Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 159
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 16th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Hope your scan goes well tomorrow twenty something girl. I'm in my second lot of maternity bras, more like sports bras as the first lot started to rub under the boobs. These are proper over the shoulder boulder holders!😂
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 17th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Over the shoulder boulder holders!

Scan went well, all body parts present and correct including little boy bits! He was still uncooperative and I had to go for a walk halfway because he wouldn't lay right but eventually got all the measurements that were needed. No mention of due date so I'm assuming it hasn't changed.

One thing I did wonder was about the MatB1 form. I'm not due to see my midwife again til the 30th August but by the calculator on the gov website I need to have given it to work by the 26th. Anyone whose done this before know when you get the form?
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 17th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Congrats TwentySomethingGirl - eeek a little boy! How exciting!
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 17th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    saver-j
    I'm back already...Congrats on the boy twentysomethinggirl!

Just on your matb1 query I only got mine at my 25 week appointment when I was actually over 25 weeks so past the date you have to notify.

I told hr in writing of the date I wanted my mat leave and pay to start after the scan and confirmed I'd forward the form as soon as possible. They didn't have any issues with that as the notification in writing was enough so hopefully your employer will be the same. The form does say it can't be given out before 20 weeks and as I only saw the sonographer at the scan not my midwife I couldn't have had it any earlier.
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 18th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Congrats on your scan twentysomethinggirl and seeing your little boy!

I had my scan today and although we said we wanted a surprise, and she turned the screen away when she was looking at the legs, I wondered if I saw some boy bits briefly later on - OH wondered the same - but maybe a foot or the cord? Who knows, she pointed out all this "and there are the kidneys", I was thinking it's all one big blur - head and legs I can make out, that's about it!

I was really expecting a second girl, now that brief glimpse of something is making me wonder if this is a boy. Only another twenty weeks til we find out Actually, it seems like a growth scan later on is a possibility.

My maternity notes say second+ time mums don't get another appointment til 28 weeks - too late for the matB1 form, how odd. I'm going to ring and ask if I can have it at my extra appointment next week (21 weeks). I'm seeing the consultant, so the midwife said she'd see me then too.
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 19th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Congrats on your scan! I couldn't have told you if we saw any bits before she pointed it out but then he was sat at an awkward angle again...we were convinced it was a girl.

I wasn't so great at recognising body parts either and I thought the spine looked like a centipede which my husband scowled at me for when I told him..

It somehow seems more real now that I know he's a boy and it feels very odd to refer to my son...
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 26th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    It's quiet around here lately...I hope everyone is doing OK? I've been told I'm starting to get a bump, it's definitely there when I'm laying down but it seems it's starting to show when I'm stood up too.

I hope scans go well for anyone with one coming up
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • sk00bie1
    • By sk00bie1 26th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    sk00bie1
    Hi everyone!

I haven't been on this forum for a while as I moved abroad but I'm now expecting my first and looking for others to share experiences with. I live in Denmark and finding advice etc in English is hard so I hope you don't mind me popping in.

I'm 35 (36 next week!) and 18 (+2) weeks along. So far here the care has been great from the Doc and midwife, although they are pretty hands off as long as everything is going along fine.

I've got my first proper midwife appointment tomorrow and my second scan on 10th August. I have to say I'm equally excited and nervous for that, I just want to know everything is ok.

Oh and my due date is currently 25th December! Christmas baby Couldn't have timed that better if we tried hehe

Looking forward to chatting and getting to know you all a little
    Gem
    Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger No. 26
    XStitch to do list:
    -- Birth Sampler -- Christmas Angel -- Mum's Xmas Stitch -- Christmas decs 3 & 4 -- Xmas Bird --
    -- Snowflake Sonata -- Be Jolly -- JE Unicorn -- Start HAED!!! --
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 29th Jul 17, 5:51 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Hi ladies, I had my scan on Monday and all is growing well - I'm having a little boy too!

He spent most of the appt either holding his right foot with his left hand, or scratching his chin with his foot! I could work those body parts out, but like the rest of you I had no idea what I was looking at when she was showing us kidneys etc. The sonographer was pretty blummin miserable though! She didn't ask whether we wanted to know the sex - I asked her at the end of the appt whether she could see what it was!

Definitely felt reassured to see him kicking and not feel it, as I'd been worried that I was only feeling things a couple of times a day, but he's definitely active and I've felt more and more as the week has gone on.

My bump feels huge already and it's my first! Got two weddings next weekend and just hope my boobs don't grow any more in the next week or I won't fit into my outfit!

Going to spend this weekend doing a major clear out of junk so we can start to think about getting a nursery ready, and I made my first thing for him - a crochet elephant. I've started on a blanket now too and have about a million more things I want to make before he gets here!

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, whatever you're up to xxxxx
    Last edited by Roz_V; 29-07-2017 at 5:55 AM.
    • sk00bie1
    • By sk00bie1 31st Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    sk00bie1
    Glad your scan went well Roz! And I feel you on the bump thing, mine has suddenly popped out. Key lots of frantic internet shopping so I'll actually have wearable clothes

My midwife appointment went great, she was really friendly and happy to speak English, which I prefer with medical stuff when I'm alone as I'll worry I'll miss something.

She gave me lots of info about breastfeeding and a schedule of all my appointments until the birth And she asked if I'd thought about the birth at all, I had to admit I hadn't! Have any of you lovlies started planning that yet?

Right at the end she asked if I wanted to hear the heartbeat and of course I said yes, was so reassuring to hear it 10 days until our 20 week scan, so excited!
    XStitch to do list:
    -- Birth Sampler -- Christmas Angel -- Mum's Xmas Stitch -- Christmas decs 3 & 4 -- Xmas Bird --
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 31st Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    My bump seems to have had a growth spurt the last few days. I walked through the office last Thursday and eyes followed me and then the "oooh, you're starting to show" comments. I definitely can't suck it in anymore!

I'd like a home birth but I have to see a consultant next week about my weight and my midwife said to mention it to them. I might have to dig my heels in a bit but we'll see how it goes...
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 31st Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    Glad all the scans have gone well. I had mine last week and thankfully all was well.
    I've noticed my jeans have been feeling uncomfortable so had to wear leggings yesterday. Think I'll have to find some stretch clothes until maternity ones fit. Who else is in maternity clothes?

I've still not told work yet (apart from my immediate boss as she had to OK time off for IVF), I've been waiting for the 20 week scan. Now thats all OK I'll tell them this week and give them my MATB1 form. I think I have to put a date on when I'll start maternity leave - still don't know. What are you ladies going to do?

Re the birth, part of me would like a home birth but hubby is adamant he doesn't so I'll respect that. I was also thinking of a midwife led birth unit but not sure they'll have me as I'm under a consultant....will have to check
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 31st Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Hello everyone! Welcome and congrats sk00bie1

Countrybum, I've been in maternity clothes since 12 weeks

I'm planning to put 37 weeks as my mat leave start, then if I fancy going one or two weeks sooner, I'll put that as annual leave. My levae year starts in the summer, so it's much of a muchness whether the holiday comes before or after. (Except this time and last time my accrued holiday will be December, when it's quite nice to get paid again before you start back at work, as the last 3 months of mat leave are unpaid.)

I think you have to be midwife led to plan to give birth in the midwife led unit. Honestly I found it much better in the delivery suite than the MLU last time. There may have been mood lighting and a pool, but I was just left on my own for hours in pain, whereas in the delivery suite I had a midwife with me all the time and lovely drugs!

That's lovely you've started making things Roz_V. I have a long list of projects round the house to do before little one arrives, including decorating their room.

I've had my consultant visit too, she's going to advise me at our next appointment whether to go for a planned C section or roll the dice and see what happens! It would be lovely to know exactly what is going to happen with the birth, and psych myself up for it. It doesn't quite work that way though does it, bit of a case of expect the unexpected.

Hope everyone is enjoying the nice middle bit of pregnancy, and those wriggly babies in tums are all doing well.
    • sk00bie1
    • By sk00bie1 1st Aug 17, 1:11 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    sk00bie1
    I think mine's having a growth spurt too TwentySomethingGirl, walking past shop windows yesterday, I noticed my belly is nearly up to my boobs

None of my jeans have fitted for a month or so though, just too uncomfy when sitting down for long periods. I have a couple of pairs of 3/4 length ones that still fit, and had to put in an order to ASDA online for some maternity pants that I got mum to forward to me. They're soooo comfy after too tight jeans

I've told work too, had to as I was so ill in the first trimester but they are my bfs family so it wasn't really 'telling work'.

Here you start leave four weeks before your due date if you're being paid by the state. It's called 'pregnancy leave' and seperate to maternity leave which starts when baby is born! I'm hoping to take the week before those four weeks off too, either holiday or TOIL, as my mum and sister are coming to visit

Yay Roz_V another crocheter! I'm supposed to clearing out and packing so we can move, currently in a slightly bigger than studio apartment which is far too small for two adults, let alone two adults and a baby! But ugh I hate packing, anyone else? It's just too easy to get distracted by crochet, or anything really
    XStitch to do list:
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 7th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    I'm a knitter but have yet to even think about making anything for our bubba. Still trying to get a blanket and toy finished for my nephew who was born last week. They'll be Christmas presents at this rate!

I had my appointment with the consultant today. She's just moved to this Trust and said that my BMI is only just over the limit and had she been in her previous trust seeing me, she wouldn't have. She's also happy for me to go for home birth and has put the referral in for the community midwife team so all in all it's looking hopeful.

I've also started making a list of things we're going to need to get so we can start looking out for bargains and sales. We're going to get/borrow quite a bit second hand from friends/family so hopefully it won't cost us a fortune to get everything.

I've been feeling movements for a couple of weeks now, still nothing regular but he's definitely there!

I hope everyone else is doing well
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • sk00bie1
    • By sk00bie1 11th Aug 17, 9:07 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    sk00bie1
    Had my scan yesterday, only just got there in time after I took the wrong exit at a roundabout and went on a slight detour. I blame the baby brain as I didn't realise until I'd been driving along the wrong road for about 10 minutes! Well that and maybe a bit of nerves

But I'm very pleased to announce we are expecting a boy, and everything is fine with him

I'm definitely feeling him (so nice to be able to say that!) more, and even during the scan as he was leaping about in there hehe

A list is a great idea TwentySomethingGirl! I haven't thought about it really at all, too much else going on. We will have to wait to buy the big things until we have moved, but it would be great to at least be aware of what we need.

Our flat is slowly getting presentable enough to be put on the market, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I just get so tired so quickly after I've been at work so can't do much at time, anybody else finding the same?
    Save
    XStitch to do list:
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 11th Aug 17, 3:02 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Congrats on your scan sk00bie1, lots of baby boys On the way! Are you think By id moving before baby arrives?

Have you found any bargains yet twenty something? I've borrowed a bedside crib, will have to see if t fits this weekend, and if so get a new mattress. You know that research that linked having a used mattress with cot death? I can't help thinking there's no reason for a mattress itself to cause anything, unless it's gone mouldy or something. I mean if you'd used your new mattress for your baby for two weeks, it isn't new any more, but you're still letting your two week old sleep on it. But use one for four months then store it in a cupboard for a year and you shouldn't use it for a newborn? I'll still get a new mattress, you wouldn't want to increase a risk unnecessarily, but I have to say I don't understand it. Would you not buy a second hand sleepyhead either?

Im getting quotes for lots of jobs round the house before baby arrives. I'm going to be home a lot with a winter baby, so don't want to be staring at undone jobs with no time to do them!

Also I'm really low on iron and can only stand up for five mins at a time! From Bally got the right prescription, do hoping I'll start to feel better. Hope everyone is doing well x
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 14th Aug 17, 9:37 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Hi all, sorry been MIA for a few weeks - busy, busy, busy here with work and with decluttering - OH started to work from home about 8 months ago and we hadn't found "places" for everything that was moved from his office and now I'm another spare room down for baby so loft has been sorted and I'm being very ruthless - just need to get rid of a huge old wardrobe then the baby's room will be empty ready for me to fill back up again IKEA opens in Sheffield on 28th Sept so I want the room to be decorated by then

We bought our travel system last week - we went with the Uppababy Vista 2015 after trying a few out. I've been offered play gyms, bouncers and even a cot for free from people I know and trust so was happy to splash out a bit on this as it's the one thing we will get brand new. It's gone to MILs until baby arrives as I didn't want it in the house (I know, old wives tale etc... )

I'm feeling absolutely fine at the moment - no symptoms or anything - just lots of movement about 4/5 times a day (usually around meal times - he's his momma's boy ) OH and I really struggling for names we both like though - we have a spreadsheet of 1000 we downloaded and don't agree on a single one

Midwife appt on Thurs and Whooping Cough vaccine at same time - really glad I booked it after hearing The Jeremy Vine Show today.

Gosh lots of boys!!!! My friend is expecting a little girl 2 weeks after me, and another friend is 14wks so there will be a couple of us off together which will be nice.

Hope all are doing well, sending a hug to anyone who might need it xxx
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 15th Aug 17, 8:39 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    wow, lots of boys - congratulations ladies.

Well, I've finally told work and handed all my maternity forms in. I'm going to start mat leave on 4th Dec, due 11th (although last baby was 10 days early!) and I've finally bitten the bullet and got my maternity jeans out (other clothes are ok for now).

We're not buying anything extra as we already have a 4year old, but just going to get a bedside crib this time.

Roz_v you must be relatively close by -looking forward to the new Ikea opening too
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 22nd Aug 17, 11:03 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Ooh good choice with the UppaBaby Vista Roz-V it's a lovely pram, I would have like that one!

I've been looking at double buggies, but I think I'm going to give them a miss. I'd like the two of them to sit side by side, parent facing, with a decent cosy lie flat seat for baby, not a thin stroller style seat. Anyway that doesn't exist (although I skimmed over the ones that cost £1k), so I think I'll just have a sling and a buggy board and see how that works.

I've talked myself out of quite a lot of new baby equipment! I might move my toddler's nursing chair to baby's room and just get a cosy chair of some kind for stories, cuddles, getting dressed in her room. Baby will be rooming in with us for a good while anyway, I'll have to get used to creeping into bed again!

We've borrowed a bedside crib too countrybum - just need to check we can still move around the bed with it in place.

I guess it's time to move up to the group where they pop babies out - see you on the other side!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,163Posts Today

6,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin