Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,662Posts
    • 26,488Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 3.5/3
Page 307
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 26,488 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Morning all!

B: low carb granola, berries, skim
    L: veggie stir fry probably
    D: stir fry using up the LO roast beef from earlier in the week.

40 min brisk dog walk - the sun was really bright but low this morning, blinding me in my good eye so I didn't see the dogs coming down the other side of the street. Kira did and pulled me over lunging at them Now have a very bashed knee and a hole in the heel of my hand right where I rest it to use the mouse. Not impressed. I picked myself up and did the walk as the dogs were all fired up by this time but my knee has stiffened up now.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    Ouch! I hope you recover quickly Mally
    OS Weight Loss 3.5/3
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 26,488 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    great to see cranky and dumpling posting... cranky i hope the funeral went as well as these things can....dumpling i have heared about red and green days hope they work for you

safe to say my weight loss has gone into reverse but i am still struggling on hoping for a break through

take care tessa
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Sorry Tessie Bear - is there anything you can do to change it back around?

Please don't laugh.

I decided to make myself a vegetable stir fry for lunch - my first ever stir fry.
    After reading the previous helpful posts by MallyGirl, Pop up Pirate and TiredTrophy and a search through the fridge I started with a small amount of olive oil, added half an onion and sliced mushrooms followed by broccoli, red pepper cut into strips, a few peas and some chopped up asparagus stalks (we ate the heads last night)

Now to make it tasty, I used black pepper, a bit of lime juice, and then I was stumped. Brain wave - I found a small pot of 'roast potato flavouring' I'm not sure how old it was but decided to give it a go as I had nothing to lose. The taste was ok, I've tasted worse when my DH decided to cook on my return from hospital and that was 3yrs ago.

So I've just been to Sain***, played safe and bought ready made stir fry sachets only 50p each. I'll have another go tonight - still excited.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Good luck zafiro!
    OS Weight Loss 3.5/3
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 26,488 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I think I may need to drop out of the challenges for the moment (I will still run them for the rest of you though!), weight, stress, panic all over the show - currently either in a fog where nothing registers or bursting into tears and the drop of anything at all!

Telephone appointment with the Doc later today, possibly followed by seeing them in person next week (I need 2 days notice of an appointment in order to book the volunteer car drivers!)
    OS Weight Loss 3.5/3
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,348 Posts
    • 27,882 Thanks
    tessie bear
    sorry to hear your suffering knitwitch try and get an appointment asap so they can get you back on an even keel i hope it gets better for you sharpish...thankyou for your concern about my puny efforts i suspect its being a lady of a certain age weight is harder to shift

mally i hope you are ok that must have been a horrible shock as well as the injuries

think we could all do with a group hug tessa
    on the brink...
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,348 Posts
    • 27,882 Thanks
    tessie bear
    zafiro aldi do sachets of such as blackbean sauce and sweet and sour along with loads of others for 39p...cant be many calories in as there aint much in the pack hth tessa
    on the brink...
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 9th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 11,662 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    MallyGirl ouch. Naughty dogs.

Knitwitch (((hugs))) Hope the Dr was able to help. At least you have asked for it now which is a start.

DH has changed the meal plan for tomorrow. He fancies steak and chips before I go away. Not a problem if I do the intended run and weights session. Ive already offered to take the sweeties for my coffee with a friend - Butternut Squash Brownies to the rescue

The rest of the day will be spent burning calories running around like a blue ar*ed fly packing for an oh my god o'clock start on Saturday morning.

I'll be limited for internet when I'm away, and I'm also planning to indulge slightly. Hope I burn it all off skiing.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST March : NSD = 15/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 £566.71/£3,000, 18.89/24.66% of the year.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Mar 17, 11:36 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,839 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    zafiro aldi do sachets of such as blackbean sauce and sweet and sour along with loads of others for 39p...cant be many calories in as there aint much in the pack hth tessa
    Thanks and I'll go and have a look in Lidl, the nearest Aldi is 22miles away. I tried the sweet chilli and ginger tonight, used quarter of the sauce, worked out at 52cals, and very tasty it was too. Just worked out what good value for calories you get with a stir fry, loads of veggies and a smaller amount of meat - it's got to help the weight.

Knit Witch:- Hope things turn the corner soon for you.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £34.55

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 10th Mar 17, 6:04 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 5,348 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Lost 2lbs

Really pleased.

Scan this morning.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Mar 17, 6:42 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 11,662 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Another 1lb gone here Won't weigh in now until I get back.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST March : NSD = 15/15
    Goals - Weight loss 4.6/23lbs from 1st Jan 17
    GC To 1/4/17 £566.71/£3,000, 18.89/24.66% of the year.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 10th Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 1,575 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Please don't laugh.

I decided to make myself a vegetable stir fry for lunch - my first ever stir fry.
    After reading the previous helpful posts by MallyGirl, Pop up Pirate and TiredTrophy and a search through the fridge I started with a small amount of olive oil, added half an onion and sliced mushrooms followed by broccoli, red pepper cut into strips, a few peas and some chopped up asparagus stalks (we ate the heads last night)

Now to make it tasty, I used black pepper, a bit of lime juice, and then I was stumped. Brain wave - I found a small pot of 'roast potato flavouring' I'm not sure how old it was but decided to give it a go as I had nothing to lose. The taste was ok, I've tasted worse when my DH decided to cook on my return from hospital and that was 3yrs ago.

So I've just been to Sain***, played safe and bought ready made stir fry sachets only 50p each. I'll have another go tonight - still excited.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Great that you had a go at it. It gets easier over time, especially when you have the right ingredients in stock.
    Coconut oil has a nice flavour, is a good healthy fat and is a very good base for a stir fry.
    Ginger, garlic and chilli give nice flavour too, so once you have all those in to start with, you're on your way to having a very flavourful, fresh stir fry.

Just as a matter of interest, here is a list of ingredients in a typical stir fry sauce from the supermarkets.

Water, Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Dark Soy Sauce (6%) [Water, Salt, Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Defatted Soya Bean Flakes, Colour (Plain Caramel), Yeast Extract, Spirit Vinegar, Wheat], Onion Pur!e (5%), Ginger Pur!e (4.5%), Modified Maize Starch, Spring Onion (3%), Garlic Pur!e (2%), Garlic Powder (2%), Red Chilli Paste (1%) [Red Chilli Peppers, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Acetic Acid)], Toasted Sesame Oil, Yeast Extract Paste, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Colour (Plain Caramel)

They contain plenty of ingredients that you don't want, especially if you're on a weight loss diet.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 10th Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 15,489 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

Sorry to hear you are not feeling great Knit Witch, hope you soon get some help xx Thank you for running this challenge, I for one really appreciate it.

Glad to hear your stirfry experiment went well zafiro, I am sure you will continue to make up some great dishes you can enjoy.

Have a great holiday FBO and I hope you have a really enjoyable time.

Good luck with your scan TiredTrophy and well done on the weight loss too.

Todays menu looks like this:

b - scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms and tinned plum tomatoes
    l - wholemeal roll filled with turkey and salad
    d - it's my daughter's 17th birthday and she wants Chinese takeaway so I will attempt to make the best choice from the menu, probably beef in black bean sauce.

Hope you all have a great day and make healthy choices xx
    January GC £440.95/£450
    February GC £710/£440
    April GC £433/£500
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 10,762 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all!

B - Coffee with MCT Oil and cream
    L - Chicken, bacon and avocado salad
    D - Chicken with mozzarella in tomato sauce with a side of steamed greens

I've still got some chicken left in the fridge along with some greens so that'll do for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

Next weeks meal will be as cheap as possible. I think soup for lunch and an omelette for dinner. I'll be scanning here for MSE suggestions.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 10th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Thanks for the well wishes. I think I pulled my neck when I fell too - I didn't notice at the time as the knee was so sore. This morning there was more dog drama as we met an off lead spaniel (all dogs are supposed to be on lead at all times where we walk). It launched at my 2 who reacted as badly as expected whilst I yelled for the owner to come and remove their dog. She was not quick to do so and I ended up holding my 2 snarly lunging dogs on very short leads, backed into a bush whilst the spaniel kept trying to attack them. Her dog was eventually removed and a nice man came and held one of mine while I calmed down a bit. This is when I noticed the pain in the neck. I seem to be falling apart.

DH is going to take DD to tonight's gig in London which is a bit of a relief. I think I will try and find a nice bit of fish for dinner and maybe even have a bath (very rare) and an early night.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 10th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 4,348 Posts
    • 27,882 Thanks
    tessie bear
    pop up pirate im sure im missing something but i dont find the ingreds in that sauce particularly offensive which would concern you ?
    tessa
    on the brink...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 10th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 687 Posts
    • 5,348 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Scan found nothing!
    Which is good....nothing scarey there ...and bad.....why does it hurt?

Sun is shining......I had lunch on the balcony and I am about to have real tea not the continental insipid floor sweepings....
    • pretz
    • By pretz 10th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    pretz
    Morning all

I've managed to lose 4lb this week mainly due to running around like a mad person but we are on holiday next weekend so slightly scared I'm going to gain, so this week I'll be working extra hard to shift some more before going away.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 25,088 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    pop up pirate im sure im missing something but i dont find the ingreds in that sauce particularly offensive which would concern you ?
    tessa
    I'm guessing the glucose-fructose syrup for starters. I tend to avoid stuff with that as an ingredient. If you were cooking your own meal just using spices for instance, you'd be highly unlikely to chuck a load of sugar or sweetener in...
    http://www.eufic.org/en/whats-in-food/article/what-is-glucose-fructose-syrup

As it's the second ingredient on the list it means it's the second highest component.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 10th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4,348 Posts
    • 27,882 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i must admit to putting a bit of sugar into tomato sauce as find they can be a bit acidic....i find with the stir fry sauces they weigh about 120g we split that 4 ways so having 30gm each i think the fructose is a small price to pay for the veg that the kids eat under the sauce dont think mine would eat a plain stirfry...you take your choice i suppose
    tessa
    on the brink...
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 7,020 Thanks
    katkin
    I'm making satay sauce and marinade for tomorrow which calls for brown sugar in the recipe

It's a weekend treat meal, but sugar is sugar is sugar! Of course I'm not counting the calories in it...

Slightly back on track, I've lost the 2lb from last week. Phew.. I really am struggling with food just now Eating a lot more veg and fruit, the fruit has triggered a sweet tooth though, where I'm looking for the yumminess and reward of something so nice.

Will admit I have issues with food and eating, especially for comfort and when I'm feeling down. I have a poorly regulated fullness and hunger notification system it seems haha, ok I'm a glutton. I get so mad at myself for my lack of control and inability to be "normal" around food. Whatever normal is!

Some great losses around here, well done everyone. And I'm there with everyone struggling

Let's have a virtual hug for all of us finding things difficult at the moment - I'm thinking of you xxx
    • pretz
    • By pretz 10th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    pretz
    mallygirl I feel your pain our dogs do not appreciate others and even though they are small (daschund, Yorkshire terrier and border terrier) they are well know where we walk and now everyone leaves a clear gap. Although my OH has been know to have to sprint across the field after our daschund who was gunning for a rottweiler and slipped her harness. It really does shake you up. Hoping you nerves are back in place and your knee and neck feel better soon. Furbaby especially are big trouble but we wouldn't have them any other way.

knitwitch please don't be harsh on yourself, look at it as a blip. You've done the best thing and seemed support. Losing weight is a journey and not an easy one at that, it's fine to take a detour. Your mental health is far more important and taking care of your inner self is a must. Hoping your GP is doing what is needed and that your back to kicking tushie again soon. Thank you for still carrying on the challenge we all really do appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

On a dieting note today was my DD 11th birthday and I caved and had my first slice of cake or anything sugary in 60days and my it was so sweet I could only eat a few mouthfuls. Now I have a cruddy headache and have come to the conclusion sugar is evil.

Hope everyone else is having a fab Friday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,169Posts Today

8,298Users online

Martin's Twitter