Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    • 6,337Posts
    • 10,324Thanks
    scubaangel
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies
    • 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies 14th Dec 14 at 4:06 PM
    After my somewhat unpredictable last year I have moved back to the South and am starting my debt free journey from a new start point.

Last year I was unemployed for almost 8 months which unhelpfully coincided with the things I had organised before my unemployment and I didnt want to cancel (the wedding of one of my best friends, my annual trip to Twickenham for a rugby match among them) so my debt managed to increase but not massively.

Unfortunately once employed I left my permanent job after 4 months as I hated it to move back to the Surrey area, which then coincided with a series of somewhat inconvienient events which have conspired to cost me more money than I was happy about - making my very happy I hadn't used the salary I was saving to pay off debt like I should have been doing.

So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Page 48
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 7th Jan 17, 12:46 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    The old one had been pulled apart and defluffed on a regular basis - its a problem I have that anything with moving parts which resemble a fan in any way get clogged with hair.....I swear I moult more than most pet dogs! My laptops always live on either my coffee table or a laptray to insulate my legs as much as them.

It's a blue one.....Its a HP, it'll do what I need.

I do but its on the old lappy, not finished transferring files yet - cant remember my dropbox log in to make life easier although the pics need to be backed up on the external HD along with my S.E files as well.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 17, 1:19 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 39,583 Thanks
    ZTD
    It's a blue one.....Its a HP, it'll do what I need.
    Originally posted by scubaangel

Reminds me of my Mother when I told her I'd bought a new car: "What colour is it? Is it a pretty colour?"

It could have been a Trabant...

I'm on the lookout for a new laptop. This is coming up to 5 years old, and the battery life isn't great.

I do but its on the old lappy, not finished transferring files yet - cant remember my dropbox log in to make life easier although the pics need to be backed up on the external HD along with my S.E files as well.
    Dropbox probably have a "password recovery" thing if you have access to email.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 7th Jan 17, 2:00 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    My old one is as best I can remember close to 6 years old so it was probably time..... the box for the new one tells me its a HP 15-ba080sa. I say its a 15inch screen, 1TB harddrive, win 10 (still not sure if I like it), with an optical drive since so many don't come with them any more that was a challege in itself! I don't really look at battery life as I almost never unplug the thing, if am travelling I'm more likely to be reading the kindle or playing games on the fire than anything I need the lappy for.

Am sure dropbox does, but as its saved on the old one it'd make more sense to reset it after I transfer the files I need in to it from there.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 17, 2:26 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 39,583 Thanks
    ZTD
    I say its a 15inch screen, 1TB harddrive, win 10 (still not sure if I like it),
    Take a look at http://www.classicshell.net/ - it was a God-send when Win 8 was on the go...

with an optical drive since so many don't come with them any more that was a challege in itself!
    Yes, I had that problem when finding a laptop for my mother. I just use a USB cdrom myself.

Am sure dropbox does, but as its saved on the old one it'd make more sense to reset it after I transfer the files I need in to it from there.
    It's probably a little late now, but look at something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cables/EkoBuy-Drive-Adapter-Backward-Compatible/B01EQ7PNZY it lets you hoover stuff off an old HD as fast as the HD will go.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 11th Jan 17, 1:08 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Right despite having a couple of days off I've managed to be busier than a normal day!

Yesterday I applied for a job online - local rail operator, station based position which from reading around the web seems to be considered both a good job and a decent employer for the industry. Also had a phone call today from a recruitment agency, my logging in to the job site yesterday to download my cv must have triggered something to show it's active again, the job would be a hospitality/catering role about 15 miles from home on a salary almost £3k better than my current, need to write my rota for next week then set up a skype interview with them.

In the meantime I have washing in the machine because the new white blouses we bought for work despite being the same size as the last ones we got are considerably smaller which means I don't have the 3 spare clean ones I thought I did (I reckon I can get away with wearing them at job 1 as the apron will cover the gaping buttons but def not at the hotel where I only have a tie to cover myself with).

Also have three s.e visits to conduct so just reprinting the paper work as the colour ink died half way through yesterday evening.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 13th Jan 17, 7:31 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Spent an hour or so this evening sorting through various boxes and drawers trying to have a clear out, the result is a meagre 1 carrier bag of rubbish. Although things are a little tidier and while sorting the drawer with my travel stuff I found an unexpected 50 euro note which is now safely tucked in to my euro purse - meaning while I thought I was down to about 30 euro cash I actually have 130 euro as I already had my emergency stash in the forgettable compartment in my purse (I thought I'd spent it on my last trip) so I might get away with not changing much cash before the trip in Feburary.

I've read three or four of my goodreads wins in the last week so took a couple of the prepublication proof copies to work and will hopefully get them rehomed over the weekend, if not I'll bring them home and put them in the bag of stuff I'm going to drop off at the local Hospice shop next week.

In the meantime I'm waiting for my phone to finish running through its set of swagbucks mobile videos for the points then will see if I can ziffit any of the ones with barcodes currently sat on my living room floor.

Going to have to make dinner shortly as my tummy is making ridiculous gurgling noises, think it'll be a cheese and mushroom omelette tonight to use up the eggs and some of the mushrooms before they start to turn.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Jan 17, 11:24 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 39,583 Thanks
    ZTD
    Yesterday I applied for a job online

- local rail operator, station based position which from reading around the web seems to be considered both a good job and a decent employer for the industry. Also had a phone call today from a recruitment agency, my logging in to the job site yesterday to download my cv must have triggered something to show it's active again, the job would be a hospitality/catering role about 15 miles from home on a salary almost £3k better than my current, need to write my rota for next week then set up a skype interview with them.

In the meantime I have washing in the machine because the new white blouses we bought for work despite being the same size as the last ones we got are considerably smaller
    Are these women's sizes? New "inch"! Same size always and everywhere...

which means I don't have the 3 spare clean ones I thought I did (I reckon I can get away with wearing them at job 1 as the apron will cover the gaping buttons but def not at the hotel where I only have a tie to cover myself with).
    And you never thought you'd miss the kipper tie...

Spent an hour or so this evening sorting through various boxes and drawers trying to have a clear out, the result is a meagre 1 carrier bag of rubbish.
    That may mean you're already pretty clear.

Although things are a little tidier and while sorting the drawer with my travel stuff I found an unexpected 50 euro note which is now safely tucked in to my euro purse - meaning while I thought I was down to about 30 euro cash I actually have 130 euro as I already had my emergency stash in the forgettable compartment in my purse
    And some money in there too.

Going to have to make dinner shortly as my tummy is making ridiculous gurgling noises, think it'll be a cheese and mushroom omelette tonight to use up the eggs and some of the mushrooms before they start to turn.
    Always made me wonder if bad mushrooms grow mushrooms...

Good to hear you sounding a bit more chipper than of late. Work/lifeload calming down?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 18th Jan 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Well after my busy days off things got even more interesting. Skype interview on Monday turned in to a phone interview. Then a meeting with the employer's MD (he refuses to call such things interviews), and I'm off to visit the cafe in the next couple of days to essentially mystery shop it, reporting back to the agency to then set up a second meeting with the employer early next week.

In the meantime I've not heard back from the rail operator yet but that job didnt close until today.

Also in the midst of my annual bubble watching obsession as the Spine Race is in full swing. As always mostly I find myself watching the bubbles, reading the contours and assorted other OS map features and saying utter utter nut jobs* to myself.

Just thinking about chucking some washing in the machine as this is about the first time I've been home since Friday.

More decluttering is meant to be occuring as I've done the easy bits it's mostly on to the stuff that will take longer now, partly because I want to photograph and list on facebook/gumtree etc any of the stuff I'm not instantly certain I want to keep. But at the moment I'm sat on the sofa with my Dory blanket over my lap, and my Ikea shark as a head rest and its somewhat too comfy sat here to want to be moving.

*other less forum friendly words may also feature.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 19th Jan 17, 5:59 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Visited the cafe. Really liked what I saw and can see alot of potential for simple improvements to the way things were being done - and I assume the staff were on best behaviour while I was there as the founder was in the place doing some work on the retail product range.

Currently working out potential costs for the commute. At the moment I've got as far as a rail season ticket would be £2230, and at the current cost of petrol it'll cost roughly £6 to drive, trying to find out if the local council have a car parking annual pass scheme as parking would be at least £5 per day in the nearest car park and £4.50 in the slightly less close but cheaper one near the train station (so a similar walking distance to the train option).

Found the parking pass options £1041 for the nearest one and £809 for the slightly further away one.

Leaving the numbers there for now as my brain is starting to hurt and thats before I factor in additional wear and tear on the car causing higher maintainence costs.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 20th Jan 17, 7:28 PM
    • 23,068 Posts
    • 39,583 Thanks
    ZTD
    Currently working out potential costs for the commute. At the moment I've got as far as a rail season ticket would be £2230, and at the current cost of petrol it'll cost roughly £6 to drive, trying to find out if the local council have a car parking annual pass scheme as parking would be at least £5 per day in the nearest car park and £4.50 in the slightly less close but cheaper one near the train station (so a similar walking distance to the train option).

Found the parking pass options £1041 for the nearest one and £809 for the slightly further away one.

Leaving the numbers there for now as my brain is starting to hurt and thats before I factor in additional wear and tear on the car causing higher maintainence costs.
    Numbers are easy: Assuming you work 240 days a year (46 * 5 day weeks plus a bit of overtime)

That's £1,440 in petrol, or £2,481 total for the close carpark, £2,249 for the further one.

Versus £2,230 in trains.

You could add in wear and tear etc, but it's not really necessary.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 20th Jan 17, 8:04 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    It's not easy when you're knackered and spent all day working over the options, potential and telling that annoying internal voice that keeps reminding me about how out of my depth I felt at the job before this and the new one would be a higher turn over, a bigger staff to manage and generally much much scarier for it.

I would qualify for a parking pass - helpfully priority is given to people working in town centre businesses or living there - which would bring the parking costs + petrol down to almost the same as the train even in the more expensive car park. But chances of petrol staying at the same average price are slim.

Hopefully will be able to set up the second meeting on Monday - agent hasn't been able to get hold of the guy today, he's been in meetings, which will slow things down a bit as I was hoping to meet him Monday morning as I've got full days Tuesday-Thursday and my only day off is Saturday next week (having had 4 days off this week I figure there isn't much room for me to complain when I both do the rota and theres a strong chance that I'll be flinging a resignation letter at them fairly soon one way or another).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 23rd Jan 17, 11:39 AM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Over the weekend I reached the £50 threshold on yougov and the £40 threshold on onepoll so have claimed both payments.

Not managed to get a second meeting booked which is frustrating as I now wont be able to until at least Friday.

Yesterday the bloke ran a local half marathon and did it in a PB time over 30 seconds quicker than his previous best! I did the 5k Fun run at the same event, so we both have our first race bling of the year. Frankly if I'd not done the 5k I'd have stayed home as it was bloody freezing (-4 according to the car when we parked up 40 mins before the start).
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 27th Jan 17, 7:28 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Still not heard about the job. Assuming at this point I won't be hearing from them again which is disappointing.

In the meantime I've had a day off and done what normal people do and popped in to town to do some shopping without it being self employment related, read a bit and done some washing.

Feel like I should have got something more useful done but never mind.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 13th Feb 17, 7:51 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Last week I was on holiday which was rather lovely. Took the bloke out to the apartment for a few days sun.

The week before I had second and third interviews for the job - should hear from them in the next few days as they were seeing other candidates for second interviews last week.

Money wise I think it best we just don't talk about it.....although in fairness the holiday spending was from euros I'd brought home with me from previous trips.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Feb 17, 6:09 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Didn't get the job.

Part of the money not to bbe talked about occurred today - had to do a speed awareness course, interesting afternoon and I do think alot of the information could be used more widely to remind drivers to be a little more cautious about that odd mph over the limit they think doesn't matter. Although if I'm honest I'm not sure how much difference it'll make to my driving generally.

Currently waiting for the sloe cooker to get heated up so I can chuck some yellow label mince in to be turned in to chilli while I'm also cooking chicken fajitas for dinner.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 22nd Feb 17, 6:00 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Applied for a couple more jobs, and the agency from the last one got in touch to ask me if I wanted to be put forward for a similar one. So back to waiting to hear if I have interviews.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 24th Feb 17, 9:28 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Finally checked my second job bank account and found that my December wage was much higher than I expected, then remembered that gratuities would have been added and were likely higher thanks to the ejits willing to spend a fortune not to bother with Christmas at home and drunk people at parties tip better than the typical business guests. Which was nice as that account was in danger of getting overdrawn as I forgot to transfer my debt payment money from the main bank account last month.

Had an email cc'd to me today from my manager at the second job its his reference for me to the second agency - I swear he's talking about a different employee, equally I owe him a massive hug next time I see him.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 5th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    More busy busy busy at both jobs.

Doing an over night at job 1 today so settled in to the front office with my lappy, kindles and a couple of books.

Feel like I've spent a small fortune this week having signed up for a couple of virtual run events - one in Summer to run, swim and bike as far as possible for a mermaid shaped medal and another in November which has part of the entry fee donated to the RBL. Also my first triathlon of the year in May and am trying to transfer a place for the London Tri from my sister but having problems with the website so waiting for the organisers to be back in the office tomorrow to call about that one. Still need to enter my usual local lake swim series and try to work out which of the Great Swims I want to do this year (as always London is almost certain), probably not going to bother with Great North this year but still rather want to do Great Scottish again if I can talk my friend in to giving the half mile distance a try.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Have now booked 3 tri's this year, the one in May, the London and the Women's Only in July.

Ran a 5k on Sunday and got a PB, running a 10k next Sunday - the plan there is to just survive!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 22nd Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 10,324 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Survived the 10k.

Nice route and a really small event.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter