Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    • 3,189Posts
    • 22,654Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
    • 30th Dec 14, 4:13 PM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 9. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting. 30th Dec 14 at 4:13 PM
    Hello, everyone I've been asked, ever so nicely, so shiny new thread for you all

Quote:

As some of you know there's been some discussion lately on how to accommodate weight loss diets on the board. It was decided that the daily isn't the place for campaigns of any sort and that there was a very good weight loss thread on the I wanna board which would offer excellent support to anyone wishing to join.

The board guides have talked about this and we'd like to accommodate a weight loss campaign the OLD STYLE way here. However, in order for it to fit with the board, it should be about scratch cooking and healthy eating, NOT about where to get low calorie/fat ready meals cheaply or fad diets.

So, here it is. The Lose Weight the Old Style Way thread. This thread is for support in losing weight but in order to keep it true to the board - which is about money saving the old style way, there are going to be some posting guidelines.

Important. Please read:

The thread should be about healthy, Old Style eating. That means recipes and meal plans, support and encouragement and healthy eating. What shouldn't be accomodated here is if the thread goes off topic and covers ready meals, fad diets and weight loss clubs. There is a good thread that covers all that on the 'I wanna' board. So if the thread becomes an extention of that, we will have to close it and ask people to join in there instead.

Enjoy, and good luck (nb - we run 4 challenges a year, generally either 12 or 13 weeks, with a fortnight off at the end of December )
    Last edited by Knit Witch; 14-04-2015 at 3:29 PM.
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/7
Page 229
    • VickyV
    • By VickyV 21st Sep 16, 9:39 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    VickyV
    Hi all,
    This is the first time I've ventured on to this challenge but I really need to lose some weight. I would love to join the next challenge and put myself down for 18lb please.
    I assume that the weigh in of the 24th will be the starting point and a weekly weigh in after that.
    Thanks for the thread - wish I'd taken the plunge years ago! :-)
    Vicky
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 21st Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 3,375 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    B: low carb granola, raspberries and skimmed milk
    L: LO lamb pilaff from last night (ran out of time to make shepherds pie)
    D: pork chops, roasted butternut squash, sugar snaps
    pudding (a rarity) will be the remains of the apple thing I made on Sunday.

snack: monkey nuts

45 min dog walk this morning
    OneAccount flexible mortgage due to be repaid Nov 2025
    Current o/s amount - £30k @ 3.9% 5% LTV
    £37k stoozed on 0% cards till '18 / '19
    MF Target date - Jan '17 (we will be 49)
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 21st Sep 16, 11:11 AM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 22,654 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    As a newb here do I do my first weigh in on Fri or Sat this week and post it?

I tend to weigh myself everyday as my weight goes up and down like a yoyo. I put this down to water (from yesterday to day I apparently lost 5ils - haha I wish). Then I take an average of the week - so is that what I report on?

Thanks x
    Originally posted by katkin
    The day you want as your "official" weigh in day is up to you (if you feel Wednesday gives you the best chance of a loss then post then - just let me know it IS your official weigh in each week ), you don't need to post your starting weight on here - just keep a not so you know what your losses are

If you want to do an average over the week then that is fine, entirely up to you hun
    OS Weight Loss 0/7
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 21st Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 22,654 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hi all,
    This is the first time I've ventured on to this challenge but I really need to lose some weight. I would love to join the next challenge and put myself down for 18lb please.
    I assume that the weigh in of the 24th will be the starting point and a weekly weigh in after that.
    Thanks for the thread - wish I'd taken the plunge years ago! :-)
    Vicky
    Originally posted by VickyV
    You are added to the spreadsheet ad list VickyV and yes the 24th is the start of the next challenge and runs for 12 weeks (I am not such a hardhearted taskmistress as to run this over Yule/Christmas/Hanukkah!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/7
    • katkin
    • By katkin 21st Sep 16, 7:57 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    katkin
    The day you want as your "official" weigh in day is up to you (if you feel Wednesday gives you the best chance of a loss then post then - just let me know it IS your official weigh in each week ), you don't need to post your starting weight on here - just keep a not so you know what your losses are

If you want to do an average over the week then that is fine, entirely up to you hun
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    Thank you Knit Witch. I,m going to go with a Saturday weight in and even if week one is nought, I'll have least got my mind and body back into action. Actually been enjoying my eating this week gain. Starting to feel better again.

My weighting this week has been all over the place so I'll average it.

Today took a 2 egg, 2 rashers streaky, 25g grated cheddar with spinach omelette to work that I enjoyed cold at 11am. By the back of two I had a plastic tub with little balsamic and LO roast beef in it. Tonight's dinner was minimal I was happy with a decent meaty butchers sausage with lots of tomato herby veg sauce on my steamed plate of kale and leeks. I'm pretty stuffed
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 22nd Sep 16, 10:18 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 3,375 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    B: low carb granola, blueberries, raspberries and skimmed milk
    L: roasted veg in some way
    D: not sure yet - something quick and light as we are off to a gig quite early and there will be beer!

35 min dog walk this morning, back from dealership after dropping dog van for a service (multi tasking at its best)
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 23rd Sep 16, 7:25 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    So here I am, the sofa marshmallow, back for another go at this weightloss lark. I get loads of exercise but gain weight......then get really miserable. Then DH gets fed up with it all.

I know what I should eat, like every middleaged woman, I've been told often enough, but I have a starving time between 4.30 and 6 and DH comes in for dinner 7.30....I can easily eat the calories for a day just browsing the cupboards then.

Todays plan
    B. Melon, hm.yog, cashews, coffee
    Mid.morn. coffee
    L. Hm lentil soup, green salad
    Mid afternoon. An apple, if desperate then a boiled egg.
    D. Chicken stirfry and rice
    E. Gym or cycle ride...

We are having a dry October. And need to be careful with money as have flights to pay for.

Good luck to the weighing-in-ers and all the new challengers!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 23rd Sep 16, 10:16 AM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 27,210 Thanks
    tessie bear
    welcome back tt...if you are hungry in the afternoon/evening could you sit down with a snack in an attempt to keep you going ? such as a can of diet coke and fruit or veg sticks and a low cal dip or a yogurt or boiled eggs or some cooked meat like ham ?

right 1 lb off for me please knitwitch...i was thinking about that doctor who episode with the little adiposes really cute if only weight loss was like that

i am feeling inert today so plan to sit feeling sorry for myself until i can talk myself round

good luck with weigh ins tessa
    on the brink...
    • katkin
    • By katkin 23rd Sep 16, 12:16 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    katkin
    Afternoon everyone! 1st weigh in on the first day of the challenge and....

....(drumroll��) stayed the same.

I guessed this was going to happen, but hey ho another week forward we go.

Best of luck to everyone x
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 23rd Sep 16, 1:36 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 6,491 Thanks
    Doveling
    Same here Katkin

A STS for me

Not a great start. Been on a course this week so not been on t'interwebulator much.

Welcome any body new
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • mrs.mcd
    • By mrs.mcd 23rd Sep 16, 2:05 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    mrs.mcd
    Hello everyone! I'm new to these forums and would love to join this thread and the challenge, if that's ok. My goal is to lose 15lbs by Christmas, so a little more than a lb a week. I will weigh in every Friday.

I have been getting back into home cooking lately after a being in a terrible eating out/takeaway habit for a while, so hopefully it will be achievable! I've also been recording everything on my fitness pal and trying to stay under 1,200 calories a day. Now I just need to get back to the gym and up my exercise!

So today my meal plan is
    B: banana
    L: lentil and red pepper soup
    D: veg risotto
    Snacks: Apple with almond nut butter

Good luck everyone ��
    • Margaret_
    • By Margaret_ 23rd Sep 16, 6:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Margaret_
    Welcome Mrs McD and hello everyone

My week has been a disaster but onwards and upwards, I am hoping a brand new challenge will motivate me a bit more.

Knitwitch can you put me down as STS again, thank you.
    Save
    Save
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Sep 16, 10:32 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 22,654 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Afternoon everyone! 1st weigh in on the first day of the challenge and....

....(drumroll��) stayed the same.

I guessed this was going to happen, but hey ho another week forward we go.

Best of luck to everyone x
    Originally posted by katkin
    Just to give you some good news - this weekend is the START of the challenge so 1st weigh in will be next week
    OS Weight Loss 0/7
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Sep 16, 10:33 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 22,654 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hello everyone! I'm new to these forums and would love to join this thread and the challenge, if that's ok. My goal is to lose 15lbs by Christmas, so a little more than a lb a week. I will weigh in every Friday.

I have been getting back into home cooking lately after a being in a terrible eating out/takeaway habit for a while, so hopefully it will be achievable! I've also been recording everything on my fitness pal and trying to stay under 1,200 calories a day. Now I just need to get back to the gym and up my exercise!

So today my meal plan is
    B: banana
    L: lentil and red pepper soup
    D: veg risotto
    Snacks: Apple with almond nut butter

Good luck everyone ��
    Originally posted by mrs.mcd
    Welcome aboard mrs.mcd - I will add you to the list
    OS Weight Loss 0/7
    • gresleyrover
    • By gresleyrover 24th Sep 16, 7:30 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    gresleyrover
    Its a loss of 0.4lbs this week please knitwitch.
    • mrs.mcd
    • By mrs.mcd 24th Sep 16, 8:07 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    mrs.mcd
    Morning all!

So the first day of the challenge is going to be slightly tricky for me lunch wise as DH and I are going sofa shopping so will inevitably have lunch out. But I will try to have either soup or a baked potato, depending on where we go, so it shouldn't be too bad. And dinner will be super healthy, and will be in the slow cooker all day so no chance of giving in and getting a takeaway tonight

Meal plan for today:

B: porridge with apple
    L: tbd
    D: lentil Dahl

Have a lovely Saturday everyone!
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 24th Sep 16, 8:07 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Meekie
    Hello all and welcome to the new folk.

It's a sts for me too this week- very lucky is not a gain. I did an exam on Thursday and was successful so we've be celebrating the new more qualified me with a little too much alcohol, Chinese takeaway and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. It was also OH's birthday so more cake arghhhhh!

Back onto the straight and narrow from today though and feeling positive about the challenge ahead.

B: Toast
    L : boiled eggs and 1 slice toast
    D : homemade pizza with cabbage salad
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £88.98 / £350. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 4 NSDs.
    • Margaret_
    • By Margaret_ 24th Sep 16, 10:08 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Margaret_
    Morning everyone

I've started as I mean to go on and walked round the local park a few times (it's a very small park!)

B: Porridge
    L: Soup
    T: Sausages and green beans (I'm eating odd meals to use up what's in the freezer)

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 24th Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 22,654 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Hello all and welcome to the new folk.

It's a sts for me too this week- very lucky is not a gain. I did an exam on Thursday and was successful so we've be celebrating the new more qualified me with a little too much alcohol, Chinese takeaway and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. It was also OH's birthday so more cake arghhhhh!

Back onto the straight and narrow from today though and feeling positive about the challenge ahead.

B: Toast
    L : boiled eggs and 1 slice toast
    D : homemade pizza with cabbage salad
    Originally posted by Meekie
    Congratulations on the exam pass!
    OS Weight Loss 0/7
    • katkin
    • By katkin 24th Sep 16, 2:58 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    katkin
    Just to give you some good news - this weekend is the START of the challenge so 1st weigh in will be next week
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    You've just made my day Knit Witch!

Congratulations to all the losers and exam winner! X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

758Posts Today

6,149Users online

Martin's Twitter