Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 157
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 12th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Recent graduates (who are still welcome !):

Jojo_fry - EDD 31st August

Current list:

saver-j - EDD 22 October
    2ba3c - EDD 5 November
    TwentySomethingGirl - EDD 4 December
    Roz_V - EDD 8 December

WHEN YOU SEE THIS POST DO YOUR PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES!!!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 15th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Hi

I hope everyone is well, and coping in the heat!

I've got a couple of questions of ladies further along than me or 2nd+ time mums...

First question is when did you start to feel movement? I'm 15+3 and people keep asking but I haven't felt a thing.

The second question is regarding an appointment. I got a letter through for an appointment at the hospital at 23 weeks with no explanation so I've just called and they said it's a consultant appointment. It seems (from Googleing) that consultants are usually if you've had problems in a previous pregnancy, blood pressure issues etc but this is my first pregnancy and my BP and other vitals are all fine as far as I know. I've got my 16 week midwife appointment on Monday so I'm going to ask what it's about but just wondered if anyone else had this appointment?

TIA

TSG
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 15th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Sorry no answers for you on the consultant Twentysomething, can you call your midwife and ask if you can't wait to see her next week?

I'm just a few days behind you, and haven't felt anything yet - I read something that said 17-21 weeks for feeling movements in a first pregnancy but obviously everyone is different.

I'm still struggling to find any smart maternity trousers for work; they all seem to be joggers or leggings... anyone any ideas?
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 15th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    cats2012
    Twentysomethinggirl definitely ask your midwife. I had mine due to having hypothyroidism - do you have any sort of medical condition?

As for movement. I now think I felt flutters around 19 ish weeks but I only felt proper definite movement around 22 weeks.
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 15th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Hi

Thanks for the replies. I have no medical conditions, no previous pregnancies, BP has always been fine and they've not told me that there's been any problems with blood tests. The only thing I can think of is that I'm overweight - BMI of 34 - but my sister is pregnant and is a similar build and weight to me and she didn't have any consultant appointments. I'll attempt to stop Googleing and add it to my list of questions for Monday.

Roz - I think my sister got some nice work maternity stuff from Next
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 15th Jun 17, 9:10 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    saver-j
    Hi Twentysomethinggirl, can't answer you on the consultant appointment either but hopefully your midwife will be able to tell you.

On movement I'm 21 weeks and I have only really felt it in the last few days. It can depend on where the placenta is. Afriend of mine who's pregnant with her second has had both an anterior and posterior placenta and said the difference between what she felt was huge. Try not to worry too much about it. (Easier said than done I know, I was starting to get really worried when everyone kept asking me if I had or not, only really relaxed after 20 week scan when I could see lots of movement even though I still couldn't feel it).

Roz_V for work maternity trousers I got a pair from @sda, didn't want to spend a fortune and figured I could return easily enough in store if they were no good. The fabric quality isn't the best and not what I'd usually go for but they're smart enough for the amount of wear I'll get out of them and can't complain at less than £10.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 15th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    arbrighton
    It may well be BMI but criteria seem different for every NHS trust so unless you and sister are under care of same trust, whether your sister did or didn't get consultant appts is not an indicator.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 15th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    arbrighton
    And on movement- I felt funny little bubbles around 15 weeks and was definitely feeling things by 16-17 weeks when I next had midwife. And bean hasn't stopped since!
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 15th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Timeflies
    oOOh, it's been a fortnight since I've popped by, hello everyone!

Twentysomethingggirl - I was 14 weeks I think when I first felt little one move. Apparently you don't normally notice it til 18 weeks or so with your first (this is my second).

The front of your birth notes show say if you are consultant led or midwife led (should have been explained at 8 week appointment too). I was midwife led with my first, but am consultant led this time. Sounds like you're consultant led too, so the consultant is seeing you in that appointment. Reasons for being consultant led include high BMI, diabetes, epilepsy & other health conditions, being over 40, having twins, having had a difficult birth before.

Hello and congrats countrybum! Brilliant to be here after your long journey.

Roz V - one pair of my smart work trousers are foreign and two pairs are from New Look from my last pregnancy. I ordered about 9 pairs of plain black trousers online, tried them on at home, and returned the rest to the store. You really can't tell how trousers are gping to look online! Some were like clown pants, some were too close fitting on the legs... I'm glad your boss took your news well

Welcome to the group too 2ba3c!

Thanks for doing the due date list saver-j!

Anyone else still suffering sickness? I'm 15+1 now, so hoping it'll go in the next week or so!
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 15th Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Timeflies
    *** DO NOT DELETE - To update this list, quote the post and remove the quote boxes ***

Current list:

saver-j - EDD 22 October
    2ba3c - EDD 5 November
    Timeflies EDD 6 December
    Roz_V - EDD 8 December

• Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 21st Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Wow the 3 of us are all close in EDD aren't we?!

I'll place my bet now that I'll still be the last to drop though!

I don't think I've felt any movements yet, midwife appt tomorrow at 15+6 then holiday for 2 weeks - cannot wait to relax in the sun (with air con!!)

It's much cooler up here now, hope everyone else isn't suffering too much! x
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 21st Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    So I had the midwife appointment and heard the heartbeat! It sounds like a little train on tracks <3

The consultant is because of my BMI and she said I should have been told that...

I also had to call up because I hadn't had a date for the 20 week scan which is now booked for 17th July. Apparently the sonographer and receptionist at my 12 week scan should have booked it when I paid for the picture but they said it would come by post.

So apart from some mis-communication all is well this end. Struggling a bit with the heat, I had to leave work early yesterday because of a bad headache and feeling sick and I keep waking up before 6am so I'm knackered!

ETA: Enjoy your holiday Roz! I'm jealous, our holiday isn't til August and gonna be sweltering! Where are you going?

Timeflies, my sickness has eased off dramatically though I was sick this morning, not sure if that's to do with the heat though...
    Last edited by TwentySomethingGirl; 21-06-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 22nd Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    *** DO NOT DELETE - To update this list, quote the post and remove the quote boxes ***

Current list:

saver-j - EDD 22 October
    2ba3c - EDD 5 November
    Timeflies EDD 6 December
    Roz_V - EDD 8 December
    Countrybum- EDD 13 December

• countrybum
    • By countrybum 22nd Jun 17, 9:05 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    I'm 15+1 and haven't felt any movements yet. I can't remember when I started feeling anything last time although I did have an anterior placenta so that did affect what I felt.

Glad you've got it cleared up re being consultant led TwentySomething. I'm consultant led because of the IVF and I was born with a cleft lip & palate
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 22nd Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    saver-j
    Hi all, how's everyone doing? I am very glad it's cooled down a bit now, really didn't feel like I could enjoy the warm weather. Dread to think what it would have been like if I'd been further on.

I've spotted there's some mothercare expectant parents events on at the moment / over the next few weeks. Anyone been or planning to go? Anyone know if they're any good? I know you get 10% off if you go which might be worth it although we've not made many decisions about prams car seats nursery etc. Think I'm still a bit wary and will probably end up holding off purchasing until after 24 weeks.

I'm also debating nct classes at the moment. Any of you 2nd (or more) timers done these? What did you think?
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 23rd Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl

I've spotted there's some mothercare expectant parents events on at the moment / over the next few weeks. Anyone been or planning to go? Anyone know if they're any good? I know you get 10% off if you go which might be worth it although we've not made many decisions about prams car seats nursery etc. Think I'm still a bit wary and will probably end up holding off purchasing until after 24 weeks.
    Originally posted by saver-j
    Just un-lurking to say we went to one of these and it wasn't a hard sell at all and there were talks on prams, car seats nursery furniture and demos. The 10% voucher was valid for a month and could be used online so you're not rushed into using it.
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 23rd Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    We went to an NCT antenatal course for our first and would highly recommend it. We made some great friend and we still see them regularly 4.5 years on
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 24th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    When are you all thinking of starting maternity leave in relation to your EDD?
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 24th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    saver-j
    Thanks penguingirl, really good to know the 10% is valid for a month.

And thanks re nct countrybum, the friends thing is what I've read most about it, but good to hear of someone having personal experience of it.

As for mat leave I'm starting just 1 week before edd, but taking some holiday before that so will be off from 37 weeks I think. How about you?
    • countrybum
    • By countrybum 25th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    countrybum
    Tbh, the main reason we did the NCT class was to hopefully meet some friends as we didn't know anybody with children.

As for maternity leave I'm not sure. Last time I took 2 weeks leave then started mat leave at about 38+4 then she was born 2 days later!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,222Posts Today

8,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin