Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Turnipfarmer
    Cavity Wall Insualtion - Good idea or not?
    • 15th Dec 14, 5:26 PM
    Cavity Wall Insualtion - Good idea or not? 15th Dec 14 at 5:26 PM
    Just had a British Gas Surveyor come round this morning to check to see if our house is suitable for their free loft insulation scheme which I am, no problems there and happy to go with.

Now, he asked about cavity wall insulation which I never even thought about. I have read so many sorry stories about damp on inside of the house after the house has been done.

I want to see what peoples thoughts are on this and your experiences. Are British Gas any good at doing the cavity wall insulation or has anyone had load of issues since they done it? Also does it make a massive difference to temperature of the house?

My house is 4 bedroom detached built in the 1970s with approx 50mm cavity. Surveyor said it was clear on inspection and my house has no extensions and the damp course is 2 bricks above the ground.

If anyone could give me feedback or advise on this that would be great.
Page 2
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 12th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    No completely true. Cavity walls were around long before the general consensus of 1920. They were not common place and not necessarily very large either, it varied from builder to builder.

My 1895 house has a small cavity (maybe 50mm) that is filled with rubble/crap. It serves a purpose of allowing moisture to flow down to the slate layer to drain as far as I can tell. My walls are far wider than most though (over 600mm if I remember correctly)
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 12th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    Grenage
    Yes, but the cavities, where they existed, prior to more general adoption in the 20s/30s, were pretty narrow ones and probably not the best to infill.

People were also still building estates of houses without cavity walls in the 1950s, but they weren't typical of general practice either.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Still a cavity, though! I know ours is about 50mm, as I recently went through both skins putting in a doorbell.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 12th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    Still a cavity, though! I know ours is about 50mm, as I recently went through both skins putting in a doorbell.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    Similarly when I was rewiring my Virgin cable it refused to come out through the wall but you could still feed it in. I quickly realised I have a cavity, although it is far from clear, and I did some research into it due everyone saying that they don't exist in houses of my age!
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 13th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    Similarly when I was rewiring my Virgin cable it refused to come out through the wall but you could still feed it in. I quickly realised I have a cavity, although it is far from clear, and I did some research into it due everyone saying that they don't exist in houses of my age!
    Originally posted by phil24_7
    "!Cavity walls" were used primarily because it’s cheaper and quicker to build single skin walls so you can see “cavity walls” in construction for properties of all ages they became more the norm in Uk, Europe in the early 1900,s when profit and time where driving factors of development.
    Years role on and although many would say there not suited for high moisture, marine climates Uk, Ireland etc but might perform very well in a more arid area bit of developers spin to hide the fact there cheaper quicker they become the “cavity walls” of today....
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 13-10-2016 at 2:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,658Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin