Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,298Posts
    • 23,435Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
Page 237
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 8th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    Doveling
    Evening All
    The day has run away with me!

Today
    B. 1 milky coffee
    L. Nothing -at hairdressers
    D.HM soup + bread, venison & chorizo casserole with sweet potato, sugar snap peas and scoop of buttery mash

Venison was YS and the casserole was lush. Am stuffed

I dare'nt let mince pies through the door as they don't get time to wipe their feet on the mat (if they had feet )

Dekaspace - well done on the loss. Cutting out sugary drinks is a brilliant start
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 23,435 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Burly Shirley … 2/12
    CathA … +1/4
    Dandy-candy … 0/6
    Doveling … 1/6
    dumpling … 4/14
    Freyasmum … 3/13
    Gresleyrover … 0/7
    katkin … 7/12
    Knit Witch … 0/7
    Lynnejk … 1/4
    MallyGirl … 1/3
    Margaret_ … 4/12
    Meekie … 4.95/17.6
    Mrs.mcd … 0.6/15
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Skint yet Again … 0/6
    Sue14 … 1/14
    Tammykitty … 3/18
    Tessie bear … 1/7
    TiredTrophy … 2/10
    VickyV … 0/18

2 st 10.05 lb
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 8th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Meekie
    Thanks Knitwitch and well done to all of us- fellow Pilgrims on the road to thinness and health.

Thanks Freyasmum. I liked the sound of butternut squash chips- were they good? To make up for OH's unhealthy ways I now try to include all his favourite foods but to make it a healthier version. Eg homemade pizza instead of pizza hut. Quite often have burgers (nice lean ones) with potato wedges- might give butternut squash chips a go instead sometime.

Hope Katkin is enjoying her fake-away- you deserve it!
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £226.01 / £360. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 8 NSDs.
    Nov GC £242.21 / £260. 26/10/16 - 25/11/16. 3 NSDs.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 8th Oct 16, 10:41 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    katkin
    Thanks Knit Witch

Meekie I didn't have it Hubby wasn't well (man flu turned into an infection and he's not great on antibiotics) and I thought there was no point having a treat if it was only me. I had a side plate with some cheeses, olives and baby toms.

Here's hoping we'll have it tomorrow, if he looks unwell again I'll just have to put it on for brunch and eat all of it!

He gets one chance around these parts
    • Burly Shirley
    • By Burly Shirley 9th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Burly Shirley
    Hi. It's a STS for me this week.

Well done for the losses and good luck everyone for the coming week.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 7,975 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Oh knit witch you missed my -0.5 (I forgot to put it in red!)
    • CathA
    • By CathA 9th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 901 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    CathA
    Hi all hope you are all well?

Hubby has gone off puddings , boo, but on the plus side, I've lost 2 lbs this week - yay! I've tried really hard not to pick at stuff but have had a few treats (caramel and coffee eclairs, 45p for 2) would be rude not to!
    I'm about 2 1/2 pounds away from where I want to be, let's try and keep it up!

Happy Sunday everyone x
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 9th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 16,533 Posts
    • 47,319 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Thanks Knitwitch and well done to all of us- fellow Pilgrims on the road to thinness and health.

Thanks Freyasmum. I liked the sound of butternut squash chips- were they good? To make up for OH's unhealthy ways I now try to include all his favourite foods but to make it a healthier version. Eg homemade pizza instead of pizza hut. Quite often have burgers (nice lean ones) with potato wedges- might give butternut squash chips a go instead sometime.

Hope Katkin is enjoying her fake-away- you deserve it!
    Originally posted by Meekie
    Yea, I love BNS squash chips and have them regularly. Because I'm doing ww, potatoes have points where as the squash don't

We also do the same. My OH loves McDonalds, but we've been making our own with either lean mince or turkey and it seems like you're getting something really naughty, when in fact it's not at all! He would have normal chips and id have BNS.

I tried making something along the lines of popcorn chicken as well, it was a little bit spicy for my OH and daughter to just eat itself,but they would have enjoyed it as part of a burger. I will post it when I find it
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 23,435 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Burly Shirley … 2/12
    CathA … 1/4
    Dandy-candy … 0.5/6
    Doveling … 1/6
    dumpling … 4/14
    Freyasmum … 3/13
    Gresleyrover … 0/7
    katkin … 7/12
    Knit Witch … 0/7
    Lynnejk … 1/4
    MallyGirl … 1/3
    Margaret_ … 4/12
    Meekie … 4.95/17.6
    Mrs.mcd … 0.6/15
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Skint yet Again … 0/6
    Sue14 … 1/14
    Tammykitty … 3/18
    Tessie bear … 1/7
    TiredTrophy … 2/10
    VickyV … 0/18

2 st 12.55 lb
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 10th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    My weekend was a write off where the diet was concerned,

Had a wedding, a dinner party and a hangover day yesterday.

And have already went for the chocolate this morning - but I allow myself one bar a week, so just had it early this week.

B- Berry and Spinach Smoothie
    L - Lentil stew
    D - chicken and sweet potato (If I can be bothered)

Snacks - Kitkat, carrot sticks, banana
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 12/49 (30/09/16), 13/49 (06/10/2016). 14/49 (14/10/16), 17.5/49 (28/10/16) 18.5/49 (4/11/16) 20/49 (26/11/16)
    • VickyV
    • By VickyV 10th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    VickyV
    Hi all,
    Woo hoo, weigh in on Saturday was good - and made up for the week before! So I'm -3lb this week!
    Well done to everyone on losses so far!
    October GC £126.43/£320
    O/s weight loss challenge 3/18lb
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 10th Oct 16, 11:31 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    Doveling
    Yesterday had usual coffees & juice.
    HM soup,Roast lamb dinner, small slice of cake
    Cheese & biscuits for supper.

Today
    B. 2 milky coffees, O.J.
    L. HM soup 2 slices buttered spelt bread
    D. Beef in wine, mash,carrots,sweetcorn & leeks

Hour walk with little dog this pm
    Usual drinks & fruit

Weather bright but chilly, perfect for walking
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 10th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    My weekend was a write off where the diet was concerned,

Had a wedding, a dinner party and a hangover day yesterday.
    Originally posted by Tammykitty
    Mine too. One of my dogs went for an op on Friday so walking will be reduced and shared with OH as post-op dog has to stay home while the other one is walked, and he is not happy. Saturday was an overnight stay in Dorset for my Dad's surprise 70th birthday party - lots of champagne and other wine. No parkrun as I was looking after post-op dog and had slept downstairs with him so wasn't feeling up to it anyway.
    I got back home on Sunday and OH had done a full roast then last night we had LO curry from Friday night.

Tomorrow's WI won't be good and DD is away all week so we will be taking the opportunity to go out to eat/drink. Pub Quiz tonight which will involve beer!
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 10th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Sorry for the late posting but I've been offline for a few days. Its a loss of 0.4llbs this week for me. Still got to catch up on the posts for last week
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 10th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Meekie
    Hello to you all and I hope tammykitty and Mallygirl enjoyed their sociable weekends. Hope also that katkin's OH is on the mend.

What a day I've had. Someone parallel parked outside my house and reversed into my car this morning. They didn't even bother to come and apologise but just left their car there bashed into mine Have the photos to prove it.

Now there's not much damage to the bit where his car was touching mine (registration plate protected the paintwork ) but there is a new 6 inch long quite deep scrape along the front right corner. Worried this is likely to rust as it has taken off all the paint. I can't prove that he did this but it seems likely that he hit this on his way in. His car also had a corresponding scrape. Question to you all- what would you do about this? Is It reasonable to want his insurance to cover the cost of touching up the paintwork? Do the police need absolute proof that he caused this particular scrape?
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £226.01 / £360. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 8 NSDs.
    Nov GC £242.21 / £260. 26/10/16 - 25/11/16. 3 NSDs.
    OSWL 4.5 / 8kg.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 10th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 23,435 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Burly Shirley … 2/12
    CathA … 1/4
    Dandy-candy … 0.5/6
    Doveling … 1/6
    dumpling … 4/14
    Freyasmum … 3/13
    Gresleyrover … 0.4/7
    katkin … 7/12
    Knit Witch … 0/7
    Lynnejk … 1/4
    MallyGirl … 1/3
    Margaret_ … 4/12
    Meekie … 4.95/17.6
    Mrs.mcd … 0.6/15
    SIRENS … 3.5/16
    Skint yet Again … 0/6
    Sue14 … 1/14
    Tammykitty … 3/18
    Tessie bear … 1/7
    TiredTrophy … 2/10
    VickyV … 3/18

3 st 1.95 lb
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    katkin
    Meekie did you get their registration number? If so report it to your insurance company and let them find the owner via the reg number. Glad you got pics. However I'm sorry to hear that happened, cars are expensive enough to run without having to pay out for additional work caused by others.

Well done to all you losers! Can't believe we've lost 3 st 1.95 lb amongst us, great stuff

Today's eating:
    • [*Teas with milk - 50
    • Lite latte - 50
    • HM celery soup with kale - 220
    • 2 med hard-boiled eggs - 130
    • 3 rashers smoked streaky bacon - 200
    • Mixed salad - 100
    • lite mayo / yoghurt dressing - 50
    • Mince & carrots - 300
    • Broccoli / kale - 60
    • Diet drinks - 30 (my weakness )
    • Water

Approx 1,190 calories.

Pics of brunch and late packed lunch at my desk today:

Excuse the messy peeled hard boiled eggs - they are a nightmare to peel and I've tried oh so many methods...

Not had much in the way of exercise, desk bound at work for most of the day, walking around shops, carrying heavy bags and a bit of light housework this evening.
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 4,855 Thanks
    katkin
    I meant to ask, what do you think of my portion sizes? Too much?

The food I eat during the day does satisfy me and keeps me going till supper (still to have) about 8.00pm.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 11th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 6,734 Thanks
    Doveling
    Good morning

Katkin - that looks fine to me. If that amount suits you, stick with it.

Meekie - whoever bumped you may prefer to just pay for the paint touch up rather than go through their insurance maybe?

Today
    B. 1 milky coffee, O.J.
    L. Cheese omelette +2 rounds buttered spelt bread
    D. Salmon, new potatoes, broccolli, carrots & watercress sauce.

Usual fruit but swapping lime & sodas for lemon & ginger teas.
    The weather is too chilly!

Hour walk with little dog this pm
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am going to call it STS - it wasn't but it was a blip in the wrong direction after a crazy weekend and reduced exercise due to a post-op dog not allowed to walk.

normal breakfast and a quick chicken salad late morning today as I have the afternoon off and have booked 3 hours at the local spa. No treatments as they were fully booked, just swim, chill, bubble and read. Much needed.
    I managed to walk the other dog for about 40 mins this morning but I could hear the howling from the one left behind all the way up the road
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

5,643Users online

Martin's Twitter