NST December Challenge - Festive and Frugal

:xmastree: NST December Challenge – Festive and Frugal :xmastree:

During this festive and final month of the year, it is time to reflect on how rich we all truly are and how our lives have been enriched in the last 12 months. Our family and friends are our greatest assets, and during this festive period, it is time to take stock and appreciate everyone and everything that we have.
However, it is also time to prepare for the next 12 months and to make sure that Christmas does not leave us with a financial hangover. This month we will focus on what we have achieved, what we want to achieve and how to get there.

Rules for the challenge are below. Please do not repost all the rules in your responses as this will make the thread too long.

Rules of the challenge:

1. The challenge will run from 00:00 on 1st December to 23:59 on 31st December.

2. Set ALL your budgets at the beginning of the month – plan ahead by making a list of any Christmas events, presents, extra travel that you will be doing. Budget accordingly, be frugal but realistic.

3. Pay towards your debt first. No exceptions, just because it’s Christmas, it doesn’t mean your debt isn’t still there. If you are debt free, put aside some money for savings first.

4. Achieve 15 Spend Free Days (SFDs) – if you only purchase yellow sticker items or prescriptions/medication on a day, then it still counts as a SFD. If you have any regular expenses that must be paid on the day (e.g. kids clubs, bus tickets etc) put this money aside at the start of the month and as long as you stick to the budgeted amount, it will not lose you a SFD.

5. £5 in donations to your local food bank/homeless charity – perhaps you could donate food to be served at a homeless shelter over the festive period.

6. Plan all your outings for the month now and make sure you have included them in your budget, including travel. Then, resist the temptation to accept those last minute invitations (unless they are free). Think about how each outing/spend impacts on your ability to tackle your debt – I know that a cheap takeaway costs me the same as paying off about 0.1% of my debt and a night on the town can cost that same as paying off 0.5% of my debt. This always helps me turn down events!

7. Take your lunch to work every day – no exceptions.

8. Keep all spending to a minimum – no coffee shops, canteens, vending machines etc.

9. Do a good deed – maybe you have an elderly neighbour that requires help with their Christmas shopping, maybe your local school could do with an extra volunteer at one of their Christmas events – I’m sure you are more imaginative than me, so let us all know what you are planning.

10. Write down 5 achievements that you have accomplished in the last year – these can be any achievements; personal, educational, occupational, financial etc.

Everyone is welcome to join. Just let me know you want to be involved and I will assign you a number, and then let us know your budgets, achievements etc.
LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid

Comments

• Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2014 at 3:15AM
    Challengers

1. Fmess
    2. CEW
    3. Apple muncher
    4. Piggybankshaker
    5. Coffeeandstitches
    6. Thriftylass
    7. Traveller
    8. Stewby
    9. Kaspadoc
    10. Calling14
    11. liltdiddylilt
    12. samiszel
    13. Caeraugirl
    14. LoveaDove
    15. ilovetea
    16. nannygladys
    17. Dottydaisy
    18. Missu
    19. speakingofart
    20. Maria3104
    21. shyspender
    22. sazzlebgood
    23. skintscotlass
    24. allie23
    25. Wanna Bee Free
    26. vintagebrighton
    27. aphidgirl
    28. Bex296
    29. OctoberStarter
    30. applejack07
    31. mothernerd
    32. synonymous
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • CEW
    CEW Posts: 407
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Fmess

Thanks for running the December thread. Please count me in and I promise to participate fully this month :o

Chez x
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Hi,

Can I join you this month please?
    • Mortgage over-payments to date: = £16,746
    • Original redemption date: August 2043
    • Current redemption date: July 2041
    • Debt: £15,930
    • Savings: £12,430
  • I'm in please :)

Thank you all so much for letting me join late last month, looking forward to my first 'proper' full month. Is it sad that I can't wait to sit down with the calculator, tea and excel tonight and rip the month apart to make a budget? :j:j:j:j
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm in please :)

Thank you all so much for letting me join late last month, looking forward to my first 'proper' full month. Is it sad that I can't wait to sit down with the calculator, tea and excel tonight and rip the month apart to make a budget? :j:j:j:j

Welcome to the club, I have to resist doing my budgets too early in the month!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh I'm in. Thank you.

Should be a challenging month
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Yay! I'm in :) Thanks for running this months FMESS.
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
  • I followed the November challenge and you guys rock!!

Count me in for December please :j

Kaspadoc
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds great Fmess throw me into the mix x
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure