Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,303Posts
    • 23,493Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
Page 239
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 14th Oct 16, 11:01 PM
    • 4,589 Posts
    • 45,553 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

Well done with all the losses and comis Tessie

Another 1/2lb whittled this week Thanks for doing the lists for us Knit Witch - you're an

Hope you all have a winning weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213:2015=3421..2016=2925.25...DEC=206.51/310
    GrocC...2014=2162:2015=2083..2016=1703.02....DEC=32.52/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=150.59...
    GC.NSD....2015=216.....2016=193............DEC=6/15
    SPC130x54...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=41.30
    OS WL= 2/4 ......CC =NIL......Savings = tbc
    • VickyV
    • By VickyV 15th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    VickyV
    No change here this week. Must do better from now on. Small portions, less chocolate, more exercise.
    Have a good week all!
    October GC £126.43/£320
    O/s weight loss challenge 3/18lb
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 15th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Meekie
    Hi
    Despite yesterday's downward blip is an sts here for me this week. Onwards and downwards hopefully next week.
    Have a great weekend,
    M
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £226.01 / £360. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 8 NSDs.
    Nov GC £242.21 / £260. 26/10/16 - 25/11/16. 3 NSDs.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 15th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 6,736 Thanks
    Doveling
    Woohoo! Another -1lb for me
    Thought I'd never shift any.

Well done on losses everyone and thanks Knitwitch.

Got a couple of YS aubergines in Tosspots so am going to try a recipe for Roasted Aubergine in tomato sauce with fusilli.
    I really need to up the veggie meals on the weekly plan.

There would be a mutiny if they didn't get Sunday roast and there are always leftovers for another meal. One more meat night of some sort, two days fish and two days veggie should work.

It's getting a bit too cold for wanting salads and I'm starting to crave the puds again.
    Although I like fresh fruit salad, I like steamed sponge & custard far, far more

Have a good weekend, folks
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • katkin
    • By katkin 15th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 4,862 Thanks
    katkin
    A quick post from me, as we have a houseful of visitor and too many nice things to eat in!

Reporting a loss of 1lb this week.

Thanks Knit Witch for recording our numbers, well done to everyone losing, STS or those still keeping on in there xxx
    • Burly Shirley
    • By Burly Shirley 15th Oct 16, 10:41 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Burly Shirley
    Oh dear. +2lb for me.

That's me back to zero loss for the month. Must try harder
    • Margaret_
    • By Margaret_ 15th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Margaret_
    Morning, congratulations and commiserations to people as needed! I've had a STS this week but can live with that. Will keep plodding on with it and hope for a better result next week.
    Oct GC £19.65/£45
    OS Weight Loss 4lbs/12lbs
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 15th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 3,303 Posts
    • 23,493 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Burly Shirley … 0/12
    CathA … 1/4
    Dandy-candy … 0.5/6
    Doveling … 2/6
    dumpling … 4/14
    Freyasmum … 3/13
    Frith … 0/15
    Gresleyrover … 0.4/7
    katkin … 8/12
    Knit Witch … 1.5/7
    Lynnejk … 1.5/4
    MallyGirl … 1/3
    Margaret_ … 4/12
    Meekie … 4.95/17.6
    Mrs.mcd … 2.5/15
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Skint yet Again … 0/6
    Sue14 … 1/14
    Tammykitty … 4/18
    Tessie bear … 0/7
    TiredTrophy … 2/10
    VickyV … 3/18

3 st 5.85 lb
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 15th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    Down to 17 stones 3/4 lbs.
    18 stones 7lb - 17 stones 3/4lb
    • CathA
    • By CathA 16th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    CathA
    Morning all. I think I've got the "Hokey Cokey" pound, 1 pound in, 1 pound out! I must admit, buoyed up by the excitement of losing 2 lbs last week I have slacked off a bit, especially yesterday!
    We were going to start on landscaping the left hand side of the garden but it rained. Plan was to then start again on the inside of the house, nearly 3 years in and there's only the hall stairs and landing left to renovate plus one small wall to knock down. (More building dust-yay! )
    Anyway we decided to have a complete day off and sat round watching TV and eating peanut M and M's, Maltesers and a bag of liquorice allsorts! That's probably why I'm reporting a 1 lb gain this week, dammit!
    Back on the hall today, stripping eleventy billion bits of woodchip wallpaper off, last of the woodchip thank heavens! I am a professional at it now, this house was covered in it. Still it'll help with next week's weight loss. And I'm still 1 stone 3 lb lighter than I was.
    Happy Sunday everyone x
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 4,862 Thanks
    katkin
    "Hokey Cokey" is a great way to describe it CathA

I'm surprise I lost a pound this week as I've been feeling bloated and a bit down, though stuck to my meal plan.

We've had family staying over for the last 4 nights and they brought so many cakes, treats and alcoholic drinks As host I'd bought some extras in but nothing ott. Instead I focused on homecooked meals with plenty of fresh veg and fruits etc.

I managed to eat well and not overdo it. However, I was surprised about the amount of sugary rubbish they managed to put away on their trip. Fair enough its a wee holiday, but boy I just could not do that level of sugar and drinks. My nephews were consonantly eating sweets and drinking full sugar juices etc their parents brought.

It makes me realise I've come a long way and have made massive changes in my lifestyle.

When presented with an apple and cream sponge cake one bite of the sponge was far too sweet for me and I scrapped off a bit of the cream and apple and had that instead.

I don't want to be that "odd" auntie on a health fix, but really I just can't get over how much rubbish they thought was normal.

Rant over

Onwards and upwards! Or more so downwards on the scales by eating healthily X
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 27,472 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i think your tastes do change as you get older and as you try and reeducate your self for healthier choices...i have given up fizzy pop drinks for a whole week now and although i have added a cheeky 1 lb i do feel better in myself cant really put my finger on how i feel better but i do

had a fairly good weekend not gone mad...anyone tried the skyr from lidl in 4 flavours ? i tried the strawberry tonight and it was great will get some more

take care tessa
    on the brink...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 17th Oct 16, 9:02 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Skyr...is that like yogurt?
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 17th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I had another party filled weekend so I am back on detox this week to try and make up for it!

Breakfast - Berry & Spinach smoothie
    MMS - Raw Carrots
    Lunch - Butternut Squash Soup
    Dinner - Chicken Salad

Drinks - Peppermint tea and water!
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16), 22/49 (3/12/16)
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th Oct 16, 11:10 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 13,753 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

I've come to report 3lb on, I've been feeling very sad about one thing and another and ate rubbish to help me feel better. It never works and really I am old enough to know better but it doesn't stop me defaulting to that bad habit everytime.

Anyway, a new week ahead so I am going to get back on the wagon. I've planned out a few meals and going to be writing everything down again as it helps.

So my meals today are:
    b - weetabix, milk and sweetener
    l - baked potato with baked beans and a sprinkle of cheddar
    d - chicken and vegetable curry, rice and a cheeky poppadum.

Hope you all have a great day xx

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    i think your tastes do change as you get older and as you try and reeducate your self for healthier choices...i have given up fizzy pop drinks for a whole week now and although i have added a cheeky 1 lb i do feel better in myself cant really put my finger on how i feel better but i do
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I agree. I used to drink a fair bit of diet ginger beer but I had a can the other day and couldn't believe how sweet it tasted. I made apple pie with apples from the garden (not sure what variety they are, not quite Bramley but definitely cookers) and put hardly any sugar in. OH and DD both liked it so I think we are all having less sweet things, although both of then tried my homemade low carb granola and said it would be nicer with a bit of sugar, which would defeat the object really!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 27,472 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hello skyr is like a thick yogurt bit like quark if you have sampled that...had the plain from costco and didnt think much to it but the flavoured is lovely

dumpling i am the same first sign of trouble and i have my hand in the biscuit tin....goodness knows why as it dont help but there we are

just had a nice salad lunch if that isnt an oxymoron with salad got reduced from m and s i wasnt going to buy it now it is colder but im a sucker for a yellow sticker

have a fun day tessa
    on the brink...
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 27,472 Thanks
    tessie bear
    mally thats really interesting that you have revisited things you have liked in the past and know find them too sweet.....i had the same with diet dr pepper used to love it always the diet dont do full sugar one but got some recently and found it grim
    tessa
    on the brink...
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 17th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Thanks...prob won't bother as hm made yog nice ☺
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 34,721 Thanks
    Frith
    B - muesli

L - peanut butter and jam sandwiches, banana

T - healthier range ready meal

E - bit of digging and general tidying up!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,483Posts Today

6,032Users online

Martin's Twitter