Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 158
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 26th Jun 17, 2:03 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    I'm planning to go on mat leave a week before my EDD, my boss is letting me carry over holiday so i can use it at the end of mat leave and have less time unpaid.
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 26th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Roz-V hope you’re having a fab holiday! Yes, the 3 of us are are so close in EDD aren’t we? I really want to plan a mat leave date, but it all depends on so many things! Last time my midwife was encouraging me to go at 34 weeks, so I changed my 37 week start to 36 weeks. This time my (different) midwife said if they did schedule me for a C-section (due to carrying a giant baby again) it would be at 39 weeks. I know there’s some projects/admin/nesting I’d want to do at home on mat leave before baby arrives, not to mention lazing about! I am due to a big work event at around 36 weeks – not sure if I’ll be there for that.

That’s exciting you heard the heartbeat twentysomethinggirl – my midwife said she wouldn’t do it at 16 weeks. I first get to see the consultant (and midwife again) at 21 weeks. My 20 week scan is the day after yours!

Saver-j I am planning to make one of those mothercare evenings – worth it for the vouchers and freebie goody bag, but also the talks about first aid, breastfeeding, etc etc. We can’t both go this time round though, as littlun will be in bed. I guess I’ll go – not sure if they let lone men in! In all seriousness, dads really do get sidelined in a lot of things. Daft comedy books about how to treat a baby like a car, some places only have baby change in the ladies, patronising comments… it’s tough for dads.

I didn’t do NCT last time because I was too slow to book it and it was full. I did do the free antenatal classes and set up a social media group for the others to join. Seemed awkward as we’d barely spoken to each other, but we see each other all the time, a nice support network and good friends. I’d definitely recommend some kind of antenatal classes, and thrusting contact details on people, even though it’s a bit awkward with strangers!

Is anyone planning to do shared maternity/paternity leave? I’d like OH around for the first 6 weeks (he gets 3 weeks’ paternity leave), so I’m thinking of either giving 3 weeks of my mat leave to him as pat leave, or just getting him to take 3 weeks unpaid. I kind of want to string my 52 weeks mat leave to cover two Christmases though!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 27th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    My husband is going to take the 2 weeks pat leave and then 2 weeks annual leave as he takes Christmas off anyway so depending on when the little one makes an appearance he'll be off most of December with me. He earns more so it doesn't make sense for us to use the shared parental leave. I think for your husband to use the SPL you'd have to go back to work for the 3 weeks he's using it as only one parent can use the statutory leave at a time but I'm not 100% on that
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 1st Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Timeflies
    It did used to be like that twentysomethinggirl, but since April 2015, you can split the mat leave, and run concurrently if you want to. So OH would have the "last" 3 weeks of my mat leave, but have it 3 weeks after baby s born, when his pat leave ends. So because it's the last 3 weeks its unpaid, as it would be if i took it at the end.

A bloke at my work has just had 6 months off like this - his wife has 3 months, then he had 6 months, then they both went back to work.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 2nd Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    That's good. I think it's a fab idea that the SPL was brought in. I don't think dad's are given enough when it comes to having kids and the way they get treated.

I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and have been having cramps for the lat week. My tracking app said round ligament pain is quite common at this point so I'm not concerned but it's annoying/painful when it happens.

2 weeks to scan day!
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 3rd Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    We won't be splitting maternity/paternity leave as hubby is self employed so presumably can't take anything. I don't know when to start mine; I'm due on 13th December and last baby came 10 days early. I've also got 25 days leave to take between no and the end on January (so really have to take it before maternity leave as I can't carry it over).

I've been getting tummy pains too - went to see midwife and she said it was round ligament pain too
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 3rd Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    saver-j
    Hi there,

So we went to the mothercare event. Didn't attend all the talks, but the first aid one was good and we're probably going to do a class as a result of that. There wasn't a hard sell on anything which was nice, but good opportunity to look at a few different things. Not sure we're any closer to an actual decision on pram etc but has narrowed us to a few options. There was even something for the dads timeflies as they could try on a bump and see what it's like for all of a minute! Still got another week to use the voucher as well, though the month must run from their first event which doesn't give as long as I'd hoped but still meant not pressured to buy.

We are thinking of doing shared parental leave, with my oh taking some of the time at the end, but unsure at the moment. Financially it would make most sense to do it for us as I earn more but I'm kind of reluctant to give up too much time off and even though this is Mae money isn't everything. We'll see how it goes though as I'll only get 6 weeks full pay, then I think it's 20 weeks half pay then statutory. I know that could be worse but it will feel like quite a dip.

Twentysomethinggirl I've been getting cramps when I sneeze which is annoying as they really hurt, I've been told that's probably just ligaments too.

Hope all's well with everyone.
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 3rd Jul 17, 10:33 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Glad the event was good saver-j. 6 then 20 is not too bad. I had 13 weeks full then statutory with my first pregnancy. I did save up beforehand and not run out of money. I found I saved by not having a social life This time I'll save by not commuting and buying lunch out!

I've started pregnancy Pilates, which is fab. I thought it'd be a breeze compared to my regular exercise class, but it's surprisingly hard! It really feels good though

hope everyone's cramps/ligament pains are not too bad. Does anyone have a scan before 20something and me in a fortnight?
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 4th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    I've put my name down for a pregnancy yoga class but it's not started yet. I feel like I need to start doing something though, maybe swimming once I feel less exhausted!!!

When does everyone else have their 20 week scans? Mine isn't until 28th July which seems an age away!!!
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 4th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    Do any of you fancy joining or facebook group - it's very quiet at the moment! PM me for details
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 7th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Countrybum - my scan is the 17th, first thing in the morning too which is nice as I'm not good at waiting patiently! On the flip side of that I have to get up an hour earlier than normal to drink the amount required!

I hope everyone is coping well in the heat.

I seem to have a bump forming though it's only noticeable when I'm laying on my back because the fat flops forward when I'm standing I am wondering at what point one should stop sleeping on the front. I've taken to being quite gentle when I roll over but I still always wake up in the morning on my front and I guess soon that's not gonna be the best idea...?
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 9th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    My scan is 24th July - anybody else finding out what "flavour" they're having?? I'm desperate to know! OH and I both think boy but can only agree on girls names so far...

Holiday was fabulous, though I struggled a bit with the heat. I'm a real sun lover and can usually cope easily in full sun up to about 38deg, but it was around 30 in Croatia and I had to keep finding shade and air con... oh and keep dipping my feet in the sea because my ankles were the same size as my thighs we're off to Ibiza for a few days in Sept when I'll be 28wks and I'm already worrying about how I'll cope!!

Back to work tomorrow and NONE of my clothes fit now - a combination of holiday eating and fast-emerging bump.

As for sleeping, I'm worrying as I'm still waking up on my back most days even though I fall asleep on my side/front. I even bought a 12ft pillow using a discount code from Emma's Diary to coccoon myself but still somehow rolling over... (by the way, that pillow is AMAZING!!! Highly recommended to anyone whether pregnant or not!)

Mat leave, I'm due 8th Dec and hope to finish on 30th Nov - won't have much hol left to take before then either, but my holiday year runs Jan-Dec so with my accrued leave for next year I should be able to spin it out to Jan 2019. Hubby works from home and can do flexible hours - as long as he logs 42hrs/wk he can do what he likes so that should hopefully make the whole thing easier as he can watch bub whilst I shower etc... that's the theory at least

Whoops sorry for the essay!! Have a good week everyone x
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 9th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    I kept rolling onto my back and in the end I realised that if there was a problem I'd wake up or I'd move in my sleep- you will eventually get to a point where you just can't lie on your back as its too heavy...I'm 32 weeks now and only have my left or right side and it's an effort to move from one to the other!!! I'm shocked you can still sleep on your front!!
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 9th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Thank you moreofthegoodstuff, that's reassuring!

When I say "on my front" it's sort of side/front - I've always slept in a weird position on my front with my leg bent up underneath me so that props me up from being properly on my front

I did lie on my front when I was sunbathing a couple of times, propped up on my elbows but it wasn't comfy which means now I have quite a brown front and a pale back
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 9th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    Ohh I know what you mean , almost like the recovery position.. Yep that's a favourite of mine as well!!

I never got around to buying one of those pillows as I just prop myself up with a normal pillow and that seems to do the trick, I think it will definitely come in handy for you as you get bigger though as it definitely gets harder finding a nice comfy position! Are you getting kicked much at night?
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 10th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    I'm another recovery position sleeper, much to my husband's annoyance...it must be a female thing that it's more comfortable?

Still no obvious bump here though i weighed myself this morning and I haven't put on any weight yet which I'm quite pleased about.

I might have a look for that pillow. We've just ordered a new bed which be a super king size so we'll fit a bit better and there'd be room for a massive body pillow

Maybe TMI, but anyone else getting itchy nipples?
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 10th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Ooooh I'm so glad I'm not the only Recovery Positioner!! I just showed hubby this thread and he said we're all weirdo sleepers

Not getting kicked yet - I'm 18+3 and only started to feel what I think are slight movements in the last few days

Twentysomething girl I'm jealous of your bed! We can't fit anything bigger than a double in our bedroom and still be practical so hubby is having to make do sharing the bed with me and the massive pillow (not to mention my massive pillows he doesn't seem to mind those though ) My arguement is that I'm technically 2 people at the moment and he's only 1 so I deserve two thirds of the bed...!

And yes to the nipple thing - mine are comedy big at the moment and have been itchy. I had put it down to a combination of the heat while we were on holiday & stretching skin
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 10th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Lurking to say I had the itchy nipple thing! They were burning. Put nipple cream on them- lots of people recommend lanolin, but asda do a good one that is half the price. I'm now 5.5 weeks into breastfeeding and nothing has compared pain wise to the pregnancy itching.

I'm a recovery position sleeper and used to put a pillow between my legs and later on, one under my bump. I used to change sides every time I got up for the toilet.
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 11th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    We are having to rearrange some furniture to fit it in but it's gonna be so worth it! Quite expensive, but hopefully it'll last a good 15-20 years.

I woke up in the night on my front and it hurt a bit and then couldn't get comfy so had an awful nights sleep.

I'll get some cream, thanks for the info. Glad it's not just me with the itching! I'm also going to get some maternity bras as I'm still in my normal underwired ones
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 16th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    saver-j
    Hi all, sorry been a while since I logged on, but thought I should really come and graduate myself as I'm now 26 weeks!

Good luck to all with scans in the next couple of weeks. Hope all goes well. I'll probably keep lurking to see how you're all doing until you join me in the next thread.

*** DO NOT DELETE - To update this list, quote the post and remove the quote boxes ***

Recent graduates (who are still welcome !):

Jojo_fry - EDD 31st August
    saver-j - EDD 22 October

Current list:

2ba3c - EDD 5 November
    TwentySomethingGirl - EDD 4 December
    Timeflies EDD 6 December
    Roz_V - EDD 8 December
    Countrybum- EDD 13 December

WHEN YOU SEE THIS POST DO YOUR PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES!!!
    Last edited by saver-j; 16-07-2017 at 8:24 PM. Reason: quote messed up
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,156Posts Today

8,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin