Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 2
    • parkmortgages
    • By parkmortgages 15th Oct 16, 7:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    parkmortgages
    24/7 Home Rescue AVOID !!!!
    This Co. appeared to be cheaper than British Gas for my Let Property boiler cover,so I joined up to a 12 month contract.However when my tenant rang to call an Engineer out after the Boiler had stopped working,a series of questions were put to her. 'It started to play up 3 weeks ago after your Engineer serviced it' is the Phrase that delighted the call centre girl.'Because you didn't notify us 3 weeks ago,we can't come out'.
    'If I am in the AA I call them out when the car has broken down, not when its playing up' she tried.
    'Read your terms and conditions' was the reply.
    I can imagine that there is a very small dept to help the Customer,and a great Big one to try and wiggle out of any claims.
    This Company is exactly what you don't want in an Emergency.It's like lending you an Umbrella when its sunny and asking for it back as soon as it rains !
    Do not be fooled by the (slightly) cheaper premiums,Life is too short.
    • donsince81
    • By donsince81 8th Nov 16, 1:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    donsince81
    I have kitchen applicance cover with them, I called to say my dryer is not drying. They say fine we will send someone out - Great. I then get a call saying claims have rejected saying "its not a mechanical fault". WTF...........I asked the agent to explain how a dryer that is not drying cannot be covered they said "I dont know". This company appears a scam who tell agents to give default answers to wriggle out of claims. I have smashed their twitter page and written a complaint, Oh yeah you cannot speak to anyone about a complaint either, have to send an email. I bet I get nothing back. I will raise this with trading standards and watchdog if they dont get back to me soon. Joke company trying to rip honest people off.
    • drizzlehell
    • By drizzlehell 10th Nov 16, 10:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    drizzlehell
    We are glad we found this thread as it gives us a home to record our own experiences with 24/7 Home Rescue. Myself and my family, including a 3 year old girl and 6 year old boy are currently suffering as a result of this company's actions which have not only been unethical but are possibly bordering on criminal.

In short, we tried to make a claim on our policy for our heating not working, and our policy was cancelled with immediate effect.

In more detail, our heating stopped working on Sunday evening, and we reported this to 24/7 Home Rescue the following Monday evening. We expected to get an engineer visit either the same day, or very early the next since they advertise that if you have anyone in your home under 5 years old then they will endeavour to achieve this. Our Engineer did not arrive until the Wednesday after a series of ‘mistakes’ by 24/7 Home Rescue - firstly, they forgot to take our policy excess of £75, so when we phoned back to find out where the engineer was, they told us he had never been booked because they forgot to take our excess. We paid as soon as we were asked and were then told that an Engineer would visit the following day (Wednesday). Wednesday rolls around - no Engineer. We phoned again, this time, it turned out that they had cancelled the Engineer visit, but were unable to tell us why. They rebooked it, and fortunately the Engineer was finally able to attend later that day.

The Engineer spent a short while looking at our system and determined that the 3-port valve needed replacing and that the thermostat required replacing. He shared the cost with us - £284 including parts and labour, plus VAT, so in total £340.80. From here, we assumed plain sailing, the Engineer had been, diagnosed the problem, and said he would return on Thursday to fix it.

Thursday lunchtime - a call from 24/7 Home Rescue to my Wife. “We have cancelled your claim and your policy with immediate effect because your boiler is beyond economic repair.” My Wife was extremely upset and in tears having spent 4 nights with small children with no heating in this current extreme weather we are experiencing.

At this point I decided I needed to speak to them to find out exactly what was going on. I called and spoke with a man who claimed to be called James Thomas - the Head of the Authorisation Department. I asked if the call was being recorded, he said No (despite the on-hold message telling me that it was). I asked if I could record it, he said if I did, he would immediately hang up.

James confirmed that they had cancelled the policy because the boiler was beyond economical repair, and they only pay up to 60% of the value of a boiler, taking depreciation into account, and with that in mind, our boiler, an Ideal Classic, was currently only worth £210, so 60% of that is £126. So I am only covered for £126 on a policy that I pay £9.60 a month for, which is £115.20. I pointed out that this did not seem fair “It was your choice to take out the policy” came the response. The policy is worth nothing to us based on this. More on “Beyond Economic Repair” below after I got chance to read their terms and conditions.

‘James’ also told me that the thermostat was not covered by our policy, and this had been quoted at £39 by the Plumber. ‘James’ sent me an email with a sentence from the plumber in it that simply read “The job is a min of 3 hours just on the valve as it needs draining off and filling back up. If the system airlocks which gravity fed do ill end up there for 5-6 hours. The stat is a 2min job”, as I asked for some evidence of anything! The email came from someone called Aaron, not James.

They have not provided an annual boiler service which is included in the cost of our policy - we have held the policy for seven months, and in their defence it does say that we should get a boiler service between 8-12 months. I asked for a refund of either some of the money we had paid them since we were now not going to get a boiler service, or a refund of the £75 excess, since they were not going to fix anything. I was told in no uncertain terms there would be no such refund. As it stands, I have paid them £142.20 so far, which is the cost of the policy each month, plus the £75 excess. Our boiler is still broken, our Children are cold, and we have to pay to fix it ourselves just before Christmas despite having cover in place.

Now, some of the above may or may not seem reasonable on their behalf, but when you dig into the terms and conditions, they have made a few glaring errors:

Cancelling the Contract - “We may cancel the service contract at any time by sending 14 days’ notice to you at your last known address” - They are in breach of their terms and conditions since the policy was cancelled with no notice.

Their definition of Beyond Economic Repair was explained to me on the phone as “the retail cost of your boiler, minus depreciation” - ‘James’ googled the model, found it for £609, and then used an unknown algorithm to arrive at £210, and as above said we were covered for only 60% of this. (£126). Their terms and conditions state: “Beyond Economic Repair - means in the opinion of our approved engineer, the cost of repair is 60% of the manufacturer’s current retail price.” Depreciation is not mentioned anywhere, at all.
    Assuming that around £609 does represent somewhere near the retail price, then we should be covered for 60% of this - £365.40, well over what the Engineer quoted (£340.80).

My wife phoned back to point out these inconsistencies with the terms and conditions, and was told that they could see I had spoken with Aaron previously - so he had indeed lied to me about his name. She has now logged an official complaint with them and informed us that Management will be in touch within 48 hours. They also confirmed that the boiler claim cannot and will not be progressed since we no longer have an account with them because they have cancelled it!

We are absolutely appalled by the Customer Service and the timeline of events. It is extremely unethical and they have breached their terms and conditions in at least two ways. We will wait for 48 hours, and if no satisfactory conclusion is reached then we shall contact both Trading Standards and Watchdog. I guess we also have the option of a No Win No Fee lawyer available to us.

Let’s see.
    • heath.rd
    • By heath.rd 14th Nov 16, 2:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    heath.rd
    AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL and they are a FRAUD company
    I took out service plan number WS0106379. However I've had NOTHING buy trouble with these guys.

I had an issue with my boiler, an engineer was sent out, who did pretty much nothing and went away. He also reported that when he was got to the property, there was heating and hot water ALREADY at the property. This was a lie. There had been no heating an no hot water at the property for a number of days. He then went away without doing much. The problem persisted. Now I am being asked me to pay for the callout AGAIN - FOR THE SAME PROBLEM...!!!!!!!!

I had spoken to Chanel previously in "Claims" who assured me that for a recurrence of the same issue no callout will be charged but Hannah (also in Claims) then decided that another £75 was required for callout charges. This is RIDICULOUS! These guys are a fradulent money-making scam shop. I have followed all the procedures but this is like duping the customers big time.

I then rang to cancel my contract and was told by Paul Tate that no refund will be issued. This HAS to be the most bizarre set up ever! I have never seen such shoddy work ethics and the customer service is APPALLING.

The staff are RUDE. Especially Hannah in "Claims" is absolutely AWFUL, shockingly rude. I have asked to speak to her manager. 2 days later - NOTHING.

Horrible customer service, terrible service, no work ethics, and generally a really really really bad organisation to EVER have to deal with.
    • riboid
    • By riboid 17th Nov 16, 1:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    riboid
    Scam alert 247 homerescue
    Just wish I done the due diligence bit before even looking at this shambles of a company.

We made a claim for a boiler, they said it would be 75 excess charge. I looked through my terms and conditions and could find no entry for this. I emailed them and asked them to look through the t &c's, which I received no reply. I was then told via email that these terms and conditions did not apply anymore and that I was sent out a new terms and conditions contract. I told them I did not receive any such document and could they provide evidence that they did indeed post it out. To date, no reply from them, even Kevin at the complains department. I then cancelled my direct debits, only then to receive a call indicating that as I have made a claim, then I would be liable for a 12 months contract or pay the cancellation fee.

I have sent them a letter stating breach of contract, as advised by Citizens Advice Bureau as they cannot prove to me that they have sent out new terms and conditions.

PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THIS SCAM COMPANY.

Regards
    Scott
    • rolybrom
    • By rolybrom 18th Nov 16, 4:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rolybrom
    24/7 HOME RESCUE IS THE SORT OF COVER YOU DON’T WANT!

The more this company is exposed the better. I see from all the negative reviews that have been left, there have been quite a few people that had the same thing happen to them. So I would advise anybody to stay well clear of them and if they have been caught out by 24/7 Home recue to report accordingly.
    Last edited by rolybrom; 18-11-2016 at 4:37 PM. Reason: To make my review stand out more
    • Moussa2016
    • By Moussa2016 19th Nov 16, 12:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Moussa2016
    Warning – do not use this company – it’s a scam
    I took out a Boiler Care agreement with this company and wasted my time, energy and money.
    Upon reporting a fault with my boiler I was asked to deposit £75 excess charge prior to an engineer coming out. There is no mention of this in any of the Company’s documentation!
    The engineer came out and diagnosed a problem with the Thermistor. He stated that he would email the diagnosis to 24/7 and they would be in contact to arrange the actual repair. A thermistor for my boiler costs a maximum £20 to replace.
    A few days later I got a call from a rather aggressive 24/7 operator claiming to be the Operational Manager (gave his name reluctantly as Oliver, then James then Oliver James). I doubt if it’s any of these. He informed me that I required a new pump. He further explained that because the price of a new pump is more than 60% of the value of my boiler 24/7 were not obliged to fix it. However for a “special” price of £320 he could arrange for the manufacturer to fix the problem. My choices were pay £320 to have the boiler fixed or to have the boiler declared beyond economical repair with no financial contribution from 24/7.
    Luckily I had the phone number of the engineer who first came out so I contacted him to clarify the nature of the repair – he confirmed a replacement Thermistor. I contacted 24/7 to highlight the discrepancy.
    A few hours later Mr Oliver James phoned to tell me that the engineer had made a mistake and that the diagnosis was a faulty Thermistor but possibly a faulty PCB Board. Mr James went on to explain that the company would wish to ensure that I was left with a fully functioning boiler and to make sure they would replace the faulty Thermistor and replace the PCB Board.
    Of course the price of a PCB Board is more than 60% of the value of my boiler and 24/7 were not obliged to fix it (the market value of a PCB Board for my boiler is circa £180).
    However for a “special” price of £320 (note the amount) he could arrange for the manufacturer to fix the problem. My choices were pay £320 to have the boiler fixed or to have the boiler declared beyond economical repair with no financial contribution from 24/7.
    I enquired why 24/7 would not just fix the Thermistor but was told that 24/7 is “just not that type of company.” Mr James went on to explain that as a professional practitioner (he did not say of what) of FIVE Years he could not understand why I felt I was not getting a bargain.
    I asked to speak to his superior but he explained that the Managing Director was in New York. It beggared belief that Mr James held such an exalted position as second in command at 24/7. I should have felt privileged that such a “Senior Manager” contacted me in the first place.
    Needless to say – my direct debit contributions have been cancelled and credit card transactions halted.
    DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THIS COMPANY
    • rolybrom
    • By rolybrom 19th Nov 16, 9:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rolybrom
    24-7 Home-Rescue
    Diabolical fits them perfectly

We were caught out with this company as well. Free call out, labour and parts, reliable and professional etc. Sounds great doesn’t it? Until you make a claim. That’s when you find out none of this is true and your so called cover is worthless! They don’t fix anything unless you contribute to the repair. So what’s happened to the boiler cover exactly, you might ask? Well, they have this trick of boosting up the price of the parts and then say the boiler is beyond economical repair. They told me the parts would cost £940. Nearly the price of a new boiler? Remember you are supposed to be covered up to £1,000 per call out. Google the parts yourself and it’s a fraction of that!. In reality you find not all the parts quoted are even used due to mis-diagnosis and like the other guy we got stung for £200 as well. This is on top of the monthly payments ofcourse. Their complaints department is also a sham and needless to say, they don’t even follow their own complaints procedure. Go to Trust Pilot reviews of 24/7 Home Rescue and filter by stars. Select one star to get the real picture. Allow a bit of time ‘cause you’ll be there for quite a while reading other people’s disaster stories. Even their replies to the reviews are condescending! Better off finding somebody locally. Or if your prepared to pay for proper cover:- British Gas or Homeserve!!!
    • rolybrom
    • By rolybrom 20th Nov 16, 9:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rolybrom
    Great Review
    You've got it in one with this outfit. As advised by Citizen's Advice my case is presently with the Ombudsman and if no joy I'll take it to a small claims court.
    • brown_ambassador
    • By brown_ambassador 21st Nov 16, 10:15 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    brown_ambassador
    Just very poor from start to finish
    Have had possibly the worst service I have ever had from a company.
    1. MASSIVE hassle getting you guys to actually book and attend an appointment:
    First appointment cancelled the day before - apparently an "emergency callout" and we would be contacted to rearrange. No one contacted us. I contacted 3 times after failed call backs and was given the number of the engineer to call myself. After several times of the number not being answered or returned, finally they answered and said they no longer service our area (therefore the 'emergency callout' to me sounds like a lie). I then had to make 2 further calls before finally we got a call back from the company who did finally attend

2. my wife (who was in during the call) reported the engineer to be grumpy, unhelpful and unfriendly throughout the visit. It was the end of the day and it seemed like he was certainly not up for going the extra mm let alone mile for his customer. He also complained that the water tank was in the loft (there is easy access with a pull down ladder). In her words "not someone I would invite back into our house".

3. He refused to carry out the boiler service, Your engineer believes there are issues with the installation of the boiler. This has not been raised by the 2 other engineers who have serviced the boiler since its installation 3 years ago.

4. I have now paid for the annual boiler service, have had nothing but hassle to date and no actual service, and now am having nothing but hassle with your complaints team. After initially only offering me a partial refund (due by today according to their 10 working days in the email), they now refuse to return my emails or calls. I have called to put in a complaint about the complaints department and the person on the phone refuses to put me through to a manager. Promises to call me back go unanswered. This is an utter shambles from start to finish.
    • drizzlehell
    • By drizzlehell 21st Nov 16, 5:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    drizzlehell
    MSE Help?
    Is there anything anyone at MSE can do to help? The service we and many others have had and the way we have all been treated is nothing short of criminal - they refuse to deal with complaints, never return calls, break their terms and conditions and outright lie and are extremely rude on the phones, even giving false names - they appear to be a total scam and it needs sorting out. We have drafted our own letters to Trading Standards and Citizens Advice are helping us out with this, but 24/7 Home Rescue cannot and should not be allowed to continue operating in this manner.
    • sanchosser
    • By sanchosser 30th Nov 16, 12:06 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sanchosser
    24/7 Home Rescue - avoid like the plague
    A truly awful company. I could list the whole entire, horrible episode, but this will give you a flavour:

Turned up without notice. As we were going out and the two men had never heard of 24/7 (and were from a different company) we didn't let them in. We got charged £75 for this failed visit, on top of the original £75 excess.

After lots of effort to get it sorted, they turned up and said they don't do lofts, and had no ladder. Refused to use our own ladder, so company wanted us to pay £65 for them to hire a ladder.

This despite being on a £0 excess policy!

Unbelievable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,981Posts Today

7,112Users online

Martin's Twitter