Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Freezing
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue
    • 26th Dec 14, 10:26 PM
    Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue 26th Dec 14 at 10:26 PM
    Dear all

I just wanted to give some feed back on the terrible service we have had this Christmas from 24/7 Home Rescue.

Firstly, they are not 24/7 - whist you can make a claim with the engineering company they outsource their work to, you can't actually speak to them directly because they are closed until 5 January 2015! Which company in this day and age is closed for this long without someone being available to contact, especially when the say they are 24/7? I have asked the online "webchat" machine wether they have an emergency number they can contact and all I got was an evasive answer to the effect of "someone will call you soon" presumably when they re-open on 5 January!

Long and short of the story is that we had problems with our boiler. They sent out someone to look at it. This engineer reset the boiler and went on his way. The problems persisted and 24/7 have not sent someone to look at the boiler again as they think the problem is a pressure issue. How would they know this without even looking at the boiler after the problems persisted? Any way, it's a fault with the boiler itself but they won't send anyone out to have a look at it. The boiler has broken down again and when I called the third party engineering line we were told there was a note on the system not to send an engineer out until the dispute was investigated. Problem is, they are closed over Christmas and there is no one we can speak to.

If there was an issue which was genuinely not covered the policy then fine, we would get it fixed. But they they allegedly fixed our boiler then when the problems persisted they said it was a problem with the pressure without even looking at the boiler. Also, pressure isn't specifically excluded from the terms of their service.

I have used both British Gas and Homeserve before and for all their faults, at least you can speak to a person at the company over Christmas. Out of Homeserve and British Gas, I would say Homeserve were the best so will be going back to them.

I am sorry to say that these smaller independent companies really don't provide the same level of service.

Sorry for the rant but I was most disappointed to hear the company left us without cover over Christmas.

We've got the electric heaters on for now!
Page 1
    • DaveTheMus
    • By DaveTheMus 26th Dec 14, 11:24 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 5,409 Thanks
    DaveTheMus
    • 26th Dec 14, 11:24 PM
    • 26th Dec 14, 11:24 PM
    These companies are cheap for a reason...
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Freezing
    • 27th Dec 14, 8:37 AM
    • 27th Dec 14, 8:37 AM
    Too true. To add insult to injury they have been tweeting away all through the Xmas period but won't bother answering or returning customer calls because they are closed until 5 January!
  • 247homerescue
    • 16th Feb 15, 3:36 PM
    • 16th Feb 15, 3:36 PM
    MSE HAVE GIVEN 24/7 HOME RESCUE PERMISSION TO POST THE FOLLOWING:

Hello,

We regret to hear that you experienced problems recently.

Our emergency line [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] was open throughout the Christmas and New Year period, as was our online webchat service. This information was outlined on our social media pages and our website home page, and the emergency line number is displayed in our terms and conditions and on the documentation you received when you signed up with us.

We would like to investigate this issue further. Please contact us when you are available.
    Last edited by MSE Investigator; 17-02-2015 at 9:15 AM.
  • Petty
    • 25th Jun 15, 10:00 PM
    • 25th Jun 15, 10:00 PM
    Yes I too are having great difficulties 24/7 Home & Rescue. Their service is sub-standard. Having taken out a policy with them in Dec 2014, paying my premium and they having undertaken a service in Feb 2015, they are now refusing to undertake a repair covered by the insurance. Furthermore, they are also refusing further cover under the policy as a result of their engineer's report, who actually never opened the boiler cover to investigate the problem. Total stay no longer than longer than 15mins. Ongoing saga and i'm pursuing this until i receive satisfaction. Be warned people!!
    • gillykins42
    • By gillykins42 6th Aug 15, 7:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gillykins42
    • 6th Aug 15, 7:18 AM
    24/7 Home Rescue
    • 6th Aug 15, 7:18 AM
    I recently telephoned a number that was offering free call outs to fix my fridge freezer, the lady who answered said that they could send an engineer out for a one off price of £60 which would cover repairs up to £150 and for peace of for the future by taking out a policy covering me for a further 12 months for £5 which I agreed to do.
    An engineer came around and said it was beyond economical repair and that 24/7 would contact me the next day to arrange a possible replacement.
    I heard nothing over the next 3 days so contacted them who then informed me that they couldn't do anything for me and cancelled my policy and when I questioned the one off £60 they said that was non- refundable. I told them that I wasn't told that when I took out the policy and initially contacted them because of the free call out.
    Feel totally cheated, has anyone else experienced this and is it legal???
    • katyb70
    • By katyb70 29th Oct 15, 4:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    katyb70
    • 29th Oct 15, 4:56 PM
    • 29th Oct 15, 4:56 PM
    I too have been cheated by this company. Took out boiler cover but when a major repair needed they have just dumped me also stating it "wasn't worth repairing". They said I'd called them out 6 times (a lie) although it shouldn't matter as the cover boasts unlimited call outs. Also the cover says it will go to £1000 per repair. Another lie as this repair would have come in under that. Disgusting.
    Last edited by katyb70; 29-10-2015 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more
    • Skingags
    • By Skingags 29th Oct 15, 7:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Skingags
    • 29th Oct 15, 7:28 PM
    • 29th Oct 15, 7:28 PM
    Put me on the long list of unhappy 247 customers, called them out to a central heating fault, a plumber came out the next day and said the pump had failed. Did not hear a thing from 247, had to call twice before they said it wasn't covered as the cost was more than 60% of the value of the boiler £390,( what happened to the £1000 per call out max ) I explained the pump had nothing to do with the boiler but they ignored me, it turns out that it was more than 60% of the pump (a non-repairable item). I can't think of any thing that would be covered under this policy so have canceled the policy, they have now said they will give a contribution towards my costs having had the job done by a local plumber, but if I accept I will be locked into a contract for another 12 months, thats [ £240 ) they have got a nerve, I will be using my local plumber in future. Now I'm being threatened with cancelation fees. Disgusting and more.
    • katyb70
    • By katyb70 1st Nov 15, 10:28 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    katyb70
    • 1st Nov 15, 10:28 AM
    • 1st Nov 15, 10:28 AM
    I've reported them to Watchdog. If a few more did there might be a chance to expose them.
    • katyb70
    • By katyb70 1st Nov 15, 10:32 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    katyb70
    Put me on the long list of unhappy 247 customers, called them out to a central heating fault, a plumber came out the next day and said the pump had failed. Did not hear a thing from 247, had to call twice before they said it wasn't covered as the cost was more than 60% of the value of the boiler £390,( what happened to the £1000 per call out max ) I explained the pump had nothing to do with the boiler but they ignored me, it turns out that it was more than 60% of the pump (a non-repairable item). I can't think of any thing that would be covered under this policy so have canceled the policy, they have now said they will give a contribution towards my costs having had the job done by a local plumber, but if I accept I will be locked into a contract for another 12 months, thats [ £240 ) they have got a nerve, I will be using my local plumber in future. Now I'm being threatened with cancelation fees. Disgusting and more.
    Originally posted by Skingags
    When i said i wanted to cancel they said i would have to pay £120 and if i didn't they would refer it to debt collectors. Now they actually want to dump me, but don't suppose i'll get a cancellation fee! And my boiler is broken!
    • Mally R
    • By Mally R 4th Nov 15, 5:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mally R
    Unbelievable 247 !!
    Don't ever use this company. Their service and advisers are appalling. I have been with them two years. For the first years service the plumber turned up at the wrong TOWN and claimed we were not in ! We did eventually get the service done but this year they failed to turn up at the appointed time and left without doing the job - but 247 claim it was done . Then the boiler broke down . A simple seal (cost £8) failed . The plumber they sent could not remove the nut to release this seal so attacked it with a hammer & chisel, causing a lot more damage to the manifold and letting the water spread all over the boiler electronics. A THREE WEEK wait for extra parts (basically for a BS standard nut 28mm which cost us £2.40 from local Wicks - but they could not obtain one) before the repairs were completed. Then a week after that repair the electronics failed, because of the water damage he initiated. 247 could not even get us a plumber on this occasion (obviously we did not want Mr Neanderthal back). At their request I had to source my own plumber & parts and bill them. They did pay up in the end, but now obviously I don't want to use them again. Before the plans anniversary date I cancelled the 30 day rolling plan giving them the required notice but now they have the cheek to tell me I will have to pay a further £120 for "boiler & service charge" whatever that's supposed to be. So in effect I will pay for my own repairs !! We're still arguing over that; their terms & conditions are vague and ambiguous. I will be discussing this with my solicitor. Their advisers were very condescending whenever we complained and letters went unanswered. Any correspondence from them is always unsigned. The work when it is done is a very poor standard. Don't touch this company with a barge pole. Avoid at all costs ! Don't get burned like me .
    • Hopingforfairtreatment
    • By Hopingforfairtreatment 11th Nov 15, 2:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hopingforfairtreatment
    Thank you for the information you have put in your post. I can only agree with your sentiments and those comments made by others in previous posts. This company is a disgrace and should be stopped from ripping off the public at large. 247 HR obviously play the percentage game, hoping that people don't claim or take up the "FREE" service offered at/in the point of sale telephone discussion!
    However they have it covered when people try to claim for a service or repair, they impose a financial deterrent in front of one in the form of an altered contract (ie they convert the rolling monthly contract into a fixed 12 month contract)How can this possibly be legal!?
    IMHO 247 contravene the sale of goods and services act in that they offer various insentives at the point of sale but do not inform a prospective purchaser of the strings attached until well after they have taken bank details and money from there unsuspecting victims. Then its too late because they have some of your money and you then realise that you have ABSOLUTELY no cover on your goods on the one month rolling contract (OMRC). For the instant you use it 247 hr apply the ball-and-chain twelve-month-fixed-contract (TMFC) that you had no idea of when their sales rep was verbally seducingb you into a false sense of security by saying...."you can terminate the CONtract at any time"!
    I and probably thousands of others have fallen in to 247s carefully laid trap, but I think it has flaws legally and I aim to highlight them!
    Any comments would be welcome.
    The word "free" is used too glibly in their sales patter. Perhaps all of their reps are given certain directives upon what to say at the point of sale.
    • Mike McGowan
    • By Mike McGowan 16th Nov 15, 6:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mike McGowan
    Michael McGowan
    We are leaving 24/7 after two years. Looking back I'm amazed we stayed so long. It was sold as "offering you everything British Gas offers but much cheaper." British Gas covered all kinds of breakdowns and the 24/7 saleswoman said 24/7 did also but the first time we claimed we were told only the boiler was covered - fortunately it was the boiler which went wrong and 24/7 agreed to cover everything else if we increased our premium making it only slightly cheaper than British Gas.
    The latest (our boiler is covered for repairs up to £1,000) is that the current breakdown is set to cost £680 so 24/7 explains that that means it cannot repair it economically so all it can offer is a write off of £200 "because the boiler is over 10 years old." I was put through to someone who "might be able to help you." He said the write off would be £600 if we used its engineers to provide the replacement boiler. He recommended a boiler which he said is Which?'s best buy. I logged on to Which? and found it was not so told him which was the best. He said he'd happily arrange that for a mere £3,000 (less the £600). British Gas came in at £200 less than £3,000 and the local Worcester Bosch appointed engineer £400 less and they were both offering a whole lot more than 24/7. So I rang today to say I'd accept the £200. I was told the write off was £0 unless I accepted their engineer because my boiler is more than 7 years old..
    Towards the end of year One the boiler had broken down and I was told an engineer would only come out if I paid an excess of £70 - having no choice I did and it was repaired but this year's fault looks very similar. I asked today if there was anyone one could appeal to about the write off and was told it is not an insurance policy so there's no one to complain to or to arbitrate - unlike British Gas for example.
    Also every call takes ages to be answered and, having been answered, one is usually given another number to ring with another long wait
    You should not touch this company with a bargepole..
    • Sam Smith
    • By Sam Smith 4th May 16, 5:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sam Smith
    The boiler breakdown company that doesnt fix broken boilers.
    Horrific company. Please for the love of God hope you never need to call them out. Customer service is rude/aggressive we had an intermittent fault that has now resulted in permanent failure.

Apparently this is not covered even though I now have no hot water or heating and a 1 year old I have to take to neighbors for a bath. The only resolution they would offer is to pay them £95 security deposit as they doubt that the boiler is faulty.

I would beg you not to go with 247, I have never known such a disregard and contempt from a company. They constantly want to refer to recordings from previous calls and cut short the existing conversation and say they will call you back which they never do.

Additionally after speaking to customer care I can clarify that intermittent problems are not covered and is hidden in their terms and conditions. For example my boiler works for one and then for the following few days does not work and displays flame failure, apparently this doesn't come under boiler breakdown. So in summary I pay a direct debit each month for a boiler breakdown policy and have a broken boiler which they will not fix. Do not think of this as home emergency cover but home emergency INSURANCE. They simply view your claim as profit reduction for them and try and wriggle out-of everything. Look elsewhere if only I had stuck with British Gas.

Next stop watchdog and trading standards.
    • Stansmam
    • By Stansmam 26th May 16, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stansmam
    Horrific company. Please for the love of God hope you never need to call them out. Customer service is rude/aggressive we had an intermittent fault that has now resulted in permanent failure.

Apparently this is not covered even though I now have no hot water or heating and a 1 year old I have to take to neighbors for a bath. The only resolution they would offer is to pay them £95 security deposit as they doubt that the boiler is faulty.

I would beg you not to go with 247, I have never known such a disregard and contempt from a company. They constantly want to refer to recordings from previous calls and cut short the existing conversation and say they will call you back which they never do.

Additionally after speaking to customer care I can clarify that intermittent problems are not covered and is hidden in their terms and conditions. For example my boiler works for one and then for the following few days does not work and displays flame failure, apparently this doesn't come under boiler breakdown. So in summary I pay a direct debit each month for a boiler breakdown policy and have a broken boiler which they will not fix. Do not think of this as home emergency cover but home emergency INSURANCE. They simply view your claim as profit reduction for them and try and wriggle out-of everything. Look elsewhere if only I had stuck with British Gas.

Next stop watchdog and trading standards.
    Originally posted by Sam Smith

Hi,

I know it's soon, but have you got anywhere with trading standards?
    I had such a horrendous experience with 24/7 (who work 10-4!) back in September, I tried and tried and tried to get somewhere but was so stressed with it I haven't been able to bring myself to restart my complaint but I've just come off the phone to citizens advice who are referring me to trading standards.
    They are without a doubt THE worst company I have ever dealt with and I'm a good £1500 out of pocket thanks to them.
    Horrendous!
    • nboutros
    • By nboutros 19th Jul 16, 1:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nboutros
    I joined them 3 months ago with cover for everything including appliances. I stayed with BG for the first 2 weeks just in case of a breakdown. Unfortunately one month after joining the oven seemed not working when I called they informed me that the apliances cover start ONE month after the cover starts. Fortunately the oven infact worked perfectly after that. Funnily sae happened with the fridge freezer 2 weeks ago and the guy in the claims department was intrugating me in such a way as to try to catch something to avoid dealing with the problem which is what made me decide to leave them, now I had to give a notice in writing to cancel policy after a month.

I will go back to BG of course despite being more expensive
    • robato_kun
    • By robato_kun 3rd Aug 16, 8:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robato_kun
    Bait and switch - AVOID
    i know this is an old thread but since other's have posted warning about this company, I wanted to add the following which you can find the detailed version on TrustPilot (reviews/57a0d1cd0000ff0009772ceb).

Summary version:
    I purchased a policy in Oct 2015 with key terms being agreed as zero excess and "fixed price for 2 years". My monthly premium had been £18.80 but as of 1st August, they increased it to £21.80 to my surprise. What is the point of saying the price is fixed, when it is not?! Completely absurd!

Apparently, they did send me a letter which I didn't receive. They emailed me a copy when I queried it and to my surprise:
    a) The letter was dated 8th June, which is not "at least two months" notice they say they will give in their Terms & Conditions

b) The date of the letter was the same date I had had my boiler serviced. This meant I could not longer cancel the policy if I wanted to (as I had used their services) and they have sneakily locked me in (unless pure coincidence?)

I did complain on the phone and they agreed to change my premium back to £18.80. But talk about BAIT AND SWITCH. There is no chance I can trust a company with such unethical trading practices and I intend to cancel as soon as I can. I would strongly advise everyone to avoid them. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
    • ebenghiat
    • By ebenghiat 4th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ebenghiat
    SCAM ALERT - 24/7 Home Rescue
    After paying membership since July 2015,I got a call from my tenants saying the boiler was not providing hot water. Upon calling 24/7 Home rescue the first part of the scam is to go through some initial "diagnostics" to identify the issue. After asking some ridiculous question to try and catch you out they brilliantly deduced that the tenants had used up all the hot water in the tank and that's why they didn't have hot water.

Upon informing them that my tenants are not complete imbeciles, the questioning continued and the next eureka moment was when they discovered that we had an immersion heater and therefore hot water and because of that it is no longer an emergency and cover does not apply referring me to their terms and conditions. I asked where does it say that in your T&C. The response was "I can't say exactly where but it's there" all in a very aggressive and accusational tone of voice. Most of their clauses in their T&C begins with "At our absolute sole discretion ..." in other words at their sole discretion they will not fix anything, absolutely brilliant !

My contract specifically states "Boiler Cover and Central Heating Breakdown" , so what exactly am i covered for , in short , absolutely nothing. They take your money and absolve themselves of any responsibility. They also increased my direct debit before a year was up without advising me which is in breach of the direct debit rules and illegal. I will be sourcing my own plumber and sending them the bill and reporting their practices and unfair T&C's to trading standards. This company should not be allowed to rip off their customers. I advise anyone to steer clear of this cowboy outfit, they will not deal with your problems and their contracts are not worth the paper they're written on.
    • stuco36
    • By stuco36 10th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stuco36
    Bad company
    So, our boiler stopped working and I wasn't too worried as we had a company called 247 Home Rescue on our side!!! I left endless answerphone messages.....was on hold for ages.....until it said at the very end, no one is here to take your call. If you know no one is there......why not put that at the start of a message. I have actually had £7.48 added to phone bill just because I was trying to contact this company....with no success (that waws just one phone call)! Plus.....they were not there when I needed them. It took two more days till I was actually able to get through to anyone. What a joke!!!! Like someone else said, they just outsource to other companies to get the job done. So this company is probably one person, not sitting at their desk as no one answers the phones....and just passes it on to someone else to deal with at a very cheap price. I ended up just going elsewhere and the issue was fixed in a couple of hours. I'm out!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 10th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 26,061 Posts
    • 12,530 Thanks
    Cardew
    Report them to Trading Standards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,325Posts Today

6,975Users online

Martin's Twitter