Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    • 6,315Posts
    • 10,314Thanks
    scubaangel
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies
    • 14th Dec 14, 4:06 PM
    Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies 14th Dec 14 at 4:06 PM
    After my somewhat unpredictable last year I have moved back to the South and am starting my debt free journey from a new start point.

Last year I was unemployed for almost 8 months which unhelpfully coincided with the things I had organised before my unemployment and I didnt want to cancel (the wedding of one of my best friends, my annual trip to Twickenham for a rugby match among them) so my debt managed to increase but not massively.

Unfortunately once employed I left my permanent job after 4 months as I hated it to move back to the Surrey area, which then coincided with a series of somewhat inconvienient events which have conspired to cost me more money than I was happy about - making my very happy I hadn't used the salary I was saving to pay off debt like I should have been doing.

So 4 weeks after making the move for my new job (which I still love despite some tough days) I am getting the keys to my new house tomorrow lunchtime and it's time to start working out a new budget.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
Page 47
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Sep 16, 8:48 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    ZTD
    The canadian, she's interviewing at a university on the south coast.
    Originally posted by scubaangel
    Interesting job?

He just thinks I'm nuts for putting a 12 hour shift on the rota (but its the best way to make sure the event in the evening is fully set up per our instructions).
    You'll have to beat gratitude out of him...

Should really be asleep now but had a nap earlier so now not tired which is annoying!
    Hope your day went well.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 16th Sep 16, 11:55 AM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    The early shift was painful as expected, there is no good reason for alarms being set for times pre 6am!

Last night seemed to go well, bloke and herself seemed to get on OK, although she didn't say anything this morning and I didn't ask as she was busy stressing out while reading up before her interview. Possibly could have used it as a useful distraction but figured she needs this to go well so the last minute prep isnt the worst thing in the world for her to be doing.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 16th Sep 16, 7:35 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    ZTD
    The early shift was painful as expected, there is no good reason for alarms being set for times pre 6am!
    Unless it's to remind you to go home.

Last night seemed to go well, bloke and herself seemed to get on OK, although she didn't say anything this morning and I didn't ask as she was busy stressing out while reading up before her interview.
    What's she doing? Particle physics?

Possibly could have used it as a useful distraction but figured she needs this to go well so the last minute prep isnt the worst thing in the world for her to be doing.
    Last minute stuff possibly would have kept her "in the zone". Otherwise it's not all that useful.

Are you working this weekend?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 19th Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    She's doing a PhD in patient care stuff stuff - it all sounds like word soup to me.

I worked Saturday afternoon/evening, then did my "tri" which became a duathlon on Sunday morning due to water quality problems at the venue (one unimpressed swimming was experienced by both CJ and the bloke all morning).

Was a nice enough event though if you ignore that I did two runs. I did meet a couple more of his friends though as one was doing the novice event and had got another of their friends to go along as his cheer squad. I'd met a few of his running club friends as I went along to his 10k race before work on Saturday morning.

I may have promoted him to boyfriend over the weekend.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 19th Sep 16, 11:24 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    ZTD
    She's doing a PhD in patient care stuff stuff - it all sounds like word soup to me.
    Most things at that level are - you got to make it sound fancy. In Latin if possible...

I may have promoted him to boyfriend over the weekend.
    Does he get a gold star?

How's you?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 19th Sep 16, 11:57 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    I'm ok, busy week again, two double shift days, single shift day then I've got a friend staying in the flat while I go to the blokes for the night, and then headed up to Wakefield for the weekend which will include the Brownlee Tri on Saturday.

Just booked flights out to Tenerife in Feb so I at least have a short holiday to look forward to.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 27th Sep 16, 2:07 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Weekend away was fantastic, triathlon was a challenge due to the somewhat poor choice to fuel it with booze and kebabs the night before.

Had the boyfriend stay over Sunday and last night, he ran his half marathon on Sunday - did incredibly well with a new PB and coming in the top 20 runners (which did include the elite field of pro athletes!).

Money wise I probably spent a little more than I planned over the weekend (needed a new sportsbra so had to visit Meadowhall and the only place I knew sold the brand I like is Debenhams and as always they're alot more expensive than the online places I tend to order from), fuel, food and drinks etc

This week I told job 2 I can only work one day so am currently on my sofa while the washing machine does its thing, and my wetsuit and trail shoes are soaking in the bath - both stank when I unpacked them yesterday.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 27th Sep 16, 9:33 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    ZTD
    Weekend away was fantastic, triathlon was a challenge due to the somewhat poor choice to fuel it with booze and kebabs the night before.
    What are you talking about? Kebabs - the food of champions...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 28th Sep 16, 8:08 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    What are you talking about? Kebabs - the food of champions...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Not so much the kebab but the booze was the error
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 4th Oct 16, 1:33 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    A few more days of joyous working.

Day off today so went in to town after the bloke left me sleeping at his to see if I could find a Christening gift, failed to find anything that wasn't basically a dust collector or silver bangle which given my Christening bangles are in the safe at Dad's house I tend to think of as something of a pointless gift. Bloke suggested something like a Pandora bracelet with a couple of appropriate beads to represent her parents then its something I can add to at her birthdays as she grows up which is quite a nice idea but I can't be letting him think he's had one of those!
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 15th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Had to admit the bloke had a good idea.....

Need to order the gift though.

Bloke's away this weekend doing that insane running thing again, have a tracking app I can use to follow his progress tomorrow while I'm working.

Should be making some dinner or packing for the overnight at work but it all feels like a lot of effort.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 27th Oct 16, 12:35 AM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Busy busy busy!

The bloke is still around, alot.

The Canadian is all moved to the south coast.

The Christening was a lovely day, and I've had my mum and Aunt visiting for a few days. Back to work in the morning with a lovely 15 hour day over the two jobs, am looking forward to it for a rest!

Also claimed £20 from a survey company on Friday which was paid today so that's been withdrawn and will be paid off the credit card in a few days.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 27th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    ZTD
    Busy busy busy!

The bloke is still around, alot.
    That'll keep you busy as well.

The Canadian is all moved to the south coast.
    So the interview went well?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 28th Oct 16, 12:19 AM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    As does the two jobs, trying to swim twice a week and having had family visiting!

That was a whole other level of complicated and dealing with half wits, but shes there and getting settled the rest can be resolved later I think is the best way to explain it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 29th Nov 16, 6:01 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Remind me again why I decided I wanted to pay the debt off quickly instead of just letting it diwindle slowly?

Another month of working my normal job, plus on average an extra day per week as over time there and doing two evenings at the second job and maintaining a relationship.

I'm knackered. And not yet seeing the financial benefits of it thanks to a couple of fairly hefty expenses this month - inc two new tyres as I achieved a double puncture, and starting Christmas shopping. But in to the New Year it will start to feel worth it am sure.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 30th Nov 16, 5:50 PM
    • 22,979 Posts
    • 39,093 Thanks
    ZTD
    Remind me again why I decided I wanted to pay the debt off quickly instead of just letting it diwindle slowly?
    Because having no debts gives you options, and allows you to do things you want/need to do at a time of your choosing?

Another month of working my normal job, plus on average an extra day per week as over time there and doing two evenings at the second job and maintaining a relationship.

I'm knackered.

And not yet seeing the financial benefits of it thanks to a couple of fairly hefty expenses this month - inc two new tyres as I achieved a double puncture,
    Run over Santa *and* Rudolph?

and starting Christmas shopping. But in to the New Year it will start to feel worth it am sure.
    You'll be able to slacken off when it's clear.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 4th Dec 16, 5:00 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    So yesterday morning the Canadian and I ran the Grim Challenge.

8 miles of off road military vehicle testing tracks. It was as you would anticipate hilly and a touch damp in places. Thankfully as it wasn't a freezing morning it wasn't as cold as it could have been and the speedy runners had proken the ice on the worst of the puddles - which was nice, until you were chest deep in said puddle fending off icebergs while hoping your fingers hadn't dropped off in the mud.

After that fun morning I then had the blokes work Christmas meal to survive - held at a local posh hotel, dress code Black Tie and Cocktail dresses. So from mud monster to posh female in one short day. Himself had the first day of his marathon training plan to run today so is currently doing his best impression of a dead body on my sofa - thankfully he's snoring occasionally so I know it's just an impression!

Money wise nothing to report other than the raiding of cash back apps for freebies while grocery shopping earlier - free Mince Pies from Quidco.

Debating the opening of my large savings tin as I know there are a few old £5 notes in it and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get them and the rest of the cash in it in to the bank and put to the debt reduction plans before I start the next tin.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

611Posts Today

3,658Users online

Martin's Twitter