Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 8
    • jicms
    • By jicms 12th Oct 17, 11:36 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    jicms
    Cancellation
    After informing me my annual membership was to be renewed at double the premium I could not get through to them to cancel on the phone so I cancelled via email. They never replied and debited my account with the first instalment. My bank, First Direct, were very helpful and refunded the unauthorised payment and put a note on my account that no further payments were to be taken by them.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    After informing me my annual membership was to be renewed at double the premium I could not get through to them to cancel on the phone so I cancelled via email. They never replied and debited my account with the first instalment. My bank, First Direct, were very helpful and refunded the unauthorised payment and put a note on my account that no further payments were to be taken by them.
    Originally posted by jicms

Yep they did the same to me. Keep an eye open as they still took money from my account after I told the bank. The bank had to go one step further to block them.
    • Georgemcc
    • By Georgemcc 13th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Georgemcc
    Omg 247 rescue is an horrendous company please please stay clear!! They are NOT AN INSURANCE BASED COMPANY SO THEY DONT COME UNDER THE OMBUSMAN OR FCA REMIT. I called them out and was charged £75, They said it was over pressurised it was by my tennant as it was loosing pressure for some unknown reason.
    They sent an engineer who texted me it was all fixed. One week later another phone call telling my wife the first call out payment of £75 didn’t go through for some reason so she paid again (she works in a bank) then after payment was made she was informed another fault had been reported, (sneaky way to get you to pay for the same problem twice) They visited again (Same problem) they didn’t attempt to fix the problem they just deemed my boiler beyond economical repair, They could repair at my own cost for £980.

So I was £150 out of pocket for x2 call outs and told they weren’t doing anything else!! Period!!! FANTASTIC CONTRACT I HAD!

I eventually sent my own engineer around and boiler was fixed & fully serviceable for £135. ABSOLUTE DISGUSTING RIP OFF MERCHANTS PLEASE STAY CLEAR
    • Donna1001
    • By Donna1001 18th Oct 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Donna1001
    I have also had very similar problems with this company.

They have recently set up a direct debit & taken money without my consent, threatened me with baillifs & despite promises on twitter, have never phoned me!

I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of them!
    • Torres9
    • By Torres9 18th Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Torres9
    These cowboys tried to trick me into taking cover out with the old 'REWARDS FREE 1month for being a valued customer!' con. Unlike Netflix or Prime their idea of a 'FREE' month isn't to offer you a free month trial (Notice how they cleverly word it to make you think you're getting a good deal when the only thing they DO cover is their own a*se!) but to dangle the bait then slap a schedule of monthly direct debits on your account. I didn't notice at first because I had already signed up to Boiler cover (Ha! Joke!) so they already had my bank details and just needed a simple 'yes' in a reply via email to activate it. Sly doesn't come close to these guys! They kept quiet hoping I wouldn't notice - even when I claimed for a call out on our boiler and gave them the wrong reference number! As soon as I realised their game I immediately cancelled my direct debits and after the rant I had with them over their 'Beyond Economical Repair' stunt I made sure they wouldn't be getting another penny! £13.51 phone calls to them in 3 days, not to mention the state their engineer left our kitchen in. And to top it all off they left my disabled wife with no heating all week when they could have switched the heating back on, as the fault lay with the hot water supply - Not the central heating!!
    • leila007
    • By leila007 24th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leila007
    Total rip off
    I wish I saw these reviews earlier and never picked a plan with them. They are total rip off and find any fine print T&C for charging you extra on a promised unlimited free call out.
    I have so far paid GBP 150 for the two engineer's visit. They found some ridiculous reasons to charge me.
    My tenant informed me today that the boiler is broken down. 247home rescue contacted him and my tenant told them the boiler was not working since last week. 247homerescue found a reason to refuse to fix it under contract since my tenant didn't inform me to inform them with in 24 hours after the breakdown.
    how on earth my tenant could know about the fine print in the T&C of my contract? How can i force my tenant to report the breakdown with in 24hrs if he chose not to do so? absolutely ridicules and dishonest. I am paying premiums every month to 247homerescue but when there is a break down they expect me to pay for the engineer visit.
    • leila007
    • By leila007 24th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leila007
    how can I report them to a watchdog?
    • gibs133
    • By gibs133 1st Nov 17, 10:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gibs133
    watch dog
    send an email to watch dog watchdog@bbc.co.uk or use their website. also send a complaint to trading standards
    • 2110wright
    • By 2110wright 2nd Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2110wright
    Terrible company!

Dear Sir/Madame,

I have just phoned to cancel my cover which took 35 minutes 2 of which on the phone. After being answered and then cut off twice and told to phone an alternative number i was finally put through to the cancellations department.

I was explained my reason for cancelling was due to an incident when i was working away and our boiler stopped working. When my partner phoned to explain the issue she was told it was a pressure drop and that the cover did not support the assistance she required unless she paid a £75 callout with parts and labour on top. I was forced to get in touch with family members who luckily went round and re pressurise the boiler.

When i explained this to the cancellation team they offered me the next two months free which totals a sum of around £22, very disappointing.
    I feel this cover was mis sold and the help given a very poor standard, the fact i have also paid for this cover over the past couple of months is beyond me.

I will be forwarding this complaint on.

Aaron Wright.
    • Ajlal
    • By Ajlal 3rd Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ajlal
    Exactly, they are fraud . Stay away from them.

I have paid Homerescue247 full amount for whole year, after a month they changed my contract without liaising with me. According to which I paid them more than the actual service plan entails. I asked them to refund the balance, which is still not received (nearly 4 weeks have been passed)

On other hand, even worst. They sent their engineer very proactively for my boiler service, as soon as the engineer left, same night my heating system malfunctioned. I phoned them to informed, instead they said it cannot be their fault, to help they need to check for which they asked me to pay £75 security deposit telling me it is just the security deposite we will pay you back if we ascertained that the issue is not related to boiler. I was concerned and trusted them, so end up paying extra £75 (on top of full year payment). Engineer confirmed that the problem nothing to do with boiler instead it is to do with the heathing system valves.

I then phoned them back, to ask for £75 refund, first of all I could not get hold of them easily. No ones picks up call, and finally after long waiting time, if someone picks and get the whole story, they end up refuding to hellp and ask to redial to other function, that happened several times. I end up speaking with 3 functions after long waiting time. Each functional advisor refused to help very rudely (except one exception). Finaly I was told, I cannot get my £75 because they sent engineer to check. And the heating system issue is nothing to do with their engineer fault neither is is covered in their plan so asked me to pay ADDITONAL £250 TO FIX (despite I have full comprehensive cover with them, which says I am fully covered for heating systeam including parts and labours). It is such a stress , I never dealt such a rogue company before. I do not know what to do with them. Now for new claims, they ask for another £75 on top and do nothing. This kind of behaviour cannot be simply defined as unprofessional, it is WORST.

As I am writing this, I trying to call them, after long waiting time, someone picked up and hung up straight away.
    • Lesley1202
    • By Lesley1202 6th Nov 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lesley1202
    I wish I would have seen this before I signed up to this company, we've had no heating or hot water for 3 days, I eventually insisted they send an engineer who confirmed our boiler needed a new part fitting, I've chased this up today to be told they need authority to order the part. Ive spoken to about 7 different people 2 who have been so rude I'm fuming
    • Ajlal
    • By Ajlal 8th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ajlal
    Stay Away from Homerescue247 – rogue and unethical
    I have paid Homerescue247 full amount for whole year, after a month they changed my contract without liaising with me. According to which I paid them more than the actual service plan entails. I asked them to refund the balance, which is still not received (nearly 4 weeks have been passed)

On other hand, even worst. They sent their engineer very proactively for my boiler service, as soon as the engineer left, same night my heating system malfunctioned. I phoned them to informed, instead, they said it cannot be their fault, to help they need to check for which they asked me to pay £75 security deposit telling me it is just the security deposit we will pay you back if we ascertained that the issue is not related to the boiler. I was concerned and trusted them, so end up paying extra £75 (on top of full-year payment). Engineer confirmed that the problem nothing to do with boiler instead it is to do with the heating system valves.

I then phoned them back, to ask for £75 refund, first of all I could not get hold of them easily. No one picks up call, and finally after long waiting time, if someone picks and get the whole story, they end up refusing to help and ask to redial to other function, that happened several times (no one takes ownership). I end up speaking with 3 functions after long waiting time and several dials. Each functional advisor refused to help very rudely (except one exception). Finally, I was told, I cannot get my £75 because they sent an engineer to check. And the heating system issue is nothing to do with their engineer fault neither is covered in their plan so asked me to pay ADDITIONAL £250 TO FIX (despite I have a full comprehensive cover with them, which says I am fully covered for a central heating system including parts and labours). I then wrote a letter to their complaints department explaining all the background situation and complications and asked questions very clearly and logically, in return, I got 2 line response telling me that i cannot get my security deposit back and the problem is not covered in their plan (without addressing any logical point I made in my letter). It is such a stress, I never dealt such a rogue company before. I do not know what to do with them. Now for new claims, they ask for another £75 on top and do nothing. This kind of behaviour cannot be simply defined as unprofessional, it is WORST.

Let alone the £75 security deposit, I cannot even get my own money back which I overpaid in advance for a whole year (without knowing they will change my premium and charge access from £0 to £75. I am not too concerned for access, is the difference of premium they owe me ). I was told 4 weeks ago that refund of my premium difference has been processed in a system that I will get maximum in 14 days. After 20 days passed, I did not get any refund, and when I phoned back, they were rude and simply said they do not know why it was not processed (despite their manager Simon Jones confirmed me by email). I have sent couple of emails to Simon, but no response. This time I am informed that they have refunded the premium difference (with urgent notification), so nearly a week has gone, and I am waiting to see if that will happen. Nevertheless, if I get my annual premium difference refund or not, I am perplexed and do not know how to deal with them in future. In theory, I am covered for electricity, plumbing, boiler breakdown, central heating, home security etc., I do not know if some problem occurs and I call them, they will ask me to pay £75 again for engineer to ascertain the problem, and end up telling me that they cannot solve it unless I pay 100s of pounds (means I lose £75 as well as pay more and more to them).
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 9th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4

On other hand, even worst. They sent their engineer very proactively for my boiler service, as soon as the engineer left, same night my heating system malfunctioned. I phoned them to informed, instead, they said it cannot be their fault, to help they need to check for which they asked me to pay £75 security deposit telling me it is just the security deposit we will pay you back if we ascertained that the issue is not related to the boiler. I was concerned and trusted them, so end up paying extra £75 (on top of full-year payment). Engineer confirmed that the problem nothing to do with boiler instead it is to do with the heating system valves.

I then phoned them back, to ask for £75 refund, first of all I could not get hold of them easily. No one picks up call, and finally after long waiting time, if someone picks and get the whole story, they end up refusing to help and ask to redial to other function, that happened several times (no one takes ownership). I end up speaking with 3 functions after long waiting time and several dials. Each functional advisor refused to help very rudely (except one exception). Finally, I was told, I cannot get my £75 because they sent an engineer to check. And the heating system issue is nothing to do with their engineer fault neither is covered in their plan so asked me to pay ADDITIONAL £250 TO FIX (despite I have a full comprehensive cover with them, which says I am fully covered for a central heating system including parts and labours). I then wrote a letter to their complaints department explaining all the background situation and complications and asked questions very clearly and logically, in return, I got 2 line response telling me that i cannot get my security deposit back and the problem is not covered in their plan (without addressing any logical point I made in my letter). It is such a stress, I never dealt such a rogue company before. I do not know what to do with them. Now for new claims, they ask for another £75 on top and do nothing. This kind of behaviour cannot be simply defined as unprofessional, it is WORST.

Let alone the £75 security deposit, I cannot even get my own money back which I overpaid in advance for a whole year (without knowing they will change my premium and charge access from £0 to £75. I am not too concerned for access, is the difference of premium they owe me ). I was told 4 weeks ago that refund of my premium difference has been processed in a system that I will get maximum in 14 days. After 20 days passed, I did not get any refund, and when I phoned back, they were rude and simply said they do not know why it was not processed (despite their manager Simon Jones confirmed me by email). I have sent couple of emails to Simon, but no response. This time I am informed that they have refunded the premium difference (with urgent notification), so nearly a week has gone, and I am waiting to see if that will happen. Nevertheless, if I get my annual premium difference refund or not, I am perplexed and do not know how to deal with them in future. In theory, I am covered for electricity, plumbing, boiler breakdown, central heating, home security etc., I do not know if some problem occurs and I call them, they will ask me to pay £75 again for engineer to ascertain the problem, and end up telling me that they cannot solve it unless I pay 100s of pounds (means I lose £75 as well as pay more and more to them).
    Originally posted by Ajlal

Get in contact with you cc or the bank and call the money back.
    • woodie1942
    • By woodie1942 9th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    woodie1942
    Beware of this outfit!
    Someone on this thread mentioned cancelling Direct Debits. I did that on one of my contracts, only to find a week or so later that 24/7 HomeRescue had re-instated it without telling me! Can they legally do this? At the same time I discovered that a different contract had been "automatically" renewed by 24/7 HomeRescue at double the premium, and they had increased the Direct Debit, again without telling me! Can they legally do this? For these, and many other reasons, my advice would be to steer well clear of this outfit...
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 9th Nov 17, 5:19 PM
    • 27,112 Posts
    • 13,225 Thanks
    Cardew
    Instruct your bank to refund any disputed Direct Debit under the Direct Debit Guarantee; you do not have to justify the reason to your bank.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 9th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Instruct your bank to refund any disputed Direct Debit under the Direct Debit Guarantee; you do not have to justify the reason to your bank.
    Originally posted by Cardew

They did the same to me. I informed my bank and they called the money back and then blocked the DD.
    • woodie1942
    • By woodie1942 11th Nov 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    woodie1942
    Can we trust Trust Pilot?
    When I was looking for a boiler maintenance contract I scanned the reviews on Trust Pilot and, impressed by the high star-rating for 24/7 HomeRescue, I signed up with this company. Big mistake! It is true that their sign-up process is simple (they are keen to take your money) and the promises in their literature seem very comforting. What I did not appreciate at the time was that 24/7 HomeRescue’s contract comes with a very lengthy set of Terms & Conditions that can be effectively summarised as:- “Notwithstanding anything promised or implied in our contract, we shall be under no obligation whatsoever to respond to any call for help. Whether we respond or not, and the additional fee(s) that we charge for such response, shall be at our sole discretion.”
    After falling foul of 24/7 HomeRescue’s Terms and Conditions I took another look at those reviews on Trust Pilot. There are a few good reviews for service but most of the five-star reviews refer only to the sign-up process, and there is a suggestion that these reviews were solicited by the company. Many of these brief positive reviews are accompanied by an effusive response from 24/7 HomeRescue that includes blatant advertising! There are quite a few negative reviews, but there are also many reviews (nine in the last week) that are blocked – “247 Home Rescue reported this review for breach of Trustpilot guidelines”. Obviously I do not know what these blocked reviews actually said, but my guess would be that they were not good! Can we rely upon a review website when unscrupulous companies are permitted to manipulate their “star-rating” by soliciting positive reviews and attempting to suppress negative reviews? Can we trust Trust Pilot?
    • Andorin
    • By Andorin 13th Nov 17, 4:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Andorin
    How can we work to get the 247 scam closed down?
    Hi all,

I'm another victim of the 247 scam.

I want to get their company closed and directors sent to jail.

My approach so far is as follows:

(1) File a complaint with the Financial Conduct Authority that they should be under the remit of the Financial Ombudsman. They need to receive multiple complaints before they start looking into it. Two phone numbers are for the FCA are: 0800 111 6768, 0207 066 1000

(2) Complain to MoneySupermarket that they should not be listing 247 home rescue as providing boiler insurance because they explicitly state in their terms and conditions that they do not provide insurance. As they are unregulated they are a risk to moneysupermarket's reputation. Their email is: complaints at moneysupermarket dot com.

(3) Report MoneySupermarket to the Advertising Standards Authority. State that they should not be advertising 247 as providing insurance. Their complaint form is on the ASA website.

(4) Write to your MP. Explain that 247 is pretending to be a large insurance provider but has found loopholes exempting it from all major forms of government regulation designed to stop fraud.

(5) Report them to trading standards. The worst terms in their contracts that I've noticed are:

"For the avoidance of doubt, this is an agreement for the provision of specific services supplied at our absolute sole discretion. This is not a contract of insurance, a guarantee or an insurance policy."

and

The repeated use of "at our absolute sole discretion", i.e.

"In the event of an emergency occurring in your home, at our absolute sole discretion, we will:"

(6) File a case with the small claims court

(7) Publicly complain to TrustPilot (i.e. on twitter) about them being paid for fraudulent reviews

(8) Publicly complain to MoneySupermarket (i.e. on twitter) about them providing advertising for fraudsters

Lets screw these swines.
    • Edders54
    • By Edders54 14th Nov 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Edders54
    Having been conned by "good" reviews on Trustpilot, to my bitter regret I paid £156 by debit card as an annual payment for central heating and drains cover.
    I then took a look at their website, and being dismayed at how amateurish it looked, starting digging out some real reviews.
    Within 24 hours I decided I wanted to cancel and recoup my money (a) under the 14 day cooling-off period (actually in their T & Cs) and also under distance-selling regulations.
    I phoned and was on hold forever before being cut off. I emailed their "customer service" several times and got no reply. I sent a letter First Class via Royal Mail and got no reply, and three days later, a letter by Registered Post which was received and signed for. I obviously have copies of all my attempts at communication, timed and dated, and all within 14 days of my payment.
    I have had zero response from them and obviously no money returned.
    I have complained to Trading Standards and will shortly sue use the Small Claims Court to get my money and interest, and expenses returned.
    My advice: (a) don't go anywhere near this outfit and (b) play hardball as that's all they seem to understand.
    Quite how and why this outfit is still operating is beyond me.
    Last edited by Edders54; 14-11-2017 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
    • Hoopylass
    • By Hoopylass 14th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    Hoopylass
    I am so glad that I came across this thread. We have just taken out "cover" with this company but thankfully are within our 14 day cooling off period. Policy cancelled!

Thanks again!
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,283Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter