Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 28th Nov 14, 7:15 PM
    • 747Posts
    • 1,239Thanks
    lcc86
    A new debt free journey
    • 28th Nov 14, 7:15 PM
    A new debt free journey 28th Nov 14 at 7:15 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker but first time poster. I was reading the 1% challenge and it's inspired me. So here's the background...

Moved out of home aged 21 but stupidly thought I could keep spending as if I still lived at home. I wanted to maintain my lifestyle and social life! I ended up spending thousands on credit card and loans for cars, clothes, nights out, even my rent when I felt like it. I don't think I truly understood at that time how stupid it was to withdraw cash from a credit card to pay your rent, but we live and learn!

I was able to get a mortgage aged 25 due to some inheritance and then it really hit me that I needed to change.

I consolidated my debts into one loan, got a second job, and absolutely worked myself into the ground for 2 years to clear the best part of 10k in useless debt (with nothing to show for said debt either).

Then in March I was almost debt free when I was offered my dream job. The only catch was it was a 60 mile daily commute and my car was nowhere near economical enough. I worked out that I'd be better off borrowing than trying to save while paying out loads for fuel. So I reluctantly took the plunge, borrowing from parents and a 0% credit card.

I then decided my home really needed decorating as it was shabby and had nothing of my own personality in it, and I dont know what happened but I ended up putting another 2k on credit card. So, back there again, and I decided to consolidate as my 0% was due to end so now I've just got a loan, which will cost me all in £8624 inckuding interest over 5 years. But I worked so hard to be debt free and came so close that I want to do it quicker, and was inspired by the 1% challenge another poster has used.

I've decided to amend it a little and just save 1% whenever I can and pay it off while selling unwanted goods and taking on a little additional part time work. I can't work as much as I'd like due to studying, so progress may be slower than it was last time, but I'm desperate to be debt free again properly this time!

Yesterday was pay day so I set aside my first 1% (rounded it up to £87) and got it paid this morning! I'm £20 on my way to my second 1%. I've listed some things on Amazon to sell (I won't use eBay due to fraud), will put any work expenses towards my debt, any additional wages and money not spent from my petrol/food allowance. I'm not crafty at all so am mainly going to have to rely on selling stuff and working more to do this, but here's hoping I can do it forever this time!!

I hope you can join me on this journey
Page 29
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 7th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    This week has gone quickly! Work is picking up a bit and I finally seem to be doing a bit more of what I should've been doing from the start, so I'm a happy bunny on that front.

Booked piggy in for his op next week. Going to use the money I saved towards my citizenship as well as the vet fund. I can apply for my citizenship any time so it's not the end of the world if I use that money. I'm just hoping this is the last of it now as my wallet's taking a hit and he probably isn't enjoying all these trips to the vet!

There also seems to be some progress on the house front and there's a CHANCE we could be moving this time next week. We've had so many false starts that I don't want to get my hopes up!

Financially things aren't so bad. Still waiting for a few direct debits to go through but I have quite a lot of spare money, which will be going towards moving costs. I did buy a new jumper today which wasn't in my budget. It cost £15 which isn't the end of the world but I still feel guilty lol.

Plans for the weekend are to do some walking, horse riding, gym and me and OH plan to go on a little date somewhere. I need to try and fit some packing in as well and do some cooking for the week ahead. Such a crazy life I lead!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Haven't updated for a while. The weekend was pretty good. I had an awful headache all weekend but didn't want to sit in bed all day, so I went horse riding and went for a walk on Saturday, and on Sunday OH and I went to London to do some sight seeing and bit of Christmas shopping. It was a really good weekend, but did nothing for my headache! That was the only downside. Finally feeling better now although it's still lingering a bit.

Work has also been busy and a little frustrating, just in terms of some of the other workers I coordinate being about as useful as a chocolate teapot and leaving us open to complaints from parents... Really, really bad and it reflects so badly on my service,so I have a lot on my plate in that regard which needs organizing.

I'm working from home today, piggy is in having his op, haven't heard anything yet and am starting to worry. He should've been done by now...

Looking at exchanging contracts on the house on Friday potentially with a view to moving some time next week. Not a moment too soon, my buyer's solicitor are driving me crazy! Have started packing properly, I don't actually have that much to pack now that I've started doing it but I still feel like the whole thing is going to be daunting and stressful.

Moneywise everything is okay to be honest. Plodding along nicely and if we do move next week, I'll have the funds released from the profit of the sale of my current place to pay £5,000 off my credit card. It won't quite be clear but I'll only have a few hundred pounds left to pay, plus about £450 on my Very account for buying furniture, so all heading in 100% the right direction.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Oct 16, 1:14 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sorry that you were suffering over the weekend, I totally sympathise.

Hope piggy is ok? No news is often good news.

Exciting news on the moving, hate packing, must be a good feeling to be almost totally debt free once the funds are released.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi PMO2, he is fine and back home looking rather dishevelled and grumpy! Vet fund no longer exists so that'll have to be a priority now.

Not sure how I feel about impending almost-debt-free-ness, I honestly don't really think about it, probably because I've been in debt for nearly 10 years, my entire adult life, so it's just 'the norm'. It's such a bad mentality but it's the reality of my life! Not for much longer though and I'm determined to never go back once I'm free (aside from the mortgage but that can't be helped!!).

Back to work tomorrow, it'll be a late one, then I'm taking Friday off to make calls about changing my address and going to start the dreaded cleaning.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 15th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Didn't exchange on the house yesterday as planned. Seems that we plan to exchange every Friday but it doesn't quite happen! Hopefully it'll happen on Monday.

I did loads of cleaning yesterday - the house was rather disgusting I'm ashamed to say! glad I got it all done, if I'd left it until moving day it would've been a nightmare. I've done as much packing as possible now, nothing else can be done until we know the date. Made arrangements to update my address with various companies, moved the Internet provision over etc. It feels less stressful now that I've done those things, it's just more stuff ticked off.

Money wise I really haven't got much to say at all. It's all just ticking along, been making £1 payments to my Very account every day. I haven't planned to make a payment to my credit card as we should be moving and I should be able to practically clear it when the next statement comes in. But that's assuming we ever get this move sorted. So frustrated with it all, it's dragging on unnecessarily because of a rubbish solicitor (not mine thank god).

This weekend has been quiet so far. Did some dog walking for a friend earlier, then did a top up shop and have been indoors since. The weather is pretty atrocious so no plans to leave the house now! Tomorrow I'm volunteering all morning, then OH and I are going to a local Halloween attraction in the evening which should be fun. Tickets were paid for ages ago so the only expense will be a bit of food and a hot drink as it's all outside.

Gonna have a soak in the bath later and just chill watching TV before having an early night!
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 15th Oct 16, 11:02 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Fingers crossed you exchange soon, I hate that limbo feeling.

You sound like you're ready to go when the time comes, best of luck
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2779 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th Oct 16, 7:18 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning,

Fingers crossed with the exchange and well done on the cleaning.

Exciting times Hun xx

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,456 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hope it all gets sorted really soon x
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 20th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Must say I've neglected my diary recently, but the good news is that we've exchanged! Finally happened yesterday, and we complete and move next Tuesday. Excited but also nervous about the move. It's weird to think each day is one day closer to a new chapter. I'll miss my little flat, although I've outgrown it now it was the first place for a good few years that I could call home.

Still making my £1 payments to Very. Haven't made my CC payment yet, am waiting for the funds from the house sale to come through so that I can pay £5,000 off. If there are any unexpected expenses which I can't cover I may have to use a little money but I don't think (fingers crossed) that there will be, and we've saved a lot over the last few months.

The last few days have been really stressful waiting for news about the flat, and I really, really had the urge to spend and kept browsing online at some of my wish lists. I'm glad I resisted but it's obvious that I use spending as a source of stress relief at times, so it's good to recognise that.

I know that once I'm debt free I'll still have to be really strict with myself to avoid falling back into old habits and will probably maintain a diary on here somewhere! But I mustn't get ahead of myself, I'll still have a bit of work to do to clear that final bit of debt anyway before I can think about being debt free!!
    Last edited by lcc86; 20-10-2016 at 6:38 PM.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 20th Oct 16, 9:17 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Wonderful news Hun. Really happy for you

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 23rd Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    This weekend has been unexpectedly great so far. I didn't have anything planned apart from horse riding yesterday morning and then packing up, but got a call from OH's sister who had tickets to Harry Potter world and a spa hotel and she couldn't make it so she asked us to go so that it didn't go to waste. I've never seen any of the HP films - not really my thing - but it was very enjoyable and the hotel was amazing. It was soooooooo nice to get away from everything and just chill out and pamper ourselves. It really was perfect timing. Of course I feel like we need to pay OH's sister back asap as it wasn't cheap but we'll work that out once we've moved.

So plans for today are to do everything that I should've done yesterday and try and get 99% of the house packed and ready to go.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 26th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Well we have finally moved!! It was so stressful and I was absolutely shattered by the end of the day. My legs are still aching. Have spent today just unpacking and trying to make sense of what goes where! But it's all good.

My solicitor is sending me a cheque for the money which I'm using to clear my debts so not quite debt free yet! But not far either. I paid £500 off my cc this morning just so I've covered the payment before the cut off. Not sure when I'll get to the bank to pay the cheque in.

Lots to do in the new house, the previous owner took everything, including stuff they said they'd leave... Even down to the things that screw lampshades in, so we have to buy new light fittings just to be able to put lampshades on... Ah well, not worth arguing over tbh.

Plans for tomorrow are more cleaning and sorting stuff out!
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 27th Oct 16, 5:48 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Happy new home and yay to being nearly debt free

• lcc86
    • By lcc86 27th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Happy new home and yay to being nearly debt free
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thanks pmo2, good luck with your job hunting and interviews, I have been lurking your thread but not had time to post.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 27th Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Thank you. You've been a busy bee, I'm surprised you've managed to lurk lol

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 27th Oct 16, 8:50 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,456 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Happy new home LCC - enjoy it! (Once the stress of unpacking etc has died down)
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 27th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Ahhh we have internet now in our new house, so I can finally come online on the computer rather than my phone and write a proper post! I've spent most of the day so far cleaning and assembling furniture, filling holes in the wall etc. This house feels like a full time job on its own! it's starting to become home though and that's what's important. I've just been for a walk as well which was nice and quiet, barely a soul around, which is weird considering we're only a 5 minute drive from our old house, but the difference is crazy. It's very peaceful around here, and even though we're right by the train station it still feels quieter than when I heard trains passing at the old house. Perhaps it's in my mind and I just conditioned myself to think it was louder before, who knows!!

Anyway, the cheque has been received from the solicitor, and I've done all the maths correctly (I hope!). I should be able to completely clear my credit card and make a payment to my Very account. I bought some curtains and blinds on there yesterday - didn't have much choice, the previous owners left nothing and anyone can see in at night - so I'll be able to clear that, and a little more hopefully. I should have about £350 left overall, but I can't pay the cheque in until tomorrow so it won't happen straight away.

Right, time to review October's targets I suppose as November is creeping up on us.

1. Extra PAD to my Very account - achieved, although I have added to the balance. Saying that, I'll be able to reduce it soon enough so am not too concerned.

2. Finish my course work - not exactly... I did the observation which I needed to get done, which is a huge weight off my shoulders. I just didn't make any time whatsoever to sit down and finish the theory side. Must make time for that in November or December, I have to submit in January.

3. Start Christmas shopping - made a very cursory start. I was so preoccupied with moving that I didn't really do much though, just a gift for my parents and also my work secret santa gift as well.

4. Do something for myself every weekend - managed this every week. It was mainly stuff like going for a walk, or going for a bite to eat. Harry Potter world and the spa hotel were a very pleasant surprise as well to cap it off nicely. It definitely helped to lift my mood and that was the aim so glad I did it.

5. Go back to weekly budgets - on the whole this worked. It went out the window a bit on moving day and I overspent because of a few minor unexpected things, like light bulbs and takeaway, but not going to beat myself up over that. I'll continue this in November.
    Originally posted by lcc86
    I have barely given any thought to November's targets, so they are a bit same-y:

1. Finish coursework. I really have no excuse for this now! I must set aside a day or two and just get it done.

2. Make a plan for paying the remainder of my debt. Once the cheque clears and I clear the credit card and some of my Very account, I just want to try and blitz it and get it paid off as quickly as possible.

3. Complete online Italian course. This actually started two weeks ago, but I've been so busy I haven't sat down and done any of it, so I must make time for that too. I used to learn Italian as a child as I have family from there, but I've forgotten it all and would like to pick it up again.

I think I might just leave it there for November. There are loads of things I'd like to put as targets, like decorate the bedroom, but I know that I'll struggle for time as my weekends are filling up already, so it'll be pointless as I know I won't be able to do it.

Right, must get back to what seems like neverending cleaning. Shopping delivery is coming later on, I also need to take all my cardboard boxes to the local recycling centre as I have far too many for the little green bin you get! Payday tomorrow so I also need to sit and finalise my budget too. No rest for the wicked
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 29th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    I've paid £2,000 off my debt over the last couple of days. A very satisfying feeling indeed!! I'm just waiting for the cheque to clear from my solicitor and then I'll be able to clear the rest of the credit card completely I do feel that I've cheated a bit doing it this way but I'm not going to knock it, being debt free is something I've wanted for years.

Not much to report today, went to parkrun, first time in ages and I did fine, quite enjoyed it today. OH and I have been shopping and bought some bits for the house as well, DIY bits mainly but also a nice big mirror. Going to do some DIY this afternoon and then cooking. Tomorrow I'm volunteering at RDA before going back to work on Monday, booooo.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 30th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Florence J
    I'm so happy for you, lovely news to read. Don't feel that you 'cheated' in anyway, the universe just decided to show you some kindness.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £300.44/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 30th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    Thanks Florence, that's very kind of you!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter