Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,303Posts
    • 23,493Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
Page 240
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 18th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Good morning, everyone!
    I'm just back from mum's and the 4 lbs I'd lost over 3 weeks came back on in 1 week, very frustrating. We went out to eat a lot and it was mum's birthday after all, she has a very sweet tooth....cakes are her treat for everything and I couldn't really be sitting there without as it means so much to her. We did discuss it though and I hope that she gets her act together a bit now that I'm gone...
    So, when do you start the next challenge? I'm coming back on!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    we are in the next challenge - it runs up to Christmas. Not sure how many weeks left.

STS for me this week (actually I lost the extra from last week's blip).

It is the last night of the 6 week run club program tonight, with the ParkRun final timing on Saturday, but I have already decided I am going to pay and keep going with the club and the ParkRuns. I have surprised myself by enjoying the exercise plus it is nice to have one thing (well 2 really) in the week which is about me when so much is geared to DD.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 23,493 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Good morning, everyone!

So, when do you start the next challenge? I'm coming back on!
    Originally posted by Happygreen
    Morning Happygreen

9 weekends left in this challenge and it finishes just before
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 18th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Meekie
    Hello all,

Mallygirl- so glad you are enjoying the exercise. Wish I could find something myself which I like!

I think your tastes do change over time and you get used to having less sugar. I had diabetes in pregnancy twice now so had a really strict no-sugar low-GI diet for many months at a time. Thankfully the diabetes disappeared after the babies were born. It's nice now not to have to be so strict and to have the occasional treat but it taught me lots about food and my own eating behaviour. I now really prefer savory foods. I wouldn't really enjoy fizzy drinks now and wouldn't dream of eating a mars bar etc. Give me tortilla chips and fancy cheese any day! If I want (or need!) chocolate, I have dark (85%) chocolate and often a few squares is enough. Portion size remains an issue but I have learned to love vegetables and have found more interesting ways to cook them which has been a big help. So yes, you can learn to eat less sugar and perhaps enjoy other foods more in the process!

Today-
    B: 1 slice of bread, raspberries and yogurt
    L: leftover minestrone and bacon sarnie
    D: chilli con carne with small portion rice.
    E: not very much today but accidentally did a major hike yesterday as got semi lost exploring near the new house and ended up in middle of nowhere pushing the double buggy along a grassy bumpy track- totally exhausting! What a numpty!
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £226.01 / £360. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 8 NSDs.
    Nov GC £242.21 / £260. 26/10/16 - 25/11/16. 3 NSDs.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 18th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Meekie
    Forgot to say that the brilliant thing about skyr yogurt if memory serves me right is that it is quite high in protein, so good to help fill you up. I use another one called fage which has a 0% fat version while also being quite high protein. The full fat version is luscious and amazing but the 0% fat version is quite good I think too. I don't think they do flavours.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    E: not very much today but accidentally did a major hike yesterday as got semi lost exploring near the new house and ended up in middle of nowhere pushing the double buggy along a grassy bumpy track- totally exhausting! What a numpty!
    Originally posted by Meekie
    sounds like me yesterday. I accidentally locked myself out with 1 dog on a lead and the other in the house (not allowed out, wearing a cone and screaming blue murder about being left). I had no phone either. After trying the neighbours who have a spare, and not finding them in, I ended up walking with the dog to DD's school (about 2.5 miles round trip) to get her house keys and then was very late for starting work. I am going to buy one of those secure key boxes with a pin code and secure it somewhere on the outside of the house as we have been locked out by a dog before. More than once
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 18th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Meekie
    Oh no Mallygirl, what a nightmare!
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 18th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 34,721 Thanks
    Frith
    B - muesli

L - salad of lettuce, chicken, feta and olives

T - ready meal then apple cake that my son had cooked at school.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 19th Oct 16, 7:21 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,618 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Hi all. Its an STS for me this week which is disappointing as we're off on our holibobs later today.
    Anyway I won't be posting for a couple of weeks, hopefully won't have done too much damage while I'm away.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 19th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I haven't been able to get motivated this week at all - so much for the detox!

Had a lovely kitkat and bag of crisps yesterday - although even with these the total calories weren't bad as I didn't eat much except a bowl of soup for dinner!

Today

B - Berry Smoothie

MMS - Raw Carrots

L - Chicken and Pine Nut salad

MAS - Pot of Peaches in fruit juice

D - Whatever I can buy - have stuff in the house to make soup or go out and buy stuff for stuffed peppers!

Although have 2 days to try and be good before weigh in!
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16), 22/49 (3/12/16)
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 19th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Meekie
    Happy hols, gresleyrover.

Today:
    B : 1 slice of today with small bowl of raspberries and yogurt
    L: leftover minestrone
    D : hm falafel with wholegrain wraps, spinach and stir fried veg.
    I feel I've eaten loads today but am still peckish (? Hormones) and it's only been around 1500-1600 kcal. I made some frozen yogurt yesterday so might have some this evening.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 19th Oct 16, 8:21 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    I'm back....

Today I went cycling and undid the good with a hm pasty..W/m pastry and I didn't eat the wall

Tomorrow I shall be cooking chicken curry and I shall walk to the shop and back for coriander.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 19th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 9,196 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Hello again,

Please put me down for an attempt to lose lbs 6 until Christmas. That might be realistic, I hope! Many thanks, looking forward to all the kind encouragement on this thread
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • CathA
    • By CathA 19th Oct 16, 10:52 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    CathA
    Wondered why I've had the munchies since Sunday (resorted to eating the 2 bits of toast and marmite my grandson didn't want yesterday! ) plus my own toast. Got a cold starting last night, my nose is running like a tap and I had to sleep with a tissue stuffed up my nose-such a good look!
    Making excuses for my weigh in day already! Happy Wednesday everyone.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 20th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Managed a day of no bad snacks yesterday

Dinner was a spinach and pine nut pasta salad (Tesco Yellow sticker)

Today, hoping for another good day

B - Berry Smoothie

MMS - Mini pack of raisins

L - smoked salmon salad

MAS - Banana

D - Stuffed pepper, with quinoa and lentils
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16), 22/49 (3/12/16)
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 20th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 16,537 Posts
    • 47,355 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Last week was not a good one, diet wise. We had stuffed pork loin wrapped in bacon and served with dauphinoise for a few meals. Plus weds/Thursday were really hungry days, so I indulged in a few ( ) packs of crisps. I was lucky to get away with half a pound last week and another half this week.

So another pound off for my total, please knit witch? Thank you

Todays meals:
    Two slices of Warburton's protein bread, toasted; two bacon medallions, half an avocado, some shredded lettuce and a handful of plum tomatoes.

A cream of mushroom cup a soup.

A crumpet, toasted with peanut butter and banana before karate.

Turkey and butternut squash chilli with 60g dry weight brown rice.

I've not enjoyed my hot chocolate the last few times I've had it (got no mint flavour left!) so I've not been having it this week.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    B: low carb granola, blueberries, raspberries and skimmed milk
    L: big crunchy salad with 2oz HM gammon
    D: chicken breast stir fry, basmati rice
    35 min dog walk this morning. Hopefully the vet will discharge fluffy dog this afternoon and we can start doing proper walks again.

I plan to go for a run tonight but the sky is looking threatening at the moment
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 20th Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 23,493 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hello again,

Please put me down for an attempt to lose lbs 6 until Christmas. That might be realistic, I hope! Many thanks, looking forward to all the kind encouragement on this thread
    Originally posted by Happygreen
    Got you down on the list Happygreen
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 20th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Meekie
    Hello,

Your meals sound yummy everyone!

B: Toast 2 slices
    L : spinach with 2 boiled eggs and 1 slice hm seed bread, LO piece of falafel.
    D: chicken thigh with periperi sauce and roast veg, small about of potato (150g approx).
    This is a respectable 23% protein. Last week only managed 15% overall so trying to increase! OH getting seriously fed up with beans!

I am managing to have a net calorie average of 1350 kcal/ day for the last week so quite pleased with that but still, the weight remains! Needing to increase exercise but the small ones are snotty and unwell so can't venture too far in the cold and wet weather.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am off to the in-laws for 4 days next week so meals will be out of my control, plus there will be wine! DD is away on a sleepover on Saturday so we will probably go out for a meal - with more wine or beer.

And I was so close!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,483Posts Today

6,032Users online

Martin's Twitter