Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th Dec 14, 5:28 PM
    • 3,110Posts
    • 33,638Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Living richly; simply and debt-freely
    • 28th Dec 14, 5:28 PM
    Living richly; simply and debt-freely 28th Dec 14 at 5:28 PM
    Good Afternoon

I've decided to start a new diary, just prior to the New Year. My old diary has been instrumental in helping me through a slight sticky patch 18 months ago, and has really helped me to start to lead the life that I want to live with my DP at Greying Towers. If you want to read the background, here's the link; Living on next to nought is that the key?

2014 has already seen us declutter whole drawers and rooms of *stuff* (and we don't own much!) and make a start on the redevelopment of Greying Towers And we've remembered to have fun along the way, so have kept up with our preferred method of entertainment, which is cycling, walking, picnicking and visiting Natty Trust places

2015 and beyond is going to see us hurtling towards retirement - well, if the goalposts didn't constantly shift, we'd be hurtling, but let's just say, that as you get older, the years pass by much more quickly, so we're getting older, quicker We don't necessarily want to be living where we are now, as we get older. We don't need a smaller property, Greying Towers is quite wee, but it's relatively high maintenance, not terribly energy efficient and doesn't fill us with joy to live here.

Therefore, we have been trying to plan for our futures. I've certainly always been of a frugal, thrifty, self-sufficientish vein. DP is a late starter, but has fully converted, and now often nags encourages me to do better! Therefore, we're used to living within our means. And certainly my previous diary has helped to galvanise our determination to live within our means, and yet lead a *rich* life, full of fun, memorable moments and lots of laughter. Of course, a *rich* life is open to individual interpretation, but I've found that the simpler my life becomes, the *richer* it is. And to this end, I'm determined to live a rich life, of simplicity - enabling us to live within our means and avoid debt. We would like to move house, and I currently have no idea what impact the changes in mortgage rules may or may not have on us. But I do know that we would be wise to have as much money saved as we can, and to avoid any poor credit ratings. So, the important part of our lives now is to remain living a *rich* life - doing all the things that we do now; simplifying our lives only focusing on what is needed or important and remaining, firmly, out of debt.

As in my previous diary, there are only 2 adults to consider the impact of any crazy schemes we may have to employ - if our teeth fall out or we keel over with malnutrition, then that is our own look out!

Keeping an eye on budgets is key to simple living, and the one I keep the beadiest eye on, is always the food budget. We are a vegetarian household with a budget for £100 per month for food. Toiletries, alcohol, haircuts etc etc is from a separate budget of £80 total.

I'm very interested in food, eating and cooking. I talk about it a lot. I even take pics of me tea I hope to continue that strange habit in this diary

We have a *significant* event in 2015, that we would like to mark. We are currently trying to work out if we could afford to do it, alongside all the work that needs to be done on the house. I haven't got high hopes that we can do it all - but if I've learnt one thing, it is that if you don't have a plan at all, then you definitely fail before you start. In 2013 and 2014 we have definitely achieved much more when we've had a plan, than without - even if we've had to change course, or in fact, had a different outcome to that intended

So, fancy joining me for the ride?

Greying

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 25-10-2016 at 3:17 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 88
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Friday already again.Pizza and wedges tonight. But I am going to use up the 'leftover' pizza in the freezer, so it'll be cheese and tommy or med. veg. I'm going to probably give the mrL wedges a try, so actually, cheese and tommy will be the better choice. Can I nick a nsd?

Baby Greying is being a wrigglebum supremo this morn. So I'm best off outta here - before their typing gets interesting.....

See y'all later.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 14th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 16,578 Posts
    • 73,043 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear

Have a good day lovely GP and all Pilgrimers
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".

In Solidarity: Andy Woodward - Jeremy Corbyn
    Cheap Coffee & Sauce Lover

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 208,243 Thanks
    greenbee
    Maybe BG wants to talk to us too
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Oct 16, 10:31 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Maybe BG wants to talk to us too
    Originally posted by greenbee

'Tis what they would tell you I'm worried about!

Greying X #trialsandtribulationsofananxiousnovicemother
    'Ich habe genug'

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 21,953 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I think that BG would be telling us that they have the best parents in the world, who are kind, loving and generous; take them to see interesting new places and introduce them to new experiences all the time. Not forgetting all the cuddles, stories and conversations.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 14th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Naw........ maddiemay, we've had Tearful Thursday, I reckon we'll be on to Floodgate Friday at this rate

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 14th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 16,578 Posts
    • 73,043 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    If needed....

The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".

In Solidarity: Andy Woodward - Jeremy Corbyn
    Cheap Coffee & Sauce Lover

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

How lucky am I?

We got invited out to tea last night Our hosts cooked curry It was deliciously tasty food. Delicious. But do you know the real treat? It was being cooked for. I felt truly spoiled

I am however, laughing (in a kind way) at the fact that our, 'Saturday Night Out' is now over and done with by 7.30pm I wouldn't have it any other way though And imagine how much cash it'd cost nowadays to go out and about drinking and disco-dancing until dawn

Friday night tea was left over pizza and the mrL wedges. The wedges were 65p for 750g. I would say they were an OK product. I would buy them again. The potatoes used actually tasted of potato The only slightly incongruous thing was that the coating was entirely reminiscent of the breadcrumb coating on fish fingers......... Not bad, just a little sense bending

The menu planner says 'bake' for today. I'm make summat up I think. I'm still on a high from last night

We were going to go out on a day trip, but the weather was supposed to be dire. We've woken up to rain, sure, but not lashings and lashings, as predicted We probably could have gone. Maybe we'll take a sanger out and about yet.

Right, best go off and find out what DH and Baby Greying are up to

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 7,050 Posts
    • 32,831 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Definitely a day for baking Greying - it's rained solidly all morning on my bike ride although thr sun has come out now I'm home and about to hop in the bath!

Must investigate potato wedges. My own attempts to make them frequently fail never tried bought ones though...
    Saved for house move: £8570
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Well, best laid plans of meeses and Greyings...... I didn't do bake for tea last night. I was going to do something with the 3 avocados for £1 that I got from the overpriced on some things grocer. Unfortunately, they had decided to rot from the inside out (the avocados, not the grocers!) So into the compost bin they went. Hate wasting food, but they weren't appetising and the taste was bitter

Instead, i dug caponata out of the freezer, boiled up the remaining bit of pasta twirls that I had and sprinkled over some grano padano that I had grated for something else, and which had been languishing in the fridge for a week!

I will have to try to make a bake for this evening instead, as I have some left over egg whites that need using up today really. I shall put my thinking cap on as to what else can be included, to use things up and avoid buying more.

We didn't take a sanger for a walk yesterday It really peeves me when the weather forcast is sooo wrong for an area. We went out to see the gardening and non-gardening parentals instead. So now i have some HG tatties and some leeks to do something creative with Leek bake with creamy mashed potatoes anyone? Sounds like a plan

Today could be a nsd. I can't currently think of anything that we desparately need. But I will have to put a list together, as there are a couple of items that the 'last' has been taken out of the storecupboard for use. And do you know, i'mglad I wrote that, as I have just remembered that I ate the last banana this morning, so we're out of bananas. I will be spending after all!

How useful are these diaries!

Right, I'm away to find cuddles in close proximity and coffee at a safe distance

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    And I forgot to say, I found the mrL 'pick 'o t'week' extremely useful this week; carrots (1kg), Parsnips (500g), red onions (750g) and cherry tomatoes (250g) all for 29p each. We have filled us boots (the parsnips alone were 16p a bag cheaper than mrAl S6 offering).

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Heard an ad for those offers yesterday GP and thought they sounded good. I would no doubt have passed o the toms as I suspect they were NOT British at that price and we only buy British ones. However all our shopping for the week is very definitely done and dusted and I will not be going NEAR another supermarket until Sunday at the earliest!

Hope your coffee & cuddles were both lovely!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I suspect they were NOT British at that price and we only buy British ones.

Hope your coffee & cuddles were both lovely!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    No, clearly marked produce of Andalucia, Spain.

Coffee was stone cold But cuddles more than made up for it

So I nipped up the high street, but determindly purchased just what was on my list. Regrettably, I have no excess in last week's budget to purchase anything for the food bank this week. I shall aim to do better for next week though, as I have a suspicion that it is half-term, and I think milk will probably be even more in demand. And that is British, which does please me to buy and to say

We put a cash gift from the non-gardening grandparental into BG's saving a/c- get them into the saving habit young!

I also forgot to say that i made some hummus with the kala chana over the weekend - red pepper with the left over merguez spices. It was nice, and definitely the best use for the kala chana. i think I have one tub of cooked left over in the freezer and about 250g? of dried left. Then i'm DONE

Right, a sanger, with my name on it needs to be made!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• try harder
    • By try harder 17th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    try harder
    Really enjoy your postings gp and love all the recipies ,great diary.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Thanks try harder - that's a very kind thing to say

Tea was OK. Not quite as tasty as I had hoped, I think cheese/dairy was the missing link. I should have either sprinkled in some grated grano padano, used some yoghurt or used some nutitional yeast. It was nice, but could have used a bit more 'toothsomeness' I think So basically I fried up some onion, garlic and celery. Whizzed it up in a blender with some cannellini beans. Fried off the chopped leeks in a little butter - stirred it all together with my leftover egg whites and the last 2 eggs and then transferred into a greased pan. Sprinkled over some sesame and nigella seeds and cooked at 180 for about 25 mins. Served with buttery mash, made with wilja potatoes, some mrL carrots and some (frozen) green beans. Picture here;

There is a portion of mash left over and two slices of the bake. First to the front door, gets dibs on it Whilst I had the oven on, I also made an apple crumble. The apples - which I think are probably bramleys, were off a roadside stall when we went to a NT place the other week. Not content with buying apples from there, we bought from the roadside too! It smells delicious though, really applely - hope it delivers on taste. I will be partnering it with the last of the clotted cream & raspberry ice cream.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

help and generosity from a near neighbour

gifted, HG produce - so tasty! And I saw the leeks actually being dug up!

menu-planning - hope it gets me through a lean week

Thanks for popping in and reading. Mucho appreciated.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 17-10-2016 at 8:10 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Ok, I'm being cheeky but the mash is mine if you have some hp sauce.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ok, I'm being cheeky but the mash is mine if you have some hp sauce.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    As it's you darlin' I just got off my b u m and checked. We have about 3/4 ters of a 425g squeezy bottle - is that enough???????

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

We're up, breakfasted and all systems firing already - what a boon to be ahead

Unless it stops raining, we'll be able to snag a nsd, as the only thing on the list is the TV listing guide, and frankly, we don't 'need' that today.

Tea this evening will be soup - thick and hot - if this weather don't let up! I was going to make vichyssoise (leek & tattie), but I used up 2 leeks for tea yesterday, and there is only one left. Not enough to flavour the soup - unless anyone knows what the french is for 'mostly potato soup with an accent of leek'?

Tidying is on the agenda - is it ever off?

Right, I'll quit whilst I'm ahead. DH is on 'daddy duty' so I've been able to drink my coffee whilst still hot (and safely away from curiosity ). So I'd better shift-a-tail-feather and tag in for 'mummy duty'.

Thanks for popping in and reading. Mucho, mucho appreciated.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You were up and at it before I was this morning GP! I was only about 5 minutes behind you though!

Mash....Mmmm!

What flavour soup we having then as there's not enough leek?!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 33,638 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

What flavour soup we having then as there's not enough leek?!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I'm leaning toward lentil and vegetable, as that will best use up what we have. But a neighbour dropped by and we got talking about food - nope, I don't live near to Pippi (regrettably ) - and I was reminded that i have 2 perfectly good pumpkins/squashes that I have yet to decide what to do with constructively. I had actually started looking this morning at recipe inspiration - but do you know what, dear reader. I set it to one side in order to do some sorting/tidying up!

What an effect these diaries have

I was thinking this morning that the 'menu-planning' that i am doing at the moment is better than trying to come up with a certain dish, everyday for 30/31 days. It's been a revelation to me - I'm enjoying the 'soup' of Tuesday, or the '----- with rice' of a Wednesday, 'bake' of Sunday or 'curry' of Saturday. It seems to make me much more creative with what I have, rather than going shopping for great long lists of things, and still having an empty fridge half-way through the month.

Right, I'm going to have a last blitz at the tidying up and then I'm going to start tea.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,883Posts Today

6,640Users online

Martin's Twitter