Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,302Posts
    • 23,462Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
Page 238
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 11th Oct 16, 2:47 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    Meekie
    Doveling- Thanks. I'll see if I could do that.

Mallygirl- that poor dog! Sounds heartbreaking. When will he be up to walks again ?

Katkin- agree that those portions look good. You are very good counting your salad up for calories. I often skip the lettuce as it's so low cal but include the dressing.

Did lots of baking yesterday and had hm chicken soup (own stock) with barley, hm hummous and hm bread sticks for dinner. Fairly healthy but I was slightly less careful about portion sizes than normal so sadly no loss to report this week yet.

Today's plan:

B : Toast
    L : salad and 1 large bread stick with LO hummous (1 tablespoon)
    D: lean burger with bread roll and salad or coleslaw.
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £226.01 / £360. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 8 NSDs.
    Nov GC £242.21 / £260. 26/10/16 - 25/11/16. 3 NSDs.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 11th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 16,537 Posts
    • 47,354 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Aww Mally, your poor pooch

Today I had:
    BLT and a cuppa for breakfast
    Bolognese with a heaping bowl of veggies rather than pasta
    Dinner was another piece of chicken, spinach and filo pie (I could eat this every night ) with carrots and roast butternut squash.

Snacks were a low fat babybel, a banana, and some beetroot (I could just wat this straight from the jar).

I was drinking tea with milk. I had one cup of options orange hot chocolate and not even half a glass of diet cola.

I've switched to decaff on account of the amount of tea I drink (its my primary drink) and have been drinking it since Thursday and I had one cup of normal tea today and it tasted awful. Does anyone go through stages of finding what they normally like to be quite unpleasant?
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Thanks all - poorly dog has to have no walks till signoff by the vet 2 weeks from surgery so we still have more than a week to go. He is so full of bounce it is very hard. I am letting him run round the garden because he can stop at any point if it is too much, but he is only allowed to do the stairs when we all go to bed. He is causing all sorts of chaos with his massive cone.
    I had a lovely afternoon at the spa and swam for more than half an hour which was good. I did have a mocha and tiffin though - the visit was supposed to be a treat after all. I haven't swum for a very long time - I need to see if I can fit a few more swims in as it was a good stretch. I am tall so have long arms and I really take up more than my fair share of the pool when I do breaststroke

normal breakfast, something veggie from the fridge for lunch and then dinner will be whatever DH knocks up for my return from running club.
    40 min dog walk this morning
    45 min run club tonight. There is the option to do bootcamp before run club but I am not sure I am that keen (or that fit).
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 12th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 27,458 Thanks
    tessie bear
    sounds like everyone is doing positive stuff thats good i am shivering so wonder if that burns calories....there was a lovely rainbow over us this morning which quite lifted my spirits...odd but there you are

i felt quite thin when i got up this morning so no doubt i will have put weight on when i weigh later in the week

dont know if people are aldi shoppers but the super 6 is good this week...45p for leeks/beetroot/sprouts and 3 others i cant remember

have a fun day tessa
    on the brink...
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 12th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    Meekie
    Ooh, Thanks Tessie. I might pop to aldi this evening as we're running a little low on veg.

Slightly struggling this week. I am now at the low end of the weight range I have been in for years but losing another bit (entirely necessary) will put me into uncharted territory. That is a good thing but I'm feeling some inner resistance and the voice inside is saying 'you've done well enough already.' I have done well to lose about 5-6kg since mid August but bmi is still around 32 so aiming to get this under 30 by the end of the challenge.

Its been a tricky week too as the little one isn't so well and I've not been able to get or walking so much. I feel like it might be a gain this week. Need to do more exercise. I

Today:

L : scrambled eggs with peas, leftover hm hummous (heaped teasp) with sugar snap peas and baby sweetcorn. Small slice toast.
    D: chicken, potatoes, spinach. Creamy sauce with the chicken.
    E: 30 min walking already done with plan to walk to aldi this evening 45 min each way.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 12th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    Meekie
    Ooh, Thanks Tessie. I might pop to aldi this evening as we're running a little low on veg.

Slightly struggling this week. I am now at the low end of the weight range I have been in for years but losing another bit (entirely necessary) will put me into uncharted territory. That is a good thing but I'm feeling some inner resistance and the voice inside is saying 'you've done well enough already.' I have done well to lose about 5-6kg since mid August but bmi is still around 32 so aiming to get this under 30 by the end of the challenge.

Its been a tricky week too as the little one isn't so well and I've not been able to get or walking so much. I feel like it might be a gain this week. Need to do more exercise. I

Today:

L : scrambled eggs with peas, leftover hm hummous (heaped teasp) with sugar snap peas and baby sweetcorn. Small slice toast.
    D: chicken, potatoes, spinach. Creamy sauce with the chicken.
    E: 30 min walking already done with plan to walk to aldi this evening 45 min each way.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 12th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    katkin
    Thanks for the super 6 heads up Tessie. MallyGirl I hope the next week flies by for your doggie and you. Meekie I'll have my fingers crossed for you that it's a loss or even STS.

I've felt a bit bloated this week, and not slimmer at all, though my clothes have been roomy. Still I feel fat...

Yesterday and today have been much the same foods, just presented in slightly different ways at different times!

Tue / Wed Eats:

Teas with milk - 60
    Lite latte - 50

Celery soup with kale - 220

2 chicken thighs, roasted - 400
    Mixed salad - 100
    Balsamic dressing - 30

Hard boiled eggs x 2 - 65
    salsa - 65
    crudites - 100

Diet drinks - 30
    Water - 0

1,185 calories

I over estimate calories just in case, as it's impossible really to get it exact. The chicken was LO peri peri with a homemade marinade, so pretty tricky to work out the calories.

Used Romaine lettuce leaves as wraps for dressed salad and bits of chicken shredded - it was delicious, messy but really tasty. Took ages to eat too! I'm going to try more lettuce wraps and give cabbage a go too. I've never made stuffed cabbage so it's on my to do list.

3 days until my weigh in and I'm not feeling that I've lost much if any this week
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 34,711 Thanks
    Frith
    Hello again, everyone.

I had gone from 14 stones (New Years Day) down to 12 stones 7.

Now back to 13 stones 1. :-(

So trying again! I've been diagnosed with a heart problem (I think it's the equivalent of an ingrowing toenail in heart terms!) so have been sitting around, wondering whether to do more exercise/how much is too much...

It was a bit galling to be diagnosed with it at 41 (even younger than my dad, who was diagnosed at 48). Getting used to the idea now and need to be properly up and about. I've eaten like it's going out of fashion for a month or so, but no more!

As an example, here is what I have eaten today...

B - granola

L - peanut butter and jam sandwiches, raisins, banana

Doesn't sound too bad but was at work, so nothing else available...

T - curry, rice, naan, bhajis.

Then huge chocolate bar. Cherry fairy cakes made by smaller son.

Still hungry.

I'm not sure when this challenge ends but I'd like to lose 1 stone 1lb (to get to 12 stones) within 2 months.

With an aim (again!) of getting down below 11 stones by about May. I've had that aim for a few years!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Oct 16, 10:24 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 34,711 Thanks
    Frith
    P.S I am also tired of cooking and thinking of meals. I've cooked every meal, pretty much, since I left home at 18. I like everything except for offal but have no ideas left...
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 23,462 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    So trying again! I've been diagnosed with a heart problem (I think it's the equivalent of an ingrowing toenail in heart terms!) so have been sitting around, wondering whether to do more exercise/how much is too much...

I'm not sure when this challenge ends but I'd like to lose 1 stone 1lb (to get to 12 stones) within 2 months.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Sorry about the heart problems

10 more weekends for this challenge (finishes the week before Christmas )
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 34,711 Thanks
    Frith
    10 weeks, you say...? Righty ho, 15 lbs in 10 weeks.
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 12th Oct 16, 11:19 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 45,532 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

Just thought I'd share a site for chicken breast dishes sans skin of course - good protein for weight loss

greatist.com/health/healthy-exciting-chicken-breast-recipes

I've found it great for adding some interest to the same old
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213:2015=3421..2016=2925.25...DEC=195.09/310
    GrocC...2014=2162:2015=2083..2016=1703.02....DEC=32.52/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=150.59...
    GC.NSD....2015=216.....2016=193............DEC=5/15
    SPC130x54...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=41.30
    OS WL= 2/4 ......CC =NIL......Savings = tbc
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 13th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 23,462 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Burly Shirley … 2/12
    CathA … 1/4
    Dandy-candy … 0.5/6
    Doveling … 1/6
    dumpling … 4/14
    Freyasmum … 3/13
    Frith … 0/15
    Gresleyrover … 0.4/7
    katkin … 7/12
    Knit Witch … 0/7
    Lynnejk … 1/4
    MallyGirl … 1/3
    Margaret_ … 4/12
    Meekie … 4.95/17.6
    Mrs.mcd … 0.6/15
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Skint yet Again … 0/6
    Sue14 … 1/14
    Tammykitty … 3/18
    Tessie bear … 1/7
    TiredTrophy … 2/10
    VickyV … 3/18

3 st 1.95 lb
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    katkin
    I've been quite strict with myself this week but don't feel it will come over on the scales. Still feeling bloated. Had a sneaky weigh this morning and I was still hovering on that stone mark

Today's eatables:

teas with milk
    lite latte

2 med eggs, scrambled
    2 rashers of streaky bacon
    baby plum tomatoes
    mushrooms sauted in soy with the toms

mixed salad
    balsamic dressing
    LO roast pork (from freezer)

LO smoked ham slices (from freezer)
    kale, broccoli, peas and butternut squash, spiced and roasted

diet drinks (with straw in posh glass, hey it's calorie free but nicer..) and water

Keep reminding myself its not a race but a lifestyle.

This helps as I've got anxious about my weight loss because I'm running out of autumn / winter clothes to wear that fit. Hence I've been looking to get some new ones and focusing far too much on being a size smaller than I am - at the moment.

I really need to get my sewing machine back in action to take what I have in! There's no point buying mid-weight clothes.

Hope the week is going well for you all. Thank you for all your inspiration, ideas and support X
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 14th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    Had my weigh in this morning

1lb lost - that's a total of 1 stone in around a month - now all I need to do is keep it up, still a long way to go!

I delayed the weigh in this week, as I normally do Thursday, but had a really hectic weekend, and beginning of the week.

I am going to back on detox next week to kick start me again - was losing the motivation this week.

Fresh fruit & veg, chicken, salmon and no grains, and no processed food!

This weekend is going to be another crazy one - but hopefully the detox will make up for it!

Todays Food Plan

B - Smoothie Berry
    L - Chicken Salad
    D - TBC probably another chicken salad as have nothing in the house.

Snacks - Museli bar, Banana, Peach Pot & Raisin Snack Pack

This evening I will be drinking lots of "Grape" juice lol!
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16), 22/49 (3/12/16)
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 14th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    Meekie
    Well, total shocker ladies- the weight appears to have gone down. Will do my formal weigh in tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Plan for today
    B: Toast
    L : hope to do the hairy bikers' egg dish
    D: healthy fish n chips: white fish in breadcrumbs with roasted veg and a few potato wedges.
    E: going to walk to friend's house this afternoon- 1 hour each way.

So I've been quite sociable this week having people over for coffee etc. I realised that while I don't normally snack between meals, I feel I should offer guests a biscuit with their coffee and then I end up eating one (or 3). Eg yesterday i made scones and ended up devouring then myself. How do other people negotiate this? It's like a social pressure to eat even if it's self inflicted!
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    So I've been quite sociable this week having people over for coffee etc. I realised that while I don't normally snack between meals, I feel I should offer guests a biscuit with their coffee and then I end up eating one (or 3). Eg yesterday i made scones and ended up devouring then myself. How do other people negotiate this? It's like a social pressure to eat even if it's self inflicted!
    Originally posted by Meekie
    I will eat it if it is there so I don't buy things like biscuits. If someone offered me a coffee and it didn't come with a biscuit I would not feel any lack of hospitality, instead I would feel grateful as I would feel obliged to eat it if offered regardless of whether I wanted it or not. Maybe friends would also be secretly grateful so just change the habit?
    I am not a baker or a fan of baked goods so scones wouldn't necessarily lure me away from the path - but I hate waste so if we had them for some reason (OH doing the shopping or DD wanting to bake) then they would get eaten or popped in the freezer when the others weren't looking!
    • mrs.mcd
    • By mrs.mcd 14th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    mrs.mcd
    Hi all,

I haven't been very good at keeping up with this thread and forgot to weigh in here last week, but I did have a small loss of 0.8 lbs last week and then another 1.1 lbs this week so reporting a total loss of 1.9 lbs over the last two weeks please KnitWitch! Still not quite as much as I had hoped to be losing each week, but at least it's going in the right directions

Today's plan is:
    B: just a banana
    L: homemade veggie burger and roll
    D: pasta and veggie 'meat'balls

Have a lovely Friday everyone and well done to all the losses this week
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 23,462 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Burly Shirley … 2/12
    CathA … 1/4
    Dandy-candy … 0.5/6
    Doveling … 1/6
    dumpling … 4/14
    Freyasmum … 3/13
    Frith … 0/15
    Gresleyrover … 0.4/7
    katkin … 7/12
    Knit Witch … 0/7
    Lynnejk … 1/4
    MallyGirl … 1/3
    Margaret_ … 4/12
    Meekie … 4.95/17.6
    Mrs.mcd … 2.5/15
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Skint yet Again … 0/6
    Sue14 … 1/14
    Tammykitty … 4/18
    Tessie bear … 1/7
    TiredTrophy … 2/10
    VickyV … 3/18

3 st 4.85 lb
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 14th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 27,458 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i have put a lb on darn it....have just spent a mo looking at that chart above before it disappears....not best pleased but we need someone to bring up the rear so i will take the job

good luck with weigh ins tessa
    on the brink...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter