss volume on a plate and I eat it so quickly, habit of a lifetime brought on by the constant threat of the phone ringing and having to leave everything and go out, it's a hard habit to change now we are retired.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices 43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget 3650 (10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year 13.89
    • *Margaret*
    • By *Margaret* 18th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    *Margaret*
    Morning all

Sorry you've been poorly Zafiro and about your cataract Mallygirl

I've lost 2lb this week. It also means I see the back of one number completely, I never want to see it again! So all in all I am very pleased, starting to think I may finally be getting somewhere with this weight loss malarkey.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 18th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Its an STS for me this week. I seem to have lost my focus this challenge, hoping to get it back for the next one.
    Knitwitch sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you're feeling better soon. Can you put me down for 7lb for the next challenge please
    • katkin
    • By katkin 18th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    katkin
    Its an STS for me this week. I seem to have lost my focus this challenge, hoping to get it back for the next one.
    Knitwitch sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you're feeling better soon. Can you put me down for 7lb for the next challenge please
    Originally posted by gresleyrover
    I'm the same, I've really not done too well with this challenge - up and down like a yoyo

Woke up from a dream of eating Chinese food scales say STS

Now I want Chinese food
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,629 Thanks
    karcher
    Good evening folks.

After putting on well over a stone in weight in the last 3 months, i really need to do something about it now and if you'll have me, joining in here may give me the focus I need.

I think the next starting date is the end of March which suits me well as I have lots of unhealthy food which I need to use up...it's completely against the grain for me to throw away food for a variety or reasons, and as there is only me here, only me can eat it

So if you'll have me I want to lose 14 pounds...I've put on more than that but I need to be realistic to start with. I've never been this heavy and am quite disgusted with myself for putting on so much weight

My problem is I comfort eat, trouble is I've been doing this for too long and it is horribly evident now ...I have a wardrobe of clothes I can't fit in and so have resorted to wearing baggy cheap jogging bottoms from Primarni..a downward spiral and one i must put a stop to ...(I can't even fit in my work supplied work trousers and it makes my working day even more uncomfortable than is the norm because by the end of the day my stomach hurts so much).

Apologies for the waffle but hoping I can join the next O/S weight loss season and will do my utmost to lose those 14 pounds

Thanks
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,005Posts Today

12,808Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin