Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 4
    • boswick
    • By boswick 17th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    boswick
    Stay away!!
    I cannot believe how bad this company is. I called to make a claim after opening an account with 24/7 3 months ago.

(I had received no contract from the company and forgot to chase this.) busy busy!!

When telephoning to make a claim I had to wait while the adviser added my details to see if i was covered for dropping pressure to my boiler. I was told NO!!. i asked why, I was told it stated this in my contract. i explained I had not received a contract, to be told it was send to a different email address. funny that the direct debit was in the correct name!!!:
    I asked to speak to a manager, i was told he would call in 24-48 hours. after getting no where at all, I ended the call through frustration and the adviser was not helpful at all.

I logged on to my account with the reference number I had now been given to check the cover. ''surprise surprise'' no mention of not been covered. one comment only in exclusions ''any outstanding repairs need to be dealt with before entering in to contract''...
    I called back to be put through to a charmless rude adviser called Chantelle who would not let me get a word in at all. when I finally told her my contract said nothing about not been covered, answer she interrupted and asked me when the problem occurred I said a week ago, she quickly said I was not covered as it clearly says it has to be reported in 24 hours. it doesn't on the online contract I now have access to I again tried to speak stating I have not had a contract sent to me she then said is your email address ************ I said yes she then said its been sent to you. I replied why did your colleague say its been sent to a different address? every time I gave an answer she changed to something different, and continued to talk me down.. I asked again to speak to a manager and was told he would tell me the same.
    I said what am I paying for, as it appears to be nothing. I am going to report the company to ombudsman. she was not phased, and continued to be rude and complaisant.

Where is the imaginary contract that I should have. I have never made a claim for any insurance, so cannot believe i have been treated this way. I would laugh if I wasn't so upset. this must be fraud, and I truly believe that any good reviews are action-ed with in the company.
    This is the first bad review of any kind I have posted. I feel totally betrayed by these cowboys.

What can I do?
    • B_M
    • By B_M 23rd Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    B_M
    I am going to report the company to ombudsman. she was not phased, and continued to be rude and complaisant.

What can I do?
    Originally posted by boswick
    An Ombudsman? Sadly, they appear to be unregulated, or self-regulated. Yes, they will laugh in your face and even taunt you.
    Stick to insurance backed schemes as at least they are regulated.

Trading Standards are on their case, so maybe give them a call. Hopefully the crooks will get their comeuppance.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
    • boswick
    • By boswick 24th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    boswick
    Thank you for your advise, it is much appreciated... I also put a review on trust pilot, I had a email saying 24/7 had made a complaint about my wording and was asked to edit the review. I did take the words cowboys, fraud and they write their own positive reviews out of the review. I then had a response from 24/7 basically saying adviser was correct as not covered as didn't report fault in 24 hours, nothing about the terrible customer service. I hope they lose business, they need to be stopped from trading
    • B_M
    • By B_M 24th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    B_M
    boswick - good luck, but they really know how to cheat the system and that they are virtually untouchable. Good at what they do (as cheats), but useless and dishonest at what they should do.
    They've been manipulating Trustpilot for years and possibly how they keep trading. See how many single reviews there are. Customers that have only reviewed 247, yet no other company, ever. Genuine complaints do get removed, from them (247).
    But, take Trustpilot reviews as a pinch of salt and they are as bad, if not worse than Tripdvisor etc.
    Last edited by B_M; 24-03-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
    • _Anna_
    • By _Anna_ 4th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    _Anna_
    Hi,
    I've had very bad experience with 24/7 Home Service (very similar to what others wrote above): not happy with work of their plumber - sent a complaint - they have never replied - sent another complaint to their postal address - they have never replied - wrote a review on Trustpilot - they reported it ("Reviewer does not comment on the buying experience" - yes, I did not comment on my buying experience, I did comment on how they deal with complaints). I am wondering what else I can do? Some people mentioned Trading Standards. Is it an organisation I need to report them? Have Trading Standards helped to someone here?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 11th Apr 17, 4:45 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Warning!!

I have been a member of 24/7 Home Rescue.

Let me explain the differences. Home Rescue only cover breakdown and they decide what that means. So if the fault is intermittent or you have hot water only if the central heating is on. (probe/sensor fault) You will not be covered!

They only use contractors.

They have a system that they can decide if the repair is uneconomical to repair. 60% nonsense. Please note this is not the same as parts are not available or unable to repair. The will just cancel your contract or ask you to pay the difference.

You must tell them in 24 hours of a fault! Why that matters I do not know!?

24/7 Home Rescue actively encourage their member to post on TrustPilot positive comments.

Warning you have to have had a service in the last year before you call them. Or you will be charged extra.

You will not be covered for loss of pressure and they do not employ a leak team either!

**They belong to no body or ombudsman.**
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 12-04-2017 at 3:28 PM.
    • linzen
    • By linzen 12th Apr 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    linzen
    linzen
    This has happened to me. I will also be complaining to Watchdog. It is false advertising. I BOUGHT THE PREMIUM INSURANCE FOR MY BOILER.
    They state no hidden costs, and yet if there is a problem, they say that I should have read the small print.... where is says that that problem is not covered, because we have heating and hot water (it is a leak in the boiler) and it is not an emergency and then attempted to charge me 85 plus vat, which I actually bargained down to 60 inclusive. Then they turn up, say they can't fix it.... and leave me hanging not knowing if they are going to attempt to charge me more to fix it...
    Apart from one person, and I spoke to many including one of the supervisors, were rude and unhelpful. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY..... IT IS A CON..... THEIR ADVERTISING IS FALSE.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 15,342 Posts
    • 11,170 Thanks
    hollydays
    Warning!!

I have been a member of 24/7 Home Rescue.

Let me explain the differences. Home Rescue only cover breakdown and they decide what that means. So if the fault is intermittent or you have hot water only if the central heating is on. (probe/sensor fault) You will not be covered!

They only use contractors.

They have a system that they can decide if the repair is uneconomical to repair. 60% nonsense. Please note this is not the same as parts are not available or unable to repair. The will just cancel your contract or ask you to pay the difference.

You must tell them in 24 hours of a fault! Why that matters I do not know!?

24/7 Home Rescue actively encourage their member to post on here/TrustPilot positive comments.

Warning you have to have had a service in the last year before you call them. Or you will be charged extra.

You will not be covered for loss of pressure and they do not employ a leak team either!

**They belong to no body or ombudsman.**
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    Duplicate posting.
    Where is it written they encourage people to post positive comments on here?
    What possible incentive could there be
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Apr 17, 12:32 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    24/7 Home Rescue actively encourage their member to post on here/TrustPilot positive comments.

My bad. I originally wrote the review for TrustPilot but I should have removed the "on here." It would have made sense on TP.

TP out of interest even acknowledged they encourage positive reviews from their members on the TP site.

That said..............no one has died!
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 12-04-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 15,342 Posts
    • 11,170 Thanks
    hollydays

My bad. I originally wrote the review for TrustPilot but I should have removed the "on here." It would have made sense on TP.

TP out of interest even acknowledged they encourage positive reviews from their members on the TP site.

That said..............no one has died!
    So which two sites did the on here/ trustpilot comment refer to ?
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Apr 17, 3:24 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Like I said........if you read it as being on Trustpilot then it's fine. 24/7 Home Rescue encourage their members to post positive reviews on the TP site. TP confirm this on the review page. Its not illegal but it does help in your assessment. 24/7 also flag nearly all negative comments. 24/7 and other companies can also be members of TP. 24/7 Are. They are all over the site and you can watch poor reviews being removed/flagged in less than an hour. TP confirms them as members. They also look as if they pay for the additional services which comes with a fee to TP.

I should have removed the "on here" for this site. I have edited it now. For risk of boring everyone.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 12-04-2017 at 3:38 PM. Reason: add
    • B_M
    • By B_M 12th Apr 17, 8:03 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    B_M
    For issues, contact Adviceguide - 0345 4040506.
    Or, straight to Trading Standards who are supposed to be investigating these cowboys.
    If you have a local Consumer Champion in your local newspaper, that is another avenue.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 13th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    B_M

You really have to read some of the reviews to know how bad this company are. It is as if there sole purpose is to get out of supplying any service and jacking up the fees. Their T&C have to be read to be believed. Please don't confuse their service with others like British Gas.

I have spent the last few weeks reading all the reviews...........till they are removed. Its got to be a WatchDog show!!
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 13-04-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    • B_M
    • By B_M 13th Apr 17, 6:46 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    B_M
    B_M

You really have to read some of the reviews to know how bad this company are. It is as if there sole purpose is to get out of supplying any service and jacking up the fees. Their T&C have to be read to be believed. Please don't confuse their service with others like British Gas.

I have spent the last few weeks reading all the reviews...........till they are removed. Its got to be a Watchdog show!!
    I know how bad they are, how really bad they are.
    But I believe you are wasting your time with Watchdog. Great if they'd show on tv how these cowboys behave (or don't), but it would take time, if Watchdog were interested.
    I don't confuse them with British Gas (BG) and BG are regulated. 247 HR are basically service based and totally unregulated. They found a way of scamming and although they flout the T&C's and marketing material is false, it will take someone like Trading Standards to prosecute them. They need shutting down and hopefully they will be shut down eventually. But, scammers will find another lucrative scam.

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF JOINING 247 HOME RESCUE, PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK. SAVE YOUR MONEY, OR PAY A LITTLE EXTRA FOR A PROPER SERVICE.

Anyone going in after reading how they operate, can't really complain. Those that found out too late, yes they have a grievance.
    • EasyLay
    • By EasyLay 20th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    EasyLay
    Abysmal service. We had a fault with our boiler and rang the helpline expecting an engineer to be sent out within a few hours. Unfortunately the “247” company name clearly does not mean “24 hours 7 days per week”. 48 hours of chasing the 247 helpline (a bunch of kids) and the engineers we have still not had our problem resolved. They did send an engineer but it took ages to arrange an appointment as they weren’t calling the contact number I gave them and didn’t reply to my calls. When he eventually came he spent most of the time googling a solution on his phone before calling his office asking for advice. He ran the taps and declared it a fix, but unfortunately the boiler broke down an hour after he left. I think the worst thing about this company is that they were so quick to extract our £75 excess fee but since then all we have done is chase them and days later we still don’t have central heating or hot water. We keep calling the helpline, they apologise and promise to call back (and don’t), yet we still have no idea when another engineer will be call to arrange an appointment. As soon as the issue is fixed we are going to close our account with them. My advice; avoid this company like the plague!
    • gillyd123
    • By gillyd123 22nd Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gillyd123
    Has anyone successfully got compensation or taken 24/7 to court?
    After appalling service, being 200 quid out of pocket and stuck with them for 12 months I would like justice done and this company's practices stopped. Has anyone had any luck?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 22nd Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 27,567 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    After appalling service, being 200 quid out of pocket and stuck with them for 12 months I would like justice done and this company's practices stopped. Has anyone had any luck?
    Originally posted by gillyd123
    Nope! And tbh, I have no idea what you're on about.
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • jicms
    • By jicms 2nd May 17, 12:27 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    jicms
    Auto Renewals
    My premium started at £11 two years ago; last year it suddenly went to £14 without notification. I've just been emailed to inform me of my renewal. On logging on and "viewing" my account the premium is now £21. They don't of course state the current premium, that's down to customers to check themselves.

I never authorised auto-renewal and don't intend to renew due to the terrible service they provide and the idiots employed by the call centre (that's if you manage to get to speak to someone). I've spent 20 minutes trying to speak to the right department. The only extension that picks up is sales (surprise surprise). They just click me through to what they say is the correct line which doesn't answer.

I've now emailed but 5 days later no reply. I have no idea when my current monthly premium will increase (my policy commenced in the month of September) so will just have to cancel the direct debit as I don't want to waste any more of my time with this incompetent company.

I'll be seeking a quote from British Gas and shopping around for an alternative.
    Last edited by jicms; 02-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    • B_M
    • By B_M 3rd May 17, 9:03 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    B_M
    My premium started at £11 two years ago; last year it suddenly went to £14 without notification. I've just been emailed to inform me of my renewal. On logging on and "viewing" my account the premium is now £21. They don't of course state the current premium, that's down to customers to check themselves.

I never authorised auto-renewal and don't intend to renew due to the terrible service they provide and the idiots employed by the call centre (that's if you manage to get to speak to someone). I've spent 20 minutes trying to speak to the right department. The only extension that picks up is sales (surprise surprise). They just click me through to what they say is the correct line which doesn't answer.

I've now emailed but 5 days later no reply. I have no idea when my current monthly premium will increase (my policy commenced in the month of September) so will just have to cancel the direct debit as I don't want to waste any more of my time with this incompetent company.

I'll be seeking a quote from British Gas and shopping around for an alternative.
    Originally posted by jicms
    That's 247 HR for you!
    Transferring you to a different line? lol
    It's all about scamming you.
    Send an email advising you don't want to renew and contact your bank advising of possible non-authorised payments. They may threaten you with legal action, but it's just their sad little game. They will normally 'threaten' you on a Friday or Saturday, possibly by bored staff wanting a little fun. They don't go ahead with legal actions though, as they are acting dishonestly (cleaned up version).
    I believe they scrapped 12 month contracts a while back and are now operating a month to month 'operation'. If you haven't had notification, well in advance, of any price increase, they are in breach of contract.
    Good luck and hopefully the net is closing and the price increases are because of lost customers and they are facing the end.
    Still consider Trading Standards though, even if just to register your issue.
    • GeorgeRB
    • By GeorgeRB 8th May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GeorgeRB
    I was so unhappy with the level of service (or lack of it) from 24/7 home rescue when I had a boiler break down that I called in British Gas ..... read on:-
    No radiators generating any heat but hot water OK.
    Called 24/7 and waited 25 minutes before an answer.
    Told that I had to pay £75 as boiler not serviced in previous 12 months.
    It is in the Ts & Cs !!!
    I agreed and an engineer came that afternoon.
    30 seconds checking boiled and he declared it was my pump. The boiler was 100% OK.
    Pump needed replacing. Would call back next morning to fit a new one.
    3 days no heat and, following the visit, no hot water.
    Next day about noon a call to 24/7 revealed I had to pay a further £221 to drain down my whole system.
    Why?
    Because there were no cutoff valves on the pump it needs to be drained down.
    I sent them a photo of the pump and cut off valves !!
    I called and asked to talk to a Manager. Promised they would call within next 24 - 48 hours.
    I called in British Gas who came out within 3 hours.
    They condemned the boiled and switched it all off.

I reported these facts to CAB and they have passed it to Trading Standards.

New boiler installed within the week and still not heard from the 24/7 team.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,157Posts Today

8,210Users online

Martin's Twitter